Out of the Blue

So, a new (final?) NO TIME TO DIE Trailer has the latest look at the next Bond movie. This includes the latest in a series of ever-shifting release dates. In fact, they're apparently shifting at this moment. The description says "in cinemas October 2021" while the end of the trailer says "in theaters November." I doubt I'll be wanting to spend a lot of time in a theater by then, so I guess I'll just hope for a short turnaround for a VOD release. I don't think they'll go for one of those simultaneous home/theater dealies. For the new Bond I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Bound Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Lake Mead Drops to a Record Low.
Sep 1, 2021, 23:00
Re: Lake Mead Drops to a Record Low. Sep 1, 2021, 23:00
Sep 1, 2021, 23:00

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 1, 2021, 07:18:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2021, 03:23:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 17:08:
Yeah, the entire reservoir system in the western US is in serious trouble.
How important is water tho.
Not at all, obviously -- unless you are interested in seeing life continue.
Just use beer instead. Drinkers
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 1, 2021, 11:57
Tom
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2021, 11:57
Sep 1, 2021, 11:57
Tom

As usual, it comes down to $$$. If there was the political will, the problem could be solved very quickly. But it would cause serious financial impact to the owners of those 170,000 GA aircraft. There are powerful forces fighting against regulation especially when it comes to the environment.

Sep 1, 2021, 10:33
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2021, 10:33
Sep 1, 2021, 10:33

Now that's more like what I was expecting... still in use all over the place.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 1, 2021, 10:00
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2021, 10:00
Sep 1, 2021, 10:00

Tom wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 13:52:
Leaded petrol has NOT been eradicated. 100LL, a leaded fuel, is still in use in most general aviation piston engine aircraft, i.e. small planes with one or two non-jet engines. These aircraft are stuck with tragically obsolete engine technology for a host of sad reasons, mainly because certifying aircraft engines and other parts is absurdly expensive.

There has been some progress on eliminating 100LL but the transition has been in progress for decades and is still far from complete.

Okay, you got me interested in researching this, and this is where my rathole digging took me. Now you've got me a bit concerned, as I live next door to a fly-in housing development, and the planes all fly over my house. Of course, the traffic is not as bad as a general aviation airport would be.

Thx. Interesting info.

Leaded gas was phased out 25 years ago. Why are these planes still using toxic fuel?
LINK

While leaded gasoline was fully phased out in 1996 with the passage of the Clean Air Act, it still fuels a fleet of 170,000 piston-engine airplanes and helicopters. Leaded aviation fuel, or avgas, now makes up “the largest remaining aggregate source of lead emissions to air in the U.S.,” according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Sep 1, 2021, 09:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2021, 09:40
Sep 1, 2021, 09:40

Anybody else notice how that rocket conveniently drove out the open fence gate? Might have been ugly if it hadn't.

Some analysis of the failure here, but it's really amazing that the guidance system managed to correct for so much offset thrust, and still (eventually managed to get it up to a high enough altitude to have it safely fall in the ocean: https://youtu.be/x2jU5W4ehPE

I love the camera man panning up to try to find the rocket.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2021, 10:02.
- “The planet is fine. The people are fucked.” -George Carlin

Sep 1, 2021, 07:18
Re: Lake Mead Drops to a Record Low. Sep 1, 2021, 07:18
Sep 1, 2021, 07:18

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2021, 03:23:
Not at all, obviously -- unless you are interested in seeing life continue.

Sep 1, 2021, 03:23
Re: Lake Mead Drops to a Record Low. Sep 1, 2021, 03:23
Sep 1, 2021, 03:23

I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Sep 1, 2021, 01:08
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2021, 01:08
Sep 1, 2021, 01:08
 Kxmode

What If...? episode 4 is coming Wednesday.

Out of the three episodes, I like 3 the most, followed by 2. Good show, I recommend.

I also remember reading the What If... comics. Of course, back then, it was more free-form hypotheticals. The showrunners based this series on the existing films while building upon the foundation for MCU phase 4.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 1, 2021, 01:01
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2021, 01:01
Sep 1, 2021, 01:01
 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 11:07:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 11:03:
1badmf wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 11:00:
the only time i'm risking a theater is to see Dune, and i'll try to go when it's least crowded. other than that my home theater setup is pretty sweet. so is not having covid.
Good news, then. "Dune" is slated to hit HBO Max on the same day it is released in theatres.
Yeah, I can't wait to see Dune, at my house, on release day. The Marvel movies seem to be hitting Disney+ about 3-4 months after theatrical release, which is a bit of overkill (included streaming, not an extra $29.99) in my opinion. I don't think I'm ever going to a movie theater again.
I saw Star Trek 4 on August 19th. It was great on the big screen. I was a single-digit age the last time I saw ST4 in cinemas. Fathom Events are fantastic in cinemas. Love watching classics on the big screen. 🙂
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 1, 2021, 00:38
Ant

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2021, 00:38
Sep 1, 2021, 00:38
 Ant

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 11:01:
Blue, do we have a Blue's News Discord server? I asked yesterday but didn't get a response. Or I hadn't at 1am CST when I turned in for the night.
Bah, go old school like IRC.

