No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed

A post on the PlayStation.Blog by Seam Murray discusses the impending fifth anniversary of No Man's Sky, as Hello Games' space exploration sim was first released on August 12, 2016 (they grow up so fast). The post includes an Anniversary Trailer to celebrate the occasion. This is an anniversary where all owners of the game will get a gift, as there's a mention of Frontiers, the next free update coming to the game. This is still mostly shrouded in mystery. Here's word:
And finally, as we push forward to 2021, our next update Frontiers is something I’m very excited about. In some ways it is just another update, but in other ways it’s a missing piece of the sci-fi fantasy that we’ve always wanted to add, and very fitting for our fifth anniversary.

There is still a lot we want to try, so much we are still excited for. The next step on that journey is not far off. We’ll have more to share on Frontiers with travellers very soon.
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed
Aug 11, 2021, 21:15
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 11, 2021, 21:15
Aug 11, 2021, 21:15

NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 21:52:
I recommend anyone who has forgotten or never paid attention to the No Man's Sky drama to begin with to watch this video, the whole thing, but at the very least from this timestamp. For maybe a little more nuanced perspective on what went down that doesn't paint Sean Murray as a supervillain who personally made it his mission to ruin Kxmode's life.
Thanks for posting and linking the timestamp.
It's almost as if Sean Murray and the whole team at Hello Games were human beings. With Sean probably not the right frontman for his newborn. Have you ever heard a parent say "look at my ugly baby"?
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 11, 2021, 20:58
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 11, 2021, 20:58
Aug 11, 2021, 20:58

I recommend anyone who has forgotten or never paid attention to the No Man's Sky drama to begin with to watch this video, the whole thing, but at the very least from this timestamp. For maybe a little more nuanced perspective on what went down that doesn't paint Sean Murray as a supervillain who personally made it his mission to ruin Kxmode's life.
No offense but who is the source of that the information in this video? Isn't that information mostly coming from Sean Murray himself. You don't see how it's a conflict of interest for a guy to give his audiobiography so that he would appear sympathetic and justify his lies? Come on he's already lied so many time so often why should we trust his self justifying autobiographical video? This is far better representation of his lies: https://youtu.be/cJ-tgaE37UE

Aug 10, 2021, 17:22
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 17:22
Aug 10, 2021, 17:22

"I suspect that would not be a welcome change in the community. I know I wouldn't care for it. Although my objection is somewhat reduced because "my base" is essentially my Freighter these days. Complete with many hydroponic trays..."

Fair enough. So just make it an option. Or just not include it in the Creative Mode. I know that some ppl put a lot of time and effort in their base. Its just that...in the beginning after you get your ship repaired there really is no sense of danger. nothing to protect or fight for.

Aug 10, 2021, 17:15
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 17:15
Aug 10, 2021, 17:15

OmegaFoRCe wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 11:50:
OmegaFoRCe wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 11:02:
Some of the comments in this thread point to the heart of cancel culture. This idea that when a mistake/lie/crime/<insert negative thing> occurs, the person is forever condemned with no opportunity for redemption. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. Yes Hello Games released a premature product -- that action was rightfully condemned. Since then, they have diligently worked to deliver what they promised -- and then some. Those actions should be praised. Do they cancel each other out? Partially, but on the whole the outcome is a positive one, even if it isn't as positive as it could have been.

Star Citizen is still in the premature product bucket for me. They earn no praise from me yet, as they still have yet to deliver what they promised. Hello Games delivered, and then some, so I praise them for their efforts and not just leaving us all high and dry.
I should also say -- some things can't be 'erased'. But that doesn't mean that the person is forever condemned -- it just means that they need to be held accountable for those negative actions. Positive actions the person takes should be considered positive actions -- not that they erase the negative, but they show that the person isn't a complete waste of atoms
Yeah, while I was disappointed reading about NMS at launch, I pretty much forgot about the controversy a year later when I actually picked it up and played it. As for people not forgiving HG and Sean Murray, that's human nature. Negative emotions have a ten times greater effect on us than positive ones.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Aug 10, 2021, 16:16
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 16:16
Aug 10, 2021, 16:16

wasp wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 13:13:
Since there is really no endgame or incentive to NMS i suggest they add the ability for the creatures to do damage to your base over time. That way your constantly repairing and creating ways to defend what you've invested all your time with. I hope Frontiers or another future update can make this happen as its now a very good looking game. Especially the new looking starfield introduced in the Prisms update
I suspect that would not be a welcome change in the community. I know I wouldn't care for it. Although my objection is somewhat reduced because "my base" is essentially my Freighter these days. Complete with many hydroponic trays...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 10, 2021, 13:13
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 13:13
Aug 10, 2021, 13:13

