22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less.
Aug 3, 2021, 20:19
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 3, 2021, 20:19
Aug 3, 2021, 20:19

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 23:39:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 22:58:
I'm wondering when YouTube is going to make ads that bypass ad blockers like Twitch did.

Browser blockage, maybe, but then it becomes an arms race. Remember when ad networks tried to do the same thing? They lost. Then websites tried to shame you with interstitials and ad blockers found a way to block those, too. Now we're at "we're going to block 90% of the screen until you disable your adblocker with our bullshit whining". Soon, someone will find a way around that, too.

The last time I looked, twitch ads still bypass ad blockers. I did a quick search just now, and it appears they still do, although I saw links to some dedicated twitch blockers, but according to the reviews they aren't working. Twitch detects them and redirects people using them to a page telling them to disable it and try again.

The only one that might be working is one called Alternate Player for Twitch.tv. It looks like it's worth installing even if it didn't block ads. I don't watch much twitch streaming, mostly official developer/publisher streams and such, which usually don't run ads. The ones that do have ads, at least for now they aren't too bad. It's a 10-20 second ad when you first load the stream, and you don't always get the ad.

I have yet to find a site that can get around a network level blocker like pfblocker-ng or pi-hole. Not saying they do not exist, just I haven't come across them yet.
Have you tried that with Twitch?

For me, I no longer bothering clicking on Washington Post, The Atlantic, or New York Post links. Whatever they have to say will be printed elsewhere without their shenanigans.
I've never had ads with uBlock Origin on Firefox on those sites. If some site puts up a nag screen telling you to disable your ad blocker before the filter's get updated to block it, it's easily bypassed with uBlock's element zapper tool.

Edit: I just tried the Alternate Player for Twitch.tv addon. It doesn't block ads, it hides them. You just see a black screen that says "hiding ads" while the ad plays.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2021, 21:11.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Aug 3, 2021, 09:14
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 3, 2021, 09:14
Aug 3, 2021, 09:14

Beamer wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 08:59:
Yeah, you may not, but you have to admit that "letting people get paid for the enjoyment I'm getting" is a good reason, just not enough to override the hassle and moral quagmire of ads.
We'll as far as TV goes, I am paying through Dish TV. For the Internet if they give me enough value they get paid assuming they have setup a way to do that, like there is here at Blue's. I do not consider watching ads as an acceptable way to charge me for your content. If that's all you got, you're going to lose my contribution. If your Youtube channel going away means a momentarily "Oh well" from me guess what, while I might have watched a few dozen of your videos if it had been required for me to pay $.05 per video, I probably wouldn't have watched any of them.

Literally no company makes content out of the good of their heart. Not sports, be it the NFL or the Olympics. Not Disney, be it Loki or ESPN. Not whomever your favorite YouTuber is, who likely quit their day job to make that content.

Ultimately, this stuff costs money to create and to host/distribute. Someone needs to get paid. If a minority of users block ads, people get paid, while others free ride. If a majority does, the system falls apart, and we say goodbye to probably every single website every person here goes to. Or, we have a situation like in streaming video where we're getting monthly charges from a dozen different sites.
Obviously true, no corporation (with possibly a very few exceptions) is making any content for any reason other than to make money. I pay for some of it. What I won't do is watch ads to pay for it.

Again, I use Brave. I'm just saying that "I would like the people that make things I enjoy to keep doing so" is a good reason to see ads. "I would like privacy" is a good reason to not see ads. Burrito made it black and white, but it isn't.

It's more a moral grey area than "I hate copyright protection, so I pirate all my games," but it's still a similar argument of "in order to get this entertainment I need to give up something I don't want to, so rather than just not get this entertainment I will instead get it without compensating those responsible for me viewing it."
So you are railing against ad blocking while you are doing it?

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2021, 11:05.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 3, 2021, 08:59
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 3, 2021, 08:59
Aug 3, 2021, 08:59

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 08:49:

You are absolutely right about one thing. I do not find your argument compelling.

