Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More

The Epic Games Store Roadmap on Trello details some new features coming to the Epic Games Store in future updates (thanks VG247). Additions will include a preview on hover on the store, achievements, and upgraded user profiles. No time frame is provided for when to expect these changes to go live.
View : : :
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More
Jul 24, 2021, 00:45
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 24, 2021, 00:45
Jul 24, 2021, 00:45

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 19, 2021, 16:56:
I'll just say that if a game has so much DLC that it requires a shopping cart to buy all of them for a full experience, then I have zero interest in a "game" that is solely designed to milk people via nickle-and-diming ...
You began fine there. As a personal preference, nobody will seriously oppose your choices.
But then you put all games with DLCs in the same bag, that's grossly overgeneralizing, should I say, simple-minded.
Worse, you imply that all gamers that find many DLCs interesting are simple-minded milk worthy people (not at all, End of Zoe, Grim Dawn's, Spellforce 3's, etc great DLCs come to mind).
Like most semi-intelligent gamers, I choose carefully my DLCs, don't you talk sh!t about them, ya hear !

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2021, 00:58.

Jul 23, 2021, 16:46
Verno

Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 23, 2021, 16:46
Jul 23, 2021, 16:46
 Verno

Half of the time when I google something related to a game, the first thing that pops up is a Steam forum post. I don't use them much myself but a great many people do and obviously find them useful. Likewise it is nice to add multiple things to a cart. It take some serious edgelord internet contrarianism act like the omission of such a basic feature is somehow OK. When Valve shipped Steam as a minimum viable product, they were raked over the coals here for many years.

The Epic Games Store is not terribly useful and this is why they have to continually bribe people to use it. It reminds me of Bing, another product no one actually uses unless its dictated to them by their organization or because they are getting reward points. I launch games with the EGS, very rarely at that. That's about the extent of its usefulness. To some maybe that's enough but many others have become accustomed to fully featured clients that extend both the games themselves and the communities surrounding them.

The thing is that Epic develops a full fucking engine and has the resources to do a lot better. It's just a shame that its taking them so long to bother. You expect half-assed stuff from EA or Ubisoft, not Epic.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2021, 11:04.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jul 20, 2021, 17:36
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 17:36
Jul 20, 2021, 17:36

Sepharo wrote on Jul 20, 2021, 17:21:
I use all the features you guys say are worthless /shrug
Deplorable Steam Fanboi!!!! How dare you make use of the featureset! I bet you're one of those filthy no goods that uses Bluetooth in his car as well. Disgusting what this world is coming to.

Jul 20, 2021, 17:21
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 17:21
Jul 20, 2021, 17:21

I use all the features you guys say are worthless /shrug

Jul 20, 2021, 10:58
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 10:58
Jul 20, 2021, 10:58

Teddy wrote on Jul 20, 2021, 09:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 19, 2021, 19:18:
I'll just say that if a game has so much DLC that it requires a shopping cart to buy all of them for a full experience, then I have zero interest in a "game" that is solely designed to milk people via nickle-and-diming.

I think the anti-EGS crusading isn't just stupid, it's petulantly childish. Steam isn't the greatest at everything. As others have mentioned, the "forums" are cesspools. The "reviews" are largely garbage thanks to review brigading (ala Titanfall and Titanfall 2 being the most recent examples). Steam's "sales" are now absolute jokes and shadows of what they used to be. The Workshop, what was once a pretty nice feature, has now turned in to a dumping ground. What Steam has is momentum. These days, I'd rather buy from GOG if at all possible because I can squirrel away the installers for use later if a publisher gets a wild hair up their ass and starts yanking games (Like, you know, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Take 2 have done).

I feel like this is so not what the reality is that I see daily on Steam that I have to wonder when the last time was you even used it. And for which games.

Warhammer 1+2 has what, 45 DLC's and every single one of them is worth it some of it is free, some of it is specials, some of it is paid, and helped keep a 5 year old game fresh. And turned a game called Warhammer 1 into a trilogy that ends as the largest ever made 4X/RTS hybrid game. With mods that fix things, add things and improve things.

