Out of the Blue

‘The Suicide Squad’ Box Office- Movie Struggles in Opening. Well that's too bad. I wonder how much the fact that you can see it on HBO Max affected that? That was how we watched it here. It's a fun movie, enough so that it even passed the MrsBlue test. Hopefully when it's all tallied up this will still end up being considered a success.

Obituary: Markie Post Dead- ‘Night Court’ Actress Was 70. Thanks RedEye9.
Obituary: Trevor Moore death: Comedian and co-founder of The Whitest Kids U Know dies in accident aged 41.
Obituary:
Longtime Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden dies at 91.

Successful Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science
Thanks Acleacius.

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 11, 2021, 21:20
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 21:20
Aug 11, 2021, 21:20

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 10:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 09:22:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 08:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 07:49:
Yep, same type of center, but not the one where that happened.. the vaccination centers can vary wildly though from super large to "barely 5 people fit inside". Anyhow, I had pain in deltoid for 2~ days but nothing serious, but what I did have is general muscle soreness everywhere (still have it in my neck) and a mild headache and still kinda feeling a bit blegh. But overall OK. Apparently these are all expected symptoms, since muscle related stuff is part of the checklist for vaccination symptoms they gave me.
So, was the Friesland incident at one of the very small facilities? On the one hand, I would think not because he managed to give out 10,000 non vaccines. But on the other, doing something like that would be easier if there were only a couple of staff, reducing the chances of him being caught.
She not a he. Less than 9000. Nurse, not a doctorSource
NYTimes
"The authorities are now asking all 8,557 people who were jabbed during the nurse’s working hours to return for third, and in some rare cases fourth, jabs as a precautionary measure. She worked at the center, near the town of Wilhelmshaven on the North Sea coast, for seven weeks in March and April."

Which was, to explain the high numbers, when prio group 1 was being vaccinated (elderly / sick) and people in protected areas (pension homes, doctors, medical personal) nobody healthy or rather not in the health sector would get any vaccine in those days. So highly criminal. If it's true, that is. She has only admitted to 6 false vaccinations.
https://www.npr.org/2021/08/11/1026863219/nurse-fake-covid-vaccine-germany-saline
It could have been worse, they could have had to pay for the salt water injections.
"A similar scandal unfolded in India last month. Thousands paid to receive the COVID-19 vaccine at a "vaccination camp" but instead were given shots of saline solution. Authorities arrested 14 people, alleging they gave around 4,000 people fake or expired vaccines and collected thousands of dollars in the process."
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 11, 2021, 10:46
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 10:46
Aug 11, 2021, 10:46

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 10:35:
NYTimes
"The authorities are now asking all 8,557 people who were jabbed during the nurse’s working hours to return for third, and in some rare cases fourth, jabs as a precautionary measure. She worked at the center, near the town of Wilhelmshaven on the North Sea coast, for seven weeks in March and April."

Which was, to explain the high numbers, when prio group 1 was being vaccinated (elderly / sick) nobody healthy would get any vaccine in those days. So highly criminal
Intentionally injecting saline one single time is criminal, injecting thousands of people with salt water over several weeks is something entirely different.
Let us know the final outcome.
Burrito of Peace

Aug 11, 2021, 10:35
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 10:35
Aug 11, 2021, 10:35

Yep, same type of center, but not the one where that happened.. the vaccination centers can vary wildly though from super large to "barely 5 people fit inside". Anyhow, I had pain in deltoid for 2~ days but nothing serious, but what I did have is general muscle soreness everywhere (still have it in my neck) and a mild headache and still kinda feeling a bit blegh. But overall OK. Apparently these are all expected symptoms, since muscle related stuff is part of the checklist for vaccination symptoms they gave me.
So, was the Friesland incident at one of the very small facilities? On the one hand, I would think not because he managed to give out 10,000 non vaccines. But on the other, doing something like that would be easier if there were only a couple of staff, reducing the chances of him being caught.
NYTimes

Which was, to explain the high numbers, when prio group 1 was being vaccinated (elderly / sick) and people in protected areas (pension homes, doctors, medical personal) nobody healthy or rather not in the health sector would get any vaccine in those days. So highly criminal. If it's true, that is. She has only admitted to 6 false vaccinations.

Aug 11, 2021, 09:22
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 09:22
Aug 11, 2021, 09:22

NYTimes
Burrito of Peace

Aug 11, 2021, 08:50
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 08:50
Aug 11, 2021, 08:50

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 11, 2021, 07:49
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 07:49
Aug 11, 2021, 07:49

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 06:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 05:04:
And as for not feeling it, let's just say I am feeling it now Took 12 hours before any real effect kicked in but man, "general feeling of illness" is aptly named. At least I know it was the real deal, not like that 1 centre in Friesland where a crazy covidiot doctor injected possibly up to 10000 people with neutral (harmless) salt/water liquid instead of vaccine.
Glad you were able to get it and the experience was good. Was the Friesland incident at a facility like you went to? A setup like that would seem to make it difficult to do without some other staff member noticing something being wrong. As for having a reaction, the only one I had was a sore deltoid muscle for a day, the second didn't even do that.