Yeah, you may not, but you have to admit that "letting people get paid for the enjoyment I'm getting" is a good reason, just not enough to override the hassle and moral quagmire of ads.

Literally no company makes content out of the good of their heart. Not sports, be it the NFL or the Olympics. Not Disney, be it Loki or ESPN. Not whomever your favorite YouTuber is, who likely quit their day job to make that content.

Ultimately, this stuff costs money to create and to host/distribute. Someone needs to get paid. If a minority of users block ads, people get paid, while others free ride. If a majority does, the system falls apart, and we say goodbye to probably every single website every person here goes to. Or, we have a situation like in streaming video where we're getting monthly charges from a dozen different sites.

Again, I use Brave. I'm just saying that "I would like the people that make things I enjoy to keep doing so" is a good reason to see ads. "I would like privacy" is a good reason to not see ads. Burrito made it black and white, but it isn't.

It's more a moral grey area than "I hate copyright protection, so I pirate all my games," but it's still a similar argument of "in order to get this entertainment I need to give up something I don't want to, so rather than just not get this entertainment I will instead get it without compensating those responsible for me viewing it."

Aug 3, 2021, 08:49
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 3, 2021, 08:49
Aug 3, 2021, 08:49

Beamer wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 23:48:
First, you need a DVR. Odds are you're paying for one, meaning you're paying for cable, meaning the corporations owning those channels still get paid. And, through the DVR, still get data. Maybe you are using an antenna and built your own DVR. In that case, it's technical knowledge and work, and effort, that only a few can do, as opposed to simply installing Brave.

Then, there's a time lapse, as well. Most, or at least a significantly enough amount of, people aren't really interested in that. It takes planning. You're giving up watching now for watching later. On YouTube, that isn't true.

Not to mention, you still see ads on DVR, you just see them for 5 seconds. No current DVR skips ads perfectly without you paying attention.

There are trade-offs to using a DVR. There are none to using an ad blocker.
My first DVRs (four of them) were one time purchases without continuing payments. They had automatic commercial skipping, which worked very well on most shows and had peer to peer show sharing. Used those for about 15 years? Something like that. They were the Betamax of DVRs, Sonic Blue ReplayTV -- best technology but lost anyway. But that's neither here nor there.

I agree currently someone is getting money from the fee I pay for having a DVR with Dish TV. I also agree they are probably getting some kind of data out of my usage. I'd love to see any confirmed information on if anyone but Dish gets that money. I'd also loved to know what they think of the fact I have watched Arrival a dozen times.

And, again, I'm not saying you're morally obligated to see ads. I said it isn't piracy or stealing, that it's more complicated. It's absolutely free riding. It's absolutely abusing a system in a way that it would fall apart to everyone's detriment were we to all do it. Again, YouTube would either not exist or be paid, meaning far fewer people would use it. I use it frequently. It has major issues, but major benefits. It losing all, or near all, revenue would basically end the benefits. If ads didn't exist, we wouldn't have Blues, or we'd have Blue but he'd be taking payments for sponsored content or highlighting certain products (fully disclosed, of course, he's utterly principled.)

I'm just saying that "there's no reason to see ads in 2021" is wrong. There's a good reason - the only reason you're doing whatever you're doing is ads. Are you on Reddit? Browing Blues? Buying something super cheap on Amazon? Playing a free game on your phone? It all exists solely because of ads. That's the reason why. You may not find it compelling. You may find the trade offs awful. But it's a valid reason, so saying "no reason" feels short sighted and incorrect. It's just not a reason that appeals to you.
Your premise seems to be they only reason people make television shows and Internet content is to get paid. I might be willing to agree to that. But it puts no onus me to participate in their revenue creating activities. Before DVRs I often walked out of the room during commercials or muted the TV. I'd also love to see some statistics on the percentage of people who actually use ad blockers. I'll bet it is really low. I suspect it is a total non-issue. I'm not sure you can say it is right or wrong to say "there's no reason to see ads in 2021", I would say ""there's no reason to see ads in 2021, if you don't want to".

