Out of the Blue

So in addition to having an eight year-old PC that's overdue for an upgrade, due to my recent accident, I am also celebrating the global computer chip shortage by looking into buying a car. Sometimes you win and the timing of your needs syncs up properly with current events. And then there are times like these. Ouch.

Obituary: 1960s civil rights activist Robert Moses has died.
Obituary: R.I.P. Dieter Brummer.

Well-Timed Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

PC upgrades...
Aug 2, 2021, 01:20
Ant

PC upgrades... Aug 2, 2021, 01:20
Aug 2, 2021, 01:20
 Ant

I finally upgraded my over decade old 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 PC during Memorial Day weekend for a new job (only lasted eight days though). However, my cleaned decade old motherboard died so I had to keep my 12 years old PC for older stuff. Argh.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 27, 2021, 09:53
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2021, 09:53
Jul 27, 2021, 09:53

Both my systems were 6 years old when I upgraded this year (they were Intel 6th gen).

I got lucky in that I already grabbed an RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra at MSRP last November as I got on EVGA's queue early. But the old Intel 6700 was holding it back A LOT. I doubled my framerates in most games when I upgraded to an AMD 5800x system in March (roughly $1400 in parts not counting the GPU, which I already had). I suspect that's a combination of a much faster modern PCI-E Gen4 bus, faster RAM, and some help from ReBar, but I was still surprised it made THAT much of a difference as we've been told for years that the GPU does most of the work in games.

I just built a new workstation around an AMD 5950x last month, and prices were up slightly from March, but not terribly (same mobo, RAM, and most other parts, except for the much more expensive processor, and everything was a few extra dollars. I like having the same hardware in both systems). The 5950x was $50 over MSRP, though, but it was worth it (in retrospect I should have bought one back in March at a better price, but I hadn't committed to upgrading the workstation yet at that time - I thought at the time that I would milk it another year, but then I got the itch.

Wouldn't mind snagging an RTX 3060 for the workstation later this year if prices come down (I only use it for video transcoding on that PC), but the old GTX 1080 still gets the the job done for now.

So I'm set for another 6 or 7 years. Maybe longer. By then we'll have CPUs implanted in our heads.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2021, 10:12.
- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Jul 27, 2021, 00:52
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2021, 00:52
Jul 27, 2021, 00:52

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 23:16:
In other words you spent more time gaming/using your new box and less time sweating.
Exactly. The time I save by letting them do the work was more than worth it. Nice courtesy installs of Libre Office and some other common software is the cherry on top. Pretty much fire it up, login into Steam, start loading the games... (okay, okay... I did waste sometime making it pretty for me -- hurray for Open-shell -- but it only took a couple of hours).
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 26, 2021, 23:16
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 23:16
Jul 26, 2021, 23:16

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 18:24:
1badmf wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 18:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 17:09:
My PC was eight years old, when I replaced it last May.
did you manage to snag a good video card before the price spiked?
It was before the price spike, but I purchased from what I'm sure some would call a "premium" vendor (Puget Systems). So, I paid more than I probably had to. But I decided I was willing to do that for a PC put together from the exact parts I wanted by someone living in the US and from a company who would answer the phone if I needed to call them. As it turned out that was a good decision. The PC they sent me died after ten days of use. Replacement took a week due to a parts shortage, but the replacement is working fine a year later. Turns out the failure on the first was the CPU just up and died for no identifiable reason. They took it out, put in a new one and it booted right up. (They had already gotten the new one to me by the time the trouble-shooting was completed).

For the record:
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz Twelve Core 105W
Ram: Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 (2x16GB)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB Open Air
Hard Drive: Samsung 983 DCT 2TB M.2 SSD
Optical: Asus 16x Blu-ray Burner
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2
$4k build?
But you didn't have to spec the parts and make sure they were compatible with one another.
Wait for all the parts to come in and then assemble it.
Install the OS, update everything etc etc.
The time it takes to do the above at a standard layman's wage of 50 bucks an hour is more than worth it to pay someone else for the pleasure.

