Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development

Funcom announces it will continue to create games based on Conan the Barbarian, saying it has acquired full control of the rights to the character along with dozens of other intellectual properties. This is part of the purchase of Cabinet Group, home to Conan, Mutant Year Zero, Solomon Kane, and other IPs. Word is at least one unannounced project pertaining to this news is already in development:
Cabinet Group’s entire portfolio will be incorporated into the IP studio and Funcom subsidiary Heroic Signatures. Funcom CEO Rui Casais said he has high ambitions for the IPs and noted at least one unannounced project is already in development.

“We are currently overseeing the development of an unannounced game which will combine many of the characters in the Robert E. Howard universe,” said Casais. “And if you combine Funcom’s knowledge of games with Heroic Signatures’ knowledge of the TV/entertainment, publishing, and licensing industries, it makes us perfectly placed to take this venture to the next level. It’s exciting times ahead for us and for fans of the IPs.”
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development
Sep 15, 2021, 00:54
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 15, 2021, 00:54
Sep 15, 2021, 00:54

GothicWizard wrote on Sep 15, 2021, 00:40:
Osc8r wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 17:57:
Instead of improving gameplay add adding content, they just kept selling skins and other BS.

Game could have been brilliant if they put in a little effort.

What in blue hell are you talking about?

They HAVE added a TON of features and content. There is only like 12 paid DLCs. They added climbing, mounts/mounted combat, dungeons, monster types, craftables and weapon/armors all for free since launch just to name some of the additions.

So please.

lol, those things should have been in there from the start... or shortly after, not years later!

The dungeons are still complete jokes, that can't even be called dungeons or content. The 'bosses' are just HP sponges, with zero tactics or skill involved.

The invasions/raids on your base are still laughable.

But oh wow, here's some new building pieces with new skins. $10, please come again.

Oh, and defensive much?

Sep 15, 2021, 00:40
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 15, 2021, 00:40
Sep 15, 2021, 00:40

Osc8r wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 17:57:
Instead of improving gameplay add adding content, they just kept selling skins and other BS.

What in blue hell are you talking about?

They HAVE added a TON of features and content. There is only like 12 paid DLCs. They added climbing, mounts/mounted combat, dungeons, monster types, craftables and weapon/armors all for free since launch just to name some of the additions.

So please.

Sep 14, 2021, 22:26
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 22:26
Sep 14, 2021, 22:26

I'm a fan of The Secret World, despite them screwing over customers and never fixing it.
Iirc, at one point when the game was not on sale it would have cost $300 usd.
They just overcharged everyone till they stop playing.

I've played Conan, it was ok but I prefer playing mage type toons.
I originally played the necro iirc, it was so badly balanced you could do more damage with the base spell rapid firing then higher level spells.
Then summoning an undead group, fried frame rates for everyone, so they were banned from raids and group, iirc.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Sep 14, 2021, 17:57
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 17:57
Sep 14, 2021, 17:57

I really liked Exiles as well... the core gameplay was great, but such wasted potential (like most funcom games).

Age Of Conan was much the same story, so much potential wasted....

Sep 14, 2021, 17:28
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 17:28
Sep 14, 2021, 17:28

A stellar set of IPs (Conan, Kull, Kane) anchored to an entirely lackluster company that churns out equally lackluster games.

Yes, I have played Conan Exiles as I own it. It was lackluster last year when I last returned to it in terms of how well it represented Howard's version of Conan. I would put CE on par with de Camp's attempts at Conan.

I'd much rather play a Dragon Age-esque Conan RPG. Even a Mount and Blade style Conan ARPG would be pretty nifty. You could start off as someone from the Cimmerians/Æsir/Vanir, Aquilonia, Stygia, Hyrkania, etc. and either carve out your own kingdom or work within the service of one of the other, pre-existing kingdoms.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 14, 2021, 16:44
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 16:44
Sep 14, 2021, 16:44

Bought Exiles in EA and actually have a hosted Exiles server running now that a few friends play on. Enjoyable game.....if a bit grindy.

Would love to see it improved with more direction and immersive dungeons as part of the MMO/Survival game. The whole "wander through three rooms and fight the boss" gets really tired after seeing in over and over.

Sep 14, 2021, 16:42
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 16:42
Sep 14, 2021, 16:42

I still love CE a lot and will be playing it off and on for years to come. I'd certainly be down with a new Anarchy Online. I'd love to see a Solomon Kane game. I always like the film too - fan of James Purefoy and Pete Postlewaithe - and rewatch it every now and then.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Sep 14, 2021, 15:55
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 15:55
Sep 14, 2021, 15:55

Forget Conan, Tencent/Funcom are sitting on the IP for the next generation MMORPG. (Anarchy Online II)

I played Conan Unchained till around level 50 where you really can't progress unless you buy several never on sale expansions. It was ok, some of the map designs were outstanding, but the rest of the game was pretty cooky cutter MMO fare.

I also bought into Conan Unconquerd. Big mistake. Think a low grade Conan flavored clone of C&C with the same cramped isometeric view, with insane waves coming at a rate, the game is totally about APM.

Whats next a third rate Conan flavored knock off of X-COM, Diablo, or Hearthstone?

