Out of the Blue

A post on Kotaku (thanks Neutronbeam) notes that yesterday was the 18th anniversary of the launch of Steam. The service had been previously available in beta, but version 1.0 was indeed released on September 12, 2003. There's a lot of criticism these days of the Epic Games Store and whether it properly stacks up as a competitor to Steam, so it's a bit ironic to look back and see how irate gamers were about Steam at the time. There are an awful lot of posts about canceling Half-Life 2 preorders after learning the game would require Steam. Time certainly can heal all wounds.

Steamy Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 14, 2021, 16:02
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 16:02
Sep 14, 2021, 16:02

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 15:44:
1badmf wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 04:03:
...you didn't get happily ever after...

You miss the point. At no time did I say I wanted a happy ending. What I said was the ending was garbage because it completely invalidates the sole reason for V's entire quest. Why spend hours trying to preserve V's agency if it doesn't matter at all and never did? Why the struggle with Johnny in the beginning? Why bother at all to go after Hellman and Alt if none of it matters? There is no agency if there is no choice. "Sticking it to the man" is functionally useless in that regard. It's just bad writing. I'm not looking for Dostoyevsky out of CDPR but I am looking for internally consistent logic and it utterly failed at that.

It's good you enjoyed it. I did not. Neither of us will change positions.
ACG was thoroughly disappointed.
I bet if he re-reviewed it again it would receive a "wait for sale" rating.
https://youtu.be/wAb1eqhUfRA
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 14, 2021, 15:44
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 15:44
Sep 14, 2021, 15:44

1badmf wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 04:03:
...you didn't get happily ever after...

You miss the point. At no time did I say I wanted a happy ending. What I said was the ending was garbage because it completely invalidates the sole reason for V's entire quest. Why spend hours trying to preserve V's agency if it doesn't matter at all and never did? Why the struggle with Johnny in the beginning? Why bother at all to go after Hellman and Alt if none of it matters? There is no agency if there is no choice. "Sticking it to the man" is functionally useless in that regard. It's just bad writing. I'm not looking for Dostoyevsky out of CDPR but I am looking for internally consistent logic and it utterly failed at that.

It's good you enjoyed it. I did not. Neither of us will change positions.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 14, 2021, 12:42
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 12:42
Sep 14, 2021, 12:42

Yeah, HL2 was the trigger for me logging into Steam for the first time. And I wasn't particularly happy about it either. It was a least a couple of years before I started buying games there. I lived close enough to civilization this driving problem wasn't an issue.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 14, 2021, 11:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 11:52
Sep 14, 2021, 11:52

After reading that Steam would be required even for physical copies of HL2, and after getting over that initial anger, I decided to pre-order HL2 Silver through Steam. The only place to get software in my town was Walmart or Gamestop. I believe our Gamestop had completely stopped carrying PC games, and Walmart was always a week or more behind on getting new releases. If I wanted to play HL2 at release, that meant driving my ass 50 miles to the next nearest city with software stores and back. After coming to the realization of how convenient it would be to just download it and play, I decided to give it a try.

I remember reading about people having a lot of problem getting HL2 working on release day, but I personally don't remember too much trouble with it. I pre-loaded it a week or so before release, and I didn't try playing it right at release hour either. It was later in the afternoon/evening when I was able to. I do remember it taking quite a bit of time to decrypt the files, but I had no connection issues.

I still continued to buy physical games for the next few years, ordering from Amazon or NewEgg. Looking at my Steam purchase history, it looks like my first, non Valve purchase on Steam was Prey in 2008. I guess 2009 was the first summer sale because I bought quite a bit then.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Sep 14, 2021, 07:57
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 07:57
Sep 14, 2021, 07:57

Jonjonz wrote on Sep 14, 2021, 07:06:
If you were a PC gamer before Steam, you know what a godsend it is.

The horrors of praying that some retail outlet withing 100 miles of you would order the game you wanted and they would have it in stock when you drove all the way there. The awful pitifully small selection found in retail outlets like Gamestop (the PC section was a single two sided shoulder height rack.). The poser clerks basking in thier gatekeeper status, and sniffing disinterest if the game you inquire about is not on thier personal 10 best list.
Having to wade through throngs of grade schoolers stuck to the demo consoles.

Finding Jagged Alliance was so damn hard.

Sep 14, 2021, 07:06
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 07:06
Sep 14, 2021, 07:06

If you were a PC gamer before Steam, you know what a godsend it is.

