Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added

A post on Reddit by mazty tells the tale of tattling on Cloud Imperium games over ship sales for Star Citizen, the upcoming crowdfunded space game/patience test (thanks TechRaptor). The user reported the company to the UK Advertising Standards Authority for selling games that do not yet exist without warnings appropriate to the intangible nature of the purchase. Word is that the disclaimer now present in email such as this are the result of the UK ASA's intervention. Here's what's now included at the bottom of the sales pitch email:
* Disclaimer: The Crusader Ares (Inferno and Ion), A2 Hercules, Genesis Starliner, are being offered here as a limited vehicle concept pledge. This means that the vehicle is in development but is not yet ready to display in your Hangar or fly in Star Citizen. It will be available as playable content in a later patch. In the future, the vehicle price may increase and Lifetime Insurance or any extras may not be available. If you pledge towards a Crusader Ares (Inferno and Ion), A2 Hercules, Genesis Starliner, you will receive a loaner vehicle for use in Star Citizen until such time as the Crusader Ares (Inferno and Ion), A2 Hercules, Genesis Starliner, is included in-game. This loaner vehicle will be a currently playable vehicle of similar approximate size and/or function to the concept ship pledged. We offer pledge ships to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The funding received from vehicles such as this allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen world. These vehicles will be available for in-game credits and/or will be otherwise earnable through play in the final universe. They are not required to start or succeed at the game.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added
Sep 6, 2021, 06:49
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 6, 2021, 06:49
Sep 6, 2021, 06:49

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 6, 2021, 04:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 4, 2021, 17:21:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 4, 2021, 15:35:

Even if a $ 2000,00 ship should require a couple years of grinding, this will make buyers feel rather suckered Bomb

I thought all ships could be gotten by grinding and that its always been that way.

How do you grind for a ship which is not in the game yet? More importantly how do you grind for a ship in a game which is not yet made? (And most probably never will be)
With the SC believers, as with other faithful, it's all about expectations, "I'll be so happy, it will be perfect, man, perfect".

Sep 6, 2021, 04:19
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 6, 2021, 04:19
Sep 6, 2021, 04:19

Even if a $ 2000,00 ship should require a couple years of grinding, this will make buyers feel rather suckered Bomb

I thought all ships could be gotten by grinding and that its always been that way.

How do you grind for a ship which is not in the game yet? More importantly how do you grind for a ship in a game which is not yet made? (And most probably never will be)

Sep 5, 2021, 21:05
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 21:05
Sep 5, 2021, 21:05

Ah, the entertainment continues, for free. May it always be so

Sep 5, 2021, 18:48
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 18:48
Sep 5, 2021, 18:48
 Kxmode

PropheT wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 12:50:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 07:55:
CIG has lost any credibility.

I don't think they ever had any in the first place.

Their credibility ended after Chris's self-imposed goal of 20 million. Even before that 20 million goals, somewhere around the 10+ million mark, Chris revealed that the Kickstarter trailer was a concept video that the team scraped almost entirely. CIG hired the Crytek team to produce it. They spent about a year working on it, with many of the assets being merely placeholders. It's not unlike what Bioware did with their E3 Anthem gameplay trailer.

Chris explicitly said 20 million would be adequate to make the game he envisioned. It would also mark a point where CIG could self-publish and not be beholden to a publisher. After 20 million, that's when the scope creep and broken promises blossomed, and Chris's true nature on past gaming projects reared its ugly head.

"the game on the low side was going to be about 14 million dollars to make and the high side, which is where we are at now, is going to be about 20 million." Kickstarter interview, April 30, 2013

"When we first started, we raised $6 million with crowdfunding. That was a lot, but it still wasn't what we were gonna make the game for because we had private investors lined up. At that point, we were thinking of making a much more contained game." Kotaku, August 18, 2015

"There has been some concern about "feature creep" with the additional stretch goals. Typically, the stretch goals fall into two categories; The first is goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn't create content because of budgetary constraints." Letter from the Chairman: $20 Million!, September 26th, 2013

And this one:

"I mean, it's going to cost 20 million dollars plus by the time it's all finished." Forbes, May 17, 2013

383 million is a tad more than "20 million dollars plus." That's almost half a billion.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 5, 2021, 16:43
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 16:43
Sep 5, 2021, 16:43

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts dream game.

Shame is that Chris Roberts dream is just to get lots of money, not some much on how to actually deliver on the product he promised.

The selling of internet space ships for an alpha of a game for hundreds of dollars is a scummy joke.

Shame on Chris Roberts.

