13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Sep 16, 2021, 16:45
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 16:45
Sep 16, 2021, 16:45

I agree my health is more important than my net worth (for the most part =p), but I prefer both of them to be "good".
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 16, 2021, 16:41
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 16:41
Sep 16, 2021, 16:41

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 16:15:
LordSteev wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 15:24:
As far as seatbelts and helmets, hey, the world is overpopulated, anyway. These laws were put in place by insurance companies, plain and simple. And yes, they do encroach on freedom.
I might agree with that if only people impacted by not wearing seatbelts and helmets was those people. But it causes both my car insurance and my health insurance rates to go up -- that "freedom" costs everyone else money. Refusing care to people who won't wear a seatbelt/helmet or won't get vaccinated isn't some we can do even if we wanted to or thought it was the "right" thing to do.

Hey Mr. Tact, I usually agree with your posts, so it's a pleasure to have a friendly debate like this. I'd argue that since more motorcycle crashes without helmets are fatal, they may be lowering your insurance, instead. The law stands in the way of pure Darwinism. If someone wants to risk their own life and maybe kill themselves, I'm all for it. I think you should be free to persue your own demise. I do a 180 on vaccination, because then you're risking the health and possibly the lives of everyone you come into contact with.

Sep 16, 2021, 16:15
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 16:15
Sep 16, 2021, 16:15

LordSteev wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 15:24:
As far as seatbelts and helmets, hey, the world is overpopulated, anyway. These laws were put in place by insurance companies, plain and simple. And yes, they do encroach on freedom.
I might agree with that if only people impacted by not wearing seatbelts and helmets was those people. But it causes both my car insurance and my health insurance rates to go up -- that "freedom" costs everyone else money. Refusing care to people who won't wear a seatbelt/helmet or won't get vaccinated isn't some we can do even if we wanted to or thought it was the "right" thing to do.

Sep 16, 2021, 15:24
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 15:24
Sep 16, 2021, 15:24

Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 08:45:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 08:37:
Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 07:47:
Reminds me of all the horrible takes that seatbelt laws destroyed our freedom. That was in the 80s. Everyone agrees those beliefs were moronic then...
Do they? Although I haven't heard it recently it would not shock me in the least to find out there is a "small group" of people who still think seat belt laws should be repealed. Plenty of people are still fighting against motorcycle helmet laws. My question would be how big is that "small group"? 10% of the population? Bigger?

By now, the loudest voices have grown up with seatbelt rules. If you're, say, 45 or under, you either don't or barely remember a time before seatbelts. They're grandfathered into your view of freedom.

Motorcycle helmets still bafflingly aren't mandatory everywhere. So, that's new to a lot of people.

People that endlessly talk about "freedom" are really just people that hate anything new, or having to ingest and react to new information. I also think part of it is what someone called the American fragility to being told they're wrong. If you're told something is newly considered bad, and you never previously considered it bad, that means you were wrong, and you couldn't possibly have been wrong, so those calling it bad must be the ones who are wrong.

Weird. Hi, I'm Beamer, and I frequently find out I'm wrong because I misunderstood something, misread something, made a bad assumption about something, or just believed what was known to be true but then had new information be discovered. For example, I was wrong to think Jason Garrett wouldn't be terrible against the Broncos.

I have to disagree completely with your correlation between freedom and hating anything new. That is two unrelated topics, unless that something new actually DOES impinge on freedom. People who don't want to get vaxed are just idiots. They may use a freedom argument, but it's just plain ignorance combined with selfishness. Selfishness because they don't take into account at all how their actions actually endanger others. Or they just don't care. As far as seatbelts and helmets, hey, the world is overpopulated, anyway. These laws were put in place by insurance companies, plain and simple. And yes, they do encroach on freedom.

Sep 16, 2021, 09:34
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 09:34
Sep 16, 2021, 09:34

I would agree most people are far too reluctant to consider they might be wrong. Hell, that's often my starting position. "Maybe I'm wrong but isn't x, y and z?"