Aug 31, 2021, 21:56
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 21:56
Aug 31, 2021, 21:56

Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 15:55:
I could have sworn, that a lot of addons block trackers like Ghostery and I do use several.
The reason facebook was my focus now was I did see her on there after doing a search. But most of her data was old and not current.
That's an idea I haven't tried yet, do you know any reliable Background checkers? I actually didn't believe those were reliable or trust worthy, sort of take your money and run. Outtahere

Blockers do their best to keep up but it is an arms race. While they are convenient, I would not assume they will always be 100% capable of preventing any sort of fingerprinting.

Intelius is pretty good. I have used them in the past without issue.

Edit: Looks like the price has gone up to $25.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Aug 31, 2021, 17:08
Re: Lake Mead Drops to a Record Low. Aug 31, 2021, 17:08
Aug 31, 2021, 17:08

Aug 31, 2021, 16:32
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 16:32
Aug 31, 2021, 16:32
 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 11:25:
No Time To Spread A Virus

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die." - COVID

Aug 31, 2021, 15:55
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 15:55
Aug 31, 2021, 15:55

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 15:36:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 15:17:
Good news, that would have made it impossible to avoid profiling. Lighter

It already is impossible to avoid profiling if you use Facebook.

You need to be really, really clear on that and understand that.

Case in point:
Here's an article on Slashdot explaining why it is impossible.

Read it. Understand it.

I am sorry that happened to you. If you know her full name, you can definitely track her down outside of Facebook if it is super critical to you that you do so. Hell, you can get a full background check on her including current phone number and address for $15 bucks.
Saved the link, thanks. I could have sworn, that a lot of addons block trackers like Ghostery and I do use several.
The reason facebook was my focus now was I did see her on there after doing a search. But most of her data was old and not current.
That's an idea I haven't tried yet, do you know any reliable Background checkers? I actually didn't believe those were reliable or trust worthy, sort of take your money and run. Outtahere
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

Aug 31, 2021, 15:36
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 15:36
Aug 31, 2021, 15:36

Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 15:17:

It already is impossible to avoid profiling if you use Facebook.

You need to be really, really clear on that and understand that.

Case in point:
Here's an article on Slashdot explaining why it is impossible.

Read it. Understand it.

I am sorry that happened to you. If you know her full name, you can definitely track her down outside of Facebook if it is super critical to you that you do so. Hell, you can get a full background check on her including current phone number and address for $15 bucks.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Aug 31, 2021, 15:17
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 15:17
Aug 31, 2021, 15:17

Sorry about the wall of text, couldn't think of a way to explain the need to contact a few select peeps. Paperbag
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 14:26:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 13:49:
So there's no way around giving phone and address? I'm not trying to be sinister here, just protective.

On creating a Facebook account? Yes, you can elect not to give Facebook that information. However, what I said was that it won't stop them from aggregating that information to an already existing profile or creating a new that they'll sell to people who will have that information. Then it will become aggregated and added in to your fingerprint profile.

The best advice I can give you is to stay the Hell off all social media.

You didn't ask for my opinion but here it is anyway:

The people who gave a shit about you, your mother, or your struggles are still in your life. Those that didn't aren't and they couldn't give a shit less about her recovery outside of an "Oh that's nice".
Oh I get it but most people don't understand schizophrenia and it's fully treatable. Also, not understanding why a lifetime friend has become 'whacked out' (lack of a better term atm),
said and done things you don't understand? It's so comfort can be given and in this case protection. She had been involved in Social Services her whole life so she was trying to help people and did.
One of the main reasons is, when childhood family I knew got divorced (her daughter my age I want/need to contact, no other way I've tried has worked) the mother came to mine
and asked her to take in her 3 children (my mother was divorced with 2 kids) and she agreed. She was going to kill herself, but she also did something else, she saved the woman's life.
So since my mother died (at least 10 years too soon unnecessarily due to idiot sister, constantly fighting and underming me getting her treatment) last Sept, need to talk the daughter.
See the mother was a long time friend of the family, who turned out to have severe issues (probably related to trying to kill herself) and could actually be a problem (possible danger) to her daughter.
Basically I was only able to contact the mother, who accused me of lying about my mother (err I offered to let her talk to the doctor/nurse while I was on the phone) . She told me never to
call again and refused to give me her daughter's number. So I'm guessing some severe mental illness issues herself. Since I have a bit of experience, I believe and wanted to help the daughter
(childhood friend, almost sister). Basically all my friends were causal because my mother fled the city where I was born. Trust me, even as a kid I saw 'red flags' and did my best to stop my mother.
But she had mother power, high functioning social worker skills (to help or manipulate as needed) and she was mentally ill. That's a lot for a kid to be up against ! Faint
A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

