Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard

Kotaku reports that another three developers "are no longer with" Blizzard as of today. They are Diablo IV game director Luis Barriga, Diablo IV lead designer Jesse McCree, and World of Warcraft designer Jonathan LeCraft. This was originally attributed to anonymous sources, but was later confirmed by Blizzard. The reasons for the firings is not disclosed, so it's not being stated at this time whether this is connected to the Activision Blizzard lawsuit. Jesse McCree is one of the developers implicated in the Cosby suite story, which has caused the company additional embarrassment. Here's the official statement Kotaku received from Activision Blizzard:
“We can confirm Luis Barriga, Jesse McCree, and Jonathan LeCraft are no longer with the company,” they wrote.

“We have a deep, talented roster of developers already in place and new leaders have been assigned where appropriate. We are confident in our ability to continue progress, deliver amazing experiences to our players, and move forward to ensure a safe, productive work environment for all.”
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard
Aug 11, 2021, 19:22
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 19:22
Aug 11, 2021, 19:22

Guess that Cosby Suite is becoming more and more empty

Aug 11, 2021, 19:34
Cram

Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 19:34
Aug 11, 2021, 19:34
 Cram

One disgrace after another.

Aug 11, 2021, 20:42
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 20:42
Aug 11, 2021, 20:42

I'm guessing these guys are going to have to find a whole new line of work. That or leave the country.

The guy's last name is LeCraft and he worked for Blizzard and didn't change it to LeWarcraft? Talk about a missed opportunity. Guess he was too busy crushin' puss in the Cos-bro suite.

"I like my coffee like I like my women. Black, with a side of prune danish." - Gilbert Gottfried

Aug 11, 2021, 20:50
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 20:50
Aug 11, 2021, 20:50

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 20:42:
I'm guessing these guys are going to have to find a whole new line of work. That or leave the country.

The guy's last name is LeCraft and he worked for Blizzard and didn't change it to LeWarcraft? Talk about a missed opportunity. Guess he was too busy crushin' puss in the Cos-bro suite.
Oh yeah Diablo IV game director and lead designer leaving, that's not going to negatively affect Diablo IV. That's what that statement is designed to address. Also are they going to rename Jesse Mcree in Overwatch, that's the cowboy character's name in game, named after one of the guys that left?

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2021, 21:03.

Aug 11, 2021, 20:54
Nucas

Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 20:54
Aug 11, 2021, 20:54
 Nucas

what a bloodbath.

i hadn't read that cosby suite story before, how fucking crass. its not even funny. is "its funny to rape women" the punchline? i'm not sure i would have found that funny even back in high school — since i still thought girls were actual people back then too.

Aug 11, 2021, 21:02
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 21:02
Aug 11, 2021, 21:02

Yeah I imagine anyone in or near that Cosby suite shit is done for. That shit is beyond repugnant. Straight up glorifying raping women.
"If taking drugs is uncool then I'm the most uncool motherfucker on the entire planet."

Aug 11, 2021, 21:16
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 21:16
Aug 11, 2021, 21:16

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 20:42:

Unfortunately, there are enough men like them in the industry that they'll all find a home under the roof of similar developers.

Aug 11, 2021, 22:26
Jivaro

Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 22:26
Aug 11, 2021, 22:26
 Jivaro

Overon wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 20:50:
Also are they going to rename Jesse Mcree in Overwatch, that's the cowboy character's name in game, named after one of the guys that left?

There was a headline Blue posted last week(?) that highlighted fans and the media that were calling for a rename. I did a quick google-fu and I can not find anything suggesting Blizzard has responded one way or the other yet. Maybe someone else knows better. It might be better/simpler to simply not include him in OW2 and move on.

Aug 11, 2021, 22:45
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 11, 2021, 22:45
Aug 11, 2021, 22:45

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 19:22:
Guess that Cosby Suite is becoming more and more empty
Nothing left but the portrait.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 12, 2021, 00:37
Kxmode

Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 00:37
Aug 12, 2021, 00:37
 Kxmode

This scene from The Naked Gun sums up the situation nicely.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Aug 12, 2021, 03:08
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 03:08
Aug 12, 2021, 03:08

Reading about the Cosby Suite just now. What the actual fuck. Even the biggest asshole in my highschool had more respect for the other sex.

What is it with game development studios and this shit? Is it really as Occam's Razor would suggest? Game developers are nerds, nerds are insecure and not confident with the ladies, nerds get power within a company, insecurity and power leads to a harassing misogynistic character trait?
Currently playing: Valheim, Overwatch

Aug 12, 2021, 03:24
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 03:24
Aug 12, 2021, 03:24

Quinn wrote on Aug 12, 2021, 03:08:
Reading about the Cosby Suite just now. What the actual fuck. Even the biggest asshole in my highschool had more respect for the other sex.

What is it with game development studios and this shit? Is it really as Occam's Razor would suggest? Game developers are nerds, nerds are insecure and not confident with the ladies, nerds get power within a company, insecurity and power leads to a harassing misogynistic character trait?

