Out of the Blue

The game-themed logo now adorning our desktop view first appeared here on August 19, 2002 to celebrate the coming of Battlefield 1942. We've rolled it out today to commemorate the anniversary of the release of the World War II shooter on September 10, 2002. At least that's the date the game arrived in North America according to Wikipedia. According to the Blue's News archive it actually started showing up in stores on September 12th. Either way, we're right on the 19th anniversary of the game that launched a franchise that remains significant to this day. Hats off to Walter "2" Costinak for creating the logo, and a big thanks to Steve for updating it for our newer format.

Battle-ready Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories
Thanks Max.

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Auction

Follow-up

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 11, 2021, 09:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 09:40
Sep 11, 2021, 09:40

Jonjonz wrote on Sep 11, 2021, 07:47:
My bad side wishes that Fla cop had just ignored the drunk on the golf cart on the highspeed thruway at dusk.
Let Darwin do it's job, but then even worst of us deserve compassion.

I'm still trying to figure out how you could be so drunk, that you accidently get on the turnpike. There's a toll plaza, although granted they're automated now, but they're lit up like Vegas with lots of signs.

She would also have to have driven on non golf cart roads for around five miles to get to the turnpike on ramp.
- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Sep 11, 2021, 07:51
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 07:51
Sep 11, 2021, 07:51

Jonjonz wrote on Sep 11, 2021, 07:47:
My bad side wishes that Fla cop had just ignored the drunk on the golf cart on the highspeed thruway at dusk.
Yeah, except the poor bastard that hits her and either gets injured themselves and/or has to deal with possible guilt over any harm the golf cart driver receives. Not that they should feel guilt about it, but the human mind has it own way of going about things. And that's all on top of the damage to their vehicle...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 11, 2021, 07:47
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 07:47
Sep 11, 2021, 07:47

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Sep 11, 2021, 01:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 01:40
Sep 11, 2021, 01:40

47% Of Dog Owners Experience Separation Anxiety, Survey Finds.

Wait, dog owners, or dogs? The numbers can't be that different...
With great freedom comes great responsibility.

Sep 11, 2021, 00:36
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 00:36
Sep 11, 2021, 00:36

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 14:15:
Annnnd ...
Kudos to Mr. Biden for doing the right thing.
He just saved a 100.000 lives, even if some of the saved are too far gone to notice.

I was surprised he put on his man pants, but then again I thought about the world he grew up in...

Imagine a similar pandemic happening in the 60's or 50's and there is a vaccination campaign. What would it had looked like back then?

They would've put everyone in a line and jabbed, simple, methodical, straightforward.

There would've been fringe cases of exemptions only for people who had a previous history of adverse/unpredicted reactions. The rate is about 0.03% ( and 10 times less for dangerous reactions ) for the Pfizer vaccine. So let's say worst case scenario, about 0.1 of the population had an history of unpredicted vaccine reactions before the pandemic hit, they get an exemption from their doctor, everyone else gets in line and jabbed. That's 99.9% vaccination rate on the first shot. 0.03% of them get an unpredictable adverse reaction, those get an exemption for the second shot 1 month later.

Now, even back then some people would've made a fuss even if they couldn't get an exemption from a doctor because of their medical history.

Well, np, fine, literally, fine them an amount equal to half their bi-weekly paycheck every 2 weeks that they don't get their 1st shot. Make that fine payable when filling for their taxes next year. Send the fine by mail every 2 weeks to be included in the tax report.

Most people will eventually want the amount to stop climbing and will get their 1st shot. For those, tell them that if they also get their 2nd shot, you pardon them their fines in full, no harm done. For the others, if when the time for the 2nd shot comes, they still don't have their 1st shot, you fine them double per 2 weeks, their whole pay, still payable on next year's tax report. Most will eventually choose to get their 2 shots and get pardoned. The very few tiny weeny minority that remains, you can let the justice system deal with them when next year's tax reports come due and they can't make their payments. Announce before the 1st shot that it's mandatory for inmates and people arrested and put into detention to get vaccinated. They don't pay their fines come taxing time, jail and jab... Then release 1 month later.

Peaceful protests? Let them, no consequences.

Anyone riots? Cool! You grab'em, tag'em and jab'em. Watch as the riots of the unvaccinated disappear.

In the end, everyone who had real and reasonable medical reasons not to get a jab, didn't get the jab, those that didn't have medical reasons, well boohoo #sad motherfucker, you're fit for it, you get it.

That's it, done, no whining crybabies doing a bacon dance on the floor while screaming nonsense. No vaccination passport for the countries that do this now, and a minimum of drama.

That's pretty much the world our grand parents grew up in when there was something like this happening. Instead of dividing and going full egotistical, we used to get together in solidarity and stick together through the rough times, doing the right thing, not ( only ) for yourself, but for the community and no bullshit was taken. That's the world Biden grew up in.

And for once, I agree with their methods, seeing how badly we're fucking this up now because we're coddling the bacon dancing crybabies who have ZERO reasonable medical reasons to avoid getting their little arm booboo.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2021, 09:53.