The problem is not steam. The problem is your choice of games and your skills at sorting through mods properly, by using discussion/curated lists/reddit/discord mod lists. Annoying to find? Maybe, but thousand times more useful than randomly browsing on the Nexus or having 62 unmentioned unlinked and unsorted dependencies half of which require manually installation....... And steam discussions are 80% discussions about game issues or technical issues or bugs. Exactly what I want to see in a discussion for a game.

Point is, what you describe is so much not what I experience daily on Steam that it is baffling to me.

And your 'experience' excuses every single issue raised while trying to blame them on the user rather than the platform. It sounds like a fanboy refusing to see reality. I own well more than 1000 games on steam, myself and I agree with a great many things said. The discussion boards are borderline worthless, I'm better off googling in search of answers to issues, the reviews are generally garbage unless you're willing to devote time to troll through them looking for something that sounds honest and I'm 100% with Burrito on games with more than a dozen DLC's. F that noise. Not even worth my time glancing at them, I can already see what they're all about.
Teddy, you succinctly nailed it.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 20, 2021, 10:44
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 10:44
Jul 20, 2021, 10:44

Teddy wrote on Jul 20, 2021, 09:53:
I'll just say that if a game has so much DLC that it requires a shopping cart to buy all of them for a full experience, then I have zero interest in a "game" that is solely designed to milk people via nickle-and-diming.

I think the anti-EGS crusading isn't just stupid, it's petulantly childish. Steam isn't the greatest at everything. As others have mentioned, the "forums" are cesspools. The "reviews" are largely garbage thanks to review brigading (ala Titanfall and Titanfall 2 being the most recent examples). Steam's "sales" are now absolute jokes and shadows of what they used to be. The Workshop, what was once a pretty nice feature, has now turned in to a dumping ground. What Steam has is momentum. These days, I'd rather buy from GOG if at all possible because I can squirrel away the installers for use later if a publisher gets a wild hair up their ass and starts yanking games (Like, you know, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Take 2 have done).

I feel like this is so not what the reality is that I see daily on Steam that I have to wonder when the last time was you even used it. And for which games.

Warhammer 1+2 has what, 45 DLC's and every single one of them is worth it some of it is free, some of it is specials, some of it is paid, and helped keep a 5 year old game fresh. And turned a game called Warhammer 1 into a trilogy that ends as the largest ever made 4X/RTS hybrid game. With mods that fix things, add things and improve things.

The problem is not steam. The problem is your choice of games and your skills at sorting through mods properly, by using discussion/curated lists/reddit/discord mod lists. Annoying to find? Maybe, but thousand times more useful than randomly browsing on the Nexus or having 62 unmentioned unlinked and unsorted dependencies half of which require manually installation....... And steam discussions are 80% discussions about game issues or technical issues or bugs. Exactly what I want to see in a discussion for a game.

Point is, what you describe is so much not what I experience daily on Steam that it is baffling to me.

And your 'experience' excuses every single issue raised while trying to blame them on the user rather than the platform. It sounds like a fanboy refusing to see reality. I own well more than 1000 games on steam, myself and I agree with a great many things said. The discussion boards are borderline worthless, I'm better off googling in search of answers to issues, the reviews are generally garbage unless you're willing to devote time to troll through them looking for something that sounds honest and I'm 100% with Burrito on games with more than a dozen DLC's. F that noise. Not even worth my time glancing at them, I can already see what they're all about.

So to you it is a bad thing when a developer keeps themselves afloat by supporting a game series for 5+ years? You must really love dying developers then that never support their games. And I legit still am waiting for you or bop to give us "steam fanboys" some examples of games that in your opinion do not deserve that a developer tries to support and enhance the experience for customers through DLC. Go on, mention Stellaris, or Cities Skylines.. oh wait, you never played either since according to your logic, you "know what they are all about" given each has more than 6 DLC's ;p

As a gamer, I want games that are supported by developers. And unlike you I know how game development works, and when no money comes in no development comes out. A very simple concept even. Games on EGS with no community get exactly zero support because they have no long-term staying power. And if you like dropshipped games then capcom, Bandai Namco and squenix has you covered I guess. And then you quickly notice why we who actually play games for fun prefer games that have some long term support and plan. Like said Total War: Warhammer, Anno 1800, Cities Skylines, Stellaris and the list can go on depending on your genres....

