Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy

The controversy over a tweet by John Gibson supporting the anti-abortion law that recently took effect in Texas has quickly boiled over. Yesterday it was reported that developers Shipwright Studios cut ties with the publisher and developer Torn Banner Studios distanced itself from Gibson's remarks. Now Tripwire itself is also created its own distance, announcing that Gibson has "stepped down" (presumably after some coaxing), and has been replaced by interim CEO Alan Wilson. Tripwire says Gibson's remarks do not reflect the opinions of the company:
The comments given by John Gibson are of his own opinion, and do not reflect those of Tripwire Interactive as a company. His comments disregarded the values of our whole team, our partners and much of our broader community. Our leadership team at Tripwire are deeply sorry and are unified in our commitment to take swift action and to foster a more positive environment.

Effective immediately, John Gibson has stepped down as CEO of Tripwire Interactive. Co-founding member and current Vice President, Alan Wilson, will take over as interim CEO. Alan has been with the company since its formation in 2005 and is an active lead in both the studio’s business and developmental affairs. Alan will work with the rest of the Tripwire leadership team to take steps with employees and partners to address their concerns including executing a company-wide town hall meeting and promoting open dialogue with Tripwire leadership and all employees. His understanding of both the company’s culture and the creative vision of our games will carry the team through this transition, with full support from the other Tripwire leaders.
View : : :
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy
Sep 8, 2021, 02:44
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 8, 2021, 02:44
Sep 8, 2021, 02:44

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 14:09:
That "law" is an inhuman monstruosity out of Belarus or Stalin's Russia.

In Soviet Russia, women actually had ownership of their own reproductive rights. Go read a history book sometime. 1920, the Russian Soviet Republic under Lenin became the first country in the world in the modern era to allow abortion in all circumstances. For the most part women's rights were significantly better in Communist countries compared to the West.

Re: removed
Sep 8, 2021, 01:34
Re: removed Sep 8, 2021, 01:34
Sep 8, 2021, 01:34

Ash wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 01:11:
Can't edit or delete previous comment, very strange.
Normal users cannot delete posts so there's nothing odd about that.
If you want to delete an entire post just replace it with the word removed or deleted.

You can always edit a post. Maybe you weren't logged in or clicked edit on someone else's post by mistake.

“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Sep 8, 2021, 01:11
Ash
Re: removed Sep 8, 2021, 01:11
Sep 8, 2021, 01:11
Ash

Can't edit or delete previous comment, very strange.

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 20:40:

I am absolutely in the right and there's nothing to rethink.

I'm really curious how you're still alive?! What with everyone out to get you all the time, and you

Sep 8, 2021, 01:06
Ash
Re: removed Sep 8, 2021, 01:06
Sep 8, 2021, 01:06
Ash

Blue wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 16:51:
Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 16:35:
* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Sep 7, 2021, 16:45. Reason: Spam (rule 5)
You seem to interpret anyone disagreeing with one of your hot takes as flaming and personal attacks. Which is then followed by you engaging in flaming and personal attacks.

You are not in the right. I'm asking you to examine this pattern and rethink your approach.

I'm really curious how you're still alive?! What with everyone out to get you all the time, and you being always right and all!

Veinman wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 15:12:
Beamer wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 14:09:
At some point, Cutter probably should be banned.

There's no "probably" about it.

Personal attack.

mch wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 12:58:
Yep, punching down on those poor poor CEOs.

Knew you'd find a way to make this thread dumber.

Personal attack.

Xero wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 12:53:
It is because popular networks like to keep throwing these words out (cancelled/woke) over and over to brain wash individuals into believing that is what it is.

Personal attack.

And there are more littered throughout the thread from the usual flaming trolls - Beamer/Redeye/BoP/etc. And as I've stated - FACTUALY at least a 1000 times before over the last several decades - and no, that is sadly not hyperbole - it's always the same people/type of people, that you constantly PERMIT those clowns TO START ad hominen attacks and flamewars. Not only do you permit it, but you only and ever censor people who respond to them in kind - they're allowed to dish it out but don't have to take it. Nor are they capable of it in any regard. Every single one of those posts in this thread hasn't been removed, ergo, you and your fanboy mods are engaged in censorship, plain and simple. And that's the same pattern you repeat in ANY and EVERY thread that descends into conflict on this board. Every...single...thread.