Sep 11, 2021, 00:26
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 00:26
Sep 11, 2021, 00:26

JD you're a better man than me. i'd have just gotten the red ban hammer again. too frustrating arguing with people who, at best, pretend to care about the truth, but in actuality are just slaves to their political indoctrination and will gleefully discard any fact that doesn't fit their hateful narrative.

Sep 10, 2021, 23:09
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 23:09
Sep 10, 2021, 23:09

sliv wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 16:27:
Annnnd ...
He just saved a 100.000 lives, even if some of the saved are too far gone to notice.

No spineless GOP would have faced the backlash and imperiled their treasured follower's vote, the only think they care about.
Their well being is of no consequence to them as 45 proved time and again.

How's that blue pill tasting? ...
Probably better than the poisoned red pill you choked down.
The maga mob have tapped into the worst, dare I say the most DEPLORABLE sentiments throughout this country, and dragged them onto center stage. This is what they are no longer bothering to hide but openly saying out loud - and legislating:

“Women, we no longer care if your pregnancy is the result of sexual assault or rape or your pregnancy might kill you. Have the baby and figure out a way to support it and no we’re not increasing the minimum wage. Shame on you for being a leech on the system.”

“Teachers, show your face in school, no masks allowed. We don’t care if it kills you. Lose your job if you fight back.”

“Children, you’re too little to make decisions. Your life doesn’t really matter anyway because you can’t vote for us. Most of you will make it through intubation. Tell your parents to shut it.”

I typed this while setting outside on my front porch so you would be happy. See, i care about how you feel.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Chuck Norris saves the environment
Sep 10, 2021, 21:02
Chuck Norris saves the environment Sep 10, 2021, 21:02
Sep 10, 2021, 21:02

Yeah... special effects, makes sense.
Now if you want information about reality on carbon "capture".
There's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZgoFyuHC8
And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EA4tDYwNYo

Sep 10, 2021, 20:38
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 20:38
Sep 10, 2021, 20:38

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 15:28:
"Study links too much free time to lower sense of wellbeing". Let me guess, it was sponsored by Jeff Bezos who thinks most of us should be slaving away the entire day, for food only, with a 4 hour sleep cycle.

"I don't understand people who like to work and talk about it like it was some sort of goddamn duty. Doing nothing feels like floating on warm water to me. Delightful, perfect." - Ava Garnder

In the current cult-ural context predicated on the worship of work/productivity as a subjective measure of success and purpose it actually makes sense. It's a "duh" moment.

Outside of it in other cultural contexts you'd see dramatically different results as was extensively documented by anthropologists.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2021, 00:07.

Sep 10, 2021, 20:05
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 20:05
Sep 10, 2021, 20:05

Wow, good words jdreyer.
Fury Road ? Thanks, queued.

Sep 10, 2021, 19:55
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 19:55
Sep 10, 2021, 19:55

You Can Buy the Cars From ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ In Auction.

Just rewatched Fury Road a couple of days ago. Such an amazing movie. The epitome of "show, don't tell."

Sep 10, 2021, 19:53
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 19:53
Sep 10, 2021, 19:53

sliv wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 16:27:

How's that blue pill tasting? Nothing like a little more government control to help it go down.
Since you're bringing up the Blue pill, I assume you lean right politically? Perhaps you missed these recent government control laws from GOP governments:
- 6 week abortion ban
- Banning private social media companies from removing lies from their sites
- Banning private companies from deciding whether or not to require masks for service
The right likes to say they hate overregulation, but they commit just as much of it as the left.

So what about those 97-99.75% of those who've already had it and recovered without any issues? Nobody seems to want to talk about them.
Let's talk about them. We (the US) have (officially) 40M COVID cases, and 640,000 deaths, a CFR of about 1.7%. That has lowered the life expectancy of the US by more than an entire year. As for "recovering without issues," we know that about a quarter of individuals who contract COVID get chronic symptoms and never fully recover.

Oh, they have.
Contracting the virus plus one dose of the vaccine appears to offer the best immunity, yes. But you must take a 1 in 60 chance of death, and 1 in 4 chance of chronic symptoms to achieve that. Or you can get 95% of that immunity by getting just the vaccine with just a 1 in 10 million chance of death. From a statistical perspective, the vaccine alone is the obvious choice. Also, as the article points out, you're twice as likely to get COVID a second time if you don't get the vaccine.

And, honestly, there's no way anyone's making money off of all these little vials of liquid salvation? Any sane person knows you should always follow the money.
Developing medicine is expensive. I have a lot of issues with how big pharma operates, but I'm glad they're making money off of this. That's how capitalism works, and this was money well-spent. Development and testing was expensive, and the results speak for themselves: this has been the safest vaccine rollout in history.

BTW, isn't this a gaming website to talk about games and the gaming industry? Why does politics have to become a daily thing from self-proclaimed "experts"? (who just so happen to comment at all hours of the day. There's a correlation between too much free time and well being, you say?) There are soooo many other websites you can spew your self-informed righteousness (and I'm talking both sides of the aisle here). Blues is pretty much the only site I go to everyday, mostly so I can try to escape all that bs.
OotB is literally the thread to talk about other things: movies, TV, football, the news, and yes COVID. The vast majority of posters keep the other threads on topic.

