Out of the Blue

Well, the NFL season kicked off on Thursday, but today is opening day for most of the league, including my beloved Giants. It will be interesting to see how the Giants do this year. Like many teams, their success will probably hinge on the offensive line. Which means by current indications they may do quite poorly. But our lineman-centric GM Dave Gettleman basically stood pat on the line this summer, so it seems he's confident the existing squad will succeed. Hopefully he's right, as he's basically betting his job on it. And since there's a good chance the team will keep the coach even if they fire the GM after this season, it seems likely that another down season for the G-men will continue the chaos they've experienced since the end of the Tom Coughlin era, and nobody needs that (except fans of the other NFC East teams). Anyway, with only one game down, there's still ample time to join the Blue's News ESPN Pigskin Pick'em 2021 see if you can pick the most winners. It's free to join and just for bragging rights, so what have you got to lose?

Obituary: Abimael Guzmán, Leader of Guerrilla Group That Terrorized Peru, Dies at 86 (may require registration or subscription).

Kick-off Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media
Thanks The Flying Penguin.

View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 13, 2021, 11:22
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 11:22
Sep 13, 2021, 11:22

Jonjonz wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 07:05:
F*ck pointy headed intellectuals and race theorys.

Go discuss it with Tiger Woods, Barack Obama, Stevie Wonder, Eddy Murphy, Colin Powel, Pope Francist, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, on, and on...

And the millions of people of color who are affected by it, your cherry picked examples not withstanding.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 13, 2021, 07:05
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 07:05
Sep 13, 2021, 07:05

F*ck pointy headed intellectuals and race theorys.

Go discuss it with Tiger Woods, Barack Obama, Stevie Wonder, Eddy Murphy, Colin Powel, Pope Francist, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, on, and on...
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Sep 13, 2021, 00:06
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2021, 00:06
Sep 13, 2021, 00:06
 Jivaro

My team, the 49ers hold on, but barely and they probably deserved to lose.
Wife's team, Patriots lose a close one between two bad teams.
My Step-Daughter's team, the Bears, have three quarterbacks and still find a way to lose due to crap quarterback play.
C'mon Raiders, if you lose my house is gonna have gone a very painful 1-3 on opening weekend!

Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy
Sep 12, 2021, 23:29
WarPig

Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 23:29
Sep 12, 2021, 23:29
 WarPig

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially about finding a team fit, but I'm glad I have a job that I don't look at as "just a job, and that's all it'll ever be". I'm also happy that my job is at least a part of my identity and sense of satisfaction (not all, of course, that wouldn't be healthy). Like I've already discussed in this forum, when I retire in a few years I'm going to have to find a way to fill the void I'll probably feel as far as creative problem solving goes. Plus, some of the people I work with are among my best friends, who I've know since the late 80's. They'll still be around, but realistically, how much? But all this being said, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do it for free!

But again, that's just me.

Sep 12, 2021, 22:05
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 22:05
Sep 12, 2021, 22:05

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 16:22:
How to know if your elected representative is dumber than a rock. (Besides the obvious if you vote GQP)
Alaskan GOP lawmaker who refused to follow the simple mask mandate is banned from flying on the state’s leading airline and can’t get to the capital to vote.
Alaska Airlines offered the only flights between her district and Juneau from now through the end of the year. The airline banned her indefinitely in the spring after she clashed with staffers over the airline mask mandate issued by federal transportation officials.
That earns her the coveted womp womp.

The current meme on this behavior is:

Fuck around, find out.

Perfect example of it.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Sep 12, 2021, 21:38
Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 21:38
Sep 12, 2021, 21:38

WarPig wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 17:26:
I don't think I would want a job that I looked at as something solely to fund my life. While I don't "live to work", I definitely don't look at my job as nothing more than a paycheck. For the most part, I enjoy my job and the people I work with. Further more, if I don't do my job well, it can affect those people's jobs and lives - which, of course, is a lot of pressure, but which also gives me a lot of satisfaction. It probably helps that I work for a small company and not a large corporation.

I addressed that previous as "Team fit is a really, really big deal. If you aren't having fun at work, why go at all?" Even so, the point is not to allow your whole identity or sense of satisfaction be solely derived from your employment. It's just a job. That's all it will ever be.

I work for exactly three reasons:
1. Because the US has its head so far up its ass that the idea of a single payer healthcare system is akin to raping babies to death to most of the mouthbreathers. So I need an excellent healthcare package.
2. Because, pre-pandemic, Mrs. Burrito and I loved to travel and not fly in coach for 26 hours and stay in fleabag motels. I'm not putting on airs, I've just discovered that the far better comfort and service levels are worth the money. We would like to continue to travel in the future.
3. I need enough money when I retire to emigrate to one of two different countries where I plan to spend out the rest of my natural days.

Sure, bills and such but those are low and don't require much. The rest after those three things are just gravy.

