David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit

A series of tweets from David Brevik of Graybeard Games has a reaction to the lawsuit filed against Activision Blizzard over a "frat boy" culture of sexual harassment (thanks Black Square). Brevik is co-founder of Blizzard North where the Diablo series was born, and he reflects on what's going on at his former home. He describes his own zero-tolerance policy in such matters, which extends to Blizzard, as he says "I doubt I will ever support Blizzard in any way again." Here's the content of the four tweets:
I have been vocal about it on our stream, but not here on Twitter.

I am outraged and furious.

I'm so upset that I can barely talk about it.

My heart breaks thinking about the pain, suffering and trauma the victims went through.

This was NOT the culture at Blizzard North. We had just one incident and I fired the instigator right away. He happened to be my best friend of 10+ years, but it didn't matter. Post-Blizzard, there have been a few incidents and my policy is: no tolerance. I've fired them all.

I am happy that the employees at Blizzard are standing up to management and demanding change. I wholeheartedly support them.

However, this event has had such a profound impact on me, that I doubt I will ever support Blizzard in any way again.

I hope the victims find some justice. I hope this becomes a force for change, not just at Blizzard, but industry-wide.

Treat people with respect. It isn't that hard.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit
Aug 2, 2021, 07:54
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Aug 2, 2021, 07:54
Aug 2, 2021, 07:54

I didn't introduce the black friend argument. Greentiger did. I am, however, still waiting for a proper argument against the claim that if you -- as a matter of fact -- have a black friend, you can't be racist toward black people. I know y'all prefer not to have an actual discussion and instead just go insult-mode and enter the cirkle-jerk of "haha he so stupid", so I know I'm wasting my breath here. But for shits and giggles, explain to me why -- of the few cards against the racists claim -- one cannot play that card? After all, it's so difficult to prove a negative, so it's kind of silly that this argument is trending among a certain group of people as something that should immediately be scoffed at.

I'm also still waiting for Beamer to prove any misogyny from me, or anyone for that matter on this forum. I'm against BLM so I must be racist. I'm questioning the validity of some claims regarding this lawsuit (I don't), so I must hate women. It comes so natural to you people to just throw people into a category without second thought, you're not even seeing how ridiculous you're being and how this polarization will only make things worse.

Aug 1, 2021, 00:20
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Aug 1, 2021, 00:20
Aug 1, 2021, 00:20

It definitely explains a lot.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 31, 2021, 23:36
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 23:36
Jul 31, 2021, 23:36

Did our most ignorant friend just say that "I have black friends" is a valid argument?

That goes from ignorant into just moronic

Jul 31, 2021, 19:39
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 19:39
Jul 31, 2021, 19:39

Rilcon wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 17:44:
Quinn wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 17:19:
Greentiger wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 17:11:
Quinn wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 17:07:
Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 12:55:
Rilcon wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 04:23:
Why do threads about "Don't sexually assault people" always make some people devolve into "literally 1984 / dumb SJWs liberals want to take away our freedumbs"?

It's a rhetorical question, of course, I already know it's because they have the emotional intelligence of a monitor lizard and the ego of a sentient cheeto.

I'd wager some here know they're not the most respectful of women and are afraid that it may some day get called out

I have a loving wife, a daughter and a second daughter on the way. Prove that I am not respectful of woman. Come at me. I am giving you the floor. Come on. One quote. One fucking quote. Proof your case or be marked a lying troll for the rest of all future threads. Look me in the digital eye. Confront me. Convict me of the shit you tell me I should be convicted of. Right now. For all to see.

Or forever hold your toxic breath.

Not saying you are or you are not respectful towards women--However saying stuff like "I have a wife and daughter" doesn't really say anything either way. There are plenty of women that believe men should be the head of household and "traditional families" and all that just as there are a lot of women that do not believe that. All that really means is you found someone with compatible beliefs. Just like anyone can say "I have a black friend", or "I have a gay friend".

Ok let's get to the real truth. When someone has a black friend, they really can't be racist, can they? Or are you prone to interacting with people who are by definition liars to their core? That's alright, but then why rely on the shit spewed by albino monkey and Beamer? 🀭

Christ alive, how does it feel knowing that when the manifestation of ~cringe~ looks into the mirror, it's you that looks back?
I have a mother and a sister.
Why do y'all even bother.

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 31, 2021, 17:52
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 17:52
Jul 31, 2021, 17:52

Rilcon wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 17:44:
Why do threads about "Don't sexually assault people" always make some people devolve into "literally 1984 / dumb SJWs liberals want to take away our freedumbs"?

It's a rhetorical question, of course, I already know it's because they have the emotional intelligence of a monitor lizard and the ego of a sentient cheeto.

I'd wager some here know they're not the most respectful of women and are afraid that it may some day get called out

I have a loving wife, a daughter and a second daughter on the way. Prove that I am not respectful of woman. Come at me. I am giving you the floor. Come on. One quote. One fucking quote. Proof your case or be marked a lying troll for the rest of all future threads. Look me in the digital eye. Confront me. Convict me of the shit you tell me I should be convicted of. Right now. For all to see.

Not saying you are or you are not respectful towards women--However saying stuff like "I have a wife and daughter" doesn't really say anything either way. There are plenty of women that believe men should be the head of household and "traditional families" and all that just as there are a lot of women that do not believe that. All that really means is you found someone with compatible beliefs. Just like anyone can say "I have a black friend", or "I have a gay friend".

Ok let's get to the real truth. When someone has a black friend, they really can't be racist, can they? Or are you prone to interacting with people who are by definition liars to their core? That's alright, but then why rely on the shit spewed by albino monkey and Beamer? 🀭

Christ alive, how does it feel knowing that when the manifestation of ~cringe~ looks into the mirror, it's you that looks back?

If that's all you got, that's fine. Talk to me whenever you actively want to change someone's mind

Jul 31, 2021, 17:44
Rilcon

Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 17:44
Jul 31, 2021, 17:44
 Rilcon

Jul 31, 2021, 17:19
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 17:19
Jul 31, 2021, 17:19

Jul 31, 2021, 17:11
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 17:11
Jul 31, 2021, 17:11

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 31, 2021, 17:07
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 17:07
Jul 31, 2021, 17:07

Jul 31, 2021, 12:55
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 12:55
Jul 31, 2021, 12:55

Jul 31, 2021, 12:42
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 12:42
Jul 31, 2021, 12:42

Jivaro wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 10:55:
Greentiger wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 00:33:
I dont know anything about David Brevik...[snip]

Diablo (1996) – Lead Programmer, Senior Designer

Considered the father of Diablo. Not a good separation when he left Blizzard, then there was more drama after some press comments....then there was Jay Wilson and the "fuck that guy" thing...and well, drama drama drama.

Ok Im with you. I saw a few videos with him talking about programming Diablo 1.

Blizzard post WC3 has always come across to me a "Bro-sef" kind of culture and to a smaller degree even before then. It always comes across as a male dominated field with little defference or concern with women, much like how IT comes across. In our building there's 1 woman, and like 15 guys. Im sure the other offices are similar. Before DMV left, we had 2 women.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 31, 2021, 12:37
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 12:37
Jul 31, 2021, 12:37

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 30, 2021, 22:37:
β€œIt is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” – Abraham Lincoln

What's the real different if both are true?

Jul 31, 2021, 10:55
Jivaro

Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 10:55
Jul 31, 2021, 10:55
 Jivaro

Greentiger wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 00:33:
I dont know anything about David Brevik...[snip]

Diablo (1996) – Lead Programmer, Senior Designer

Considered the father of Diablo. Not a good separation when he left Blizzard, then there was more drama after some press comments....then there was Jay Wilson and the "fuck that guy" thing...and well, drama drama drama.

Jul 31, 2021, 07:00
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 07:00
Jul 31, 2021, 07:00

OpticNerve wrote on Jul 31, 2021, 04:46:

And probably because they have to now worry about their past (current?) actions and "freedoms" of being a disturbed, egotistical and sexist, asshole harasser is going to catch up with them. It's really not fucking hard to not be a creepy, sexist, douchebag around women and yet the usual lot around here will defend their "right" to continue doing so.

"Being held accountable for my shitty personality and actions at work?! THAT'S SUM WOKE SJW LIBERAL BULLSHIT"

For the record, I'm not defending them in any way. They are a bunch of misogynistic coward scumbags. Who here is defending them? Tell me who did and quote them. Oh, and don't confuse healthy skepticism with condoning any wrongdoing people claim has happened. There's a difference the size of the chineze wall between those two things, which some of you fail to see somehow.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2021, 07:14.

Jul 31, 2021, 05:01
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 05:01
Jul 31, 2021, 05:01

I'm with you it seems like side discussions hijacked this fairly straight forward topic. I'd say the summary would be most people think having empathy for victims is reasonable, however David said it in a pretty over the top pandering and perhaps even self serving manner.

Jul 31, 2021, 04:46
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 04:46
Jul 31, 2021, 04:46

And probably because they have to now worry about their past (current?) actions and "freedoms" of being a disturbed, egotistical and sexist, asshole harasser is going to catch up with them. It's really not fucking hard to not be a creepy, sexist, douchebag around women and yet the usual lot around here will defend their "right" to continue doing so.

"Being held accountable for my shitty personality and actions at work?! THAT'S SUM WOKE SJW LIBERAL BULLSHIT"

Jul 31, 2021, 04:24
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 04:24
Jul 31, 2021, 04:24

And the circle-jerk is in full session once again. No progress made. No arguments to change one's mind. I swear the last time I heard the shit-throwing monkeys give an actual counter-arguments to my points is forever ago. I get it though. It's easier to feel hatred; easier to put someone in the enemy category. I think I was about 22 years old once I realized the dumb temptation of the dark side and decided then to keep engaging with people with just enough respect to keep the conversation going no matter how much of a fucking scumbag I think they are. So when Beamer starts talking about respect, maybe it's time for the hypocrite to reflect on every fucking reply he's ever given me since as long as I can remember. That guy talking about respect. Tsk tsk. I can spread that irony over loafs of bread so thick it is.

Jul 31, 2021, 04:23
Rilcon

Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 04:23
Jul 31, 2021, 04:23
 Rilcon

Jul 31, 2021, 03:22
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 03:22
Jul 31, 2021, 03:22

Always so gratifying to read the compellingly clear and well thought out comments (Beamer and others).

As is annoying trying to unravel the Deranged Squad muddled ones.

Jul 31, 2021, 02:15
Re: David Brevik on Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 31, 2021, 02:15
Jul 31, 2021, 02:15

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 30, 2021, 19:34:
The last time CRT came up I wiped the floor with whoever mentioned it, it was embarrassing.
The whole CRT thing that the far right and Fox nut jobs have decided is the new made up boogeyman has absolutely nothing to do with what actually is going on.

Oh man... of course this comes up out of no where. Yeah since CRT is so grand that when noticed, they have to spend the majority of their effort declaring, "oh that crazy stuff is not real CRT". A seemingly never-ending use of word games when get called out for obvious awful and ironically straight up racist social concepts.
The original books, and the popular follow up contributors on the concept such as Robin DiAngelo and Ibram X. Kendi all have declarations any sane person should have issue with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rDu_VUpoJ8
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older