Out of the Blue

The game-themed logo above is to commemorate Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2, the third-person shooter from Ritual Entertainment. The game's official release was 21 years ago today, though we received word at the time that some got their copies a couple of days early. A sort-of sequel to the animated Heavy Metal 2000 movie, F.A.K.K. 2 featured a main character based on late actress/pinup model Julie Strain. The game received good reviews despite a complicated development cycle, but did not generate enough sales for a sequel. But it remains a cult-title for many, much like its source material. As Don Felder put it in the theme to the original Heavy Metal movie: "Won't you take a ride, ride, ride, on heavy metal. It's the only way that you can travel down that road."

As always, thanks to Walter "2" Costinak for the original version of this logo, and thanks to Scott for renovating it to fit our current format.

Heavy Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories
Thanks brother19.

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Another Failed IQ Test
Aug 8, 2021, 15:58
Re: Another Failed IQ Test Aug 8, 2021, 15:58
Aug 8, 2021, 15:58

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2021, 15:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2021, 10:06:
A leader of the Texas Republican Party hopped on Facebook in May to post about a “mask burning” party 900 miles away in Cincinnati.

“I wished I lived in the area!” wrote H Scott Apley.

"He died of Covid 19"
source
You can deny science, but science won't deny you.
Rightwing radio host and anti-vaxxer dies of Covid

So sad. Hopes and prayers🤡

Dick Farrel was a vociferous critic of Dr Anthony Fauci and urged people not to get vaccinated

Science rules.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Aug 6, 2021, 13:32
Kxmode

Re: Another Failed IQ Test Aug 6, 2021, 13:32
Aug 6, 2021, 13:32
 Kxmode

A leader of the Texas Republican Party hopped on Facebook in May to post about a “mask burning” party 900 miles away in Cincinnati.

"He died of Covid 19"
source

Stupid is as stupid does.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Aug 5, 2021, 15:43
Re: Another Failed IQ Test Aug 5, 2021, 15:43
Aug 5, 2021, 15:43

"He died of Covid 19"
source
You can deny science, but science won't deny you.
With great freedom comes great responsibility.

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 5, 2021, 10:18
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2021, 10:18
Aug 5, 2021, 10:18

76 Corolla https://youtu.be/jVHg1CjqLk8
Biggrin
Trae Crowder is batting a thousand.
Standing in the way of progress is kind of their whole deal

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2021, 10:30.

Aug 5, 2021, 10:15
Re: Another Failed IQ Test Aug 5, 2021, 10:15
Aug 5, 2021, 10:15

"He died of Covid 19"
source
Toyota!
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Another Failed IQ Test
Aug 5, 2021, 10:06
Another Failed IQ Test Aug 5, 2021, 10:06
Aug 5, 2021, 10:06

"He died of Covid 19"
source

Aug 5, 2021, 02:26
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2021, 02:26
Aug 5, 2021, 02:26

Rare flamingo-like bird sighting in Dutchess County.

"Flamingo-like bird?" Wut? Is this site's audience so uninformed that they don't know what a Spoonbill is?

Aug 5, 2021, 02:24
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2021, 02:24
Aug 5, 2021, 02:24

Molson Coors Retires 11 Beers.

What? No more Keystone Ice??

Aug 5, 2021, 01:36
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2021, 01:36
Aug 5, 2021, 01:36

In my 20's I had insomnia. 6 days without any sleep. 7th day (usually, and a oftena Sunday if I could arrange it) I would crash and burn and sleep all day to make up for it. From a mental health standpoint, I would not recommend it.

I overcame it by teaching myself self-hypnosis from a book (I still have that book!). By the time I hit 30 and met my future wife, I had programmed myself to immediately fall asleep whenever my head hit a pillow. She likes watching TV in bed, so we got a recliner for me in the bedroom to watch TV. I usually wouldn't doze off in the recliner, but if I'm in bed I'd drop off immediately.

- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial.
Aug 5, 2021, 01:04
Kxmode

Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 5, 2021, 01:04
Aug 5, 2021, 01:04
 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 20:30:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 16:54:
Cutter wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 16:02:
There's still serious debate about whether we actually need sleep at all - we do need rest however. And a LOT of people (1/3rd of them at least) are biphasic/segmented sleepers. Point in fact, there's a lot of evidence that's pretty much how most of humanity functioned until the industrial age. I'm one myself. That's why the siesta rules.

Humans Used to Sleep in Two Shifts, And Maybe We Should Do It Again
There is some interesting information in your link but nothing to suggest we don't need sleep. And I have no idea where you would get such a notion. I suspect you meant, people don't "need" eight straight hours of sleep. Okay, sure. But sleep in general we need. Among other processes, during sleep toxins are cleared from the brain, not clearing them isn't good for you. The most commonly known need is the need for REM sleep. Go a couple of nights without REM sleep and I guarantee you won't be feeling well...

No, I mean actual REM sleep. There's been a lot of studies/experiments and some scientists posit it's not sleep we need per se, just rest. Not saying I agree but it's an interesting concept. Imagine how much more we could accomplish if we didn't sleep a third of our lives away. That's a lot of time to give up.
There was also that episode of The Next Generation about the lack of REM sleep. "Eyes... in the dark. Two moons circles."
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Aug 4, 2021, 23:01
Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 4, 2021, 23:01
Aug 4, 2021, 23:01

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 18:45:
I guarantee you, you are getting REM sleep.

