New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports

PCWorld has a follow-up from Amazon to the report alleging the beta for New World may be bricking RTX 3090 GPUs. The company says there is nothing wrong with the game. It also explains New World is being patched in spite of this:
“New World makes standard DirectX calls as provided by the Windows API. We have seen no indication of widespread issues with 3090s, either in the beta or during our many months of alpha testing,” the company’s spokeswoman said. “The New World Closed Beta is safe to play. In order to further reassure players, we will implement a patch today that caps frames per second on our menu screen. We’re grateful for the support New World is receiving from players around the world, and will keep listening to their feedback throughout Beta and beyond.”
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports
Jul 23, 2021, 17:10
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 23, 2021, 17:10
Jul 23, 2021, 17:10

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jul 23, 2021, 15:54:
The "patch" consists of an in-game frame rate cap. He disabled it, although he did mention he had no way of knowing if they did anything else and didn't publish any notes.

Yeah, it was a casual test, but still interesting, as an EVGA fanboy myself I'm wondering why the 3090 seemed to be ignoring power limits.

Ignoring power limits by 32% too, something that videotoober missed hilariously enough

Jul 23, 2021, 15:54
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 23, 2021, 15:54
Jul 23, 2021, 15:54

The "patch" consists of an in-game frame rate cap. He disabled it, although he did mention he had no way of knowing if they did anything else and didn't publish any notes.

Yeah, it was a casual test, but still interesting, as an EVGA fanboy myself I'm wondering why the 3090 seemed to be ignoring power limits.

- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Jul 23, 2021, 13:07
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 23, 2021, 13:07
Jul 23, 2021, 13:07

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 14:47:
Ash wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 14:39:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 13:31:
Good technical discussion about this from JayzTwoCents. I agree with his theory that it's a combination of edge conditions causing a perfect storm. Looking forward to him sacrificing a 3090 to replicate it while monitoring current draw and temps.

He's right that this known problem with the game should never have gotten out of alpha.

I also have to wonder if his suspicions about DC ripple caused by daisy chain cables and/or weak PSUs is part of the problem.

BTW: Never use a daisy chain. Damn things should be banned. I cut them off on custom builds because I never want a customer using the damn things in the future. They're also damn ugly for cable management. I've seen the damn things melt on some systems I've repaired.

https://youtu.be/KLyNFrKyG74

"Good technical discussion" with zero evidence or even knowledge of the situation. He, himself, stated that he knows nothing AT ALL about what exactly happened.
Heck, the title of the video itself is an OBVIOUS clickbait: "Beware! This game could brick your GPU! WARNING!" - Doesn't state which game, doesn't state which GPU, and he doesn't do either one of those in the video either, until AFTER his sponsored horseshit plug. Pathetic.
All of the things he said were "I feel like..." and then he proceeded to give a bunch of reasons for what could happen, at some point, somewhere., to someone, maybe, if Venus aligns with Mercury etc. etc.

I've owned and used plenty of GPU's in my life, and every single one of them has been ran continuously at 100% usage without exception. That's just what often happens, especially if you are on higher resolutions such as 1440p+.
Saying that this game somehow caused the GPU to burn out because it's too demanding is bullshit. EVEN IF, and I stress IF, it is so demanding that it has to use 100% GPU power, the GPU is "supposed" to be designed to handle it. Not only that, but there are also a bunch of safety measures that the GPU is designed with to protect itself from these exact scenarios.
I'll wait and see what the evidence shows after these GPU's are analyzed (Assuming we ever get the real reason, that is), but I have zero doubt that it is the manufacturer at fault here, and not the game or the user(s).

He nor I never claimed we had answers. I thought he explained what might be going on very well in layman's terms. It's all supposition at this point. It's certainly not the game alone. As I've pointed out below, I've seen other games go into race situations in the menu or cutscene. It's sloppy programming, but it shouldn't damage a modern card.

I think his THEORY is a valid one until more evidence comes in. You can't just blame the game, and you can't just blame EVGA (as he points out since they sell more 3090's than anyone, so this is likely going to include other manufacturers).

A modern card absolutely should not be destroyed by a game hammering it hard. It's almost certainly going be a variety of unique conditions that conspired to cause this in some cases. Manufacturers, and NVidia do a lot of testing, but they can't test everything. It could be that the power throttling will need to be tweaked, or there may need to be a recall on a choke or some other power component.

Yeah the title is click-baity, but honeslty, anyone who reads the news is going to know what game he's talking about.

Jayz and GamersNexus are a couple of the better Youtubers going this kind of thing, and yeah they need to advertise. You need to pay the bills.

