Death Stranding Sells 5M

An interview with Jay Boor on GamesIndustry.biz talks with the head of publishing at Kojima Productions about Death Stranding. Jay discusses plans for the upcoming Director's Cut of the walking simulator. He also reveals Death Stranding has now sold over five million copies across PC and PlayStation 4:
"With Death Stranding being the first title developed out of Kojima Productions, from a sales perspective, it has performed quite well," he says. "As of March 2021, Death Stranding has sold through over five million units worldwide on PlayStation 4 and PC."
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M
Jul 27, 2021, 10:39
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 27, 2021, 10:39
Jul 27, 2021, 10:39

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 22:10:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 21:20:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 17:55:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 17:49:
Wait, I'm still confused after you guys answered Bill's question. This is an 'online only' walking simulator and can't be played single player offline?
Death Stranding can be played offline.
You can play the full game without connecting to the internet, meaning it doesn't require a constant online connection, but all player-posted signposts that would normally populate the in-game world will be gone.
Gtk, tyvm to all who explained..

In response to it being harder....couldn't someone just get a map on the internet?
That's really the same thing right, except they 'don't disappear?

Sure, you can use a map from a website or the one in-game. That's not what makes it more challenging. Nicely placed ladders and ropes that help you climb a steep mountain, bridges to cross a deep crevasse and impassible rivers, roads that cover vast distances that would otherwise be difficult on foot, and so forth. Such player-assisted amenities are absent if you play offline.

I don't know if offline means objects decay and disappear for your instance. I don't imagine they would.
No wonder y'all speak highly of it, that sounds really cool ! Highfive
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Jul 26, 2021, 22:10
Kxmode

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 22:10
Jul 26, 2021, 22:10
 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 21:20:
Wait, I'm still confused after you guys answered Bill's question. This is an 'online only' walking simulator and can't be played single player offline?
You can play the full game without connecting to the internet, meaning it doesn't require a constant online connection, but all player-posted signposts that would normally populate the in-game world will be gone.

In response to it being harder....couldn't someone just get a map on the internet?

Sure, you can use a map from a website or the one in-game. That's not what makes it more challenging. Nicely placed ladders and ropes that help you climb a steep mountain, bridges to cross a deep crevasse and impassible rivers, roads that cover vast distances that would otherwise be difficult on foot, and so forth. Such player-assisted amenities are absent if you play offline.

I don't know if offline means objects decay and disappear for your instance. I don't imagine they would.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jul 26, 2021, 21:20
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 21:20
Jul 26, 2021, 21:20

Jul 26, 2021, 19:29
Kxmode

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 19:29
Jul 26, 2021, 19:29
 Kxmode

Slick wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 19:08:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 17:16:
I liked the story. A bit of Sci-Fi mixed with The Twilight Zone.

Best REAL sci-fi game I've played in a long long time, maybe ever. No shit.

Most people define sci-fi as just future space marines lol. The genre has so much depth, and this game truly felt like it was examining it. I don't want Kojima to revisit dumb Silent Hills or anything like that. I loved this original sci-fi so much...

Director's cut can't come soon enough, I'm due for a replay. This thread's is giving me all sorts of goosebumps.

For me, it is "science fiction" because of the science and technology, like the Chiral network (Internet 3.0?) and Auto Pavers (kind of like 3D printed roads or food replicators from Star Trek that convert energy into matter). The Twilight Zone describes the "unique weirdness" of the story that was the hallmark of many episodes of The Twilight Zone. 🙂
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jul 26, 2021, 19:23
Kxmode

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 19:23
Jul 26, 2021, 19:23
 Kxmode

Slick wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 19:00:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 13:22:
My favorite gameplay aspect was building things that I knew would benefit others. I focused a great deal of my time and resources on building roads.

Breh. 286,000 likes on completion. Like 90% of them from roads. I basically single-handedly built the entire road in my instance. Loved every second of it.

I loved building the roads in areas with mountains and cliffs. I would encounter a new section and then figure out the logistics of getting supplies to the Auto Pavers. Some of them were super challenging, especially the couple leading to Mountain Knot City and the winding road hovering above the canyon west of Mama's Lab.

Jul 26, 2021, 19:08
Slick

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 19:08
Jul 26, 2021, 19:08
 Slick

Best REAL sci-fi game I've played in a long long time, maybe ever. No shit.

Most people define sci-fi as just future space marines lol. The genre has so much depth, and this game truly felt like it was examining it. I don't want Kojima to revisit dumb Silent Hills or anything like that. I loved this original sci-fi so much...

Director's cut can't come soon enough, I'm due for a replay. This thread's is giving me all sorts of goosebumps.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jul 26, 2021, 19:07
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 19:07
Jul 26, 2021, 19:07

I put a little time into it, not bad, just a time thing. Son loved the overall game.

Jul 26, 2021, 19:04
Slick

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 19:04
Jul 26, 2021, 19:04
 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:33:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:23:
I'm not sure how this game works. Are you saying if I buy it today everything will be done?

No. Everything decays over time until it disappears or picked up by the person who place it.

When I finished playing, I left everything I placed. All of that is long gone. Newer players are placing things in the environment today. If the game doesn't have too many players now, then there won't be too many objects.