Sep 16, 2021, 08:45
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 08:45
Sep 16, 2021, 08:45

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 08:37:
Reminds me of all the horrible takes that seatbelt laws destroyed our freedom. That was in the 80s. Everyone agrees those beliefs were moronic then...
Do they? Although I haven't heard it recently it would not shock me in the least to find out there is a "small group" of people who still think seat belt laws should be repealed. Plenty of people are still fighting against motorcycle helmet laws. My question would be how big is that "small group"? 10% of the population? Bigger?

By now, the loudest voices have grown up with seatbelt rules. If you're, say, 45 or under, you either don't or barely remember a time before seatbelts. They're grandfathered into your view of freedom.

Motorcycle helmets still bafflingly aren't mandatory everywhere. So, that's new to a lot of people.

People that endlessly talk about "freedom" are really just people that hate anything new, or having to ingest and react to new information. I also think part of it is what someone called the American fragility to being told they're wrong. If you're told something is newly considered bad, and you never previously considered it bad, that means you were wrong, and you couldn't possibly have been wrong, so those calling it bad must be the ones who are wrong.

Weird. Hi, I'm Beamer, and I frequently find out I'm wrong because I misunderstood something, misread something, made a bad assumption about something, or just believed what was known to be true but then had new information be discovered. For example, I was wrong to think Jason Garrett wouldn't be terrible against the Broncos.

Sep 16, 2021, 08:37
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 08:37
Sep 16, 2021, 08:37

Sep 16, 2021, 07:47
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 07:47
Sep 16, 2021, 07:47

LordSteev wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 05:46:
For some reason, my fellow Americans have regressed into childhood and only feel comfortable electing 'father figures' well past their mental prime. Everyone puts an emphasis on 'being safe' these days, over being free, being independent, and having privacy. It's weird, especially from Democrats, who want to be progressive. You can't elect nursing home aged candidates and not expect to have some old school, nursing home problems and beliefs baked in. In the digital age, we are still electing candidates who didn't have a TV for a big part of their life. How is someone like that ever supposed to approach digital age problems like hacking and ransomware and companies being held hostage? It's like asking Trump to create a propulsion drive.

In the last election, we had two of our oldest candidates ever. It's mortifying.

But how can you be "free" if you aren't safe? Somehow some Americans think anything new is a slight to their freedom, which is also mortifying. We should be smarter than this, especially since vaccine mandates are as old, and American, as apple pie. But some Americans hold onto some perceived"freedom" so hard they're willing to let their neighbors die unnecessarily for it.

Sep 16, 2021, 05:46
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 05:46
Sep 16, 2021, 05:46

For some reason, my fellow Americans have regressed into childhood and only feel comfortable electing 'father figures' well past their mental prime. Everyone puts an emphasis on 'being safe' these days, over being free, being independent, and having privacy. It's weird, especially from Democrats, who want to be progressive. You can't elect nursing home aged candidates and not expect to have some old school, nursing home problems and beliefs baked in. In the digital age, we are still electing candidates who didn't have a TV for a big part of their life. How is someone like that ever supposed to approach digital age problems like hacking and ransomware and companies being held hostage? It's like asking Trump to create a propulsion drive.

Sep 15, 2021, 12:08
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2021, 12:08
Sep 15, 2021, 12:08

Maybe it is time to implement a maximum age for presidency, just like there is a minimum age....

Sep 15, 2021, 11:43
NKD
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2021, 11:43
Sep 15, 2021, 11:43
NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 15, 2021, 09:57:
WaltSee wrote on Sep 15, 2021, 09:27:
Poor old man can't even hold an authentic press conference.
As opposed to all the authentic press conferences held by his predecessor... Rolleyes

We cant all be "very stable geniuses"

Sep 15, 2021, 09:57
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2021, 09:57
Sep 15, 2021, 09:57

WaltSee wrote on Sep 15, 2021, 09:27:
Poor old man can't even hold an authentic press conference.
As opposed to all the authentic press conferences held by his predecessor... Rolleyes

Sep 15, 2021, 09:27
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2021, 09:27
Sep 15, 2021, 09:27

I hate to be the one to belabor the obvious, but Biden is completely senile...;) Nothing baffling about that, imo. Poor old man can't even hold an authentic press conference.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older