Concerning the time lapse stuff, I have no idea why you brought it up. I watch more "live" things via television than I ever have via the Internet. Time shifting is a benefit of the DVR. I don't recall every thinking "damn I want to watch this, but I need to record it on the DVR first". I literally have hundreds of hours of shows and movies recorded on my DVR. The big exception is the NFL, but even there it has been mostly reduced to a negligible amount of commercials. Our standard setup these days in the Red Zone on the center TV (very few commercials) and muted specific games on the left and right TVs.

You are absolutely right about one thing. I do not find your argument compelling.

Aug 2, 2021, 23:48
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 23:48
Aug 2, 2021, 23:48

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 19:14:
Beamer wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 16:54:
I mean, but there is, right? You're taking resources for free. I'm not going to call it piracy or stealing, as it's more complicated than that, but people make content to put in YouTube to get paid for it. Google hosts huge amounts of data, most of which is hardly viewed, to get paid for it.

That's a reason to see ads. If everyone were to AdBlock, there'd be significantly less content all around.
How does this compare to television ads? If I record something on my DVR and skip over the commercials when I watch it, is it the equivalent of ad blocking on a browser? If not, why not? And just out of curiosity, are you saying you don't use an ad blocker?
There are a few differences.

First, you need a DVR. Odds are you're paying for one, meaning you're paying for cable, meaning the corporations owning those channels still get paid. And, through the DVR, still get data. Maybe you are using an antenna and built your own DVR. In that case, it's technical knowledge and work, and effort, that only a few can do, as opposed to simply installing Brave.

Then, there's a time lapse, as well. Most, or at least a significantly enough amount of, people aren't really interested in that. It takes planning. You're giving up watching now for watching later. On YouTube, that isn't true.

Not to mention, you still see ads on DVR, you just see them for 5 seconds. No current DVR skips ads perfectly without you paying attention.

There are trade-offs to using a DVR. There are none to using an ad blocker.

And, again, I'm not saying you're morally obligated to see ads. I said it isn't piracy or stealing, that it's more complicated. It's absolutely free riding. It's absolutely abusing a system in a way that it would fall apart to everyone's detriment were we to all do it. Again, YouTube would either not exist or be paid, meaning far fewer people would use it. I use it frequently. It has major issues, but major benefits. It losing all, or near all, revenue would basically end the benefits. If ads didn't exist, we wouldn't have Blues, or we'd have Blue but he'd be taking payments for sponsored content or highlighting certain products (fully disclosed, of course, he's utterly principled.)

I'm just saying that "there's no reason to see ads in 2021" is wrong. There's a good reason - the only reason you're doing whatever you're doing is ads. Are you on Reddit? Browing Blues? Buying something super cheap on Amazon? Playing a free game on your phone? It all exists solely because of ads. That's the reason why. You may not find it compelling. You may find the trade offs awful. But it's a valid reason, so saying "no reason" feels short sighted and incorrect. It's just not a reason that appeals to you.

Aug 2, 2021, 23:39
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 23:39

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 18:32:
I mean, but there is, right? You're taking resources for free. I'm not going to call it piracy or stealing, as it's more complicated than that, but people make content to put in YouTube to get paid for it. Google hosts huge amounts of data, most of which is hardly viewed, to get paid for it.

That's a reason to see ads. If everyone were to AdBlock, there'd be significantly less content all around.

You and I have fundamentally disagreed on the web for a while now so I do not expect us to come to an agreement on this topic. I'm not hostile about it, I think our philosophies are fundamentally opposed from one another.

Ads are a parasitic revenue model. If content is worth something, people will pay for it. If it isn't, then people won't. It's that simple. I am not legally or morally beholden to watch ads so I don't.

