Into the Black

Last Link of the Day: Watch a Tesla Model S Plaid Smoke a Hayabusa in a Drag Race. It goes to 11. Thanks brother19.
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Into the Black
Sep 10, 2021, 22:35
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 22:35
Sep 10, 2021, 22:35

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 22:33:
Preach it, BoP. I'm always amused with people who think in five years every vehicle will be electric.
And in only two or three years they'll all be level 7 fully autonomous self-driving - cook you breakfast - flying cars.
mark my words
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 10, 2021, 22:33
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 22:33
Sep 10, 2021, 22:33

Preach it, BoP. I'm always amused with people who think in five years every vehicle will be electric.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 10, 2021, 22:29
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 22:29
Sep 10, 2021, 22:29

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 22:03:
all the way out in bumfuck Marfa,Texas.

Easy buddy, only i can talk about my relatives like that.
I think you mean Valentine. http://www.bigbendbikerhotel.com/valentine.html

Same guy did this site
http://www.historictransam.com/index.html
This photo has the best story. Jimmy buys new camera gear more often than we buy new computer parts.
It took him forever to find this finish line perch where he wasn't shooting through chainlink and manages to snap The Perfect Shot.

So I know his equipment is shooting like a machine gun and I asked him what the frames around that photo looked like.
In the immediate next frame the flag can't be seen and in the frame before the flag can't be seen either. Of course the cars are either too far back or after the finish line.

Burrito of Peace

Sep 10, 2021, 22:03
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 22:03
Sep 10, 2021, 22:03

all the way out in bumfuck Marfa,Texas.

Easy buddy, only i can talk about my relatives like that.
I think you mean Valentine. http://www.bigbendbikerhotel.com/valentine.html

Same guy did this site
http://www.historictransam.com/index.html
Burrito of Peace

Sep 10, 2021, 21:42
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 21:42
Sep 10, 2021, 21:42

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 14:55:
Too inconvenient and too expensive... well maybe, I guess, depends on the definition of average person, but I think we'll see a pretty rapid shift to electric in our lifetimes, maybe even within the next 5-10 years. We'll probably see the start of that in the US when Ford releases their Lightning truck... next year?

I based my expensive statement on the median American income for 2020 which was $68,400.00. However, that median is largely based on a two income household so we divide it in half to get the median income per person which is $34,200.00. An $80K Tesla is well out of reach of the median average income. Even replacing the batteries on, say, a Toyota Prius is between $3,000 to $8,000 depending where a person goes to get the work done. Again, that kind of upfront lump sum is going to be a hard, if not impossible, pill for someone making less than $35K annually to swallow.

Oh, the "Lightning" that isn't. I have to be transparent here. I am the besmitten owner of a 2nd gen Lightning. I'm not particularly fond of Ford slapping the name on what is an EF-150 with nothing about it that lives up to the Lightning marque.

But let's take a look at the technical merits of the forthcoming 3rd gen Lightning. The specs are here, straight from Ford. The extended battery allegedly gives you a 300 mile range. However, in the fine print it says "Actual range varies with conditions such as external environment, vehicle use, vehicle maintenance, lithium-ion battery age and state of health." That means you are definitely not getting 300 miles when you're either towing something or you have a load in its pathetic little bed.

Even the charging time is "target" and not "actual". But, even so, let's go with Ford's numbers. The highest charging rate you are likely to find that you can install at your home (with a separate 50A drop from the power company just for the charger) is 48A. At that rate, it will take you 13 hours to fully charge the truck for another 300 miles. 13 hours!

But let's say you get lucky and there are a plethora of 150kW DCFC (Direct Current Fast Charging) stations even all the way out in bumfuck Marfa,Texas. You'll still be waiting 41 minutes for a full charge for another 300 miles.

Let's also say you wanted to drive from my house to Big Bend National Park to spend a week there (dog knows why in the middle of the summer, but just roll with it). That's a distance of ~470miles. Maybe you want to go camping, maybe you want to go trail riding on your horse. So you're towing. Let's be super conservative and say you only see a 33% decrease in battery performance for that trip. So now you're down to 200 miles. That's two stops for charging and an additional 2 hours added to the drive time. That's assuming those 150kW DCFC chargers are in abundance, which they're not.

Now we're back in reality and the numbers, even Ford's fudged "target" numbers, make this truck a non-starter for anyone who uses a truck as an actual truck and not as a garage queen status symbol.

Like I said, electric vehicles just aren't realistic for the average person for a variety of purposes if you live somewhere other than a densely populated urban environment with chargers in abundance. They're too expensive when TCO is factored in (and you should for any vehicle) and too inconvenient when you can drive an ICE powered vehicle to a gas station, which are ubiquitous, fill up in ten minutes, and be on your way.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 10, 2021, 14:55
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 14:55
Sep 10, 2021, 14:55

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 11:14:
I want to state up front that I am in no way against electric vehicles.

