- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Sep 8, 2021, 12:51
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2021, 12:51
Sep 8, 2021, 12:51

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 11:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 11:22:
Yes, it is. Calling a single 100 million "hundreds of millions" is by any measure an exaggeration. A single is not a multiple. Is it hyperbole? I wouldn't go that far.
Hundreds of millions over decades. Not exaggeration nor hyperbole.
RTA
Whether he made a dollar during that period or $126 million during a six year portion of those decades it was still due to deception and he’s going to jail for it.
You’ll probably respond that you did read the article. *shrug*
Okay -- it might (maybe even probably) have been hundreds of millions. But the article does not say that. I know because I did, in fact, read the article.

You are either assuming facts not provided, or have gotten additional information elsewhere. The article says he made $126 million in six years. Does that mean other years were just as profitable? I have no idea, do you? If they were, why didn't they say so? I find it odd they say he "defrauded more than 50,000 people over several decades" and then in the next breath they give figures for only six years? Why not provide us the total over the entire period of the fraud? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he is a crook but the reporting leaves wondering what the reporters are thinking/doing...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 8, 2021, 11:39
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2021, 11:39
Sep 8, 2021, 11:39

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 11:22:
Yes, it is. Calling a single 100 million "hundreds of millions" is by any measure an exaggeration. A single is not a multiple. Is it hyperbole? I wouldn't go that far.
Hundreds of millions over decades. Not exaggeration nor hyperbole.
RTA
Whether he made a dollar during that period or $126 million during a six year portion of those decades it was still due to deception and he’s going to jail for it.
You’ll probably respond that you did read the article. *shrug*

Six other defendants were also found guilty along with Michaels in December 2019. Those already sentenced are:

James R. Milheiser, 54, of Huntington Beach, who owned and/or controlled Material Distribution Center, PDM Marketing, Bird Coop Industries, Inc., and Copier Products Center, and who was convicted of conspiracy and mail fraud, was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison; and
Francis S. Scimeca, 56, of Woodland Hills, who owned Supply Central Distribution, Inc. and Priority Office Supply, was sentenced to three years in federal prison for his convictions for conspiracy and mail fraud.

The following four defendants will be sentenced in the coming months:

Leah D. Johnson, 57, of Ignacio, Colorado, who owned Capital Supply Center and LJT Distribution, Inc.;
Jonathan M. Brightman, 54, of Westlake Village, who owned Copy Com Distribution, Inc.; Independent Cartridge Supplier; and Corporate Products;
Sharon Scandaliato Virag, 56, of West Hills, who owned XL Supply, Inc.; and
Tammi L. Williams, 46, of Chino Hills, who was the office manager at Elite Office Supply, and worked at Specialty Business Center, Rancho Office Supply and Select Imaging Supplies.

It was quite the operation.
Burrito of Peace

Sep 8, 2021, 11:22
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2021, 11:22
Sep 8, 2021, 11:22

Sep 8, 2021, 10:59
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2021, 10:59
Sep 8, 2021, 10:59

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 10:51:
Timmeh wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 10:32:
I like how the writer bundles years together in order to say the guy made "hundreds of millions" of dollars so the feeble minded would be all down with hating on the guy.
He made 126 million over a specifically bundled 6 years of our choosing out of decades. .... uh ok....
If that was an example of the worst exaggerations I saw by the media, I would be a happy man.
But it is neither an exaggeration nor is it hyperbole.
In one six year period alone, Michaels earned $126 million from his business.”
Simple quick finger math shows he averaged $21 million a year during those six years.

I think the reader is going to be hating on the guy because the guy was a piece of shit and because of the ludicrous amounts of money he stole from charities.
Does it really matter what the reader thinks about the man that’s getting locked up for four years.
Burrito of Peace

Sep 8, 2021, 10:51
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2021, 10:51
Sep 8, 2021, 10:51

Timmeh wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 10:32:
I like how the writer bundles years together in order to say the guy made "hundreds of millions" of dollars so the feeble minded would be all down with hating on the guy.

He made 126 million over a specifically bundled 6 years of our choosing out of decades. .... uh ok....
If that was an example of the worst exaggerations I saw by the media, I would be a happy man.

Sep 8, 2021, 10:32
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2021, 10:32
Sep 8, 2021, 10:32

Sep 7, 2021, 20:55
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 7, 2021, 20:55
Sep 7, 2021, 20:55

A man who overcharged customers for printer toner has been sentenced to four years in federal prison. It may sound outlandish to send someone to prison for four years over overpriced printing supplies, but Gilbert Michaels ran a scheme that defrauded more than 50,000 people over several decades and earned him hundreds of millions of dollars. In one six year period alone, Michaels earned $126 million from his business.

Seriously? I'd do four years for that sort of cash. It's not like the printer companies haven't been screwing everyone - and the environment - also.
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older