GamersNexus yes, but JayZ.. holy hell no. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpvsaedeeqg
Open bench
Doesn't do what the reports said (menu after switching resolution and settings to Medium was the report, he does nothing even remotely like that) and the other reports had it happen while in the QUEUE
FPS stuck at 80-90 while running around, which you can't do while in a QUEUE
And my absolute favourite bit "let's try at 1080p" clicks at 1440p

And so on.

Even a child could reproduce the issue better. Like he isn't even trying.... or rather he was trying and it hurt my brain so hart I stopped the video and got some air. If this professional reporting I am gonna need a reality adjustment.

Edit. And even better, it was already patched when he made the video.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2021, 13:18.

Jul 23, 2021, 11:29
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 23, 2021, 11:29
Jul 23, 2021, 11:29

NKD wrote on Jul 23, 2021, 04:29:
I laugh whenever I read one of these things about "X game bricking GPUs!" because it always turns out that all the game did was perhaps unnecessarily consume more GPU resources than it really needed to, and this showed that manufacturers sold GPUs that were not capable of performing to advertised specs. It should be physically impossible for your card to brick itself without you doing something extremely stupid like sealing all the cooling vents with silly putty and flashing your BIOS to remove all thermal and voltage limiters.

yes its an engineering problem first - im not sure how people fail to understand this... a hardware failure is a failure of hardware design

Jul 23, 2021, 11:20
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 23, 2021, 11:20
Jul 23, 2021, 11:20

Jayz tests the game with an EVGA FTW3 3090 and an MSI 3090, and the EVGA is acting very strange compared to the MSI, with the card exceeding power limits by a fair amount.

Also EVGA is already shipping RMA'd cards.

https://youtu.be/rpvsaedeeqg

- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Jul 23, 2021, 04:29
NKD
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 23, 2021, 04:29
Jul 23, 2021, 04:29
NKD

I laugh whenever I read one of these things about "X game bricking GPUs!" because it always turns out that all the game did was perhaps unnecessarily consume more GPU resources than it really needed to, and this showed that manufacturers sold GPUs that were not capable of performing to advertised specs. It should be physically impossible for your card to brick itself without you doing something extremely stupid like sealing all the cooling vents with silly putty and flashing your BIOS to remove all thermal and voltage limiters.

Jul 22, 2021, 23:16
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 23:16
Jul 22, 2021, 23:16

Laughing Man wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 20:30:
Rilcon wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 15:53:
It's a (very common) software "bug" that should've been caught, but it's in no way culpable for any GPUs dying, only in exposing poor manufacturing quality. Unless the game is somehow telling the GPU to ignore all its limits and safeguards, the thing should never die from being maxed out any more than your modem should for hitting the bandwidth limit or your monitor for setting the contrast 100%.

lol, that's not even close to equivalent. a modem doesn't hit 510w and double as a space heater because you went with a different bios because you hit max bandwidth and wanted more.

The wattage is irrelevant as long as it's within the manufacturer's spec and they're supposed to have made accommodations for it... On the other hand, if you flashed your own vBIOS to increase wattage beyond manufacturer's spec, then you have no one to blame but yourself when it blows up.

Jul 22, 2021, 20:30
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 20:30
Jul 22, 2021, 20:30

Rilcon wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 15:53:
It's a (very common) software "bug" that should've been caught, but it's in no way culpable for any GPUs dying, only in exposing poor manufacturing quality. Unless the game is somehow telling the GPU to ignore all its limits and safeguards, the thing should never die from being maxed out any more than your modem should for hitting the bandwidth limit or your monitor for setting the contrast 100%.

lol, that's not even close to equivalent. a modem doesn't hit 510w and double as a space heater because you went with a different bios because you hit max bandwidth and wanted more.

Jul 22, 2021, 17:13
Kxmode

Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 17:13
Jul 22, 2021, 17:13
 Kxmode

"Absolutely nothing to see here. You can go about your business" 🏠🔥🚒👩‍🚒
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jul 22, 2021, 15:53
Rilcon

Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 15:53
Jul 22, 2021, 15:53
 Rilcon

Jul 22, 2021, 15:52
Ash
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 15:52
Jul 22, 2021, 15:52
Ash

Fion wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 15:42:
PR: "This is a problem on N'vidia's end. Reports of bricked AMD cards are just rumors."

Amazon: "Shhhh, patch it, patch it now before there's a class action suit. Do you know how much a 3090 goes for these days?!?"

Can you point me to some links of the bricked AMD cards?

Jul 22, 2021, 15:42
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 15:42
Jul 22, 2021, 15:42

PR: "This is a problem on N'vidia's end. Reports of bricked AMD cards are just rumors."

Amazon: "Shhhh, patch it, patch it now before there's a class action suit. Do you know how much a 3090 goes for these days?!?"

Jul 22, 2021, 15:35
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 15:35
Jul 22, 2021, 15:35

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 12:31:
I absolutely, 100% adore PR double speak.