There are several problems that must be addressed before they can see mass adoption:

• Charging infrastructure built in to homes and apartments by default in all areas, not just urban environments.
  • Inexpensive retrofits to currently existing structures to provide charging capability.
  • Far, far more reliable power grids. Texas, for example, couldn't handle people turning on their heaters in February and we often see brownouts or blackouts in summer when people use their AC systems. Add to that climate change which is going to increase electricity usage.
  • Clean power generation. There's no point in going electric if you're ramping up "clean" coal plants to provide the electricity necessary to charge these vehicles. You're merely exchanging one source of pollution for another.
  • Better battery technology in terms of range, shelf life, materials, scale, and replacements. Current battery technology is incredibly toxic and wasteful. Moreover, they're expensive and difficult to replace.
  • Range and charge speed. The most current data I can find for 2021 shows that the Tesla Model S has a maximum range of 421 miles, which is the longest available range in a consumer vehicle. However, that vehicles is $80K. You need that kind of range in a $25K car (which would be the Honda Civic LX). For those of us that use trucks as something more than garage queen status symbols, we need range and towing capacity. When towing our trailer to go camping, it takes me about ten minutes to fill up the tank. I'm not going to wait 2 hours for a "fast" charge before continuing on our journey and I very much doubt most people would, either.

Electric cars are cool, no doubt, but it's rather myopic to think they can replace every vehicle in every application. They're too inconvenient and expensive (when TCO is tallied) for the average person at this time. That needs to change for mass adoption.

I don't think anyone is going to claim that electric vehicles can replace every vehicle in every application, except for some diehard fanboys somewhere on social media. Your list is correct, as far as issues that humanity is going to have to overcome, sooner or later. Electric car adoption may hasten some of that, we'll see. Too inconvenient and too expensive... well maybe, I guess, depends on the definition of average person, but I think we'll see a pretty rapid shift to electric in our lifetimes, maybe even within the next 5-10 years. We'll probably see the start of that in the US when Ford releases their Lightning truck... next year?

Sep 10, 2021, 12:54
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 12:54
Sep 10, 2021, 12:54

Just what the world needs more expensive super fast cars!
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 10, 2021, 11:21
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 11:21
Sep 10, 2021, 11:21

I grin when I think about what somebody posted before (paraphrased and bastardized): Any driver waiting the eight to 15 minutes for the tesla in the next lane to show "Peak Performance is Ready" on its display would have already driven off and lapped it several times.
Burrito of Peace

Sep 10, 2021, 11:14
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 11:14
Sep 10, 2021, 11:14

I want to state up front that I am in no way against electric vehicles.

There are several problems that must be addressed before they can see mass adoption:

• Charging infrastructure built in to homes and apartments by default in all areas, not just urban environments.
  • Inexpensive retrofits to currently existing structures to provide charging capability.
  • Far, far more reliable power grids. Texas, for example, couldn't handle people turning on their heaters in February and we often see brownouts or blackouts in summer when people use their AC systems. Add to that climate change which is going to increase electricity usage.
  • Clean power generation. There's no point in going electric if you're ramping up "clean" coal plants to provide the electricity necessary to charge these vehicles. You're merely exchanging one source of pollution for another.
  • Better battery technology in terms of range, shelf life, materials, scale, and replacements. Current battery technology is incredibly toxic and wasteful. Moreover, they're expensive and difficult to replace.
  • Range and charge speed. The most current data I can find for 2021 shows that the Tesla Model S has a maximum range of 421 miles, which is the longest available range in a consumer vehicle. However, that vehicles is $80K. You need that kind of range in a $25K car (which would be the Honda Civic LX). For those of us that use trucks as something more than garage queen status symbols, we need range and towing capacity. When towing our trailer to go camping, it takes me about ten minutes to fill up the tank. I'm not going to wait 2 hours for a "fast" charge before continuing on our journey and I very much doubt most people would, either.

Electric cars are cool, no doubt, but it's rather myopic to think they can replace every vehicle in every application. They're too inconvenient and expensive (when TCO is tallied) for the average person at this time. That needs to change for mass adoption.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Sep 10, 2021, 10:31
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 10:31
Sep 10, 2021, 10:31

Electric all wheel drive high performance cars are going to smoke any ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles (that are road legal). Too much torque, too much acceleration, especially for a motorcycle that's going to wheelie up. ICE cars or trucks, aside from maybe Hoonigan style super alcohol monsters, are going to lose to these electric vehicles too.

Sep 10, 2021, 10:22
Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2021, 10:22
Sep 10, 2021, 10:22

The fact that its tires never spinout makes these launches funner to watch than (insert your own reference)

What is ivermectin, and where did people get the idea it can treat covid?
Article could also be tited "What is hydroxychloroquine, and where did people get the idea ... ."
Burrito of Peace
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older