Too, there is one thing that I learned from the death of someone else. When I die, none is going to extol how many servers I had or what I did. No one will give a shit and rightly so. My production was, and is, pointless in the grand scheme of things outside of being a way to generate revenue. How I lived, and what I did with my life, will be far, far more important and memorable to those I leave behind.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 12, 2021, 19:54
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 19:54
Sep 12, 2021, 19:54

The NFL season has truly begun... the Cleveland Browns went full Cleveland Browns. Rotfl

Sep 12, 2021, 19:43
Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 19:43
Sep 12, 2021, 19:43

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 18:07:
- Mr. Tact,
Never got a job interview:
A services agency directly sent me for a 3 months temporary replacement at an oil company.
Ended in auspicious terms, months later they called me back.
It was more of a "never needed to" than a "never got"....
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 12, 2021, 19:08
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 19:08
Sep 12, 2021, 19:08

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 16:41:
As I believe I have mentioned here before, I only ever did one job interview in my life. And even that one was a situation where I knew as long as I didn't act like an ass or idiot, I was getting the job. At that time I was already 33, mature and knowledgeable enough that I could have done a "real" interview, but I never got the chance. I ended up retiring (being laid off) from that job about 21 years later. I had occasionally wondered, usually as layoffs were happening, how well a real interview would have actually gone. I would guess the number of people who can do a proper interview straight out of college is a lot lower than most would expect.

fully agree. i can say in person i'm a pretty suave motherfucker today, but out of college was a whole different beast. more than a little shy, with much less awareness of how much to push my intelligence, and my sense of humor was much much less refined.

Sep 12, 2021, 18:56
Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 18:56
Sep 12, 2021, 18:56

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 18:42:
-
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 15:02:
One of my duties in my employment is being a "mentor" to students who are about to graduate and enter the real IT world. I'm often asked about "perfect" jobs for their skillset and I tell them bluntly "They don't exist and you'll make yourself miserable trying to find one." I advise them to carefully interview who they want to go work for and research that company deeply. Many of them don't seem to grasp at the outset that an interview is a two way street. I give sanitized examples from my own interviews where I point out candidates who looked awesome on paper but were completely underwhelming face to face. A job that makes you happy isn't one that simply exchanges monetary compensation for labor. Team fit is a really, really big deal. If you aren't having fun at work, why go at all? One of the people I interviewed in 2017 emailed me a week before their interview and asked if I had the time and inclination to give them a brief tour of our AoR so they could get a feel for the place. No one I had ever interviewed or hired had ever asked me that before. Long story short, they came for the tour, met with people they would be working with and others in adjacent teams they would be interacting with, and then a week later showed up the interview in jeans and a t-shirt because most of us wear jeans or shorts and t-shirts or short sleeves. They nailed the interview and work for me still.

One of the things I really stress hard to my minions (including my mentorees who are often doing their practicum under my supervision) is a "Work to live, not live to work". That will increase your job satisfaction tremendously. A job exists solely to fund your life and your adventures therein. That's it. A job is not your life nor should it ever be your life. Nor should a job negatively impact your enjoyment of your life and your relationships therein.

Finally, the last thing I teach my mentorees is the idea of "Corporate Uber Alles" is bullshit. Corporations cannot and do not exist without labor. You hold the power. Remember that and wield it well. You are your best capital and most worthwhile asset. Treat yourself that way and force your employers to treat you that way within the confines of your current knowledge and skillset.
That was memorable BoP. Thanks.
That should be a pinned note in every high school counselors office, job hall and hiring office.
Would better guide so many.
How we fail our kids ...

Sep 12, 2021, 18:42
Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 18:42
Sep 12, 2021, 18:42

-
... *All you wrote* ...
That should be a pinned note in every high school counselors office, job hall and hiring office.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 12, 2021, 18:07
Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 18:07
Sep 12, 2021, 18:07

-
... *All you wrote* ...

- Cutter,
Poor thing, so glad he/she made it. But maybe only cats could reach/police cats
Loving mothers and loving pets, part of the few miracles that our life allows us.

- RedEye9, best example ever, the fuming, the teeth gnashing, LOL

- Mr. Tact,
Never got a job interview:
A services agency directly sent me for a 3 months temporary replacement at an oil company.
Ended in auspicious terms, months later they called me back.

Always saw things like BoP.
So, 42 years later, at 62, the fantastic separation bundle for star employees was a lot more money than working till 65 years old, and tax free by law.
Plus a state lifelong high pension near the maximum permisible value, with health care, till I die.

Kept working hard as ever, but convinced them to let me go (oh, that was high and careful theater). They begged for another 8 months, no deal.
Got the full package, a dining celebration, gifts institutional and from the guys, had to speak various times while desperately trying to escape, .etc.
Leaving the day next, to my unfeigned shock, a surprise standing applause.
Nice, but I knew, the moment I crossed that door I was nobody, history, and the forgetting is mutual.
Visit (never did) once, mmok, visit twice, annoy.

Finally living my dream existence this following 4 years:
Absolutely useless (except to my daughter).

Sep 12, 2021, 17:50
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 17:50
Sep 12, 2021, 17:50

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 12, 2021, 16:41:
I would guess the number of people who can do a proper interview straight out of college is a lot lower than most would expect.