The horrors of praying that some retail outlet withing 100 miles of you would order the game you wanted and they would have it in stock when you drove all the way there. The awful pitifully small selection found in retail outlets like Gamestop (the PC section was a single two sided shoulder height rack.). The poser clerks basking in thier gatekeeper status, and sniffing disinterest if the game you inquire about is not on thier personal 10 best list.
Having to wade through throngs of grade schoolers stuck to the demo consoles.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Sep 14, 2021, 04:16
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 04:16
Sep 14, 2021, 04:16
 Prez

I remember when Half-Life 2 released. I didn't care that it required Steam; I cared that it worked, which it didn't. Boy was I mad.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 14, 2021, 04:03
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 04:03
Sep 14, 2021, 04:03

i beat the game like a month ago and i didn't experience any of that. well not the glitches anyway. and i'm playing on oldass hardware too - ryzen 1/vega 64, albeit still at max settings.

you didn't get happily ever after, but honestly in a story like that you're dreaming if you thought that was even a possibility, and honestly imo would've been a bad ending anyway. V got his agency - he stuck it to the man and got out with what was left of a life and freedom. there's a reason people shit on the original happy ending of blade runner - it ruined the feel and tone of the film. would've been the same case here. for the tone of the story the ending was perfect, and not for nothing, but i'll be shocked if one of the story DLCs isn't a coda on the ending that give a more conclusive finale.

but i still don't see a reason to give up on CDPR. nothing they did was evil or even immoral.

Sep 14, 2021, 01:30
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2021, 01:30
Sep 14, 2021, 01:30

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 23:52:
Hey Texas Bluesers, stay safe: sounds like Hurricane Nicholas is going to pound eastern TX. I think most of our regular commenters aren't in that area, but just in case.

Aclesius and I are Central and RedEye is West. But thank you for your kind thoughts.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 13, 2021, 23:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 23:52
Sep 13, 2021, 23:52

Hey Texas Bluesers, stay safe: sounds like Hurricane Nicholas is going to pound eastern TX. I think most of our regular commenters aren't in that area, but just in case.
With great freedom comes great responsibility.

Sep 13, 2021, 23:18
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 23:18
Sep 13, 2021, 23:18

1badmf wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 20:19:
any particular reason? i know it was a buggy mess out the gate, but it wasn't the first and won't be the last. once they quashed most of the bugs it was a fantastic story driven game.

A friend and I were breaking down CP2077 today as we both had just been able to finish it. For reference, he has Intel/Nvidia (10 series something/2080) hardware and I have AMD hardware (3700X/5700XT). He's on Win10 21H1 and I am on Fedora 34 running it via Proton.

We experienced the same issues:
*Prior to 1.3, we would randomly fall through the world.
*Missions would break. Examples: for him, he could never finish the Delamaine sidequest. The last two cars just never spawned. For me, there were three cyberpsychos who just stood there, took no damage, and never moved. For me, every time I tried a Corpo start, the elevator at the beginning never opened. For him, after escaping with Jackie after the Relic mission goes sideways, Jackie would never get in the elevator.
*Draw distances were fucked. I tried the mods, I did the txt/ini file but more often than not, I looked at low poly models with smeared, low res textures. Both he and I also experienced the same phenomenon that if you were in a really fast car (like the Shion Coyote) and drove at max speed for about two minutes, the game just gave up on trying to load in people or cars. You could literally drive around an entirely empty city.
*The ending was garbage. WARNING SPOILERS. You spend the entire game fighting to hold on to your own agency. In the final moments, your choice is to die or...become a process in a hive mind AI. What was the whole fucking point in fighting for that agency in the first place, then? Even if beyond the Blackwall was something utterly fantastic, the game was also utterly underwhelming in messaging that to the player. Oh, yay, AIs fighting each other for...reasons. Why? Who cares, it doesn't matter since it wasn't elaborated on with any depth.
*An "alive" city that wasn't. Sure, you had people wandering the city but if you paid attention, you'd see the exact same character model walk past you four times. I mean exact. No deviation whatsoever. Lots of buildings, 99% of them useless. Oh side missions? Let's break those down; somebody's getting mugged, a crime is happening, steal something, kill someone, and rescue someone. Zzzzzzzz.
*Your own fucked up version of Jimminy Cricket, Johnny Silverhand, was as one note as they come. "Oh, look at me, I'm Johnny Silverhand. I fuck, I'm a rebel terrorist, and corps suck because people are miserable." Yay, cool, awesome. Congratulations on regurgitating the same shit that's been written about in sci-fi since the 60s. CDPR had every opportunity to make that even a little more nuanced and they fell flat on their faces.