In the meantime, here's a thought: maybe step away from your weaponized keyboard, get some fresh air outside of your echo chamber, and actually meet some people who believe something different than you. Have an actual conversation. It's amazing how wrong your mass generalizations will actually be. Some of my best friends have very differing views on a lot of things, but we've learned that a) politics isn't everything (even though every news media outlet wants you to think so) and b) we still fully respect each other opinions and viewpoints as we've all come from very different walks of life. I mean, do you even know why someone doesn't want to get the vaccine? Have you asked them, personally, face-to-face? I guess it's just so much easier to vocally hate on people you've never actually met.
Actually, one of my good friends refuses to get the vaccine. He also happens to be the most conspiracy minded person I know. He keeps most of his money in gold because he doesn't trust the banks. He rants about the Illuminati being in charge of the world. Spent several years in WA hunting for bigfoot. He's also a super nice guy who would do anything for you. Luckily, we live in a state with a high vaccination rate, and he works from home, so he's at low risk. I really hope he doesn't contract it though, because he's got comorbidities, and he would likely be hospitalized. And despite our best efforts (we never ended our mask mandate), the state is nearly out of ICU beds thanks to the very high transmissibility of the delta variant.

Sep 10, 2021, 19:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 19:52
Sep 10, 2021, 19:52

I've come to a decision not to argue with people on the net. This is why.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 10, 2021, 18:43
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 18:43
Sep 10, 2021, 18:43
 PHJF

I mean this is OOTB, the one place for discussions not necessarily games related... and given the magnitude of effect the pandemic has had on our lives, I don't think you should be so shocked people are (still) talking about it.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 10, 2021, 18:42
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 18:42
Sep 10, 2021, 18:42

" ... control ... weaponized ... hate ... "
Check ! Doesn't sound that receptive.

Seems hospitals/exhausted health workers near the sad application of ICU triage to *any* emergency (children, heart attack, appendicitis, car accident, shooting, stroke, asthma, diabetic, cancer, etc) pushed by a 90% plus, of willfully unvaxxed doesn't matter at all.

Why should we bother you, in the talk about anything section ?

Mistakenly I though Biden's directive would be *the* good news towards ending the pandemic, and welcomed by many as a courageous step, obviously not all.

Not even crickets for company, mmm.
Slow as I am, I can take a hint : going to jump into the trenches, bye !

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2021, 19:02.

Sep 10, 2021, 18:34
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 18:34
Sep 10, 2021, 18:34

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 15:29:
Sir, you seem to be suggesting that pretty blonde white women get different treatment. My shocked face: Shocked
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "rich people", but your suggestion is probably just as valid.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 10, 2021, 16:27
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 16:27
Sep 10, 2021, 16:27

Annnnd ...

No spineless GOP would have faced the backlash and imperiled their treasured follower's vote, the only think they care about.
Their well being is of no consequence to them as 45 proved time and again.

How's that blue pill tasting? Nothing like a little more government control to help it go down. So what about those 97-99.75% of those who've already had it and recovered without any issues? Nobody seems to want to talk about them. Oh, they have. And, honestly, there's no way anyone's making money off of all these little vials of liquid salvation? Any sane person knows you should always follow the money.

BTW, isn't this a gaming website to talk about games and the gaming industry? Why does politics have to become a daily thing from self-proclaimed "experts"? (who just so happen to comment at all hours of the day. There's a correlation between too much free time and well being, you say?) There are soooo many other websites you can spew your self-informed righteousness (and I'm talking both sides of the aisle here). Blues is pretty much the only site I go to everyday, mostly so I can try to escape all that bs.

In the meantime, here's a thought: maybe step away from your weaponized keyboard, get some fresh air outside of your echo chamber, and actually meet some people who believe something different than you. Have an actual conversation. It's amazing how wrong your mass generalizations will actually be. Some of my best friends have very differing views on a lot of things, but we've learned that a) politics isn't everything (even though every news media outlet wants you to think so) and b) we still fully respect each other opinions and viewpoints as we've all come from very different walks of life. I mean, do you even know why someone doesn't want to get the vaccine? Have you asked them, personally, face-to-face? I guess it's just so much easier to vocally hate on people you've never actually met.

Re: Getting Your Super Powers - Choose Your Adventure Episode 1
Sep 10, 2021, 16:18
Re: Getting Your Super Powers - Choose Your Adventure Episode 1 Sep 10, 2021, 16:18
Sep 10, 2021, 16:18

Hope that finger guns gets chosen as the super power. I wanna see some finger banging in the next episode. Bang! BANG!

Sep 10, 2021, 15:47
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 15:47
Sep 10, 2021, 15:47

"Can't they test for that with a single drop of blood?"
The labradoodle is cheaper, can detect covid quicker and you can pet it.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 10, 2021, 15:32
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 15:32
Sep 10, 2021, 15:32

Upside down rhinos and nose-clearing orgasm studies win Ig Nobel prize.

Next time I have a cold, I'll suggest sex to my wife as a decongestant. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older