Sep 5, 2021, 16:01
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 16:01
Sep 5, 2021, 16:01

El Pit wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 02:01:

There is no game but just a very early alpha which is more proof of concept than an actual game. But instead of a proof of a working concept it is really a proof of a failed concept because it shows why this will never be a working game. It would take decades to get finished. The features they want to add are beyond belief - this is a tomb of ideas, intentions, and features. And even the tomb will be in eternal alpha and only partially functional.

Excellent post! I will now internally and publicly refer to Star Citizen as the Tomb of Ideas.

Sep 5, 2021, 12:50
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 12:50
Sep 5, 2021, 12:50

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 07:55:
CIG has lost any credibility.

I don't think they ever had any in the first place.

Sep 5, 2021, 11:41
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 11:41
Sep 5, 2021, 11:41

Fleche wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 11:36:
Anyone else surprised that CIG hasn't started converting and selling all these digital assets to NFTs?
There have been quite a few posts on the forums asking them to add NFTs, though they have usually been shot down quite quickly.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 5, 2021, 11:36
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 11:36
Sep 5, 2021, 11:36

Anyone else surprised that CIG hasn't started converting and selling all these digital assets to NFTs?

Actually I'm even more surprised that Steam/Epic/GOG haven't done the same. They could monetize their resale market...I mean they'd create and monetize a resale market.

Sep 5, 2021, 07:55
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 07:55
Sep 5, 2021, 07:55

Earlyworm wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 07:36:
As with most of the game's problems, you assume this will be better optimized at a later date when the focus shifts from fixing bugs where the player dies by entering an elevator We already know they are in the process of porting the rendering to a gen12 renderer.
Ah yes, implementing optimisations more than half a decade after the game was due to be released. Totally reasonable.

Earlyworm wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 07:36:
Here is a quote from from a dev at CIG since May 2021:
However, there are two threads (Main Thread and Render Thread) which have a very high utilization depending where you are in the game. In draw call heavy scenes like Lorville, Newbab etc. the game is mostly bottlenecked by the RT. This is quite a big dealbreaker at the moment and is the major reason why the game is so slow in big locations and why maxed out single thread performance is still so important for Star Citizen. Gen12 along with Vulkan will improve this massively.
I'm well aware of the claims. But we heard the same thing with Server Side Object Container Streaming, yet it never delivered on the bold performance claims. And again, the game was meant to be released half a decade ago and that would have been with all the required optimisation. There really isn't an excuse for why performance is so bad and why everything ends up massively delayed.

CIG has lost any credibility. I'm only interested in what they have actually delivered, not the PR spin. Right now the game is a mess and performs worse than it ever has.

Sep 5, 2021, 07:36
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 07:36
Sep 5, 2021, 07:36

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 5, 2021, 06:44:
Earlyworm wrote on Sep 4, 2021, 21:39:
Yes, it is certainly playable and has been for a few years.
That's debatable. Currently with an RTX 3080 I've been averaging as little as 15-25fps during the recent XenoThreat event, and performance can be even worse at the newly added Orison landing zone. That's not even close to acceptable, even for an alpha. In fact, performance has been getting worse patch-on-patch for years now. On CIG's Telemetry page there are systems with a 5950X and RTX 3090 averaging just 32fps, which is pathetic.

Just make sure you install the game on an SSD!!! .. and have at least 16GB ram for a more smooth experience.
I have 32GB RAM and an nVME (5000MB/s/4400MB/s) drive and performance is awful.

The game requires a CPU that matches the GPU for best performance since it is a bit CPU heavy.
I play at a lower resolution than the native resolution of my screen for a smoother framerate, and the performance is acceptable. Btw. I have an "old" i7-6700 CPU and 2080 Ti and 38" 21:9 ultrawide (which I absolutely love). It's a shame that I have to lower the resolution because the game is absolutely friggin gorgeous. You want to be hitting the prt scr button all the time.

As with most of the game's problems, you assume this will be better optimized at a later date when the focus shifts from fixing bugs where the player dies by entering an elevator We already know they are in the process of porting the rendering to a gen12 renderer.

Here is a quote from from a dev at CIG since May 2021:
However, there are two threads (Main Thread and Render Thread) which have a very high utilization depending where you are in the game. In draw call heavy scenes like Lorville, Newbab etc. the game is mostly bottlenecked by the RT. This is quite a big dealbreaker at the moment and is the major reason why the game is so slow in big locations and why maxed out single thread performance is still so important for Star Citizen. Gen12 along with Vulkan will improve this massively.

