Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited

A post from Blizzard discusses plans for Diablo II: Resurrected, talking about console lobbies, TCP/IP, and ultrawide monitor support. The last two are of concern to PC users, as there is more on why the revived action/RPG will not support TCP/IP networking due to security issues. There's also the confession that ultrawide monitor support is incomplete because of the work it would require. Let's just pretend 32:9 monitors don't exist as we read about how 21:9 monitors will be limited to 19:9:
Ultrawide monitor support being modified was a subject we saw heavily discussed across our channels following the Beta. In the Technical Alpha, players with Ultrawide hardware saw their full 21:9 screens utilized during that test. However, during that test we identified limitations affecting those players and others. For example, the AI failed to sense the player and trigger attacks. Furthermore, players with 21:9 monitors were able to pull many more monsters into battle at a range limit beyond the original game’s intention. In a scenario where players (for example: playing a ranged class) were attacking monsters, players with 21:9 monitors could hit enemies with that extra screen space, but the monsters would not pull or react, but could still be defeated. Ultimately, the AI doesn’t register getting hit from that additional distance a 21:9 monitor provides. That’s not intended, especially if you’re sharing a game with a 16:9 user. To protect the integrity of everyone’s experience and promote an equal playing field for all, those with Ultrawide monitors will be able to have their game screen purview extended to 19:9 (the maximum length of the in-game limitation zones) with a vignette on the sides of the game screen. We recognize that players have spent a lot of money to assemble their 21:9 hardware setups and seeing black bars may be frustrating for their experience. So, we’ll continue to watch these discussions and explore possible solutions that don’t change how the game is played.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited
Sep 8, 2021, 10:54
PHJF

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 8, 2021, 10:54
Sep 8, 2021, 10:54
 PHJF

They added limited respec options much later to D2, which made the leveling process way less frustrating when you didn't have to horde skill points until level 30.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 8, 2021, 10:51
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 8, 2021, 10:51
Sep 8, 2021, 10:51

This is why I stick with standard format monitors (currently using a 32"). Too many games have problems with those weird ultrawides and you end up having to play at weird resolutions or with bars on the ends or something.

Sep 8, 2021, 10:43
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 8, 2021, 10:43
Sep 8, 2021, 10:43

Call me part of the majority that does not have an Ultra Widescreen monitor and does not give 2 sh!ts about that, lol.

I'm perfectly fine with some graphic enhancements to take a 20+ year old game and make it enjoyable again in 2021. It doesn't have to be PERFECT in my eyes, just respectable.

I'm also not sure how I feel when comparing D2 and D3. D3 made the game more arcadish in ways where a skill tree didn't matter, thus making wrong decisions didn't matter. That was a pro and con to D2. It made you feel like a badass if you made the right build in D2 because you just created a monster. It also made you feel like the game sucked if you messed up the build and had to start over. I think there is great satisfaction in putting together a great build that is permanent. Perhaps give an option for those that aren't as experienced with skill trees the ability to redo it if you f up.

Someone also mentioned Diablo with a controller. No... just no... I feel claustrophobic just thinking about it.

Sep 8, 2021, 08:16
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 8, 2021, 08:16
Sep 8, 2021, 08:16

Who would have thought a game released in 2012 would be a much better game on a technical level than one released in 2000. That is almost as shocking as those who still think this isn't just a graphic layer placed on top of the base game with some minor, minor QoL changes.

It's not like I expect the second coming of Diablo 2 or a shake up of the ARPG genre but the amount of weird wishy washy complaints against the game are weird.

As far as this is concerned, it's fine. In D2 PvP there used to be far sight hacks even in closed bnet which would allow characters to off screen the fuck out of you because you could camp one foot outside of town and move the camera (not the map) around to find where the player was so I see this as an extension of that albeit to a lesser degree.

PvP is a pretty large part of the D2 community so I say good job until the hack inevitably returns.

Sep 8, 2021, 07:43
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 8, 2021, 07:43
Sep 8, 2021, 07:43

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 02:32:
bigspender wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 23:18:
And while D3 had it's problems on launch, playing it now, really shows just how much better of a game it was compared to D2.

I will never take anything you say about games seriously ever again.