Aug 31, 2021, 14:44
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 14:44
Aug 31, 2021, 14:44

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 14:25:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 13:31:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 12:37:
Is there a safe way to make an account (probably a dumb question)?

No, there isn't. You can feed Facebook all the false information you want but it won't stop Facebook from fingerprinting you and sharing selling that fingerprint to anyone who is willing to pay for it. The privacy problem is that you have no idea who the data is sold to so your "Lovin' McLovin" profile on Facebook can, and eventually will, be linked to a profile that has your real data. Boom, now your very sold and resold profile can be correlated to your fake Facebook account, your real name, address, phone number, your probable interests, and, if you use Google as your search engine, all the things you search for.

Also, from a psychological point of view, don't get a Facebook account. All social media is intended to keep you hooked by micro dopamine hits and they make it as difficult as possible to delete your account. Even then, you can't be entirely sure that your account/profile was actually deleted and not just relegated to cold storage somewhere so that Facebook can continue fleshing out your unique, fingerprinted profile with data it receives from other sources.
Damn, I could see that, if they force you to give out your phone number and home address. Plus they would obviously have access to your MAC address, for the final connection.
So there's no way around giving phone and address? I'm not trying to be sinister here, just protective.
No where was it said that they force you to give your home address and phone number,
Where did you here that?
Oh, that's good news. I must have misunderstood Burrito of Peace's post, thanks for pointing that out ! W00t

Aug 31, 2021, 14:26
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 14:26
Aug 31, 2021, 14:26

On creating a Facebook account? Yes, you can elect not to give Facebook that information. However, what I said was that it won't stop them from aggregating that information to an already existing profile or creating a new that they'll sell to people who will have that information. Then it will become aggregated and added in to your fingerprint profile.

The best advice I can give you is to stay the Hell off all social media.

You didn't ask for my opinion but here it is anyway:

The people who gave a shit about you, your mother, or your struggles are still in your life. Those that didn't aren't and they couldn't give a shit less about her recovery outside of an "Oh that's nice".

Aug 31, 2021, 14:25
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 14:25
Aug 31, 2021, 14:25

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 13:31:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 12:37:
Is there a safe way to make an account (probably a dumb question)?

No, there isn't. You can feed Facebook all the false information you want but it won't stop Facebook from fingerprinting you and sharing selling that fingerprint to anyone who is willing to pay for it. The privacy problem is that you have no idea who the data is sold to so your "Lovin' McLovin" profile on Facebook can, and eventually will, be linked to a profile that has your real data. Boom, now your very sold and resold profile can be correlated to your fake Facebook account, your real name, address, phone number, your probable interests, and, if you use Google as your search engine, all the things you search for.

Also, from a psychological point of view, don't get a Facebook account. All social media is intended to keep you hooked by micro dopamine hits and they make it as difficult as possible to delete your account. Even then, you can't be entirely sure that your account/profile was actually deleted and not just relegated to cold storage somewhere so that Facebook can continue fleshing out your unique, fingerprinted profile with data it receives from other sources.
Damn, I could see that, if they force you to give out your phone number and home address. Plus they would obviously have access to your MAC address, for the final connection.
No where was it said that they force you to give your home address and phone number,
Where did you here that?
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 31, 2021, 13:52
Tom
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2021, 13:52
Aug 31, 2021, 13:52
Tom

Leaded petrol has NOT been eradicated. 100LL, a leaded fuel, is still in use in most general aviation piston engine aircraft, i.e. small planes with one or two non-jet engines. These aircraft are stuck with tragically obsolete engine technology for a host of sad reasons, mainly because certifying aircraft engines and other parts is absurdly expensive.

There has been some progress on eliminating 100LL but the transition has been in progress for decades and is still far from complete.
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older