Out of the Blue

Another of those EA Play Live 2021 dealies is supposed to get underway at 1:00 pm EDT. Lately many of these start times turned out to be the kickoff of another 60 minute countdown to when the stream actually begins. It's not clear if that's the case here, but in any event, we should eventually get updates on Apex Legends and Battlefield 2042 when it all does air.

Carefully Scheduled Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Dune games!
Jul 26, 2021, 04:39
Ant

Re: Dune games! Jul 26, 2021, 04:39
Jul 26, 2021, 04:39
 Ant

Greentiger wrote on Jul 26, 2021, 04:35:
Ant wrote on Jul 25, 2021, 19:44:
I feel like replaying Dune RTS games again even though they are so primitive and outdated like II. I didn't like the adventure game of the first game. I'm old!

I really liked Dune 2000. Emperor Battle for Dune was ok but constantly fighting over the same territories got old.
Dune 2K was cool. Emperor: Battle for Dune was decent. We need a new Dune RTS game! "The spice must flow."

Re: Dune games!
Jul 26, 2021, 04:35
Re: Dune games! Jul 26, 2021, 04:35
Jul 26, 2021, 04:35

Ant wrote on Jul 25, 2021, 19:44:
I feel like replaying Dune RTS games again even though they are so primitive and outdated like II. I didn't like the adventure game of the first game. I'm old!

I really liked Dune 2000. Emperor Battle for Dune was ok but constantly fighting over the same territories got old.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Dune games!
Jul 25, 2021, 19:44
Ant

Dune games! Jul 25, 2021, 19:44
Jul 25, 2021, 19:44
 Ant

Re: Out of the Blue
Jul 24, 2021, 21:07
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2021, 21:07
Jul 24, 2021, 21:07

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 24, 2021, 20:26:
It's been 10-15 years since I tried to read any of the son's books, so I should probably give them another try, I definitely need to read up the Butlerian Jihad trilogy, just for completion's sake, but I never even tried those.
Supposedly the books I specifically named were outlined by Frank. Those outlines were found after his death by his son, Brian. This story is disputed by some. I have no idea how good the evidence is for either side of the argument. So, who knows? I do know the books I mentioned seem to fit extremely well with the cliffhanger Frank left us with at the end of "Chapterhouse: Dune". So... *shrug*

I want to try the House books some day and maybe the others. Hopefully I'll get around to them eventually.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 24, 2021, 20:26
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2021, 20:26
Jul 24, 2021, 20:26

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 23, 2021, 20:14:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 23, 2021, 14:09:
Oh shit, you haven't read the Dune series yet!? You are in for a treat; it's one of the best science fiction series ever written (the ones written by Frank, not so much for the add-on novels by his son).
The original is fantastic. Two and three are okay, four five and six are excellent. Although I appear to be in the minority, I think the books written by his son and Kevin Anderson are also quite good. Although I didn't read them all. I read the "main story line" ie. The original six, then the prequel trilogy (The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin) and then the two sequel novels (Hunters of Dune, Sandworms of Dune ). -- which tells the complete story. The House books and and others I have not read.

It's been 10-15 years since I tried to read any of the son's books, so I should probably give them another try, I definitely need to read up the Butlerian Jihad trilogy, just for completion's sake, but I never even tried those.

Jul 23, 2021, 20:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2021, 20:14
Jul 23, 2021, 20:14

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 23, 2021, 14:09:
Oh shit, you haven't read the Dune series yet!? You are in for a treat; it's one of the best science fiction series ever written (the ones written by Frank, not so much for the add-on novels by his son).
The original is fantastic. Two and three are okay, four five and six are excellent. Although I appear to be in the minority, I think the books written by his son and Kevin Anderson are also quite good. Although I didn't read them all. I read the "main story line" ie. The original six, then the prequel trilogy (The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin) and then the two sequel novels (Hunters of Dune, Sandworms of Dune ). -- which tells the complete story. The House books and and others I have not read.

Jul 23, 2021, 14:09
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2021, 14:09
Jul 23, 2021, 14:09

Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 23:24:
I think I should get around to reading the novels myself. As for the film I wouldn't be too worried about spoilers. I imagine it will require multiple re-watches. I can't fathom it won't be great. The hard part will be waiting for the second film.

Oh shit, you haven't read the Dune series yet!? You are in for a treat; it's one of the best science fiction series ever written (the ones written by Frank, not so much for the add-on novels by his son). It's one of those series I kinda wish I could forget, just to experience again for the first time, like Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun, or the Three Body Problem. Mind blowing, in a lot of ways.