Since there is really no endgame or incentive to NMS i suggest they add the ability for the creatures to do damage to your base over time. That way your constantly repairing and creating ways to defend what you've invested all your time with. I hope Frontiers or another future update can make this happen as its now a very good looking game. Especially the new looking starfield introduced in the Prisms update

Aug 10, 2021, 12:25
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 12:25
Aug 10, 2021, 12:25

This reminds me of when I go to watch a show or movie on HBO Max or Amazon Prime or Netflix and Comcast tells me it's "Free to me".

Except for the monthly subscription I pay.

I guess "We're not going to charge you even more" doesn't have the same ring.

Aug 10, 2021, 12:11
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 12:11
Aug 10, 2021, 12:11

Some of the comments in this thread point to the heart of cancel culture. This idea that when a mistake/lie/crime/<insert negative thing> occurs, the person is forever condemned with no opportunity for redemption. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking.

Neither does "cancel culture," if you notice, people that actually give a heartfelt apology, acknowledge being wrong, and make an attempt to right that wrong end up fine.

It's those that double down or defend themselves instead of admitting wrong that get condemned, which makes some sense - you can't be redeemed if you do not think you need redemption.

Aug 10, 2021, 11:50
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 11:50
Aug 10, 2021, 11:50

Some of the comments in this thread point to the heart of cancel culture. This idea that when a mistake/lie/crime/<insert negative thing> occurs, the person is forever condemned with no opportunity for redemption. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. Yes Hello Games released a premature product -- that action was rightfully condemned. Since then, they have diligently worked to deliver what they promised -- and then some. Those actions should be praised. Do they cancel each other out? Partially, but on the whole the outcome is a positive one, even if it isn't as positive as it could have been.

Star Citizen is still in the premature product bucket for me. They earn no praise from me yet, as they still have yet to deliver what they promised. Hello Games delivered, and then some, so I praise them for their efforts and not just leaving us all high and dry.
I should also say -- some things can't be 'erased'. But that doesn't mean that the person is forever condemned -- it just means that they need to be held accountable for those negative actions. Positive actions the person takes should be considered positive actions -- not that they erase the negative, but they show that the person isn't a complete waste of atoms

Aug 10, 2021, 11:11
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 11:11
Aug 10, 2021, 11:11

(I also say this as someone who has played NMS for 52 hours on PC, and 103 hours on Xbox)

Aug 10, 2021, 11:02
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 11:02
Aug 10, 2021, 11:02

Aug 10, 2021, 09:49
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 09:49
Aug 10, 2021, 09:49

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 09:21:
They added VR support to it right? I might have to give it another try and see how it works in VR. (Hopefully you can play it sitting down)
It exists. I can't provide an opinion though, I'm not a VR guy. I have read mixed reviews of the NMS VR, some seem to think it is great. Others are far less impressed.

Aug 10, 2021, 09:21
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 09:21
Aug 10, 2021, 09:21

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 07:33:
If you don't like it VaranDragon I have no beef with you (or anyone else). It is a game. Play it. Don't play it. Life, such as it is, goes on.

They added VR support to it right? I might have to give it another try and see how it works in VR. (Hopefully you can play it sitting down)

Aug 10, 2021, 09:01
Wolfen

Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 09:01
Aug 10, 2021, 09:01
 Wolfen

And here I am still waiting for that left hand VR support.

Aug 10, 2021, 07:41
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 07:41
Aug 10, 2021, 07:41

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 01:42:
Lies in any other industry wouldn't fly? LMFAO! You have got to be joking. Corporations lie their asses off frequently, pretty much any time they think they can get away with it -- which is most of the time.
Was thinking about this and I suddenly recalled a radio commercial I heard in my car the other day. I had a minor epiphany while listening to it. The commercial was for auto repair insurance. Now there are several of these companies around these days. As I was somewhat absentmindedly listening to the commercial it occurred to me they were completely lying. They were nearly literally saying the exact polar opposite of the truth.

(paraphrased): "Never pay for car repairs ever again. ABC happens? You pay nothing. XYZ happens? You pay nothing." on and on. When, of course, the truth is you are always paying. You are continually paying. They want you to never stop paying.