Aug 11, 2021, 06:55
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 06:55
Aug 11, 2021, 06:55

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2021, 05:04:
And as for not feeling it, let's just say I am feeling it now Took 12 hours before any real effect kicked in but man, "general feeling of illness" is aptly named. At least I know it was the real deal, not like that 1 centre in Friesland where a crazy covidiot doctor injected possibly up to 10000 people with neutral (harmless) salt/water liquid instead of vaccine.
Glad you were able to get it and the experience was good. Was the Friesland incident at a facility like you went to? A setup like that would seem to make it difficult to do without some other staff member noticing something being wrong. As for having a reaction, the only one I had was a sore deltoid muscle for a day, the second didn't even do that.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 11, 2021, 05:04
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2021, 05:04
Aug 11, 2021, 05:04

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2021, 17:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 07:13:
gotta hand to them, that was super organized.
It's Germany, was that ever in doubt?

Congrats man!

Considering I only learnt there why I didn't get a date previously I would say organization is the problem not the solution. So why not? Because the centers were supposed to close in end of July, so they didn't give first shots starting 1st July (because 30 days and what not). This is one 4 centers in my region (we are talking a huge region) that is open till 30Sept. Meaning, starting 30 August they don't do first vaccinations anymore either. Just wow. The only reason this center was still open is because the local city collection decided to run it themselves after hearing local doctors have 4+ months waiting lists.

Aug 10, 2021, 17:20
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2021, 17:20
Aug 10, 2021, 17:20

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 07:13:
gotta hand to them, that was super organized.
It's Germany, was that ever in doubt?

Congrats man!
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Aug 9, 2021, 19:23
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 19:23
Aug 9, 2021, 19:23
 Kxmode

Greentiger wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 19:02:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 18:34:
fujiJuice wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 08:49:
The Suicide Squad is a failure because of the name alone. I didn't even know it was a different movie until recently.
Sony did the correct thing of going from "Spider-Man" to "The Amazing Spider-Man" with a new cast, which also matched the Spider-Man comics. I'm pretty sure the decision to call the new films "The Amazing" was Marvel's request. It's like the people at DC don't know how to transition their IPs to media. They copy what Marvel is doing but fail at it.

For the most part the animated films seem pretty good.
The live action ones so far have been pretty sucky.
Although I did like Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman 1984, and Shazam.
I haven't seen Aquaman yet but I heard it was good too.
Don't forget about Nolan's Batman trilogy. Probably one of the best comic book series of films. Also, the MCU slow-burn that led to Infinity Wars and Endgame was something I don't think even Marvel will be able to reproduce. 23 films. It was like a 11-year long TV series in movie form.

Aquaman is good. It's mindless fun with excellent effects; the actors give decent performances.

One of my favorite animated series is Batman: The Animated Series. So yeah. I agree about their track record with animated series and films.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Aug 9, 2021, 19:02
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 19:02
Aug 9, 2021, 19:02

Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 18:34:
The Suicide Squad is a failure because of the name alone. I didn't even know it was a different movie until recently.
Sony did the correct thing of going from "Spider-Man" to "The Amazing Spider-Man" with a new cast, which also matched the Spider-Man comics. I'm pretty sure the decision to call the new films "The Amazing" was Marvel's request. It's like the people at DC don't know how to transition their IPs to media. They copy what Marvel is doing but fail at it.

For the most part the animated films seem pretty good.
The live action ones so far have been pretty sucky.
Although I did like Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman 1984, and Shazam.
I haven't seen Aquaman yet but I heard it was good too.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Aug 9, 2021, 18:34
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 18:34
Aug 9, 2021, 18:34
 Kxmode

"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Aug 9, 2021, 17:36
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 17:36
Aug 9, 2021, 17:36

In defense of Loki, the only time he fights a regular human while not depowered in the TVA is on the train. I don't think they even touch him during that fight. He seems to just be playing with them. He loses by getting unexpectedly thrown off by a couple of unarmed guards.

Aug 9, 2021, 16:26
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 16:26
Aug 9, 2021, 16:26
 Jivaro

Not to give away spoilers Beamer...but there is a reason the people of the TVA can hang with the ice troll prince. I think they will explain that in the next Ant Man movie if they stay true to the comics. spoliers: If the TVA was Kangs city of Chronopolis, then it is located in the Quantum Realm...where Marvel can make up the physics as they see fit.

Aug 9, 2021, 15:33
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 15:33
Aug 9, 2021, 15:33

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 14:42:
I saw Suicide Squad via HBO Max, and thought it was really good, surprisingly good. I admit to having low expectations, post Suicide Squad 2015, but this movie was far, far better. Definitely more true to the source material too.