Don't forget you have to unlock the chiral network in the area to see anyone else's buildings, it's not like you spawn into a world full of stuff, it's empty at first.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jul 26, 2021, 19:02
Slick

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 19:02
Jul 26, 2021, 19:02
 Slick

Quinn wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:18:
My favorite gameplay aspect was building things that I knew would benefit others. I focused a great deal of my time and resources on building roads.

Very christian of you 🤪 Did you also build an endless amount of those towers you could beam to, flying through the air? That's all I did. I had everything connected with these things. At some point all I was doing is flying through the air with zero effort or danger. I kinda ruined it for myself this way but I was too proud to care

The ski lofts LOL, Once I unlocked them I was like FUUUUUUUU I just spent 80 hours building roads LOL.

Lots of fun setting them up though, and I KNEW they'd come in handy for the last part of the game, that last trek I did In like 15 minutes

Jul 26, 2021, 19:00
Slick

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 19:00
Jul 26, 2021, 19:00
 Slick

Breh. 286,000 likes on completion. Like 90% of them from roads. I basically single-handedly built the entire road in my instance. Loved every second of it.

Also i don't know if others got to this yet tho, but the game has a real ending, like a proper satisfying ending. Solid beginning, decent middle, but proper ending.

Compared to the lopped-off tail end of MGSV cause Konami just wanted to shove it out the door already... this was a very welcome change.

Jul 26, 2021, 18:52
Kxmode

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 18:52
Jul 26, 2021, 18:52
 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:59:
I'm not sure how this game works. Are you saying if I buy it today everything will be done?

No. Everything decays over time until it disappears or picked up by the person who place it.

When I finished playing, I left everything I placed. All of that is long gone. Newer players are placing things in the environment today. If the game doesn't have too many players now, then there won't be too many objects.

On top of the entropy, there are also different servers (strands), so you don't have millions of people's crap all over, rusting into dust in your game.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit, and made it a point to build the entire roadway, until I got discouraged by certain story events that made that VERY time consuming.

It's a great game though, really something every gamer should experience, in my opinion. So many cool aspects to it, amazing visuals and sound, every aspect of the game is amazingly well done. If you ignore the utter madness of the story, of course.

It's "online-ish" meaning objects you place in the environment eventually synchronize with the server you're playing on, and automatically appear for others on that server. Synchronization does not happen in real-time.

You can play offline, but it is harder. There is NO assistance from any others. Most people opt to play online for the conveniences others provide.

Jul 26, 2021, 18:00
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 18:00
Jul 26, 2021, 18:00

It's also MUCH harder then

Jul 26, 2021, 17:55
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 17:55
Jul 26, 2021, 17:55

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 26, 2021, 17:49
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 17:49
Jul 26, 2021, 17:49

On top of the entropy, there are also different servers (strands), so you don't have millions of people's crap all over, rusting into dust in your game.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit, and made it a point to build the entire roadway, until I got discouraged by certain story events that made that VERY time consuming.

It's a great game though, really something every gamer should experience, in my opinion. So many cool aspects to it, amazing visuals and sound, every aspect of the game is amazingly well done. If you ignore the utter madness of the story, of course.

I originally passed on this since I've never gotten into playing walking sims.

To the other points about SoE, it isn't the fact they 'can' exist while doing exclusives only. It's the fact they are a corp and are losing all that PC profit.
To a corp, a minimum of +20% profit for basically doing nothing, is not only 'not insignificant' it's 'balls to the wall, hell yes!'
(that's a corp term, sorry if any children are present )

Jul 26, 2021, 17:16
Kxmode

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 17:16
Jul 26, 2021, 17:16
 Kxmode

Jul 26, 2021, 16:59
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 16:59
Jul 26, 2021, 16:59

Jul 26, 2021, 16:33
Kxmode

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 16:33
Jul 26, 2021, 16:33
 Kxmode

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2021, 16:48.

Jul 26, 2021, 16:29
Jim
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 16:29
Jim

Faikius wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:03:
Played three previous Playstation exclusives back-to-back on PC; all were excellent. Horizon Zerto Dawn, Days Gone, and now Death Stranding.

Death Standing was only "briefly" a PS exclusive. I believe it was always known that it would come to PC. The other two games though I agree, I was glad to get them and play them, as I will if last of us/god of war/demon souls...

For Death Standing, a fantastic game. I remember when the first previews came out, showing the guy waking. People thought they were being trolled. Very creative. Very good story also.

Kxmode

Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 16:29
 Kxmode

Quinn wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:18:

Very christian of you 🤪 Did you also build an endless amount of those towers you could beam to, flying through the air? That's all I did. I had everything connected with these things. At some point all I was doing is flying through the air with zero effort or danger. I kinda ruined it for myself this way but I was too proud to care

Yes, I did. Especially in the mountains. I was happy to set up zip-line towers in challenging to reach places.

I also yelled "yippee" as I rode one zip line that lasted for nearly 10 minutes! Roller coaster ride. 🥴

Jul 26, 2021, 16:23
Re: Death Stranding Sells 5M Jul 26, 2021, 16:23
Jul 26, 2021, 16:23

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older