Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment"

Amid growing scrutiny of the corporate culture in the field of game development, GamesIndustry.biz has a translation of a story from Breakit on the troubling results of an employee survey at Paradox Interactive. The Swedish report on feedback from the staff of the developer/publisher claims that 44% of the 133 employees who responded have experienced "mistreatment" at the company. Just days ago it was announced that Ebba Ljungerud had resigned her post as CEO of Paradox. This was attributed to "differing views on the company's strategy going forward," and there are no visible indications that the leadership change is connected to these survey results. Word is the negative feedback is disproportionately concentrated among the company's female staff and its Swedish locales:
These reports were particularly high at Paradox's Swedish operations, which employ over 400 people.

Of that number, female employees make up 26% of the respondents (around 35 employees) and 69% said they had experienced abusive treatment, compared to 33% among the larger percentage of male staff.

The survey also described a "culture of silence" at the firm, with almost zero employees feeling as though their treatment had been handled appropriately.

"Offensive treatment is a systematic and far too common problem at Paradox," the report concluded.
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment"
Sep 7, 2021, 09:42
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 7, 2021, 09:42
Sep 7, 2021, 09:42

This story doesn't really explain a whole lot... what were the questions asked? What are 'mistreatment' or 'abusive treatment' defined as? I would say I've been treated abusively by an employer before but I've never been sexually harassed. While it's certainly troubling that the female staff report higher rates of it than males, that could also be influenced by social expectations as well. Men in many cultures are taught not to complain about their conditions. That it's a sign of weakness.

At the very least, it's something that should be looked into with more detail to sort out what's actually happening, but without more information, this article is pretty far from a smoking gun other than to say just shy of half the employees aren't happy.

Sep 7, 2021, 08:40
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 7, 2021, 08:40
Sep 7, 2021, 08:40

LordSteev wrote on Sep 7, 2021, 02:40:
NKD wrote on Sep 6, 2021, 23:38:
Whats even the point of having a job if you can't sexually harass the female employees or at the very least just treat them like shit? Also why can't I get drunk at work and smoke at my desk?

It's timing. You were born 80 years too late.

Dammit! I too wanted my time of ass slapping, intimidating and generally treating women like shit...

Sad times we live in...sad times...

Sep 7, 2021, 02:40
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 7, 2021, 02:40
Sep 7, 2021, 02:40

NKD wrote on Sep 6, 2021, 23:38:
Whats even the point of having a job if you can't sexually harass the female employees or at the very least just treat them like shit? Also why can't I get drunk at work and smoke at my desk?

It's timing. You were born 80 years too late.

Sep 6, 2021, 23:38
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 6, 2021, 23:38
Sep 6, 2021, 23:38

This is Bob Barker reminding you to help control the Canadian bartender population — have your Canadian bartenders spayed or neutered.

Sep 6, 2021, 21:33
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 6, 2021, 21:33
Sep 6, 2021, 21:33

Yeah, someone was saying the other day a lot of the problem were from the ceo who was hired 2018.
Hell she probably left because of this shit, this doesn't just appear then become pervasive.
Likely this shit has been going on since the creation of this company.
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

Sep 6, 2021, 20:34
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 6, 2021, 20:34
Sep 6, 2021, 20:34

yonder wrote on Sep 6, 2021, 19:48:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 6, 2021, 15:21:
Not too surprising, given Paradox's upper management directive to DLC the shit out of every game beyond all sense of decency or even shame.

Yes, because using non-required DLC to fund free updates for years upon years always directly correlates to sexual misbehavior.

Man... I was I was capable of being this simplistic. Life must be much easier that way.

I used to engage people who shared this idiotic perspective on PDX's DLC policy and, almost without fail, helped them understand why it's a great way to do business.

But I'm just mentally exhausted and, if someone STILL has this opinion after all these years, they're either incredibly defense or they just get off on blind hatred.

Either way, pity is the only reaction they get from me anymore.

Ehh thanks to the vagueness of the article it is a bit unclear what is being defined as "abusive/mistreatment"
Some examples of discussion that have been ongoing for a while:
Why Do So Many Seem to Hate Paradox DLC Policy?

Some summaries could be some people feel like when it comes to DLC, if you don't want it, don't buy it. While others say some of the DLC should be core, or are awful and overpriced.

I'll guess some infer if you are not treating your customers well, it is not surprising if you don't treat your workforce well either.

I haven't played any of the pile so can't direct critique, but taking out the "no one is forced to buy" element I think a lot of DLC is pretty crap and crap product is worth critique even if a side element of a main game. For example Witcher3 Blood and Wine was one of the only DLC expansions I've felt was done well outside of simple stuff like just selling character / weapon skins.
Troll signature removed. - For showing people their own quotes

Sep 6, 2021, 20:18
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 6, 2021, 20:18
Sep 6, 2021, 20:18

yonder wrote on Sep 6, 2021, 19:48:
Not too surprising, given Paradox's upper management directive to DLC the shit out of every game beyond all sense of decency or even shame.

Yes, because using non-required DLC to fund free updates for years upon years always directly correlates to sexual misbehavior.

Man... I was I was capable of being this simplistic. Life must be much easier that way.

I used to engage people who shared this idiotic perspective on PDX's DLC policy and, almost without fail, helped them understand why it's a great way to do business.

But I'm just mentally exhausted and, if someone STILL has this opinion after all these years, they're either incredibly defense or they just get off on blind hatred.

I guess attempted humor really doesn't translate well through text, but please don't add 2+2 to get 37.

Sep 6, 2021, 19:48
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 6, 2021, 19:48
Sep 6, 2021, 19:48

Sep 6, 2021, 15:21
Re: Paradox Employee Survey Reports "Offensive Treatment" Sep 6, 2021, 15:21
Sep 6, 2021, 15:21

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older