The ONLY person who responded on topic and didn't make it a personal attack in this thread was DarkCntry. He was wrong, but at least he didn't attack anyone he disagrees with. Did I attack him? No. Because he didn't attack me. And THAT is the exact same in every other thread over the years here. I don't start flamewars, I never have, but I sure as shit don't back down from fights. You start with me and, oh yeah, it's on. As the old adage goes, don't start nothin' and there ain't gonna' be nothin'.

I am absolutely in the right and there's nothing to rethink. You're in the wrong because you keep letting your fanboys start flamewars and then blame the victim when they respond in kind. If I walked up and punched you in the face for no reason you'd just stand there and take it? Maybe you would but that's not how I was raised or how I am. Someone takes a swing at me they get swung on even harder. I've ALWAYS defered to the 'your house your rules' clause but it doesn't make you right. And if you want peace here than stop posting political stuff - because you know where its going to end up. That or hold everyone equally accountable. That sort of hypocrisy you engage in infuriates me beyond all reason. Otherwise just tell your readers who haven't drunk the Kool-aid to go elsewhere because they're obviously not welcome here.

Sep 8, 2021, 00:51
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 8, 2021, 00:51
Sep 8, 2021, 00:51

TheBigVlad wrote on Sep 8, 2021, 00:01:
If this CEO was a woman who was praising laws that banned contraceptive methods for men only (vasectomy, etc.) then she would rightly be called batshit crazy and asked to step down I think. I don't think it's too much to ask from a CEO that they don't treat the opposite sex as second class citizens. Just because a significant portion of the US believes that women are indeed second class citizens doesn't mean that we have to just accept it and move on. Believe what you want, and feel free to share those beliefs all you want, but as many have said already, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. This guy was not banned from Twitter, or jailed for expressing his opinion. He's still free to say whatever hateful garbage he wants.

We agree that any sex CEO should steer away from agitating their customers, however when it comes to dodging consequences, apparently leaning left helps a lot and maybe using your main company profile rather than a personal one. NFL honors gunman killed trying to murder police, adds his name to their helmet decal ‘inspire change’ program
Not only is this Tweet still up, you probably never heard about it which emphasizes this media imbalance.

Sep 8, 2021, 00:01
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 8, 2021, 00:01
Sep 8, 2021, 00:01

If this CEO was a woman who was praising laws that banned contraceptive methods for men only (vasectomy, etc.) then she would rightly be called batshit crazy and asked to step down I think. I don't think it's too much to ask from a CEO that they don't treat the opposite sex as second class citizens. Just because a significant portion of the US believes that women are indeed second class citizens doesn't mean that we have to just accept it and move on. Believe what you want, and feel free to share those beliefs all you want, but as many have said already, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. This guy was not banned from Twitter, or jailed for expressing his opinion. He's still free to say whatever hateful garbage he wants.

Sep 7, 2021, 22:23
Re: removed Sep 7, 2021, 22:23
Sep 7, 2021, 22:23

Sepharo wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 22:04:

distilled Cutter

Right?! I do believe he told Blue to alter the content of his site rather than Cutter altering his attitude or just not engaging in those threads. No, Blue has to change what he reports, how dare Cutter change course. That just wouldn't be freedom, no sir.

Sep 7, 2021, 22:20
Re: removed Sep 7, 2021, 22:20
Sep 7, 2021, 22:20

And there are more littered throughout the thread from the usual flaming trolls...BoP...

Since you named me specifically, let's go over what I said:

"Aren't we all just screaming in to the void at this point?

Newton's Third Law of Motion applies to politics, business, society, and culture as well. "

and

"Morgan Freeman, narrator:

But deep down, Blue knew nothing would change in spite of his best efforts and hopes."

The former was a general comment on the pointlessness of online discussion and the fact that one of the laws of physics is also applicable to all social, political, and economic paradigms. The latter was me riffing on what Blue posted. Neither of which directly addressed you in any way.