As far as the argument about harsh environments leading to tough soldiers, we literally have real world examples, on Earth, right now, they live in Afghanistan, Syria and Pakistan, among other places. The Fremen are basically modeled after Middle Eastern tribal groups. Those hardy fuckers making AK47s by hand in the mountains and living in the rocks are as Fremen as you are going to get in real life; even if they are enemies, it'd be wise to respect their determination and focus.

Jul 23, 2021, 08:09
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2021, 08:09
Jul 23, 2021, 08:09

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 22:34:
As for neckbearding "Dune", I'm kinda over it. "Dune" is a great book, as you said. It will never 100% translate over to any medium outside of the printed page. It is unfilmable as written. However, that doesn't, and hasn't, seem to have stopped a legion of neckbeards from whining about how the movie isn't like the book since the first trailer dropped. There's already whining that Liet is played by a woman and, apparently this is much worse somehow, a black woman.
I didn't know about Liet being played by a black woman, it doesn't bother me or excite me. Is it reasonable or valid to make such a change? *shrug* But it isn't something I personally would bother arguing over.

It's like the "Hyperion" series. None of those books could ever be filmed as a movie as written. A multiseason Netflix or HBO show? Sure. "Dune" needs the same treatment but we're never going to see it after the faceplant the Sci-Fi...err..Sy-Fy series took. So might as well sit back in my comfy reclining sofa and watch the movie and enjoy it for what it is.
A well done "Hyperion" series on Netflix or Showtime or something like it would very welcome. Although the likelihood someone would do a good job of creating a reasonably accurate representation of the novels is extremely low. An order of magnitude more difficult than doing Foundation IMHO.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2021, 14:29.

Jul 23, 2021, 08:06
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2021, 08:06
Jul 23, 2021, 08:06

Someone hurry up and make a Dune mmog so I can learn about the books! Slap Giggle
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Jul 23, 2021, 07:56
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2021, 07:56
Jul 23, 2021, 07:56

1badmf wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 23:10:
i always thought you gave less of a shit if a thing had mass appeal. i give no credence to a thing if a great unwashed mass worship it.
Well, you correctly nailed me there. I personally don't particularly care if something does or doesn't have mass appeal, except perhaps to want the things I like to have enough appeal that they don't disappear due to a lack of profitability. It has little effect on my opinion of it. So, it kind of follows logically that I wouldn't care if many people do or don't consider Dune one of the greatest sci-fi novels of all time. However, I also realize and am willing to admit that just because I don't like something doesn't necessarily mean it isn't "good". All that said, there is a large difference between millions of drones clamoring over some YouTube clown and reasonable discussions over the content of novels, films and other media.

as for the fremen - how were they highly advanced? they were the least advanced of the political groups in dune, up until paul became emperor. subsistence level, confined to a single planet, barely even any mechanized firepower.
And yet they defeat the Harkonnens despite the Sardaukar support. The technology they use for collecting and preserving water is highly advanced. It is repeatedly said Fremen stillsuits are the best. Only a fool/idiot would be in the desert with a suit not made by Fremen. There is talk of their industrial base through the sietches. And Paul talks/thinks about how impressed/surprised he is with their organization and efficiency. They aren't the American Indians, fighting the advanced tech of Europe. They could have any of the tech they want. They are bribing the Guild to keep satellites from observing the parts of Arrakis where they are busy doing their thing. It would cost much less to buy lasguns.

and the book specifically states that it was those harsh conditions that created their great soldiers, which is utter horse shit. same with the sardaukar - that the harsh fight for survival on corrino was what made them the best shock troops. good god i can't believe i remember all that heh.
While I might agree this concept is flawed, there is some logic to it. There is a reason getting through US Marine boot camp isn't easy, let alone getting through something like SEAL training. Does that logic reasonably extend into raising troops exclusively from a civilization living in harsh conditions? Maybe? *shrug*

Jul 22, 2021, 23:24
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 23:24
Jul 22, 2021, 23:24

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 16:14:
My goal, until October (aside from basic stuff like not dying from the pandemic, or being killed by flooding, etc.) is to avoid getting too hyped up for Villeneuve's Dune. I started watching the trailer, then had to turn it off, I am going to try to avoid any visual spoilers as much as possible; save it all for maximum impact on the first viewing. We all already know the base story, so there won't be too many surprises.

I do think I'm going to reread the first couple of novels before October though.

