Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit

A post on TwitLonger by Mike Morhaime has a response from the former long-time CEO of Activision Blizzard to the recently announced lawsuit over a culture of sexual harassment at the company (thanks VGC). Mike says he believes the accusers and apologizes for letting them down:
I have read the full complaint against Activision Blizzard and many of the other stories. It is all very disturbing and difficult to read. I am ashamed. It feels like everything I thought I stood for has been washed away. What’s worse but even more important, real people have been harmed, and some women had terrible experiences.

I was at Blizzard for 28 years. During that time, I tried very hard to create an environment that was safe and welcoming for people of all genders and backgrounds. I knew that it was not perfect, but clearly we were far from that goal. The fact that so many women were mistreated and were not supported means we let them down. In addition, we did not succeed in making it feel safe for people to tell their truth. It is no consolation that other companies have faced similar challenges. I wanted us to be different, better.

Harassment and discrimination exist. They are prevalent in our industry. It is the responsibility of leadership to keep all employees feeling safe, supported, and treated equitably, regardless of gender and background. It is the responsibility of leadership to stamp out toxicity and harassment in any form, across all levels of the company. To the Blizzard women who experienced any of these things, I am extremely sorry that I failed you.

I realize that these are just words, but I wanted to acknowledge the women who had awful experiences. I hear you, I believe you, and I am so sorry to have let you down. I want to hear your stories, if you are willing to share them. As a leader in our industry, I can and will use my influence to help drive positive change and to combat misogyny, discrimination, and harassment wherever I can. I believe we can do better, and I believe the gaming industry can be a place where women and minorities are welcomed, included, supported, recognized, rewarded, and ultimately unimpeded from the opportunity to make the types of contributions that all of us join this industry to make. I want the mark I leave on this industry to be something that we can all be proud of.
View : : :
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit
Jul 28, 2021, 04:11
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 28, 2021, 04:11
Jul 28, 2021, 04:11

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2021, 01:06:
In 20 years of being here, I can't remember Blue locking a single thread. Of course I might have missed something...
It is extremely rare. I know it happened at least once. I would guess it happened a couple of times.

Edit: Here is the one I was thinking of. The OotB from the next day talks about it briefly it was the first time then.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2021, 04:29.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 28, 2021, 01:06
Prez

Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 28, 2021, 01:06
Jul 28, 2021, 01:06
 Prez

Greentiger wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:13:
Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 11:44:
You know Blues, there comes a time when a thread should get locked, because this one has gone off the rails completely.

It has been quite thoroughly derailed, that's true.

In 20 years of being here, I can't remember Blue locking a single thread. Of course I might have missed something...
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 27, 2021, 04:21
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 27, 2021, 04:21
Jul 27, 2021, 04:21

Beamer wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 20:30:
roguebanshee wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 17:01:
Greentiger wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:14:
You are certainly not "center" if you think that.
Everyone thinks they're a centrist and plenty also think that everyone who doesn't share their opinion is an extremist.

I disagree. I think most people think they're reasonable, but even being moderately self aware you know where you are relative to others.

If you think healthcare should be free, you used to be far left but you're moving more just left.

If you think Trump had the election stolen, you're far right.

I think healthcare should be free.
I think Trump is a dangerous clown.
I think equality of opportunity is the most important thing in a fair society.
I think people should be free to identify however they want.
I think assault rifles should get banned and gun regulations should greatly improve (especially in the urban areas).
I think there was no fraud in the election results.
I think the assault on the Capitol was a terrible thing.
I think the riots were a terrible thing.
How am I doing so far? Pretty fuckin' left, aren't I?
I think BLM is a dangerous moveme---
BAM! And I'm a far-right idiot from Trumpistan. That's how you people think.

Greentiger wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 19:00:
Quinn wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 18:27:
Aw, got hung up on that did you? CNN exclusively favors the left narrative. That me shoving them in there with "other far left news organizations" is such a tripwire to you to fall over immediately tells me you're not trying to engage with me in good faith. But apparently it all got blurry after reading my first sentence. That's fine. Just don't pretend like I'm so ridiculously far off the mark. Same goes to you, Quboid.

LOL. No it didn't "trip me up"--you give yourself far too much credit. It just tickles me that you believe CNN is "far left". Either you aren't familiar with "far left" movements, or your powers of conflation are astounding. Are you familiar with the term "projection"? As far as your "thought experiment" I love how you believe you're the only one that would think about it had the situation been reversed--consider the BLM protests DC experienced. Anyway, keep believing your own press!

