New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking

New version 21.9.1 AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers are now available from AMD Support, offering updated support for AMD graphics cards. These include a new Auto Overclocking feature for AMD-Powered Desktop PCs: "Gamers with Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards and Ryzen 5000 Series Desktop Processors can now enjoy a streamlined, easy-to-use overclocking experience. Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.9.1 brings Ryzen and Radeon performance tuning together into one simple-to-use tab, including an auto-overclocking feature to boost performance on both Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards and Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs." These also add support for Deathloop, Call of Duty: Vanguard Open Beta, and more:
Support For

• Deathloop™
  • Call of Duty® Vanguard Open Beta
  • AMD Smart Access Memory on Radeon™ RX 5000 Series Graphics

Added Vulkan® Support

• VK_KHR_zero_initialize_workgroup_memory
    • This extension allows implementations to use the null constant initializer on shader workgroup memory variables. This in turn allows applications that run untrusted content to defeat memory-scraping attacks.
  • VK_KHR_shader_integer_dot_product
    • This extension adds support for the integer dot product SPIR-V instructions defined in SPV_KHR_integer_dot_product. The SPV_KHR_integer_dot_product extension allows dot product operations on integer vectors with optional accumulation. In addition to allowing dot product operations for all input vector types, it also allows integer dot product for 4-component vectors of 8-bit integers that are packed into 32-bit integers.
  • VK_EXT_shader_atomic_float2
    • This extension provides shaders with the capability to perform 16-bit floating-point atomic operations on buffer and workgroup memory. It additionally allows floating-point atomic minimum and maximum operations on buffer, workgroup, and image memory.
  • VK_EXT_load_store_op_none
    • This extension allows an application to specify the contents within the render area that will not modified or can be expected to be undefined after rendering.

Fixed Issues

• Visual artifacts in PAYDAY™ 2 may be observed during gameplay on some AMD Graphics products such as Radeon™ RX 6800 XT.
  • Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
  • On Radeon™ RX 5500 XT Graphics, higher than expected memory clock speed and power consumption may be experienced when idle and the display’s resolution and refresh rate are set to specific values such as 1080p @ 60Hz.
  • While playing Assassin’s Creed® Odyssey, driver timeouts or black screens may be experienced on some AMD Graphics products such as Radeon™ RX 480 Graphics when the user quickly navigates through the game menus or swiftly looks around an environment with their character.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking
Sep 15, 2021, 19:27
Re: New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking Sep 15, 2021, 19:27
Sep 15, 2021, 19:27

Thanks jacobvandy, good info indeed, will consider it to appease my "better safe" leaning !

Sep 14, 2021, 13:31
Re: New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking Sep 14, 2021, 13:31
Sep 14, 2021, 13:31

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 23:14:
Half Life unforeseen consequences music.
Forcing/heating hardware beyond normal specs at today prices and availability, with faster deterioration risk.
Even slight, no thanks.

That's not a thing anymore, new GPUs are smart enough to take care of themselves regardless of what you tell it to do. But they all automatically overclock themselves about as far as they can go within their power and thermal limits, with a "boost clock" as much as 30-40% higher than the "base clock" listed in the specs.

I haven't had an AMD card in a while, but I know for the NVIDIA 3000 series, its max clock is reached when it's around 60-65 degrees, which is about 50-100MHz higher than when it's at 80 degrees, and stock settings tell it to start drastically lowering that speed when exceeding 83-85 degrees (quickly reducing by around 100-150MHz to stay cool). I.e. an average RTX 3080 will realistically peak between 1950-2000MHz, compared to the specs saying 1440MHz base and 1710MHz boost.

This is why manually telling it to go higher doesn't really do much, 'cause the higher speed just makes it reach the power draw and/or temperature limit that much faster and cut speed down to stay within safety limits. In fact, setting the clock too high is usually worse for performance, since you end up "bouncing" off of those limits and causing repeated fluctuations in clock speed. Better to leave it alone or even do the new popular tweak, undervolting, which is to reduce power usage and tell it to not try raising the clock quite so high so you get a steady 95% performance with 10-20% lower wattage and temps.

Unless you have some crazy custom cooling, in which case you can do whatever you want. Some people hit 2200MHz+ that way, but that's a lot of money to spend for an extra ~10% performance boost.

Sep 13, 2021, 23:14
Re: New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking Sep 13, 2021, 23:14
Sep 13, 2021, 23:14

Half Life unforeseen consequences music.
Forcing/heating hardware beyond normal specs at today prices and availability, with faster deterioration risk.
Even slight, no thanks.

Sep 13, 2021, 22:33
Re: New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking Sep 13, 2021, 22:33
Sep 13, 2021, 22:33

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 20:31:
Todays semiconductors don't leave much headroom for overclocking. It's not worth the hassle imho, either that or I'm getting old.

There's no point in overclocking for 99.9999999% of users because the bottleneck is no longer being CPU bound with modern, non-bargain bin procs.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 13, 2021, 20:41
Re: New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking Sep 13, 2021, 20:41
Sep 13, 2021, 20:41

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 20:31:
Todays semiconductors don't leave much headroom for overclocking. It's not worth the hassle imho, either that or I'm getting old.
Overclocking is passe.

Sep 13, 2021, 20:31
Re: New AMD Drivers Add AMD Auto Overclocking Sep 13, 2021, 20:31
Sep 13, 2021, 20:31

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older