Not a major plot point, but they finally had fucking Boomerang THROW A BOOMERANG. I don't even remember him throwing one in the first film, mostly stabbing people with them. I think the problem with Harley Quinn in the movies, is they keep waffling back and forth between her basically being a super soldier in terms of strength, speed and durability, or just a normal human. Bloodshot (DC version) was never fleshed out a ton, he kinda got lost in the generic 90s characters in comics. The movie version was acceptable to me. I'm looking forward greatly to the rest of the HBO Max releases, and of course Gunn's 3rd Guardians movie, whenever that's done (2024?)

I hope every movie fails in the theaters for the next 6 months, at least in the USA or any high covid infection rate country. Stay the fuck home, people.

That strength issue was in Loki, too. In the films, he can fight the Avengers and withstand beatings from The Hulk without doing much more than wincing. In the TV show, he's taking damage from normal humans.

Aug 9, 2021, 14:42
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 14:42
Aug 9, 2021, 14:42

I saw Suicide Squad via HBO Max, and thought it was really good, surprisingly good. I admit to having low expectations, post Suicide Squad 2015, but this movie was far, far better. Definitely more true to the source material too.

Not a major plot point, but they finally had fucking Boomerang THROW A BOOMERANG. I don't even remember him throwing one in the first film, mostly stabbing people with them. I think the problem with Harley Quinn in the movies, is they keep waffling back and forth between her basically being a super soldier in terms of strength, speed and durability, or just a normal human. Bloodshot (DC version) was never fleshed out a ton, he kinda got lost in the generic 90s characters in comics. The movie version was acceptable to me. I'm looking forward greatly to the rest of the HBO Max releases, and of course Gunn's 3rd Guardians movie, whenever that's done (2024?)

I hope every movie fails in the theaters for the next 6 months, at least in the USA or any high covid infection rate country. Stay the fuck home, people.

Aug 9, 2021, 13:53
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 13:53
Aug 9, 2021, 13:53

I really enjoyed Suicide Squad, as well. Some non-spoiler thoughts:

1) John Cena, someone I was never a fan of but kind of sold me a bit in some commercials he's done, really nailed some of his delivery. He had more than a few lines that would be easy to botch that he absolutely sold. I was amused

2) I would watch a buddy comedy starring Pete Davidson and Nathan Fillion

3) This was the first time I watched anything starring this iteration of Harley Quinn, and I wasn't feeling it. Maybe it was the accent. Maybe it's just how huge a presence she is, seeming to be the Halloween costume of every midwestern woman between 20 and 50. But she was annoying for most of the film. Someone told me that's part of her point, she annoys characters, but while that may be true, she's certainly built a fandom you don't get for being annoying to audiences, and she annoyed me

4) It wasn't perfect. It was a bit choppy. I don't feel we really spent much time with any character to develop any kind of emotional bond with them, Bloodshot, in particular, could have been played by pretty much anyone. No one seemed to have much of a character arc. Not every movie needs one, but this felt like it wanted one

5) That said, the only thing I've seen about the first Suicide Squad was a video mocking how pathetic the editing was. Not from a story perspective, but just what a hack job it was visually. This was brilliantly edited visually. You could see every single cent on screen. Gunn had complete command of how the film should look.

A solid 8.5, maybe 9 out of 10. The first GotG was better, even if it still had a handful of jokes that either didn't land or felt very weirdly out of place. This, I think, had fewer of those.

Starmaking Hollywood turn for John Cena.

Aug 9, 2021, 13:12
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 13:12
Aug 9, 2021, 13:12

The Suicide Squad movie was brilliant. I wasn't that much of a fan of the GoTG movies, but I really enjoyed this one. They did a great job of capturing the feel of the comics. With the delta variant raging, I'm guessing most people watched it on HBO Max.

Aug 9, 2021, 12:39
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 12:39
Aug 9, 2021, 12:39

Nucas wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 09:52:
there was a paper from a couple years ago stephen colbert made fun of on his show, showing that men view environmental stewardship as "feminine behavior".

my lived experience is in line with what you're saying though - my mother and aunt don't recycle because it's "liberal".

The comment was about men not recycling due to perceptions about it being 'feminine'. I would think women wouldn't have that particular issue.

https://www.scoutmag.ph/49628/apparently-some-men-think-recycling-is-gay/ (2019 study)

the guardian (2019 study and 2016 study)

Also

https://screenrant.com/incredible-hulk-tv-show-david-bruce-banner-name-change-reason/

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2021, 13:13.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Aug 9, 2021, 09:52
Nucas

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2021, 09:52
Aug 9, 2021, 09:52
 Nucas

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 08:10:
Greentiger wrote on Aug 9, 2021, 07:23:
There is a growing trend in the US for men not to recycle because the act of recycling is perceived as gay.

Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on that one. If red state conservatives aren't recycling it's because like everything else in life they don't give a shit about anyone or anything but themselves.

Speaking of "Game over, man!"....

UN sounds clarion call over 'irreversible' climate impacts by humans

there was a paper from a couple years ago stephen colbert made fun of on his show, showing that men view environmental stewardship as "feminine behavior".

my lived experience is in line with what you're saying though - my mother and aunt don't recycle because it's "liberal".
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older