Forbes
AP

My thought experiment? How I think only I can come up with it? I didn't propose the thought experiment. Someone else in this thread did. Again, that's the problem with the lot of you. You all seem to fall into some sort of... what is it? A blind rage? Beamer thinks I'm from Denmark, used some woman as a martyr (wtf was that?), and that I listen to Jordan Peterson (I think JP is a moron). But again, that's the problem: You want to lob everyone in the same corner. It's an American thing moreso than a human thing, I'm beginning to believe. Oh, and to get it over with: my deep, deep apologies that I had you believe that I said CNN is a communist organization. No, that's not what I was meaning to say. I hope that removes at least a bit of the haze from your vision.

All this being said, what Blues should do is just ban a certain group of people. Like Redeye, Beamer, Cutter (no offense), and definitely myself for not having the willpower to ignore the drivel. It would immediately calm things down in this community so you lot can all talk about games and harrasment again.

Jul 26, 2021, 20:30
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 20:30
Jul 26, 2021, 20:30

roguebanshee wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 17:01:
Everyone thinks they're a centrist and plenty also think that everyone who doesn't share their opinion is an extremist.

I disagree. I think most people think they're reasonable, but even being moderately self aware you know where you are relative to others.

If you think healthcare should be free, you used to be far left but you're moving more just left.

If you think Trump had the election stolen, you're far right.

removed
Jul 26, 2021, 19:58
removed Jul 26, 2021, 19:58
Jul 26, 2021, 19:58

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Jul 27, 2021, 15:42. Reason: Let's not dehumanize people with pronouns for inanimate objs
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 26, 2021, 19:35
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 19:35
Jul 26, 2021, 19:35

Why did this thread get political? People passed around a nude photo of a coworker who later killed herself. No consequence. Workers had their work rejected unless they gave it to a man to pitch. No consequences. Women were not given the normal raises and promotions their coworker partners were. This isn't about thin-skinned political correctness, it's about people being awful and those in charge, who are responsible for their company culture, not giving a damn until it is too late.

It doesn't even matter that the people who were harmed were women, except that it is so prevalent for women or minorities to be the targets of this abuse.

It's not because men are more likely to be pigs. It's because men in powerful positions are less likely to call out their friends. It's because this behavior has been entrenched for too long and become a part of the industry, rewarded and enabled by money. It's going to take a lot more than some very flimsy apologies to rectify.

Jul 26, 2021, 19:05
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 19:05
Jul 26, 2021, 19:05

Wait I want to edit my comments, fuck this, fuck blizzards issue, let justice be found. Back to gaming, this is all bullshit.

Jul 26, 2021, 19:02
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 19:02
Jul 26, 2021, 19:02

Removed as proud independent.

Jul 26, 2021, 19:00
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 19:00
Jul 26, 2021, 19:00

Quinn wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 18:27:
Aw, got hung up on that did you? CNN exclusively favors the left narrative. That me shoving them in there with "other far left news organizations" is such a tripwire to you to fall over immediately tells me you're not trying to engage with me in good faith. But apparently it all got blurry after reading my first sentence. That's fine. Just don't pretend like I'm so ridiculously far off the mark. Same goes to you, Quboid.

LOL. No it didn't "trip me up"--you give yourself far too much credit. It just tickles me that you believe CNN is "far left". Either you aren't familiar with "far left" movements, or your powers of conflation are astounding. Are you familiar with the term "projection"? As far as your "thought experiment" I love how you believe you're the only one that would think about it had the situation been reversed--consider the BLM protests DC experienced. Anyway, keep believing your own press!

Forbes
AP

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 26, 2021, 18:53
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 18:53
Jul 26, 2021, 18:53

I'm better than this.
I'm better than this.
I'm better than this.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2021, 22:39.

Jul 26, 2021, 18:27
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 18:27
Jul 26, 2021, 18:27

Quinn wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 16:05:
... SNIP ...
Have you watched the drivel that came from CNN and other far left news organizations for the last 4 years?
... SNIP ...

You are *HIGH* if you think CNN is anywhere near "far left".
They have only recently been marked as "leans left" to "left" in November 2020.
I still wouldn't call that "far left".

