Out of the Blue

Wow, so today is opening day of the NFL season. This definitely puts me a little behind the curve on getting the ball rolling with this year's installment in our Pigskin Pick'Em pool. ESPN reformatted the site, and for a moment when I went over there I thought they were no longer offering the ability to create private groups. But I worked it out, and when I went to the Blue's News Group I found that five people had joined already on their own. Head over here to sign up (password "bn") if you are interested in competing to see who can pick the most winners over the course of the season. It costs nothing to join and you get nothing if you win, except, as we've noted before, for those priceless bragging rights.

Obituary: Michael Constantine Dead: Father in 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' Was 94.

Pigskin Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Links

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 12, 2021, 22:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 22:40
Sep 12, 2021, 22:40

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 00:10:
I have yet to accidentally find out that someone is vegan. They are very "forthcoming" in letting you know they are a vegan.
Haha, probably true. I think the next time someone announces themselves as a Vegan I am going to consider yelling, "Plant murderer!" at them.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 12, 2021, 21:16
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2021, 21:16
Sep 12, 2021, 21:16
 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 21:51:
A vegan and a crossfit cultist meet.

Who speaks first?
It's a trick. Neither speaks first because they're too busy running away from the chasing bear.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Sep 10, 2021, 10:51
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 10:51
Sep 10, 2021, 10:51

Diets and flatulence.
My past year and a half diet (and till Covid goes) has been :

Legumes every meal, cereal side, with a *little* chicken or fish.
Peanuts (have stocked 35 jars of 450grs Peanut Paste), serious problems not gobbling the stuff by the spoonful, can't help myself
Brewer's yeast for higher protein/aminoacids complementation and B vitamins.
Vitamins/minerals tablets.

*Surprised me, almost no gases (sorry)*
( Watch myself or I lose weight, 155 lbs, 5.8 fts )

Sep 10, 2021, 03:02
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 03:02
Sep 10, 2021, 03:02

Who speaks first?

How many meat eaters does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they'd rather stay in the dark.

Re: Matrix Resurrections
Sep 10, 2021, 02:59
Re: Matrix Resurrections Sep 10, 2021, 02:59
Sep 10, 2021, 02:59

Simon Says wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 23:57:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 14:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:43:
Bill Borre wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:38:
Some of the dialogue from the trailer makes it sound like a sequel but the overall impression I got was remake.
Yeah, not completely clear...

Sequel is a closer description I think. They acknowledge the previous stuff happening.

Not a widely know fact is that the official canon story continued after the 3rd film in the form of the online MMO's storyline. Taken in this context, my best guess is that it's either one of those 3 options:

A: The long term effects of the continued in-Matrix war between the blue pillers ( those who wanted to stay inside and defend the Matrix despite knowing it was a deceit ) and the red pillers ( those who wanted to free people from the Matrix ), with the out-of-Matrix truce between the Machines and Zion still in effect many years down the road, so many that a new Neo and Trinity had time to emerge.

B: The war has been over for a long time, the truce failed as the Architect predicted it would and the Oracle undoubtlessly feared as reflected in the ending of the 3rd Matrix movie and the Matrix has been reset to "factory settings" for a new cycle. A new Neo and Trinity then emerged as they always do.

C: Something entirely new that Lana Wachowski thought up in the meantime and wanted to fool around with.

I'm hoping it's option A, the others would be kind of disappointing as far as I'm concerned.

D: cash grab at suckers who salivate over nostalgia. The trailer seems to show just redone bits from the other movies, but it looks worse. It looks like a TV movie.

Sep 10, 2021, 02:13
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 02:13
Sep 10, 2021, 02:13

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 00:10:

Who speaks first?

The Vegan.

I have yet to accidentally find out that someone is vegan. They are very "forthcoming" in letting you know they are a vegan.

Funny, I've had the complete opposite experience, unless I invite someone to dinner then it just makes sense to have the info since they are still a minority. Then again it's the same thing with my cousin who doesn't mention her severe food allergic reactions unless the context requires it to be mentioned.

When asking around I usually get the same answer regarding this experience. I'm starting to think this myth about vegans is based more on people getting irked by/freely choosing to take offense to the practice and overreacting or just going along for the peer group virtue signaling brownie points. Or some people make more of a fuss about it and thus it sticks out more to them?

As a matter of fact, they usually mention it so infrequently that I and others often just forget about it and need reminded. Or maybe it's because I just don't make a fuss about it so it doesn't register to long term memory as much as someone who do make a fuss?

Then again it's not unreasonable to imagine that your mileage may vary based on location/culture both in how much you make a fuss about it, so register it strongly in long term memory and have cognitive biases about it, and in how frequently the local vegans mention it? *shrugs*

P.S.: I am NOT vegan.

Sep 10, 2021, 00:10
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 00:10

Who speaks first?

The Vegan.

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 00:10

Who speaks first?

Neither, they smartened up and figured it's useless to try to help deprogram the CULT-urally indoctrinated since birth from the dominant CULT-ure unless they themselves choose to put that deeply rooted and stealthy'ish CULT-urally rewarded indoctrination into question.

To think that some people still believe ( not targeting anyone here mind you ) they haven't been in a cult since birth when the etymological, anthropological, sociological and psychological Everest of evidence stares them in the face.

Kind of fitting that comment considering we're talking about the new Matrix movie in other comments, because it has often been discussed in the context of since birth cultural indoctrination. Don't know if you said it on purpose or not, but quite fitting nonetheless in a perhaps, perhaps not, ironic way.

Sep 9, 2021, 23:57
Re: Matrix Resurrections Sep 9, 2021, 23:57
Sep 9, 2021, 23:57

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 14:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:43:
Bill Borre wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:38:
Some of the dialogue from the trailer makes it sound like a sequel but the overall impression I got was remake.
Yeah, not completely clear...