You'd be amazed. Being interviewed is a skill and it's one you need to work on, especially if you're competing for a job with other people. I will often hire the person who interviews better, even if someone else has (on paper) better skills.

Unfortunately for me at the moment, I am finding that I have the opposite problem. I have a lot of roles I need to fill and I'm struggling to find people with the appropriate skills, so I'm actually having to tease out the info from people.

Sep 12, 2021, 17:26
WarPig

Re: How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 17:26
Sep 12, 2021, 17:26
 WarPig

One of the things I really stress hard to my minions (including my mentorees who are often doing their practicum under my supervision) is a "Work to live, not live to work". That will increase your job satisfaction tremendously. A job exists solely to fund your life and your adventures therein.

I don't think I would want a job that I looked at as something solely to fund my life. While I don't "live to work", I definitely don't look at my job as nothing more than a paycheck. For the most part, I enjoy my job and the people I work with. Further more, if I don't do my job well, it can affect those people's jobs and lives - which, of course, is a lot of pressure, but which also gives me a lot of satisfaction. It probably helps that I work for a small company and not a large corporation.

Sep 12, 2021, 16:41
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 16:41
Sep 12, 2021, 16:41

As I believe I have mentioned here before, I only ever did one job interview in my life. And even that one was a situation where I knew as long as I didn't act like an ass or idiot, I was getting the job. At that time I was already 33, mature and knowledgeable enough that I could have done a "real" interview, but I never got the chance. I ended up retiring (being laid off) from that job about 21 years later. I had occasionally wondered, usually as layoffs were happening, how well a real interview would have actually gone. I would guess the number of people who can do a proper interview straight out of college is a lot lower than most would expect.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 12, 2021, 16:22
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 16:22
Sep 12, 2021, 16:22

How to know if your elected representative is dumber than a rock. (Besides the obvious if you vote GQP)
Alaskan GOP lawmaker who refused to follow the simple mask mandate is banned from flying on the state’s leading airline and can’t get to the capital to vote.
Alaska Airlines offered the only flights between her district and Juneau from now through the end of the year. The airline banned her indefinitely in the spring after she clashed with staffers over the airline mask mandate issued by federal transportation officials.
That earns her the coveted womp womp.

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 12, 2021, 15:47
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 15:47
Sep 12, 2021, 15:47

Good to see football back. Still, it's nuts to see those crowds and no masks considering only some stadiums require people to be vaccinated.

Poor cat. What a terrifying ordeal. How the hell did it get there to begin with? I think stadium personnel need to be doing a better job policing animals on premises pre-game.

What if you don't know what makes you happy? What if it's out of your reach financially to do it? What if it's unrealistic - e.g gigolo? Articles like that are completely useless. They always seem to be written by well to do people who can afford to drift from thing to thing without consequence. I knew some rich kids like that. It never mattered if what they did panned out or not they always had a trust fund to fall back on.

The behavior geneticist Kathryn Paige Harden is waging a two-front campaign: on her left are those who assume that genes are irrelevant, on her right those who insist that they’re everything.

As always it's some of column A and some of column B.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy
Sep 12, 2021, 15:02
How to Pick a Job That Will Actually Make You Happy Sep 12, 2021, 15:02
Sep 12, 2021, 15:02

One of my duties in my employment is being a "mentor" to students who are about to graduate and enter the real IT world. I'm often asked about "perfect" jobs for their skillset and I tell them bluntly "They don't exist and you'll make yourself miserable trying to find one." I advise them to carefully interview who they want to go work for and research that company deeply. Many of them don't seem to grasp at the outset that an interview is a two way street. I give sanitized examples from my own interviews where I point out candidates who looked awesome on paper but were completely underwhelming face to face. A job that makes you happy isn't one that simply exchanges monetary compensation for labor. Team fit is a really, really big deal. If you aren't having fun at work, why go at all? One of the people I interviewed in 2017 emailed me a week before their interview and asked if I had the time and inclination to give them a brief tour of our AoR so they could get a feel for the place. No one I had ever interviewed or hired had ever asked me that before. Long story short, they came for the tour, met with people they would be working with and others in adjacent teams they would be interacting with, and then a week later showed up the interview in jeans and a t-shirt because most of us wear jeans or shorts and t-shirts or short sleeves. They nailed the interview and work for me still.

One of the things I really stress hard to my minions (including my mentorees who are often doing their practicum under my supervision) is a "Work to live, not live to work". That will increase your job satisfaction tremendously. A job exists solely to fund your life and your adventures therein. That's it. A job is not your life nor should it ever be your life. Nor should a job negatively impact your enjoyment of your life and your relationships therein.

Finally, the last thing I teach my mentorees is the idea of "Corporate Uber Alles" is bullshit. Corporations cannot and do not exist without labor. You hold the power. Remember that and wield it well. You are your best capital and most worthwhile asset. Treat yourself that way and force your employers to treat you that way within the confines of your current knowledge and skillset.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older