And when something broke you didn't have to troubleshoot it and the hassle of dealing with individual manufacturers and stores.

I've troubleshot failed motherboards and failed CPUs and it is a freaking pain in the ass, especially if you don't have a spare CPU or motherboard to test the components.

In other words you spent more time gaming/using your new box and less time sweating.

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 26, 2021, 23:07
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 23:07
Jul 26, 2021, 23:07

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 18:24:
It was before the price spike, but I purchased from what I'm sure some would call a "premium" vendor (Puget Systems). So, I paid more than I probably had to. But I decided I was willing to do that for a PC put together from the exact parts I wanted by someone living in the US and from a company who would answer the phone if I needed to call them. As it turned out that was a good decision. The PC they sent me died after ten days of use. Replacement took a week due to a parts shortage, but the replacement is working fine a year later. Turns out the failure on the first was the CPU just up and died for no identifiable reason. They took it out, put in a new one and it booted right up. (They had already gotten the new one to me by the time the trouble-shooting was completed).

For the record:

when i built my last system 4 years ago, i thought i'd splurge by spending $700 on a radeon vega 64 liquid. i thought, eh, waste of money, but will be nice just hitting ultra settings for awhile and go. boy do i super not hate that spend now. i can still play cyberpunk on max settings and 40ish fps. good enough for single player. hopefully i can ride out this insanity until prices go back to normal.

Jul 26, 2021, 21:30
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 21:30
Jul 26, 2021, 21:30

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 19:26:
... SNIP ...
Must be some particular item you're buying or where you're buying it from, my prices for everyday groceries haven't changed (happen to have a receipt from February I'm looking at) and I'm down here in the heart of drought country.

I don't know if others have noticed or not, but products haven't really increased in price very much, but the quantities that are shipping in products across the board have diminished ever so slightly.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 26, 2021, 21:17
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 21:17
Jul 26, 2021, 21:17

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 17:29:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 12:39:
"And then there are times like these. Ouch."

I hear ya. Without thinking, I decided it was time to remodel my kitchen (which is fairly small in an old house). When I saw the GC's quote, I fell off my chair and almost had a heart attack. Well, there goes that project. I refuse to pay that kind of money out of desperation, because that's only going to prolong the high demand

Inflation is getting worse by the day, not to mention the short supply of... everything. I'm just happy I can still buy wine at a decent price 😂

Doesn't seem like a lot of people are paying attention to food prices either which are rising astronomically fast and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future with all the droughts and such going on. Like I mentioned a few days ago I paid 50% more for the same foodstuffs I did 3 months ago. As a wiser man than myself once said..."Some shit goin' down somewhere."

Must be some particular item you're buying or where you're buying it from, my prices for everyday groceries haven't changed (happen to have a receipt from February I'm looking at) and I'm down here in the heart of drought country.

More like your food likely doesn't have to travel as far as mine does. Shipping costs have increased 25%-50% over the last year alone.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Jul 26, 2021, 21:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 21:14
Jul 26, 2021, 21:14

I hear ya. Without thinking, I decided it was time to remodel my kitchen (which is fairly small in an old house). When I saw the GC's quote, I fell off my chair and almost had a heart attack. Well, there goes that project. I refuse to pay that kind of money out of desperation, because that's only going to prolong the high demand

Inflation is getting worse by the day, not to mention the short supply of... everything. I'm just happy I can still buy wine at a decent price 😂

Doesn't seem like a lot of people are paying attention to food prices either which are rising astronomically fast and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future with all the droughts and such going on. Like I mentioned a few days ago I paid 50% more for the same foodstuffs I did 3 months ago. As a wiser man than myself once said..."Some shit goin' down somewhere."

Cutter, hyperbolic? That doesn't sound right.
With great freedom comes great responsibility.

