Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced

Also from the THQ Nordic dealie comes the announcement of Outcast 2 - A New Beginning. The title suggests a prequel, but this is a follow-up to Outcast, set 20 years after the original action/adventure (which was released a bit over 20 years ago). Cast your eyes on the Announcement Trailer and the World Trailer, which shows off some gameplay. Here's more:
Your friendly neighborhood invader-slayer is back: Cutter Slade returns to the spectacular alien world of Adelpha in Outcast 2 - A New Beginning. Twenty years after the events of the first game, Adelpha finds itself under threat of invasion: a ruthless robot army is exploiting the planet and is enslaving and even killing the people. Cutter's mission is clear: organize a resistance, rescue the people, and get rid of the invaders. Outcast 2 is developed by the original team behind the first Outcast Adventure - Appeal Studios from Belgium. The open-world action-adventure features fast-paced 3rd person combat as well as a non-linear Science-Fantasy story with dynamic plot progress based on player actions. Outcast 2 is currently in development for PC, PS5™ and Xbox Series S/X.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced
Sep 18, 2021, 13:01
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 13:01
Sep 18, 2021, 13:01

Quinn wrote on Sep 18, 2021, 12:08:
I don't feel like I'm triggered. I know there is racism and glass ceilings. I just don't think we'll fix these things by screening protagonists as poc for poc sake. It has a "preaching to the choir" element, don't you think? This is why I used successful black protagonists/characters as an example. Not a single good movie or game or show has flopped because a character was poc. Maybe for being woke 🤷 but that's something else entirely, and a difference many here and in other places don't seem to understand.
Ok, sorry for using that loaded word, triggering per se, kind of a malicious joke.
Can't deny I've been kind of a proud "woke" and feminism sympahetic since the 70's, an outlier in a super macho superiority country.
Dissenting amiably with all my friends *and their girlfriends who didn't dare to oppose the trend or where comfortably domesticated into the dogma*, so ...

Sep 18, 2021, 12:08
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 12:08
Sep 18, 2021, 12:08

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 18, 2021, 09:55:
Quinn, don't get so triggered man.

Not that important, I could be wrong, whatever.

But, responding to your analysis, from *my experience* in my country (your mileage may vary) my best boss ever was a brilliant woman of color, many years after the game.
Even so she has a ceiling in the hierarchy, I don't believe she will be able/permitted to overcome that.

It is evident to me *here*, that for other women to be recognized and successful in a given position, she has to be much more capable than a man. The same applies to poc.

In 1999, I was somewhat shocked and I didn't like at first that the hero *seemed* poc to me.
Looked up a gameplay video. Yep, my take now also.
The more I played, the more I liked it, the breaking of gaming conventions, talk about game influence.

Give it up Quinn, you have deep issues.
I too, some early teachings and breeding traits are rather unconquerable.

I don't feel like I'm triggered. I know there is racism and glass ceilings. I just don't think we'll fix these things by screening protagonists as poc for poc sake. It has a "preaching to the choir" element, don't you think? This is why I used successful black protagonists/characters as an example. Not a single good movie or game or show has flopped because a character was poc. Maybe for being woke 🤷 but that's something else entirely, and a difference many here and in other places don't seem to understand.
Currently playing: Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, Evil Dead: The Game, Sea of Thieves, Ragnarock, Beat Saber

Sep 18, 2021, 10:40
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 10:40
Sep 18, 2021, 10:40

Thanks RedEye9 !
*Money for nothing music* I want my, I want my, I want my poc Sladeeee ... Cry

Sep 18, 2021, 10:14
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 10:14
Sep 18, 2021, 10:14

Asked and answered.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/336610/discussions/0/135513901709630897/
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 18, 2021, 09:55
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 09:55
Sep 18, 2021, 09:55

Quinn, don't get so triggered man.

Not that important, I could be wrong, whatever.

But, responding to your analysis, from *my experience* in my country (your mileage may vary) my best boss ever was a brilliant woman of color, many years after the game.
Even so she has a ceiling in the hierarchy, I don't believe she will be able/permitted to overcome that.

It is evident to me *here*, that for other women to be recognized and successful in a given position, she has to be much more capable than a man. The same applies to poc.