Sequel is a closer description I think. They acknowledge the previous stuff happening.

Not a widely know fact is that the official canon story continued after the 3rd film in the form of the online MMO's storyline. Taken in this context, my best guess is that it's either one of those 3 options:

A: The long term effects of the continued in-Matrix war between the blue pillers ( those who wanted to stay inside and defend the Matrix despite knowing it was a deceit ) and the red pillers ( those who wanted to free people from the Matrix ), with the out-of-Matrix truce between the Machines and Zion still in effect many years down the road, so many that a new Neo and Trinity had time to emerge.

B: The war has been over for a long time, the truce failed as the Architect predicted it would and the Oracle undoubtlessly feared as reflected in the ending of the 3rd Matrix movie and the Matrix has been reset to "factory settings" for a new cycle. A new Neo and Trinity then emerged as they always do.

C: Something entirely new that Lana Wachowski thought up in the meantime and wanted to fool around with.

I'm hoping it's option A, the others would be kind of disappointing as far as I'm concerned.

Sep 9, 2021, 21:51
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 21:51
Sep 9, 2021, 21:51

Who speaks first?
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 9, 2021, 21:13
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 21:13
Sep 9, 2021, 21:13

Meat and meat by-products don't make me fart. Legumes do. There's a reason anti-flatulence tablets are called Beano.

"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Sep 9, 2021, 18:41
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 18:41
Sep 9, 2021, 18:41

Men fart more when eating a plant-based diet due to good gut bacteria.

Two weeks on any radical diet change will give you gas as the gut bacteria is in a transition process. After 3 weeks of a plant-based diet flatulence should be lower, assuming your previous diet didn't or some kind of antibiotics didn't completely destroy your gut flora. So the study is basically stupid. There's a study that shows the opposite to this article.

Of course a common sense article, wouldn't be as fun as effectively saying something like "HAHA Vegans Smell" meat/dairy/egg industry scare mongering is a daily occurrence. After years of nutritional deficiency scare mongering has more or less failed, they're resorting to saying that we'll all smell? haha talk about a desperate. You'd think they'd instead spent their time, money and effort into transitioning their businesses a farms into sustainable produce, hell, even perhaps do what other industries do and invest in future technology like vertical farming, lab grown meat etc. But no, they'd rather keep on scaring you into buying their products, because they just love abusing animals too much, that can be the only reason not to change, since farming is really hard work, too hard to not want to change.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2021, 19:33.

Sep 9, 2021, 18:29
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 18:29
Sep 9, 2021, 18:29

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 18:14:
If it goes to the supreme court I think that this court will allow the Texas law to stand.
You may be right since the court was packed with a HandMaid and 2 others by “Covid-45” who lost the popular vote by over 3 million Americans in 2016.
PS May Moscow Mitch rot in hell.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 9, 2021, 18:14
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 18:14
Sep 9, 2021, 18:14

If it goes to the supreme court I think that this court will allow the Texas law to stand.

Sep 9, 2021, 17:43
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 17:43
Sep 9, 2021, 17:43

About damn time.
Justice Department Sues Texas Over New Abortion Ban NPR
Contains complete lawsuit
The United States therefore seeks a declaratory judgment that S.B. 8 is invalid under the Supremacy Clause and the Fourteenth Amendment, is preempted by federal law, and violates the doctrine of intergovernmental immunity. The United States also seeks an order preliminarily and permanently enjoining the State of Texas, including its officers, employees, and agents, including private parties who would bring suit under the law, from implementing or enforcing S.B. 8.

Re: Help a family leave Afghanistan
Sep 9, 2021, 17:11
Re: Help a family leave Afghanistan Sep 9, 2021, 17:11
Sep 9, 2021, 17:11

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 16:45:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 15:25:
Here’s an odd request:
A buddy is trying to help a family get out of Afghanistan. The name of the city is Mazār-i-Sharīf, also called Mazār-e Sharīf, or just Mazar
Does anyone know of a tool or website that checks for internet and/or cellular outages in a region.
If he loses contact with them he’d like to know if it is because they were taliban’ed or there was a communication outage. Thanks
https://www.cellmapper.net/

He can select by carrier and region.
Forwarded that info.
I’m not sure if I told you before but “You’re The Man.”

Sep 9, 2021, 17:09
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2021, 17:09
Sep 9, 2021, 17:09
 Kxmode

Forget Norway. There's zebras in Maryland.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Sep 9, 2021, 16:45
Re: Help a family leave Afghanistan Sep 9, 2021, 16:45
Sep 9, 2021, 16:45

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 15:25:
Here’s an odd request:
A buddy is trying to help a family get out of Afghanistan. The name of the city is Mazār-i-Sharīf, also called Mazār-e Sharīf, or just Mazar
Does anyone know of a tool or website that checks for internet and/or cellular outages in a region.
If he loses contact with them he’d like to know if it is because they were taliban’ed or there was a communication outage. Thanks

https://www.cellmapper.net/

He can select by carrier and region.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Sep 9, 2021, 16:12
Re: Matrix Resurrections Sep 9, 2021, 16:12
Sep 9, 2021, 16:12

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 15:03:
Well, remake/reboot/sequel, I'm down regardless, since it's coming day one to HBO Max! I am certainly interested to see what they want to do with it after 20 years or so, besides making money, I mean.

What he said!
But I do miss the green tint to everything (maybe that's why it threw me watching it the first time, cause of all the color, and we never really did see huge parts of the city).

Sep 9, 2021, 15:25
Re: Help a family leave Afghanistan Sep 9, 2021, 15:25
Sep 9, 2021, 15:25

Here’s an odd request:

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older