Once you divorce yourself from the hype, it's a 5.5-6/10 game and wasn't worth waiting the 10 months for just so I could play a game where I didn't fall through the goddamned world at random points and intervals.

Sep 13, 2021, 22:59
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 22:59
Sep 13, 2021, 22:59

This, too, could be posted today:

Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2005, 12:13:
I still don't agree with people claiming that the internet connection requirement is a problem. It's Valve's game, it was late 2004 - requiring an internet connection is really not something to get very worked up over. Don't have one, can't play. Much like you couldn't if you didn't have a CD drive.

On the other hand, if playing in offline mode is as big of an issue as people are claiming, I can see that being a problem. Sometimes your internet is down. If you had to jump through hoops just to play I'd be a bit miffed, as it seems unnecessary.

I've had no issues with Steam, at all, and have actually been fairly happy with it. I'm not overjoyed, and wouldn't say I prefer it over it not being there, it just hasn't affected me one way or the other.

Sep 13, 2021, 22:50
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 22:50
Sep 13, 2021, 22:50

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 20:48:
I should go back through my BN comment history and see how I reacted. But whenever I start reading my old comments, it's like I'm reading comments from a completely different person 😂

Here's my third post mentioning Steam:

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2003, 11:37:
I love how that kid is dancing because he didn't like Steam.

If you don't like Steam don't buy the damn game.

Now he's hoping Valve loses money because of this? Smart. I'd assume you're a fan of HL, because people that don't like HL have no reason to care about Steam. But you're hoping Valve loses money, which would probably kill any chance of a decent HL3. So you hope something you don't like destroys a franchise you do?

Idiot.

90% certain you can replace all those nouns with Epic related ones and it'd look like something I posted this month

Sep 13, 2021, 22:48
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 22:48
Sep 13, 2021, 22:48

Fun fact: Garry from garrysmod is in that Steam thread

Sep 13, 2021, 20:48
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 20:48
Sep 13, 2021, 20:48

I should go back through my BN comment history and see how I reacted. But whenever I start reading my old comments, it's like I'm reading comments from a completely different person 😂

Sep 13, 2021, 20:19
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 20:19
Sep 13, 2021, 20:19

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 19:33:
El Pit wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 17:05:
GOG? Best choice for gamers! And especially buy your CD Projekt games from GOG because this means 100% profit for CDP.
In cases where the developers are self-publishing their games, Epic is a good choice because this way the developers get more profit than Steam would offer.

I only care about the offline installers. Who gets what profit is up to their contract negotiations. As for CDPR games, CP2077 was my last.

any particular reason? i know it was a buggy mess out the gate, but it wasn't the first and won't be the last. once they quashed most of the bugs it was a fantastic story driven game.

Sep 13, 2021, 19:33
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 19:33
Sep 13, 2021, 19:33

El Pit wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 17:05:
GOG? Best choice for gamers! And especially buy your CD Projekt games from GOG because this means 100% profit for CDP.
In cases where the developers are self-publishing their games, Epic is a good choice because this way the developers get more profit than Steam would offer.

I only care about the offline installers. Who gets what profit is up to their contract negotiations. As for CDPR games, CP2077 was my last.

Sep 13, 2021, 18:14
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 18:14
Sep 13, 2021, 18:14

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 15:12:
Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 13:27:
8-7 so far out of the gate with my picks in the pool.

Yeah, an ugly week to be sure. I was 7-8 with MNF left and there is only one maybe two picks in hindsight that I feel like I might have picked differently. That said, someone went 11-4 and another person went 10-5. If those two really know football that much better than the rest of us, it might already be over...

Any given Sunday. Seeing as 90%+ picked the Packers the overwhelming majority of people didn't expect them to lose yesterday, never mind be embarrassed like that. Personally I like it when it's more of a contest as opposed to a given that Team A is going to easily win.

"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Sep 13, 2021, 17:05
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 17:05
Sep 13, 2021, 17:05
 El Pit

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 16:25:
I think I got on Steam with the release of the Orange Box. It's just a service to me, not a way of life. Though recently I have tried to buy from GOG first for the simple fact that I can still install games offline with their installers.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 13, 2021, 16:25
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 16:25
Sep 13, 2021, 16:25

I think I got on Steam with the release of the Orange Box. It's just a service to me, not a way of life. Though recently I have tried to buy from GOG first for the simple fact that I can still install games offline with their installers.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older