J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard

Following the messy fallout of the lawsuit against Activision Blizzard over sexual harassment in the workplace, Blizzard announces J. Allen Brack is stepping down from his position as president of Blizzard Entertainment. Word is Brack is being replaced by Jen O'Neal and Mike Ybarra, who will co-lead the studio going forward. A separate announcement says: "With Jen and Mike assuming their new roles, J. Allen Brack is leaving the company to pursue new opportunities." The news focuses on how this will change Blizzard's culture:
We want to let you know about an important leadership change at Blizzard Entertainment.

Starting today, J. Allen Brack will be stepping down as the leader of the studio, and Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will co-lead Blizzard moving forward.

Jen joined Blizzard in January as executive vice president of development, where she’s been providing senior development leadership and support to the Diablo and Overwatch franchises. Jen is the former head of Vicarious Visions (which is now part of Blizzard Entertainment).

After many years at XBOX, Mike joined the company in 2019 as the executive vice president and general manager of platform and technology, where he’s been overseeing the evolution of Battle.net and our development services organization.

Jen and Mike have more than three decades of gaming industry experience between them. Moving forward, they will share responsibilities over game development and company operations.

Both leaders are deeply committed to all of our employees; to the work ahead to ensure Blizzard is the safest, most welcoming workplace possible for women, and people of any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or background; to upholding and reinforcing our values; and to rebuilding your trust. With their many years of industry experience and deep commitment to integrity and inclusivity, Jen and Mike will lead Blizzard with care, compassion, and a dedication to excellence. You’ll hear more from Jen and Mike soon.

The following is a message from J. Allen Brack:
“I am confident that Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will provide the leadership Blizzard needs to realize its full potential and will accelerate the pace of change. I anticipate they will do so with passion and enthusiasm and that they can be trusted to lead with the highest levels of integrity and commitment to the components of our culture that make Blizzard so special.”

Finally, thank you all for being a part of the Blizzard community, and for your passion and determination for safety and equality for all.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard
Aug 5, 2021, 11:46
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 5, 2021, 11:46
Aug 5, 2021, 11:46

So Bobby outs another one of the original team. I guess the bright side is they can't really make WoW any worse than it is.

Aug 4, 2021, 06:47
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 4, 2021, 06:47
Aug 4, 2021, 06:47

Bobby Kotick is the player who orchestrated this entire fiasco. Brack and others are just token fall guys. Kotick is owns and totally controls Blizzard. Blizzard is just one tiny department of the global mega-corporation that is Activision. This is like Henry Ford the II, canning the department head of the Edsel brand, as if Henry did not approve the whole fiasco from the get go.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Aug 4, 2021, 01:58
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 4, 2021, 01:58
Aug 4, 2021, 01:58

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 20:49:
hypnotic wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 17:10:
@RedEye9 So that ties in to to ego theory. Life is pretty simple once we understand the lego blocks that builds "us", and makes us, well us. Basic psychology. I hate it because it defines and exposes me too, in such a simple fashion, but its laws holds true for each and everyone of us. So it makes it easy to understand why people do what they do and why they make the decisions they do. Basic psycology. No one is exempt of its scrutiny Anyway, big fan of your posts, been reading it for years, haha, so I hope I am not coming across as another idiot that is questioning your opinion
OK, I understand now about ego and why he would rather quit than be fired. Your not coming across as another I.D. 10 T.
But I am a bit worried that you're a big fan of my posts.

It is indeed highly suspect.

Aug 4, 2021, 00:46
Kxmode

Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 4, 2021, 00:46
Aug 4, 2021, 00:46
 Kxmode

hypnotic wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 15:18:
There's only 2 reasons I can see why anyone would leave a position like that. 1) Ego is damaged 2) Betterer rewards elsewhere.

Why not both?

Is there possibly a 3rd?

3rd Rock from the Sun 😄
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Aug 3, 2021, 22:47
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 22:47
Aug 3, 2021, 22:47

There's only 2 reasons I can see why anyone would leave a position like that. 1) Ego is damaged 2) Betterer rewards elsewhere. Is there possibly a 3rd?

Be in charge while your company is going through an extremely public and destructive sexual harassment investigation, have a large walkout of your workforce in support of the investigation and its findings, and be one of only two people specifically mentioned by name in the investigation's release?

But sure, I guess maybe he just got a better job.

Aug 3, 2021, 20:49
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 20:49
Aug 3, 2021, 20:49

hypnotic wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 17:10:
@RedEye9 So that ties in to to ego theory. Life is pretty simple once we understand the lego blocks that builds "us", and makes us, well us. Basic psychology. I hate it because it defines and exposes me too, in such a simple fashion, but its laws holds true for each and everyone of us. So it makes it easy to understand why people do what they do and why they make the decisions they do. Basic psycology. No one is exempt of its scrutiny Anyway, big fan of your posts, been reading it for years, haha, so I hope I am not coming across as another idiot that is questioning your opinion
OK, I understand now about ego and why he would rather quit than be fired. Your not coming across as another I.D. 10 T.
But I am a bit worried that you're a big fan of my posts.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Aug 3, 2021, 20:19
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 20:19
Aug 3, 2021, 20:19

There's only 2 reasons I can see why anyone would leave a position like that. 1) Ego is damaged 2) Betterer rewards elsewhere. Is there possibly a 3rd?