Cutter, you never change. That's both comforting and pitiable all at the same time. You always play the victim card, you always accuse others of "drinking the Kool-aid" (your term), and you never present an informed, coherent opinion on anything of value or note. Your "hot takes" are more often than not provincial, narrow minded, sometimes racist, and myopic All of that has been true for much of the 17 years I have frequented this site.

Now, don't take the above as a personal attack. It isn't. It's merely my observation.

If you choose to respond with your usual vitriol, let me help you out. I am a misanthropic asshole. I freely and publicly admit it. Go ahead and call me that and I will wholeheartedly agree with you. But at the very least, I am honest about who and what I am and I don't go crying foul when my posts sometimes cross the line. Oftentimes, after the fact, I have publicly admitted I was over the line. But that's because I am honest with myself and not looking to be either a faux persecuted or aggrieved individual.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Sep 7, 2021, 22:18
Re: removed Sep 7, 2021, 22:18
Sep 7, 2021, 22:18

Sepharo wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 22:04:
distilled Cutter
Brilliant. And well worth the laugh.
We won't have to worry about Host's getting raped because Gubner Abbott has promised to rid the streets of ALL Rapists.
What dystopian nightmare has the GQP been smoking and who the fuck elects these morons.
File under Un Fucking Believable
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Sep 7, 2021, 22:04
Re: removed Sep 7, 2021, 22:04
Sep 7, 2021, 22:04

distilled Cutter

Sep 7, 2021, 21:42
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 21:42
Sep 7, 2021, 21:42

Timmeh wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 17:49:
if only the center-right would start playing this ruthless about important issues like the left does.
The Right has been more successful than the left in implementing its agenda, despite the left's policies being much more popular in polling:
- Supreme court is 6-3 conservative
- Abortion restriction laws in TX and other red states
- Voter restriction laws in red states
Etc.

I honestly think its time for a peaceful divorce. let all the red counties in America join together and reform the USA and let the blue mega cities continue down the toilet spiral. maybe china will sell them all food.
The red states would lose out bigly. They would have no money. 70% of the GDP comes from states that voted for Biden.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 7, 2021, 21:19
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 21:19
Sep 7, 2021, 21:19

fakespyder wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 19:10:
I've seen churlish behavior on both sides of arguments in many threads from many posters.
Some seem to think their behavior is okay because most agree with their take on the underlying argument.

I think everyone would acknowledge toeing a line. And you're right, we all could be better, but I'd also argue toeing

Sep 7, 2021, 20:40
Re: removed Sep 7, 2021, 20:40
Sep 7, 2021, 20:40

Blue wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 16:51:
Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 16:35:
* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Sep 7, 2021, 16:45. Reason: Spam (rule 5)
You seem to interpret anyone disagreeing with one of your hot takes as flaming and personal attacks. Which is then followed by you engaging in flaming and personal attacks.

You are not in the right. I'm asking you to examine this pattern and rethink your approach.

Veinman wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 15:12:
Beamer wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 14:09:
At some point, Cutter probably should be banned.

There's no "probably" about it.

Personal attack.

mch wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 12:58:
Yep, punching down on those poor poor CEOs.

Knew you'd find a way to make this thread dumber.

Personal attack.

Xero wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 12:53:
It is because popular networks like to keep throwing these words out (cancelled/woke) over and over to brain wash individuals into believing that is what it is.

Personal attack.

And there are more littered throughout the thread from the usual flaming trolls - Beamer/Redeye/BoP/etc. And as I've stated - FACTUALY at least a 1000 times before over the last several decades - and no, that is sadly not hyperbole - it's always the same people/type of people, that you constantly PERMIT those clowns TO START ad hominen attacks and flamewars. Not only do you permit it, but you only and ever censor people who respond to them in kind - they're allowed to dish it out but don't have to take it. Nor are they capable of it in any regard. Every single one of those posts in this thread hasn't been removed, ergo, you and your fanboy mods are engaged in censorship, plain and simple. And that's the same pattern you repeat in ANY and EVERY thread that descends into conflict on this board. Every...single...thread.