I also think that no one is morally or legally beholden to watch ads. So I endeavor to inform as many people as I can on ways to entirely prevent ads from ever being displayed. When Blue opened this site up to patronage, I jumped onboard immediately. I felt, and still feel, that the work of Blue and Frans are worth paying for to enjoy. The fact that it is ad free is simply a bonus because I never saw ads in the first place.

Significantly less content isn't also necessarily a bad thing though. Should YouTube magically go broke overnight, it's not like the web would crumble to dust. Some companies might but that's their fault for depending wholly on a single solution provider. I don't feel any pity for them or "content creators" who have chosen to have their whole existence revolve around a single video delivery service. Did you feel heartbroken when Blockbuster went out of business or were you able to find the same or similar content elsewhere?

Further, ad networks are notorious for having, shall we say, less than stellar postures on security. Why not easily close off an attack vector?

Yes, hence why I said it's more complicated, but without ads, would Blues exist? Only he can say, but I'd wager this site would have been left in 2003.

No one is going to make significant content, or host it, for free without ads.

Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 23:39

I'm wondering when YouTube is going to make ads that bypass ad blockers like Twitch did.

Browser blockage, maybe, but then it becomes an arms race. Remember when ad networks tried to do the same thing? They lost. Then websites tried to shame you with interstitials and ad blockers found a way to block those, too. Now we're at "we're going to block 90% of the screen until you disable your adblocker with our bullshit whining". Soon, someone will find a way around that, too.

I have yet to find a site that can get around a network level blocker like pfblocker-ng or pi-hole. Not saying they do not exist, just I haven't come across them yet.

For me, I no longer bothering clicking on Washington Post, The Atlantic, or New York Post links. Whatever they have to say will be printed elsewhere without their shenanigans.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Re: Morning Metaverse
Aug 2, 2021, 23:27
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2021, 23:27
Aug 2, 2021, 23:27

8K is a resolution, not the viewing audience. Just clearing up the confusion.

Aug 2, 2021, 23:11
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 23:11
Aug 2, 2021, 23:11

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 10:48:
Brave's built in ad-blocker and Ublock Origin on Firefox already does this for free. Why would I pay for it?
soon
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Aug 2, 2021, 22:58
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 22:58
Aug 2, 2021, 22:58

Brave's built in ad-blocker and Ublock Origin on Firefox already does this for free. Why would I pay for it?

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 11:49:
It was a sad day when I had to abandon Firefox. But there was this annoying hitching/pause thing it would do when typing out text that never got fixed and happened on multiple machines with differing hardware.
Weird, I've never had that problem and I use Firefox on everything, Windows and Linux.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Aug 2, 2021, 19:14
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 19:14
Aug 2, 2021, 19:14

How does this compare to television ads? If I record something on my DVR and skip over the commercials when I watch it, is it the equivalent of ad blocking on a browser? If not, why not? And just out of curiosity, are you saying you don't use an ad blocker?

Aug 2, 2021, 18:32
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 18:32
Aug 2, 2021, 18:32

You and I have fundamentally disagreed on the web for a while now so I do not expect us to come to an agreement on this topic. I'm not hostile about it, I think our philosophies are fundamentally opposed from one another.

Ads are a parasitic revenue model. If content is worth something, people will pay for it. If it isn't, then people won't. It's that simple. I am not legally or morally beholden to watch ads so I don't.

I also think that no one is morally or legally beholden to watch ads. So I endeavor to inform as many people as I can on ways to entirely prevent ads from ever being displayed. When Blue opened this site up to patronage, I jumped onboard immediately. I felt, and still feel, that the work of Blue and Frans are worth paying for to enjoy. The fact that it is ad free is simply a bonus because I never saw ads in the first place.

Significantly less content isn't also necessarily a bad thing though. Should YouTube magically go broke overnight, it's not like the web would crumble to dust. Some companies might but that's their fault for depending wholly on a single solution provider. I don't feel any pity for them or "content creators" who have chosen to have their whole existence revolve around a single video delivery service. Did you feel heartbroken when Blockbuster went out of business or were you able to find the same or similar content elsewhere?