You're probably right on the money.
"If taking drugs is uncool then I'm the most uncool motherfucker on the entire planet."

Aug 12, 2021, 04:38
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 04:38
Aug 12, 2021, 04:38

That is some messed up stuff, I definitely wouldn't want to work people like this. I never understand misogyny. Everyone has a mother at the very least, most people have a sister or daughter, so how can anyone hold these views.

I'm really happy to see the company taking action to hold these individuals to account. Being a hater of cancel culture however, I hope that these people are able to learn and see the errors of their ways. Even Neo-Nazi's can reform, and we embrace them, instead of letting the Twitter mob force them into hiding.

Aug 12, 2021, 06:25
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 06:25
Aug 12, 2021, 06:25

It must be some kind of law, the larger and richer a gang of thugs is, the more likely that if they get prosecuted by the law, that only the lowbies and middle management get punished, the boss at the top always comes off scott free.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Aug 12, 2021, 07:10
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 07:10
Aug 12, 2021, 07:10

bigspender wrote on Aug 12, 2021, 04:38:
That is some messed up stuff, I definitely wouldn't want to work people like this. I never understand misogyny. Everyone has a mother at the very least, most people have a sister or daughter, so how can anyone hold these views.

I'm really happy to see the company taking action to hold these individuals to account. Being a hater of cancel culture however, I hope that these people are able to learn and see the errors of their ways. Even Neo-Nazi's can reform, and we embrace them, instead of letting the Twitter mob force them into hiding.

Losing your job for something like this and finding it hard to get a new job because of this, doesn't fall under the category of cancel culture but accountability, I think. If this was about some pronoun thing or held non-conformist belief that didn't invoke the wrath of the SJW's mere years ago... that'd fall under the category of cancel culture. Rape culture has been unacceptable since as long as I can remember.

But yeah, "forgive and forget" should take place at some point. When? I guess the individual decides.

Aug 12, 2021, 08:38
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 08:38
Aug 12, 2021, 08:38

Lilith still loves you

Aug 12, 2021, 08:55
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 08:55
Aug 12, 2021, 08:55

Quinn wrote on Aug 12, 2021, 07:10:

Losing your job for something like this and finding it hard to get a new job because of this, doesn't fall under the category of cancel culture but accountability, I think. If this was about some pronoun thing or held non-conformist belief that didn't invoke the wrath of the SJW's mere years ago... that'd fall under the category of cancel culture. Rape culture has been unacceptable since as long as I can remember.

But yeah, "forgive and forget" should take place at some point. When? I guess the individual decides.

Being named as one of the developers in the cosby suite 100% will follow em to the grave. And rightfully so imo because "I didn't know what I was doing" never works and never should work as an excuse.

And the chats released as part of the lawsuit paint a very different picture.

Aug 12, 2021, 09:09
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 09:09
Aug 12, 2021, 09:09

Quinn wrote on Aug 12, 2021, 03:08:
What is it with game development studios and this shit?

I would like to know to. The company I work at takes sexual harassment very seriously, it is also woman owned. Perhaps I'm insulated since I've worked there forever, but I just kind of assumed most companies today have robust employee training and mitigation for sexual harassment.

Aug 12, 2021, 09:59
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 09:59
Aug 12, 2021, 09:59

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2021, 08:55:

Being named as one of the developers in the cosby suite 100% will follow em to the grave. And rightfully so imo because "I didn't know what I was doing" never works and never should work as an excuse.

In principle I definitely agree with you. But follow them to the grave to what extend though? Never finding a job again or something else? The culture they made was terrible but no actual rape took place in that suite afaik. In the end it were a bunch of idiots who spurred eachothers misogystic behavior on, frat-boy style, and just maybe couldn't even look at themselves in the mirror when they were alone. Have a party with a bunch of people and you can win money all day betting you'll hear 10 fucked up stories about someone who knows someone who did something stupid. Never forget about the actual rapists, murderers and other criminals out there; never forget to relativize.

Aug 12, 2021, 10:39
Re: Diablo IV Game Director and Lead Designer Leave Blizzard Aug 12, 2021, 10:39
Aug 12, 2021, 10:39

Quinn wrote on Aug 12, 2021, 09:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2021, 08:55:

In principle I definitely agree with you. But follow them to the grave to what extend though? Never finding a job again or something else? The culture they made was terrible but no actual rape took place in that suite afaik. In the end it were a bunch of idiots who spurred eachothers misogystic behavior on, frat-boy style, and just maybe couldn't even look at themselves in the mirror when they were alone. Have a party with a bunch of people and you can win money all day betting you'll hear 10 fucked up stories about someone who knows someone who did something stupid. Never forget about the actual rapists, murderers and other criminals out there; never forget to relativize.

Simply enough of a karma follow up that any future job opportunity can see what kind of people they are before hiring them. Nothing beyond that and nothing less. I worked plenty in IT and never fratboyed it up in a boardroom with a cosby picture at the wall. By the way, we had a strict "no alcohol" policy at work. That this is not a thing at Blizzard does not surprise me.
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer