Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter

Jason Schreier reports that nearly 1,000 current and former Activision Blizzard staff have signed onto a letter to management decrying the company's response to the lawsuit over a culture of abuse "abhorrent and insulting." Here is the body of the letter from the story on Bloomberg:
To the Leaders of Activision Blizzard,

We, the undersigned, agree that the statements from Activision Blizzard, Inc. and their legal counsel regarding the DFEH lawsuit, as well as the subsequent internal statement from Frances Townsend, are abhorrent and insulting to all that we believe our company should stand for. To put it clearly and unequivocally, our values as employees are not accurately reflected in the words and actions of our leadership.

We believe these statements have damaged our ongoing quest for equality inside and outside of our industry. Categorizing the claims that have been made as “distorted, and in many cases false” creates a company atmosphere that disbelieves victims. It also casts doubt on our organizations’ ability to hold abusers accountable for their actions and foster a safe environment for victims to come forward in the future. These statements make it clear that our leadership is not putting our values first. Immediate corrections are needed from the highest level of our organization.
Our company executives have claimed that actions will be taken to protect us, but in the face of legal action -- and the troubling official responses that followed -- we no longer trust that our leaders will place employee safety above their own interests. To claim this is a “truly meritless and irresponsible lawsuit,” while seeing so many current and former employees speak out about their own experiences regarding harassment and abuse, is simply unacceptable.

We call for official statements that recognize the seriousness of these allegations and demonstrate compassion for victims of harassment and assault. We call on Frances Townsend to stand by her word to step down as Executive Sponsor of the ABK Employee Women’s Network as a result of the damaging nature of her statement. We call on the executive leadership team to work with us on new and meaningful efforts that ensure employees -- as well as our community -- have a safe place to speak out and come forward.

We stand with all our friends, teammates, and colleagues, as well as the members of our dedicated community, who have experienced mistreatment or harassment of any kind. We will not be silenced, we will not stand aside, and we will not give up until the company we love is a workplace we can all feel proud to be a part of again. We will be the change.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter
Jul 27, 2021, 14:30
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 14:30
Jul 27, 2021, 14:30

Kxmode wrote on Jul 27, 2021, 12:57:
Regarding employment choices, Star Citizen is considered a pariah, yet many accept Cloud Imperium Games offers. Why? Maybe they like the project's challenge, or the salary is attractive, or the location they'll work is ideal, who knows but whatever the case, people still work for companies many would consider unethical.
Maybe they don't know the controversy surrounding the company or maybe they don't care. They could even agree with the company line. It might also be the only company to return their calls/reply to their emails/invite them to a job interview.

Jul 27, 2021, 14:00
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 14:00
Jul 27, 2021, 14:00

Kxmode wrote on Jul 27, 2021, 12:58:
Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2021, 11:12:
Why do so many people stay in abusive relationships?
Because the pay is good.
I think you got what I was saying (because that's a pretty succinct, snappy response that cuts right to the point), but just in case others didn't, yes, for many abusive relationships (spousal of family), and for these people, financial obligations/needs can outweigh quite a bit.

Jul 27, 2021, 12:58
Kxmode

Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 12:58
Jul 27, 2021, 12:58
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2021, 11:12:
Because the pay is good.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jul 27, 2021, 12:57
Kxmode

Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 12:57
Jul 27, 2021, 12:57
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2021, 09:18:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 27, 2021, 00:14:
I wonder if these thousand realize they're doing this against a company who fired 800 people after posting a profitable 2019. A company like Activision Blizzard has no problems firing 1,000 employees. They know they can find 1,000 replacements. For all the company's faults, Blizzard knows having them on your resume still holds a lot of value.

Firing 1000 people who brought up an identical complaint about you will be seen by Wall Street as an admission of guilt and utterly tank their stock price. And while Blizzard is largely big enough to survive it from a hiring perspective, doing something so blatantly anti-worker will hurt them on top employees. If you had 3 equal offers from 3 equally large and prestigious companies, would you take the one that just fired a thousand employees for a complaint such as this? Maybe, but it'd be your third choice.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your points. I am merely playing devil's advocate for Activision Blizzard based on how they treat their employees during good years. They fired 800 people after posting a profitable 2019. That's beyond unethical; it is immoral. Without a doubt, they are capable of doing anything, even firing these 1,000.

Regarding employment choices, Star Citizen is considered a pariah, yet many accept Cloud Imperium Games offers. Why? Maybe they like the project's challenge, or the salary is attractive, or the location they'll work is ideal, who knows but whatever the case, people still work for companies many would consider unethical.

Let us hope Activision Blizzard doesn't go the path of firing them.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jul 27, 2021, 12:47
Kxmode

Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 12:47
Jul 27, 2021, 12:47
 Kxmode

headshot wrote on Jul 27, 2021, 06:40:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 22:22:
Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 22:20:
I've got this little song stuck in my head from my granddaughters kiddy songs, The Wheels on the bus are falling off, falling off, falling off! LOL!!!
I think the lyrics go "the wheels on the bus go round and round." I think you might be thinking of "ring around the rosies, a pocket full of posies, ashes ashes we all fall down."

.. followed by massive guitar walls, a falling black curtain and an enormously slapping 'Rats'!

That's pretty metal.

Jul 27, 2021, 11:12
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 11:12
Jul 27, 2021, 11:12

Jul 27, 2021, 11:04
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 11:04
Jul 27, 2021, 11:04

Y'all act like this is something happened overnight or just in the last year. These people are claiming DECADES of mistreatment. If you're dumb enough to work at a place you hate for a decade...
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jul 27, 2021, 10:06
Verno

Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 10:06
Jul 27, 2021, 10:06
 Verno

It's not a reasonable suggestion anyway. People have mortgages, careers, families and roots in their community. It's not an adult response to just throw your hands up and quit every time something happens you dislike. That's how you get blackballed in your industry, upset your family and cause yourself a lot of problems.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jul 27, 2021, 10:02
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 10:02
Jul 27, 2021, 10:02

JTW wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 23:26:
Some people have a funny idea of how real life works. You can't always just quit a job, especially in an industry that is notoriously difficult to get into. You can't always just pack up your spouse and kids and move to where a new job is. You can't always just stop paying your bills, your mortgage, your rent, your car payments. Sometimes, especially if you're starting out in a new career in a tough industry you don't have the choice to quit.

It's called 'responsibilities' and is part of being all growed up.

I don't know why that isn't obvious to some of you. Perhaps too much time in your parents' basement?

Honestly, I was thinking this myself. Crap, I work for a nice job though it is crazy stressful that at times I think of changing. Problem with that is everything you said above. Sure, you can start searching and putting your resume out there, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Meaning in that, the salary, benefits, etc. Everything that effects your outside of work life. You can't just simply pack up and move on.

It's easy to say on the outside looking in what you "think" you can do but the reality is a lot more difficult for many people. What's it called? Oh yes, a safety net, when you don't really have much fear in quitting/losing your job because you have the safety to fall back on to whether it is, your crazy rich or you have possibly parents/friends who will dig you out of your mess. Not all of us have that.

Jul 27, 2021, 09:39
Verno

Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 09:39
Jul 27, 2021, 09:39
 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 21:20:
Well aren't they a principled bunch? Gee, you'd think most of them would have quit long ago being so principled and all. Actiblizz has only had 30 years to fix all those problems and in spite of it they're all stuck around. Yes, they're all drowning in principles alright.

You're not exactly known for being principled yourself. Sure, people will just quite en masse in the middle of a pandemic and disrupt their lives instead of you know, trying to get their company to listen to them and change.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jul 27, 2021, 09:18
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 09:18
Jul 27, 2021, 09:18

I wonder if these thousand realize they're doing this against a company who fired 800 people after posting a profitable 2019. A company like Activision Blizzard has no problems firing 1,000 employees. They know they can find 1,000 replacements. For all the company's faults, Blizzard knows having them on your resume still holds a lot of value.

Firing 1000 people who brought up an identical complaint about you will be seen by Wall Street as an admission of guilt and utterly tank their stock price. And while Blizzard is largely big enough to survive it from a hiring perspective, doing something so blatantly anti-worker will hurt them on top employees. If you had 3 equal offers from 3 equally large and prestigious companies, would you take the one that just fired a thousand employees for a complaint such as this? Maybe, but it'd be your third choice.

Jul 27, 2021, 06:42
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 06:42
Jul 27, 2021, 06:42

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 22:10:
I wish they'd just issue an HONEST letter.

Dear Employees,

STFU and go back to work. All the noise you were making, you think you'd have all quit your jobs in protest at all the horrible transgressions you've witnessed. Instead you're still here, drawing a salary. Clearly you didn't think it was all that bad until you saw a chance for financial gain. If you'd like to keep drawing that salary, get back to work! Otherwise, there's the door and you'll be replaced before it hits you in the ass.

but who said they do it for financial gain? they want a safe workspace and somehow i thought we all wanted that. guess we happen to be boys after all which seldom experience an unsafe workspace.

Jul 27, 2021, 06:40
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 06:40
Jul 27, 2021, 06:40

I've got this little song stuck in my head from my granddaughters kiddy songs, The Wheels on the bus are falling off, falling off, falling off! LOL!!!
I think the lyrics go "the wheels on the bus go round and round." I think you might be thinking of "ring around the rosies, a pocket full of posies, ashes ashes we all fall down."

.. followed by massive guitar walls, a falling black curtain and an enourmously slapping 'Rats'!

Jul 27, 2021, 02:23
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 02:23
Jul 27, 2021, 02:23

So were they in house? Were they brought on to finish yet another yearly game? Was it people working on a game that will never see the light of day? The 800 people were 8% of their TOTAL WORK FORCE.

Jul 27, 2021, 01:48
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 01:48
Jul 27, 2021, 01:48

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 21:20:
Well aren't they a principled bunch? Gee, you'd think most of them would have quit long ago being so principled and all. Actiblizz has only had 30 years to fix all those problems and in spite of it they're all stuck around. Yes, they're all drowning in principles alright.

Considering the last year (and still experienced) they have gone through, better to stay at a company and have job security then possibly have to move cross country for another job in a field that was mostly not in offices.

Jul 27, 2021, 00:22
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 00:22
Jul 27, 2021, 00:22

Oh, no. I know its goes like that, but his is about Blizz and the wheels coming off their bus. I changed it up a bit.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Jul 27, 2021, 00:14
Kxmode

Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 27, 2021, 00:14
Jul 27, 2021, 00:14
 Kxmode

Jul 26, 2021, 23:39
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 26, 2021, 23:39
Jul 26, 2021, 23:39

JTW wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 23:26:
Some people have a funny idea of how real life works. You can't always just quit a job, especially in an industry that is notoriously difficult to get into. You can't always just pack up your spouse and kids and move to where a new job is. You can't always just stop paying your bills, your mortgage, your rent, your car payments. Sometimes, especially if you're starting out in a new career in a tough industry you don't have the choice to quit.

I don't know why that isn't obvious to some of you. Perhaps too much time in your parents' basement?
He uses that spiel every time a female claims harassment.
It's always, "why didn't she quit and get another job".
Pure psychotic behavior but at least he's our psychopath. /S
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 26, 2021, 23:31
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 26, 2021, 23:31
Jul 26, 2021, 23:31

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 21:51:
I expect front-man and professional career ladder brown-noser, J. Allen Brack to come out with another flimsy, tone-deaf, "we hear you" speech (printed or video) painstakingly crafted by the lawyers to convey mindless platitudes about the state of the industry, building bridges, and how "I love being a part of this amazing community" in the tone of "I'd rather be playing golf with Bobby Kotick right now instead of dealing with this nonsense."

Sorry about that really long sentence.
Long, but not wrong.
With great freedom comes great responsibility.

Jul 26, 2021, 23:26
JTW
Re: Activision Blizzard Staff Sign Lawsuit Letter Jul 26, 2021, 23:26
Jul 26, 2021, 23:26
JTW

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older