Sep 5, 2021, 06:44
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 06:44
Sep 5, 2021, 06:44

Yes, it is certainly playable and has been for a few years.
That's debatable. Currently with an RTX 3080 I've been averaging as little as 15-25fps during the recent XenoThreat event, and performance can be even worse at the newly added Orison landing zone. That's not even close to acceptable, even for an alpha. In fact, performance has been getting worse patch-on-patch for years now. On CIG's Telemetry page there are systems with a 5950X and RTX 3090 averaging just 32fps, which is pathetic.

Just make sure you install the game on an SSD!!! .. and have at least 16GB ram for a more smooth experience.
I have 32GB RAM and an nVME (5000MB/s/4400MB/s) drive and performance is awful.

Sep 5, 2021, 03:58
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 03:58
Sep 5, 2021, 03:58

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 4, 2021, 17:34:
Can I buy every ship in-game
"... It is announced that at release of the game every ship that can currently be purchased (pledged) on the pledge store (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/) will be available in-game, this does not include limited edition ships like the Mustang Omega. "

Buy the Bitcoin Mustang Omega on sale guys, prices down, hotcake opportunity !
Ex-gf keyed marks discount !!
http://mrfats.mobiglas.com/search?q=Mustang+Omega

[WTS] Pioneer $850, Polaris $800, Mustang Omega $155
(Used/free market prices going down.)

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2021, 05:42.

Sep 5, 2021, 02:15
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 02:15
Sep 5, 2021, 02:15
 Kxmode

Dacron wrote on Sep 4, 2021, 20:34:
I've been on the sideline for damn near a decade.

Is it worth a play-through yet?

No. CIG has more than enough money to finish the game. Doing free weekends shows they either have no idea how much money it will cost to finish the game, or they've burned through a considerable portion of the total fund that there's a risk CIG will never complete it. Either situation is not ideal. Why back under those conditions?

Surely that means Star Citizen is in a playable state.... right ?

It may be playable, but there is NO end in sight of when the final product will be released. Chris has stopped giving dates years ago and moved to the "when it's done" vernacular. That works for games where a publisher is fully funding a project. They have the power to enact changes to speed up development. It doesn't work for crowdfunded projects because backers tend to express a desire to "Don't rush. Take your time." A publisher can keep the scope creep in check. A crowdfunded project cannot.

Bottomline, wait until either Star Citizen and|or Squadron 42 release. If they never do, you saved money.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 5, 2021, 02:01
El Pit

Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 5, 2021, 02:01
Sep 5, 2021, 02:01
 El Pit

Is it worth a play through yet? Done No mans sky. With all it's MASSIVE game altering updates. Done Elite Dangerous, with all its updates.

There is no game but just a very early alpha which is more proof of concept than an actual game. But instead of a proof of a working concept it is really a proof of a failed concept because it shows why this will never be a working game. It would take decades to get finished. The features they want to add are beyond belief - this is a tomb of ideas, intentions, and features. And even the tomb will be in eternal alpha and only partially functional.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2021, 03:52.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 4, 2021, 21:48
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 4, 2021, 21:48
Sep 4, 2021, 21:48

So *every* ship paid with real money will be available for ingame credits and/or earnable through play, no exclusivity !

Couple of years? Are you stoned? The only way they can justify those prices are make those things virtually unobtainable. More like decades of grinding. Of course, that presupposes the game will ever arrive...which it won't.

"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Sep 4, 2021, 21:39
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 4, 2021, 21:39
Sep 4, 2021, 21:39

Yes, it is certainly playable and has been for a few years. But prepare for bugs!

I have heard there will be another freeflight event at the end of this month (20th?) so you could wait for that before you dive in, otherwise a $45 starter pack ship is available.

and you can safely ignore most of the BluesNews commenters since pretty much all of them have never tried the game but love to regurgitate the same tired jokes over and over again in every SC thread.

Sep 4, 2021, 20:34
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 4, 2021, 20:34
Sep 4, 2021, 20:34

Is it worth a play through yet? Done No mans sky. With all it's MASSIVE game altering updates. Done Elite Dangerous, with all its updates.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Sep 4, 2021, 17:34
Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 4, 2021, 17:34
Sep 4, 2021, 17:34

Buying Ships w/AUEC

Can I buy every ship in-game
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 4, 2021, 17:23
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Ship Disclaimer Added Sep 4, 2021, 17:23
Sep 4, 2021, 17:23
 Kxmode

That was the plan in 2012/13 before Kickstarter goal was met.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older