The ONLY person who responded on topic and didn't make it a personal attack in this thread was DarkCntry. He was wrong, but at least he didn't attack anyone he disagrees with. Did I attack him? No. Because he didn't attack me. And THAT is the exact same in every other thread over the years here. I don't start flamewars, I never have, but I sure as shit don't back down from fights. You start with me and, oh yeah, it's on. As the old adage goes, don't start nothin' and there ain't gonna' be nothin'.

I am absolutely in the right and there's nothing to rethink. You're in the wrong because you keep letting your fanboys start flamewars and then blame the victim when they respond in kind. If I walked up and punched you in the face for no reason you'd just stand there and take it? Maybe you would but that's not how I was raised or how I am. Someone takes a swing at me they get swung on even harder. I've ALWAYS defered to the 'your house your rules' clause but it doesn't make you right. And if you want peace here than stop posting political stuff - because you know where its going to end up. That or hold everyone equally accountable. That sort of hypocrisy you engage in infuriates me beyond all reason. Otherwise just tell your readers who haven't drunk the Kool-aid to go elsewhere because they're obviously not welcome here.

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Sep 7, 2021, 19:10
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 19:10
Sep 7, 2021, 19:10

I've seen churlish behavior on both sides of arguments in many threads from many posters.
Some seem to think their behavior is okay because most agree with their take on the underlying argument.

Sep 7, 2021, 18:55
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 18:55
Sep 7, 2021, 18:55

if only the center-right would start playing this ruthless about important issues like the left does.

I honestly think its time for a peaceful divorce. let all the red counties in America join together and reform the USA and let the blue mega cities continue down the toilet spiral. maybe china will sell them all food.
When the right starts "playing ruthless" you end up with overt fascism, so let's hope not. This isn't a flippant statement by the way, it's historical fact.

Sep 7, 2021, 18:50
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 18:50
Sep 7, 2021, 18:50

edit : Nevermind. Don't want to fan flames.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2021, 19:03.

Sep 7, 2021, 18:41
Quboid

Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 18:41
Sep 7, 2021, 18:41
 Quboid

That might be a good thing, but without the blue states who will fund the government handouts that the red states get?

Sep 7, 2021, 17:54
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 17:54
Sep 7, 2021, 17:54

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 12:16:
Slashman wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 11:49:
Well written, but beware a shit storm may just be about to flood you.

In any case...it is unfortunately that these people cannot resist the urge to post about everything on social media. I'm glad I'm too old to be caught up in this kind of foolishness. I put my foot in my mouth enough in my personal life that I really don't need to showcase myself having my foot down my throat for the world to see.
^^^
How does anyone get to be the head of a company and not know this.
Keep your mouth shut and run every public facing social media post past your legal and hr departments.

His dismissal was not even close to being "cancel cultured".

I'm sure the regular suspects will be a long claiming how he's a victim of woke or sjw bullshit. It's inevitable.

yeah yeah your right... this inst cancel culture at all... nope...

Maybe people will claim that because its OBVIOUSLY TRUE.

Sep 7, 2021, 17:49
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 17:49
Sep 7, 2021, 17:49

Sep 7, 2021, 17:38
Re: Tripwire CEO Steps Down Amid Controversy Sep 7, 2021, 17:38
Sep 7, 2021, 17:38

This story is definitely an example of getting caught up unnecessarily in the culture war for no benefit to the game or company. Why declare hot button personal beliefs when it has nothing to do with the product.
That said the all too common "Freedom from Consequences" nonsense comes up. Like yeah I'm sure if we got a bunch of legal scholars together they would conclude, man voiced his own opinion, losing their job sounds about right for punishment. (sarcasm). Now that said in contrast I agree with the opinion that as a CEO your job is to try and keep things in the interest of the business and stirring shit up like this only caused widescale company negatives.
He just had the wrong opinion of the times says the media. Hilariously the wiki entry on tripwire has already been updated, over a third of the "history" is this stupid story shows some interesting insight where we are with a lot of things.
Meanwhile various other historically neutral companies have had sudden terrible takes that leaned left, in contrast with plenty of media support.
To be clear I think the abortion law in question is garbage, but when it comes to judgement by twitter I also see this whole situation could just as easily be about funding police or having basic immigration laws.
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older