I think I should get around to reading the novels myself. As for the film I wouldn't be too worried about spoilers. I imagine it will require multiple re-watches. I can't fathom it won't be great. The hard part will be waiting for the second film.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Jul 22, 2021, 23:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 23:14
Jul 22, 2021, 23:14

Anglers, hunters, trappers, et al. = worlds biggest assholes.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Jul 22, 2021, 23:10
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 23:10
Jul 22, 2021, 23:10

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 21:40:
1badmf wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 21:28:
i'm surprised you like the book. i thought it was kinda garbage, especially the bit about how the best soldiers come from the harshest environments. that's almost never been true. the best armies come from the most advanced civilizations.
I'm not sure that's a valid argument. I would say both the Fremen and the Sardaukar are highly advanced civilizations. I also have no idea why you would be surprised I would like a book which is held up by many as one of the best science fiction books ever written. I certainly think it is. Actually my biggest gripe about any sci-fi film based on a book I've read is not living up to my imagination. An unfair judgement to be sure, but there you have it.

i always thought you gave less of a shit if a thing had mass appeal. i give no credence to a thing if a great unwashed mass worship it. as for the fremen - how were they highly advanced? they were the least advanced of the political groups in dune, up until paul became emperor. subsistence level, confined to a single planet, barely even any mechanized firepower.

and the book specifically states that it was those harsh conditions that created their great soldiers, which is utter horse shit. same with the sardaukar - that the harsh fight for survival on corrino was what made them the best shock troops. good god i can't believe i remember all that heh.

Jul 22, 2021, 22:34
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 22:34
Jul 22, 2021, 22:34

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 21:45:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 21:43:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 20:56:
If I didn't shave for six months I wouldn't have anything a reasonable person would call a beard. I tried once.
Too funny.
When it’s neck beard season I’ll sometimes get asked if I’m a professor at the college.
Trust me, it’s not because I wear it well.
It is kind of unfortunate, because I hate shaving. If I could grow a reasonable beard... oh well, life sucks and in the end you die.

I haven't shaved in 19 days. You would swear that I look like I belong in a cabin in Montana building mailbombs! I am, or was at this point, a fair skinned redhead. Many moons ago, it took me six months to grow out a decent goatee.

As for neckbearding "Dune", I'm kinda over it. "Dune" is a great book, as you said. It will never 100% translate over to any medium outside of the printed page. It is unfilmable as written. However, that doesn't, and hasn't, seem to have stopped a legion of neckbeards from whining about how the movie isn't like the book since the first trailer dropped. There's already whining that Liet is played by a woman and, apparently this is much worse somehow, a black woman.

It's like the "Hyperion" series. None of those books could ever be filmed as a movie as written. A multiseason Netflix or HBO show? Sure. "Dune" needs the same treatment but we're never going to see it after the faceplant the Sci-Fi...err..Sy-Fy series took. So might as well sit back in my comfy reclining sofa and watch the movie and enjoy it for what it is.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Jul 22, 2021, 21:45
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 21:45
Jul 22, 2021, 21:45

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 21:43:
If I didn't shave for six months I wouldn't have anything a reasonable person would call a beard. I tried once.
Too funny.
When it’s neck beard season I’ll sometimes get asked if I’m a professor at the college.
It is kind of unfortunate, because I hate shaving. If I could grow a reasonable beard... oh well, life sucks and in the end you die.

Jul 22, 2021, 21:43
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 21:43
Jul 22, 2021, 21:43

Too funny.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 22, 2021, 21:40
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 21:40
Jul 22, 2021, 21:40

1badmf wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 21:28:
i'm surprised you like the book. i thought it was kinda garbage, especially the bit about how the best soldiers come from the harshest environments. that's almost never been true. the best armies come from the most advanced civilizations.
I'm not sure that's a valid argument. I would say both the Fremen and the Sardaukar are highly advanced civilizations. I also have no idea why you would be surprised I would like a book which is held up by many as one of the best science fiction books ever written. I certainly think it is. Actually my biggest gripe about any sci-fi film based on a book I've read is not living up to my imagination. An unfair judgement to be sure, but there you have it.

Jul 22, 2021, 21:28
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 21:28
Jul 22, 2021, 21:28

just fyi, this dune will only cover half the book, so it should be pretty faithful. but the jokes oh god the jokes *cringe*. they better not be making a marvel lite film. i'm surprised you like the book. i thought it was kinda garbage, especially the bit about how the best soldiers come from the harshest environments. that's almost never been true. the best armies come from the most advanced civilizations.

Jul 22, 2021, 20:56
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 20:56
Jul 22, 2021, 20:56

Jul 22, 2021, 20:54
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2021, 20:54
Jul 22, 2021, 20:54

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 22, 2021, 19:40:
Pretty sure I don't meet most, if any, of the criteria of a typical "neckbeard". That said, why shouldn't I complain if the film doesn't follow the book? It is based on Dune, called Dune. If they just wanted to make a sci-fi film with giant sandworms and not follow the Dune story, fine. Just don't call it Dune. I'll withhold my judgment of the film until after I have seen it.
Please post pics of your neckbeard. This, I gotta see.
With great freedom comes great responsibility.
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older