Further, ad networks are notorious for having, shall we say, less than stellar postures on security. Why not easily close off an attack vector?

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Re: Morning Metaverse
Aug 2, 2021, 17:38
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2021, 17:38
Aug 2, 2021, 17:38

Huh, never heard of Vivaldi before. I'm happy with Brave so far, but I might check out Vivaldi for giggles...

Aug 2, 2021, 16:54
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 16:54
Aug 2, 2021, 16:54

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 16:51:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 16:21:
I don't know what I did to deserve this... but I never have unskippable ads on youtube.
Skip button always pops up for me after 5 seconds. Even if I'm getting two ads, the first skip button covers both.

The point, really, is that you shouldn't see any ads at all. There's no reason to in the modern age.

OpticNerve wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 16:32:
Yeah, I use Brave for more personal stuff (paying online bills, online shopping etc.) but generally I often use Vivaldi for normal everyday browsing. I was a huge Opera user way back then and Vivaldi just feels like Opera v2.0 when it comes to useful features that seems aimed right at me (I know there's still an Opera browser but that's now owned by a Chinese company so...). I haven't used FF or Chrome in a long, long while now.

I tried to like Vivaldi. I gave it a month. It just didn't resonate with me. But if it did for you, awesome!

No one should use Chrome. Chrome is the IE of the modern web.

Aug 2, 2021, 16:51
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 16:51
Aug 2, 2021, 16:51

Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 16:21:
I don't know what I did to deserve this... but I never have unskippable ads on youtube.
Skip button always pops up for me after 5 seconds. Even if I'm getting two ads, the first skip button covers both.

The point, really, is that you shouldn't see any ads at all. There's no reason to in the modern age.

OpticNerve wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 16:32:
Yeah, I use Brave for more personal stuff (paying online bills, online shopping etc.) but generally I often use Vivaldi for normal everyday browsing. I was a huge Opera user way back then and Vivaldi just feels like Opera v2.0 when it comes to useful features that seems aimed right at me (I know there's still an Opera browser but that's now owned by a Chinese company so...). I haven't used FF or Chrome in a long, long while now.

I tried to like Vivaldi. I gave it a month. It just didn't resonate with me. But if it did for you, awesome!

No one should use Chrome. Chrome is the IE of the modern web.

Aug 2, 2021, 16:49
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 16:49
Aug 2, 2021, 16:49

DrSquick wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 16:18:

I still won't buy it, but mobile on an iPhone is one reason. Every so often I want to show a 15 second funny clip, and inevitably, it will be ruined by two 30-second ads.

There's Brave for iOS.
Firefox too.

So there's no reason to suffer through ads.

Aug 2, 2021, 16:32
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 16:32
Aug 2, 2021, 16:32

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 11:49:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 11:09:
Exactly what I immediately thought on reading the article. Loving Brave, seems to be far more functional than FF.

I, too, am using Brave. It was a sad day when I had to abandon Firefox. But there was this annoying hitching/pause thing it would do when typing out text that never got fixed and happened on multiple machines with differing hardware.

Ah well, every dynasty falls eventually.

Aug 2, 2021, 16:21
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 16:21
Aug 2, 2021, 16:21

Aug 2, 2021, 16:18
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 16:18
Aug 2, 2021, 16:18

I still won't buy it, but mobile on an iPhone is one reason. Every so often I want to show a 15 second funny clip, and inevitably, it will be ruined by two 30-second ads.

Aug 2, 2021, 11:49
Re: YouTube ‘Premium Lite’ subscription offers ad-free viewing for less. Aug 2, 2021, 11:49
Aug 2, 2021, 11:49

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 11:09:
Exactly what I immediately thought on reading the article. Loving Brave, seems to be far more functional than FF.

I, too, am using Brave. It was a sad day when I had to abandon Firefox. But there was this annoying hitching/pause thing it would do when typing out text that never got fixed and happened on multiple machines with differing hardware.

Ah well, every dynasty falls eventually.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older