There is nothing wrong with the game but we are patching the issue which isn't an issue.
It's more that Amazon is covering their asses as best they can by implementing middleman fixes.

From everything I have read, this is just a continuation of early 3090 revisions bricking because of physical defects. The same thing took place way back with the Halo collection with EVGA's 3090s, seemingly with exactly the same outcome.

Jul 22, 2021, 14:47
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 14:47
Jul 22, 2021, 14:47

Ash wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 14:39:
Good technical discussion about this from JayzTwoCents. I agree with his theory that it's a combination of edge conditions causing a perfect storm. Looking forward to him sacrificing a 3090 to replicate it while monitoring current draw and temps.

He's right that this known problem with the game should never have gotten out of alpha.

I also have to wonder if his suspicions about DC ripple caused by daisy chain cables and/or weak PSUs is part of the problem.

BTW: Never use a daisy chain. Damn things should be banned. I cut them off on custom builds because I never want a customer using the damn things in the future. They're also damn ugly for cable management. I've seen the damn things melt on some systems I've repaired.

"Good technical discussion" with zero evidence or even knowledge of the situation. He, himself, stated that he knows nothing AT ALL about what exactly happened.
Heck, the title of the video itself is an OBVIOUS clickbait: "Beware! This game could brick your GPU! WARNING!" - Doesn't state which game, doesn't state which GPU, and he doesn't do either one of those in the video either, until AFTER his sponsored horseshit plug. Pathetic.
All of the things he said were "I feel like..." and then he proceeded to give a bunch of reasons for what could happen, at some point, somewhere., to someone, maybe, if Venus aligns with Mercury etc. etc.

I've owned and used plenty of GPU's in my life, and every single one of them has been ran continuously at 100% usage without exception. That's just what often happens, especially if you are on higher resolutions such as 1440p+.
Saying that this game somehow caused the GPU to burn out because it's too demanding is bullshit. EVEN IF, and I stress IF, it is so demanding that it has to use 100% GPU power, the GPU is "supposed" to be designed to handle it. Not only that, but there are also a bunch of safety measures that the GPU is designed with to protect itself from these exact scenarios.
I'll wait and see what the evidence shows after these GPU's are analyzed (Assuming we ever get the real reason, that is), but I have zero doubt that it is the manufacturer at fault here, and not the game or the user(s).

He nor I never claimed we had answers. I thought he explained what might be going on very well in layman's terms. It's all supposition at this point. It's certainly not the game alone. As I've pointed out below, I've seen other games go into race situations in the menu or cutscene. It's sloppy programming, but it shouldn't damage a modern card.

I think his THEORY is a valid one until more evidence comes in. You can't just blame the game, and you can't just blame EVGA (as he points out since they sell more 3090's than anyone, so this is likely going to include other manufacturers).

A modern card absolutely should not be destroyed by a game hammering it hard. It's almost certainly going be a variety of unique conditions that conspired to cause this in some cases. Manufacturers, and NVidia do a lot of testing, but they can't test everything. It could be that the power throttling will need to be tweaked, or there may need to be a recall on a choke or some other power component.

Yeah the title is click-baity, but honeslty, anyone who reads the news is going to know what game he's talking about.

Jayz and GamersNexus are a couple of the better Youtubers going this kind of thing, and yeah they need to advertise. You need to pay the bills.

Jul 22, 2021, 14:39
Ash
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 14:39
Jul 22, 2021, 14:39
Ash

Jul 22, 2021, 13:31
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 13:31
Jul 22, 2021, 13:31

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2021, 14:01.

Jul 22, 2021, 13:23
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 13:23
Jul 22, 2021, 13:23

two wrongs dont make a right, clearly

you can blame amazon AND nvidia

because there is definitely enough incompetence to go around these days, and then some

Jul 22, 2021, 13:21
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 13:21
Jul 22, 2021, 13:21

Derek Smart retweeted someone indicating that this was happening with a variety of other GPU (not just 3090s or Nvidia).

Jul 22, 2021, 13:15
Tom
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 13:15
Jul 22, 2021, 13:15
Tom

Nothing wrong with the game? Yeah right. Any game that goes nuts in the menu screen or any other place and renders more frames than could possibly be useful is BROKEN and there is no excuse for it. Whoever wrote that code screwed up, period.

Should the hardware be killable by bad software? No. But that doesn't mean it's not bad software.

Jul 22, 2021, 12:55
Re: New World Getting Patch After Bricked GPU Reports Jul 22, 2021, 12:55
Jul 22, 2021, 12:55

"We will allow you to cap your fps so that the world's most powerful gaming graphics card doesn't struggle, get too hot, and get damaged"

No, I didn't read the full article 🤪
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older