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2021, 06:53.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Sep 14, 2021, 14:44
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 14:44
Sep 14, 2021, 14:44

I'm also a big fan of Conan Exiles. I think they did a really good job sticking with it and patching it up after a rocky launch. It was the kind of game that was a bit refreshing because it was basically an mmorpg/survival hybrid. There should be more games like that because the formula works quite well (i.e. standard mmorpgs aren't much fun anymore)

Sep 14, 2021, 14:15
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 14:15
Sep 14, 2021, 14:15

Hmmm.

I could see a Single/4pCo-op game with this. Grab all the maps from the Age of Conan MMO from '08, and update them a bit. String different quests between the maps for different stories. Class system, maybe? Barbarian/Wizard/Thief/Archer, specializations in each. Skill systems for different weapon types. Missions ranging from heists all the way to clearing out a cave or abandoned castle of beasts. Not a heavy loot system, though, as master-crafted weapons were definitely rarer in such a setting. hm.

Curse of the Reptillians
Sep 14, 2021, 13:20
Curse of the Reptillians Sep 14, 2021, 13:20
Sep 14, 2021, 13:20

Fion wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 12:39:
I'm a massive fan of the Conan IP and the original works of Robert E Howard. Conan Exiles is an excellent game (and Mutant Year Zero was very good as well), so more games in the Conan universe can only be a good thing.

Serpent Men are a fictional race created by Robert E. Howard for his King Kull tales. They first appeared in "The Shadow Kingdom", published in Weird Tales in August 1929. The subjects of masks and identity are repeated throughout the story. The most obvious instance of this is the Serpent Men's ability of disguise through magic and their use of this to steal identities at will. Kull, as a barbarian, sees the diplomacy and politics of Valusia (and the others of the Seven Empires) as a form of illusion. Early in the story, before the Serpent Men appear, Kull's thoughts on the matter are described:

Strange to him were the intrigues of court and palace, army and people. All was like a masquerade, where men and women hid their real thoughts with a smooth mask.

Musing on his own identity later in the story, Kull extends the mask metaphor to himself:

Was it the real Kull who sat upon the throne or was it the real Kull who had scaled the hills of Atlantis, harried the far isles of the sunset, and laughed upon the green roaring tides of the Atlantean sea? How could a man be so many different men in a lifetime? For Kull knew that there were many Kulls and he wondered which was the real Kull. After all, the priests of the Serpent went a step further in their magic, for all men wore masks, and many a different mask with each different man or woman; and Kull wondered if a serpent did not lurk under every mask.

Robert E. Howard and his stories tell, among other things, of the Serpent Men trying to conquer the world once again, around 20,000 years ago, where Kull from Atlantis reigned over the Valusia Kingdom, located on the west coast of the main continent of Thuria. The ancient Serpent Empire was based on sorcery and alchemy, but collapsed with the rise of the dinosaurs about 225 million years ago during the Triassic era. The Serpent Men originally ruled over humans in Valusia, but were defeated and almost wiped out in humanity's battle for survival against the "elder things", which predated even them. Over time, humans dominated Valusia and the Serpent Men became a legend. The Serpent Men, one of the few surviving "elder things", infiltrated human society and ruled from behind the scenes for a time, but were again discovered, defeated, and cast out in a secret war. However, they later repeated this tactic. Soon, they added the front of a Snake Cult religion, which gained power and influence within Valusia while the Serpent Men used their abilities of disguise to murder or replace each reigning monarch.

Sep 14, 2021, 13:12
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 13:12
Sep 14, 2021, 13:12

true story: i actually got a job offer from Funcom when they were developing Anarchy Online... they were looking for level editors, and wanted Quake 2 MP maps as submissions - apparently they liked mine and we had a couple phone interviews and everything - they told me to get my work visa ready (since the job was in Norway), so I got a passport and all the rest of the stuff - then all of a sudden they ghosted me and wouldnt answer my calls... i was pretty bummed out for a while on that one

Sep 14, 2021, 12:39
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 12:39
Sep 14, 2021, 12:39

I'm a massive fan of the Conan IP and the original works of Robert E Howard. Conan Exiles is an excellent game (and Mutant Year Zero was very good as well), so more games in the Conan universe can only be a good thing.

Sep 14, 2021, 12:30
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 12:30
Sep 14, 2021, 12:30

FunCom and Conan mabey it be a new MMO the boobs and dongs will jiggle now when you play it - edit: oh this may have been an extra bad play on words

Sep 14, 2021, 12:05
Re: Funcom Acquires Conan the Barbarian IP; New Game in Development Sep 14, 2021, 12:05
Sep 14, 2021, 12:05

Mutant Year Zero is one of those titles that I felt had a lot of potential for a sequel. I played through that entire game on Hard and even through the final encounter, it was only ever about coordinating sneak attacks around a map to break down to the smallest final encounter possible (since any non-stealth attack would pull an entire map's worth of bad guys down on you). It made for a satisfying gameplay loop, but it's too repetitive for a longer campaign and the mechanics get pretty asinine towards the end. On the last mission I used a crit-shot stealth kill on a giant mech, which then exploded into an enormous inferno yet somehow did not alert allies standing 20 feet away because of the stealth status. But the game has loads of aesthetic charm and of the XCOM knockoffs out there, it's one of the better ones. A true sequel (not Corruption 2029, which felt like MYZ 1.5 mechanically but had zero personality) that captures the charm of the first game while fleshing out the stealth and giving you more tactical options and campaign variety would probably turn out pretty great.
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older