Jul 26, 2021, 17:41
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 17:41
Jul 26, 2021, 17:41

For a good example of what the modern republican has become you need look no further than Michael Flynn.
https://www.rawstory.com/michael-flynn-dreams-of-washington-assassination/
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/us/politics/flynn-coup-gohmert-qanon.html Ted Cruz, Jim Banks, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lindsey Graham, Kevin McCarthy, Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Jim Jordan, Mitch McConnell and many others too numerous to mention. This is a family friendly website after all. Wink

Jul 26, 2021, 17:11
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 17:11
Jul 26, 2021, 17:11

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/left/cnn-bias/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/center/

Jul 26, 2021, 17:01
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 17:01
Jul 26, 2021, 17:01

Jul 26, 2021, 16:30
Quboid

Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 16:30
Jul 26, 2021, 16:30
 Quboid

Korrd wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 14:49:
TriggleDiggle wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 06:15:
I mean just swap the groups around.
WHY DO YOU THINK THIS CHANGES ANYTHING?

Are you really so blind as to think the left would excuse the behavior if perpetrated by BLM or other left-leaning groups?

Have you watched the drivel that came from CNN and other far left news organizations for the last 4 years? Have you seen how they've covered the riots, especially at first?

Wow so they covered something completely different in a completely different way?

Calling CNN far left really says everything about you.

Jul 26, 2021, 16:14
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 16:14
Jul 26, 2021, 16:14

... SNIP ...
Have you watched the drivel that came from CNN and other far left news organizations for the last 4 years?
... SNIP ...

You are *HIGH* if you think CNN is anywhere near "far left".
They have only recently been marked as "leans left" to "left" in November 2020.
I still wouldn't call that "far left".

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 26, 2021, 16:13
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 16:13

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 11:44:
You know Blues, there comes a time when a thread should get locked, because this one has gone off the rails completely.

It has been quite thoroughly derailed, that's true.

Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 16:13

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 10:57:
And what else does the radical left do? Build statues of violent career criminals to hold up as paragons of virtue to be worshiped and emulated. Fucking lol! You clowns think you're better than the Trump clowns when you're zero different. Worse even.

Examples ...? (Other than Che Guevara, not that I think he should have a statue anyway)

Jul 26, 2021, 16:11
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 16:11
Jul 26, 2021, 16:11

It's not about race, colour, gender, beliefs, culture, politics, etc... because there is no 'supreme' type of human out there. All societies contain a certain percentage of people whose morals, perspectives, and behaviour is best summed up as: they are an asshole. Perhaps the most universal trait of an asshole is being narcissistic, and Blues shared this article that narcissists tend to be promoted, and with that comes power over others, and the ability to perform all that asshole-behaviour with less criticism.

So here we are, in the same spot humans have always been, with assholes making the world worse for the rest of us.

Jul 26, 2021, 16:05
Re: Mike Morhaime on the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Jul 26, 2021, 16:05
Jul 26, 2021, 16:05

Korrd wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 14:49:
TriggleDiggle wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 06:15:
I mean just swap the groups around.
WHY DO YOU THINK THIS CHANGES ANYTHING?

Are you really so blind as to think the left would excuse the behavior if perpetrated by BLM or other left-leaning groups?

Have you watched the drivel that came from CNN and other far left news organizations for the last 4 years? Have you seen how they've covered the riots, especially at first? Even someone here mentioned the sacking of a personal business like it was some arbitrary thing; collateral damage absolutely worth the great cause of abolishing the police etc. The Capitol raid was the worst thing since aids but all the fucking riots non-fucking-stop bringing whole cities into chaos? Not a goddamn peep from the left, basically. Again, my cousin told me the police presence in Brooklyn has all but disappeared and crime has been rising lately. Not a peep. A girl is about to stab another girl but because the girl is black and the cop who shoots her is white, it's the talk of the fucking town and many fucking idiots took the side of the stabbing girl. Because she was black.

So yeah, when we turn the capitol "insurrection" into a BLM riot "fighting the power" in the name of all the millions of black victims by cops, you don't need to be an acrobat to imagine the 6th would be forgotten in minutes and never spoken about again.. or used as a beautiful moment in history where change was forced upon the corrupt white superiority whatever-the-fuck they come up with.

Don't pretend it's so difficult to imagine. Don't pretend the thought experiment is so shameful. You guys have lost your minds, on both ends of the spectrum. Completely. We're out of popcorn over here. It's not funny anymore.
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older