Probably on the very rare nights when I sleep deeply for a long periods of time. However, that is not my normal sleeping pattering. It isn't just not falling asleep, it's also staying asleep. More often than not, I wake up once an hour and it takes me a couple of minutes of wakefulness to settle down to go back to sleep. Since REM takes, on average, 90 minutes of being asleep to start, it is unlikely on my normal nights that I get any significant amount. My last five sleep studies confirm this pattern. Of course, as I am getting older, REM sleep naturally becomes shorter.

Even so, charting my scans since first being started in my early twenties, you can definitely see where my brain has adapted to less restful sleep and a lack of sleep. Over the years, my brain has learned to spike Beta waves faster and maintain the elevated rise even when coming out from under the use of sedative-hypnotics for sleep and it has an incredibly hard time with bringing them down under non-medicated sleeping patterns. It also tends to rapidly cycle Gamma waves upward compared to the mean average. For REM sleep, you need higher Delta and Theta wave activity. The two waves my brain seems to have the hardest time cycling and maintaining.

That's why I said I'm a neurological freak and my brain has adapted to either no sleep or poor sleep. The downside is a wicked craving for carbs.

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 21:36:
Man dies after going 11 days without sleep https://www.huffpost.com/entry/man-dies-11-days-no-sleep-deprivation-jiang-xiaoshan_n_1631703
We.Need.Sleep. period

My record is nine days of wakefulness. The hallucinations were fun in a drunken sort of way but I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck. Had to take a 2mg dose of Halcion to break that streak and I got to wake up the next day still feeling drunk and still hallucinating but the hallucinations were different. Very dreamy, hazy with shifts in color and visual acuity Sounds were drawn out and slightly muffled. Mrs. Burrito claims I had a three hour long conversation with my grandfather who has been dead since I was twelve years old. Had to taper off with some zolpediem to prevent the rebound insomnia that a sudden halting of Halcion produces. That was not a fun week.

Y'all get your sleep.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Aug 4, 2021, 22:54
Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 4, 2021, 22:54
Aug 4, 2021, 22:54

Cutter wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 20:30:
No, I mean actual REM sleep. There's been a lot of studies/experiments and some scientists posit it's not sleep we need per se, just rest. Not saying I agree but it's an interesting concept. Imagine how much more we could accomplish if we didn't sleep a third of our lives away. That's a lot of time to give up.
Sorry if I am being dense, but are you claiming you only need REM sleep or that you don't need REM sleep?

Aug 4, 2021, 21:36
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2021, 21:36
Aug 4, 2021, 21:36

Thank you lincoln project https://youtu.be/7wsv_tVy9SA
Says "a lot of studies/experiments and some scientists posit", provides no links.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-long-can-humans-stay/
Man dies after going 11 days without sleep https://www.huffpost.com/entry/man-dies-11-days-no-sleep-deprivation-jiang-xiaoshan_n_1631703

We.Need.Sleep. period

Aug 4, 2021, 20:30
Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 4, 2021, 20:30
Aug 4, 2021, 20:30

There's still serious debate about whether we actually need sleep at all - we do need rest however. And a LOT of people (1/3rd of them at least) are biphasic/segmented sleepers. Point in fact, there's a lot of evidence that's pretty much how most of humanity functioned until the industrial age. I'm one myself. That's why the siesta rules.

There is some interesting information in your link but nothing to suggest we don't need sleep. And I have no idea where you would get such a notion. I suspect you meant, people don't "need" eight straight hours of sleep. Okay, sure. But sleep in general we need. Among other processes, during sleep toxins are cleared from the brain, not clearing them isn't good for you. The most commonly known need is the need for REM sleep. Go a couple of nights without REM sleep and I guarantee you won't be feeling well...

"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Aug 4, 2021, 20:08
Nucas

Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 4, 2021, 20:08
Aug 4, 2021, 20:08
 Nucas

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 18:45:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 17:15:
Go a couple of nights without REM sleep and I guarantee you won't be feeling well...

Or you become a neurological freak like me and your brain adapts. I'll probably get dementia because of that adaptation and die early but c'est la vie. Not like I had a choice in the matter.
give it a few months, you'll get used to it. or you'll have a psychotic episode.

Aug 4, 2021, 18:45
Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 4, 2021, 18:45
Aug 4, 2021, 18:45

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 4, 2021, 17:15:
Go a couple of nights without REM sleep and I guarantee you won't be feeling well...

Or you become a neurological freak like me and your brain adapts. I'll probably get dementia because of that adaptation and die early but c'est la vie. Not like I had a choice in the matter.

Aug 4, 2021, 17:54
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2021, 17:54
Aug 4, 2021, 17:54

Rest in Peace Julie Strain.

Aug 4, 2021, 17:29
Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2021, 17:29
Aug 4, 2021, 17:29

some high functioning people are able to go without sleep - but rather a short period of "rest" or meditation...

just like elves in D&D

Aug 4, 2021, 17:15
Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 4, 2021, 17:15
Aug 4, 2021, 17:15

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Aug 4, 2021, 16:54
Re: Experiment Reveals Why Getting More Sleep Isn't Always Beneficial. Aug 4, 2021, 16:54
Aug 4, 2021, 16:54

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older