3) Go work on Star Citizen with his old friend Chris Roberts

Aug 3, 2021, 18:25
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 18:25
Aug 3, 2021, 18:25

Hattori Hanzō wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 15:49:
In the Bible, the name Azazel (/əˈzeɪzəl, ˈæzəˌzɛl/; Hebrew: עֲזָאזֵל‎ ʿAzāʾzēl; Arabic: عزازيل‎, romanized: ʿAzāzīl) appears in association with the scapegoat rite; the name represents a desolate place where a scapegoat bearing the sins of the Jews during Yom Kippur was sent.

In the Hebrew Bible, the term is used thrice in Leviticus 16, where two male goats were to be sacrificed to Yahweh and one of the two was selected by lot, for Yahweh is seen as speaking through the lots. One goat is selected by lot and sent into the wilderness לַעֲזָאזֵל‎, "for Azazel". This goat was then cast out in the desert as part of Yom Kippur. The scapegoat ritual can be traced back to 24th century BC Ebla, from where it spread throughout the ancient Near East.

During the end of the Second Temple period, his association as a fallen angel responsible for introducing humans to forbidden knowledge emerged due to Hellenization, Christian narrative, and interpretation exemplified in the Book of Enoch. His role as a fallen angel partly remains in Christian and Islamic traditions.

He was also excellent in Fallen starring opposite Denzel Washington. I'm really surprised I haven't seen him in more films.
Wry

Time is on my side...yes it is....
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Aug 3, 2021, 18:22
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 18:22
Aug 3, 2021, 18:22

Hattori Hanzō wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 16:38:
scapegoats, kids

look it up

Except, y'know, the buck stops somewhere. We've moved away from personal responsibility in this country over the past few years, but generally, if a huge fuckup happens on your watch, you bear some responsibility. If it's something you knew about, or should have, you bear a lot. If it's something you were involved in, you bear an extreme amount.

This guy bore a huge amount of responsibility.
So did the Global CHRO, who also just got canned.

Aug 3, 2021, 17:45
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 17:45
Aug 3, 2021, 17:45

Hattori Hanzō wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 16:38:
scapegoats, kids

look it up
It might interest you to learn that J. Allen Brack was one of the only two people actually named in the complaint. He's not a mere scapegoat.

Aug 3, 2021, 17:28
Kxmode

Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 17:28
Aug 3, 2021, 17:28
 Kxmode

Avatarium wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 15:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 14:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 13:36:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 13:28:
Are we going to drag the carcass away or just continue flogging it until it turns in to a gooey paste that we can scoop up with shovels?
Use a spoon, you wouldn't want to waste any of this gruel.

Why a spoon, cousin?

Because it'll hurt more...!
That's it then! Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Aug 3, 2021, 17:10
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 17:10
Aug 3, 2021, 17:10

Aug 3, 2021, 16:38
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 16:38
Aug 3, 2021, 16:38

scapegoats, kids

look it up

Aug 3, 2021, 16:25
El Pit

Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 16:25
Aug 3, 2021, 16:25
 El Pit

In the Bible, the name Azazel (/əˈzeɪzəl, ˈæzəˌzɛl/; Hebrew: עֲזָאזֵל‎ ʿAzāʾzēl; Arabic: عزازيل‎, romanized: ʿAzāzīl) appears in association with the scapegoat rite; the name represents a desolate place where a scapegoat bearing the sins of the Jews during Yom Kippur was sent.

In the Hebrew Bible, the term is used thrice in Leviticus 16, where two male goats were to be sacrificed to Yahweh and one of the two was selected by lot, for Yahweh is seen as speaking through the lots. One goat is selected by lot and sent into the wilderness לַעֲזָאזֵל‎, "for Azazel". This goat was then cast out in the desert as part of Yom Kippur. The scapegoat ritual can be traced back to 24th century BC Ebla, from where it spread throughout the ancient Near East.

During the end of the Second Temple period, his association as a fallen angel responsible for introducing humans to forbidden knowledge emerged due to Hellenization, Christian narrative, and interpretation exemplified in the Book of Enoch. His role as a fallen angel partly remains in Christian and Islamic traditions.

Uhm... NURSE!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Aug 3, 2021, 16:21
NKD
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 16:21
Aug 3, 2021, 16:21
NKD

???

Aug 3, 2021, 16:13
Kxmode

Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 16:13
Aug 3, 2021, 16:13
 Kxmode

"You think you do but you don't."

Aug 3, 2021, 15:49
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 15:49
Aug 3, 2021, 15:49

Aug 3, 2021, 15:39
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 15:39
Aug 3, 2021, 15:39

theglaze wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 11:27:
Difficult to imagine Bliz can simultaneously develop good games during all of this change.

It hardly makes a difference when there's top layer turnover. Most of them are just filled with hot air and incompetence (bottom line thinkers). As long as the hard-working passion is still at the game dev layers, then there shouldn't be much of a problem. The only risk is the swift cultural change which will likely cause delays since all employees will take weeks of new training. And some of that training will continue annually. The way I see it, if the culture was that bad for as long as they say, then replacing most of upper management is the right move, which will likely result in better products, better decisions in the long run. On the other hand, their rep has been dragged in the mud now, so it might be difficult to hire new talent.

Aug 3, 2021, 15:38
Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 15:38
Aug 3, 2021, 15:38

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 14:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 13:36:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 13:28:
Are we going to drag the carcass away or just continue flogging it until it turns in to a gooey paste that we can scoop up with shovels?
Use a spoon, you wouldn't want to waste any of this gruel.

Why a spoon, cousin?

Because it'll hurt more...!

Aug 3, 2021, 15:34
El Pit

Re: J. Allen Brack Leaving Blizzard Aug 3, 2021, 15:34
Aug 3, 2021, 15:34
 El Pit

He could still run for US presidency, though. The job profile seems to be different.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older