I gotta agree with big spender here, at least in terms of gameplay. I wasn’t a fan of d3’s lack of skill tree or reliance on very specific sets to be effective, but the moment to moment gameplay was WAY better in D3. And then I tried it in a console, and I’m cranky the pc version never allowed for controller support. Here’s hoping they add controller support to D4 on pc, while also allowing me to switch to mouse/kb with no settings changes. Being able to fight using the controller and then sort inventory either the mouse would be so insanely great.

I know that sounds like sacrilege, but isometric fighting games simply allow for better character control with a controller.

Sep 8, 2021, 02:32
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 8, 2021, 02:32
Sep 8, 2021, 02:32

bigspender wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 23:18:
And while D3 had it's problems on launch, playing it now, really shows just how much better of a game it was compared to D2.

I will never take anything you say about games seriously ever again.

Sep 8, 2021, 02:31
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 8, 2021, 02:31
Sep 8, 2021, 02:31

You guys do realize that the main reason why this isn't included is balance. Diablo2, unlike it's piece of shit successor, had a robust and competitive PvP scene. Those extra bars of vision make all the difference in duels. You ever duel in Diablo2? I have.

Sep 7, 2021, 23:18
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 23:18
Sep 7, 2021, 23:18

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 21:03:
Diablo 3 runs on ultrawide just fine. As long as Diablo 4 does as well, I’m fine. I’m not buying this anyway; I tried it and didn’t feel any spark.
Same, after the Beta, I lost all interest. I forgot how much jank some old games can have. I know they would have copped a lot of flak had they changed the game too much, so as a graphics and compatibility upgrade for an old game they 100% reached their goal, and then some, but it's the gameplay and feel that is just as out-of-date as the graphics, and I just couldn't get into it.

I enjoyed the D2 style even in D3 far more actually. And while D3 had it's problems on launch, playing it now, really shows just how much better of a game it was compared to D2.

Sep 7, 2021, 22:50
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 22:50
Sep 7, 2021, 22:50

The limitation makes sense for now. They’re working off limitations of the old game. Maybe they’ll improve it over time. My guess is that the small percentage of players that would care won’t be around to notice.

Sep 7, 2021, 21:51
Jivaro

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 21:51
Sep 7, 2021, 21:51
 Jivaro

In the history of video game player first world problems......there has never been a more first world problem than "Diablo 2 Remastered won't support ultra-wide screen".

Although a list of such complaints of the last decade would probably be an entertaining thread of it's own.

Sep 7, 2021, 21:48
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 21:48
Sep 7, 2021, 21:48

Honestly, why cant they just rewrite the code to fix the detection range? or would that make the AI start attacking a player who is off screen using a non ultrawide monitor that they have now come in to contact with yet? maybe that's why it cant be fixed??
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Sep 7, 2021, 21:03
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 21:03
Sep 7, 2021, 21:03

Diablo 3 runs on ultrawide just fine. As long as Diablo 4 does as well, I’m fine. I’m not buying this anyway; I tried it and didn’t feel any spark.

Sep 7, 2021, 20:50
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 20:50
Sep 7, 2021, 20:50

Sigwolf wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 20:38:
Rhialto wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 20:18:
Totally make sense... remember this first shipped in 640x480 and expansion added 800x600.
Except the fact that this isn't the original
It is, the old game is running under the new visual skin applied over it. Press the G key and you'll switch to original visual.

Sep 7, 2021, 20:38
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 20:38
Sep 7, 2021, 20:38

Rhialto wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 20:18:
Totally make sense... remember this first shipped in 640x480 and expansion added 800x600.
Except the fact that this isn't the original, it's supposed to be a remaster and upgrade. The only reason for that is to allow the game to be enjoyed despite the changes in technology that have occurred since the first release. Hell, why offer 16:9 support? Let's limit the resolution to 800x600.

They don't feel like putting the work involved in increasing the limitation zones, so ship it off a 2021 "remaster" with very limited support for ultrawide monitors. The line "To protect the integrity of everyone’s experience and promote an equal playing field for all", is really a crock, and very weak excuse. What about the advantage those using 19:9 have over someone using 16:9? Just a little inequality is OK?

It's not that it couldn't be done, they just didn't want to bother.

Sep 7, 2021, 20:18
Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 20:18
Sep 7, 2021, 20:18

Sep 7, 2021, 19:50
Cram

Re: Diablo II: Resurrected Widescreen Support Being Limited Sep 7, 2021, 19:50
Sep 7, 2021, 19:50
 Cram

whatever
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older