Jul 26, 2021, 19:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 19:26
Jul 26, 2021, 19:26

Jul 26, 2021, 19:19
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 19:19
Jul 26, 2021, 19:19

Mine's about 6 years or so old.
It still suits my purpose just fine but my daughter has been hinting at wanting a better PC.
Asked her without thinking if she wanted mine and I would buy myself a new system.
Then realized, oh yeah, pandemic, supply chain problems.
Might wait a few months to see how the market shakes out.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 26, 2021, 18:41
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 18:41
Jul 26, 2021, 18:41
 El Pit

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 18:20:
El Pit wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:55:
Can Steam OS with Proton and Vulkan run GOG/UbiConnect/Origin/Epic/ActiBlizz games? I am talking about games not having been bought on Steam but on those other shops. Or does the customer have to install Win10/11 and the games apps of each shop to run those games with DirectX? If Steam allows games not being bought on Steam to run with Steam OS, this could actually make me consider buying a Steam Deck.

Theoretically, yes, but you won't be using Steam, itself, to do it. You'd need to install Lutris and use it with Proton to run your non-Steam games.

Thanks, Burrito.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jul 26, 2021, 18:24
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 18:24
Jul 26, 2021, 18:24

For the record:

Jul 26, 2021, 18:20
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 18:20
Jul 26, 2021, 18:20

El Pit wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:55:
Can Steam OS with Proton and Vulkan run GOG/UbiConnect/Origin/Epic/ActiBlizz games? I am talking about games not having been bought on Steam but on those other shops. Or does the customer have to install Win10/11 and the games apps of each shop to run those games with DirectX? If Steam allows games not being bought on Steam to run with Steam OS, this could actually make me consider buying a Steam Deck.

Theoretically, yes, but you won't be using Steam, itself, to do it. You'd need to install Lutris and use it with Proton to run your non-Steam games.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Jul 26, 2021, 18:16
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 18:16
Jul 26, 2021, 18:16

blue if you don't tell us what kinda car you're in the market for we can't inundate you with unwelcome advice!

Jul 26, 2021, 18:15
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 18:15
Jul 26, 2021, 18:15

Jul 26, 2021, 17:47
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 17:47
Jul 26, 2021, 17:47

Beamer wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 13:59:
6 year old PC here, haha.

Anyway, I just picked up a new car this weekend. We just bought a house, and need something that has some space to haul the crap from our bi-daily Home Depot runs, but wanted to go cheap since we know everything is inflated, and have this first car be a knockaround of sorts.

Used was off the table, because they're basically the same price as new right now.

We began looking at the Kia Seltos. Nice car, perfectly fine for what we need. There are very, very few in the trim we liked. The opening number from the dealership was $606 per month. For a lease. Of a $25k car. On perfect credit. We walked out.

Honda did the same. $33k car, began at $595 per month. As we walked out, they yelled $375 at us. They magically lost $220 as we stood up? That's not good faith negotiating. They were up front that they wouldn't sell for even MSRP, anyway.

Given that these are BMW numbers, we just went to BMW. Markups less extreme, but still stupid.

In the long run, we used a broker. It was better than negotiating for hours with people that had far more information than we did. Ended up getting a car for about 4% below MSRP. Felt like a victory.
Costco advertises new cars at low prices. Has anyone used them?

Jul 26, 2021, 17:45
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 17:45
Jul 26, 2021, 17:45

Xero wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 13:46:
Yeah, my PC is going on 6... years now?? Something like that. Luckily I still only game at 1080p so my 1070ti is holding up decent with the old i7. Though yeah... looking forward to rebuilding at some point but these prices are scary.
Yeah, I think mine is nearly 10 years old at this point. That old Intel hardware was the bomb. Still runs what I need to fine at 3440x1440 thanks to the newish 1080ti, but it can't last forever. Would like to upgrade to some new AMD hardware at some point, but not at these prices.

Jul 26, 2021, 17:29
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 17:29
Jul 26, 2021, 17:29

"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Jul 26, 2021, 17:09
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 17:09
Jul 26, 2021, 17:09

Jul 26, 2021, 16:55
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2021, 16:55
Jul 26, 2021, 16:55
 El Pit

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older