It just suddenly struck me as so.. weird, astounding, galling, annoying, stupid, I'm not sure what the right word is that anyone would advertise their product with nothing but complete and obvious lies.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2021, 11:37.

Aug 10, 2021, 07:33
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 07:33
Aug 10, 2021, 07:33

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 02:35:
I've tried getting into this game (after they "fixed" it) but I just couldn't do it. It's just boring. All the planets are permutations of the same thing, and you literally have to do the same thing over and over again. Maybe they've improved on it, and added a ton of fun missions or something but when I played it (about 2 years ago) it was still boring as fuck...
Even though I really like the game, once you have completed the Atlas quest it is a very basic gathering, building, and crafting game. But if you think about it, it has a hell of a lot more story that Minecraft does. Minecraft doesn't even have quests. Granted the quests in NMS won't excite your soul, but do they need to? It is the space aspect of it which appeals to so many people. I'd have to say the biggest regret of my life is I won't live to see humans become an interstellar species. Will we ever? Possibly, but highly unlikely and if it does happen it won't be any time soon.

If you don't like it VaranDragon I have no beef with you (or anyone else). It is a game. Play it. Don't play it. Life, such as it is, goes on.

Aug 10, 2021, 06:53
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 06:53
Aug 10, 2021, 06:53

guys, calm down. jeez!

yes, we are talking about - i think it was a ps4? launch or exclusive game - something which costs a few million to build.
yes, there were announcements and trailers and hype. as almost always with these kind of games.
yes, as it was one of the bigger attractions it drew a lot of attention.
yes, it overpromised and underdelivered.

sure, many here are still pissed at the public figure associated with that "failure" of a game. why though? why can't a human being be wrong and fuck up? what did it cost anyone here? some people maybe did the wrong thing and pre-order. sorry, that is on you. some people bought into the fantasy of a seamless transition into a big universe and bought on launch. also, on you for not waiting on reviews / buying full price.

yet that team stood by their game and worked endlessly on it to redeem the initial failure and from what i read, they delivered and then some. what did we lose here? maybe 60 bucks. is that the worth we have for a human who exaggerated the scope for his game? phew, man. there are far worse offenders out there. also, by that same rules, wouldn't you also have bought into star citizen? the only difference would be that a barebone of NMS was released and improved upon while SC didn't have that for a long time and still is being built on.

cut the team some slack. they earnt it.

Aug 10, 2021, 02:35
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 02:35
Aug 10, 2021, 02:35

I've tried getting into this game (after they "fixed" it) but I just couldn't do it. It's just boring. All the planets are permutations of the same thing, and you literally have to do the same thing over and over again. Maybe they've improved on it, and added a ton of fun missions or something but when I played it (about 2 years ago) it was still boring as fuck....

Aug 10, 2021, 01:42
Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 01:42
Aug 10, 2021, 01:42

I'm curious what you think Kx about the authors comment (paraphrased) about how everything Murray ever said over two years was taken as a promise. Vague comments expanded by the media to be fantastical features. That even if he never said it again and it was decided six months after saying it that the feature was to be removed from the game (well before the game was released)... was that a lie? Was that a broken promise?

Lies in any other industry wouldn't fly? LMFAO! You have got to be joking. Corporations lie their asses off frequently, pretty much any time they think they can get away with it -- which is most of the time.

Truthfully, $60 is a cheap price for that lesson if you take it to heart. Many people burn themselves over and over again.

Aug 10, 2021, 00:03
Kxmode

Re: No Man's Sky Turning Five; Frontiers Add-on Revealed Aug 10, 2021, 00:03
Aug 10, 2021, 00:03
 Kxmode

I am a customer of Hello Games, whose frontman lied to make money. That's not an exaggeration or hyperbole, unlike where your comment went.

Supervillain? No. Dishonest? Definitely. In any other industry, that sort of behavior would never fly. Actually, in some industries, that kind of behavior lands people in prison. Publishers continue to act with impunity when promoting their products, which leads me to my second point.

Sean Murray didn't ruin my life. It cost me $60 to learn a valuable lesson about preordering products. But I am reminded every time I see a No Mans Sky news article that no matter how many things HG adds to the game or what awards Sean Murray earns or praise the game receives, all of that did not happen on honor and honesty. It was done by scamming millions to create a foundation to finish the game—a game he promised people would have in August 2016—some three years after.

NMS was one of the first $60 early access titles sold as a feature-complete product. It is a thing BioWare tried for Anthem and Bethesda for Fallout 76 and, to a certain degree CDPR with Cyberpunk 2077.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older