In 1999, I was somewhat shocked and I didn't like at first that the hero *seemed* poc to me.
Looked up a gameplay video. Yep, my take now also.
The more I played, the more I liked it, the breaking of gaming conventions, talk about game influence.

Give it up Quinn, you have deep issues.
I too, some early teachings and breeding traits are rather unconquerable.

Sep 18, 2021, 06:43
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 06:43
Sep 18, 2021, 06:43

What a great game the original was in 2011. Jump to 2012 and when I started playing Guild Wars 2, it seemed to me the devs for that game had taken lots of notes from Outcast. The zone designs, the portal gates, even the pallets used, seem very similar to me.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Sep 18, 2021, 03:20
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 03:20
Sep 18, 2021, 03:20

The original Outcast was amazing also because it was very original and revolutionary with regards to AI -- man, that AI. And don't forget the mounts. That was new too. Let alone the gameplay, the graphics also were the talk of the town.

I hope Outcast 2 can do something that makes it stand out. The games "lately" all do the same stuff with a different coating. I laughed when ppl said the new Aliens game is just a zombie horde games with Aliens paint and I was like yeah, that's Aliens ffs xD And after all, what else is new? Every game these days is just like game X in a different skin. I thought VR would change things but so far I've mostly seen half-assed cash-grabs with few exceptions.
Currently playing: Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, Evil Dead: The Game, Sea of Thieves, Ragnarock, Beat Saber

Sep 18, 2021, 02:54
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 02:54
Sep 18, 2021, 02:54

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 18, 2021, 00:46:
A_Thein, I never had a doubt he was poc or of mixed ancestry, and I considered it another brilliancy in the 1999 game.
May be wrong, but the 2017 white hero remake seems a little cheap whitewashing, a mistake changing the perfect previous characterization.
Not that it impedes my enjoyment of the game in any way.

What had you believe he was a poc? He always looked like a white No idea what's "brilliant" about having a poc protagonist. Or a white protagonist. Let's try to consider skin color as important as hair color. To say it's brilliant is to imply you'd applaud picking a poc just for the sake of skin color; for some political reason. Rubs me the wrong way somehow. "Look how brave we are for picking a poc protagonist". Aren't the first Walking Dead tall tale games with the black protagonist the ones that sold best, and/or with the best critical score? Isn't Michonne one of the most fan-favorite characters? I see no proof nowhere that picking a poc character brings any risk or needs any bravery unless it's so obviously done for the "look how brilliantly brave we are", quote unquote woke reasons.

Sep 18, 2021, 00:46
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 18, 2021, 00:46
Sep 18, 2021, 00:46

A_Thein, I never had a doubt he was poc or of mixed ancestry, and I considered it another brilliancy in the 1999 game.
May be wrong, but the 2017 white hero remake seems a little cheap whitewashing, a mistake changing the perfect previous characterization.
Not that it impedes my enjoyment of the game in any way.

Sep 17, 2021, 23:45
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 17, 2021, 23:45
Sep 17, 2021, 23:45

Lol I always thought Cutter Slade was black. Now that I think of it, when I was playing this with my computer, I was using a "booster video card", a Canopus, which literally took the vga output from my 3dfx card as an input, then had its own output. I remember it made games run a lot better and higher detail, but made them darker. I guess that's why for the longest time I thought Cutter was black.

/not race baiting etc., just thought it was funny

Sep 17, 2021, 21:27
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 17, 2021, 21:27
Sep 17, 2021, 21:27

Hope it's as good as the first game.
*Not* to be confused with :
"Outcast Second Contact" the 2017 enhanced version in a new engine -no voxels- of the so much loved original classic.
Never mind the "Second" silliness, 85% score in Steam reviews.
Seems you can't crawl in this version, only crouch.

Nor is it Outcast 1.1, the 2014 enhanced version of the original, but not so much graphically, still voxels.

Sep 17, 2021, 18:54
Re: Outcast 2 - A New Beginning Announced Sep 17, 2021, 18:54
Sep 17, 2021, 18:54

That's me, Herc! That's me!

Visuals look sweet at any rate.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older