Jul 20, 2021, 10:10
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 10:10
Jul 20, 2021, 10:10

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2021, 09:56:
Nullity wrote on Jul 20, 2021, 09:43:
Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2021, 14:34:
However, today they did move shopping carts to "Up Next," which cracks me up. That was one of the loudest complaints people here made, and never made sense to me. I don't use the cart on Steam. I wouldn't there. I haven't bought multiple games at once since the days of insane Steam flash sales, and even then, checking out on both is so damn fast that I really can't say I much missed a cart. But the squeakiest wheels really honed in on that one.
You seem to have missed the point of all the flack given to EGS regarding the missing shopping cart feature. It wasn't that people thought it was the most important, but rather that it's one of the simplest and most ubiquitous features for any online store, and the fact that it was (and still is) missing was highly laughable and worthy of ridicule.

Yes, and others seem to miss the point, that if lacking a feature many people find meaningless is what you focus on, you're missing the forest for the trees and easily misled by meaningless data points.
It's not about a shopping cart, per se. EGS is/was a minimum viable product. It's missing many common and useful features. You many not object to EGS as many others do, but this is an objectively truthful statement. Ripping on the lack of a shopping cart was merely a quick and easy way of making this point, that's all.
Buy/HODL AMC! #ApeArmy (Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor / this is not financial advice)

Jul 20, 2021, 09:56
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 09:56
Jul 20, 2021, 09:56

Nullity wrote on Jul 20, 2021, 09:43:
However, today they did move shopping carts to "Up Next," which cracks me up. That was one of the loudest complaints people here made, and never made sense to me. I don't use the cart on Steam. I wouldn't there. I haven't bought multiple games at once since the days of insane Steam flash sales, and even then, checking out on both is so damn fast that I really can't say I much missed a cart. But the squeakiest wheels really honed in on that one.
You seem to have missed the point of all the flack given to EGS regarding the missing shopping cart feature. It wasn't that people thought it was the most important, but rather that it's one of the simplest and most ubiquitous features for any online store, and the fact that it was (and still is) missing was highly laughable and worthy of ridicule.

Yes, and others seem to miss the point, that if lacking a feature many people find meaningless is what you focus on, you're missing the forest for the trees and easily misled by meaningless data points.

It's kind of the Tucker Carlson method. Look at how he discusses any issue in America. He'll focus on some tiny, meaningless thing that he can sell as absurd and use it to discredit an entire movement/idea/entity. Sure, that thing he's so focused on has no bearing on anything, but it's ridiculous, so let's never address anything else!

Jul 20, 2021, 09:53
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 09:53
Jul 20, 2021, 09:53

Jul 20, 2021, 09:43
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 09:43
Jul 20, 2021, 09:43

Buy/HODL AMC! #ApeArmy (Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor / this is not financial advice)

Jul 20, 2021, 04:24
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 20, 2021, 04:24
Jul 20, 2021, 04:24

I have Nexus mod manager installed, now called vortex. Its useful but as mentioned if one thing goes wrong the entire mod load order blows up and your back on the site tracking down what's possibly going wrong.

Steam workshop however, Its easy to separate the chaff from the useful mods. Hell outside of Fallout 4 I do not even use anything else. Its ether Steam Workshop or I have reservations about modding a game at all. One click, it will popup if the mod needs dependency mods so you grab them, Download. Run the game and good to go... provided the mod is up to date of course.

The Cart is convenience. and as mentioned it helps with budgeting what your buying. Honestly it should have been in day one irregardless of other features. I'm fine with Steam, and fine with Epic as is. But Epic launcher is not on auto-start for my PC, Steam is. If Epic Launcher actually becomes some useful hub like Steam currently is I have no qualms about changing that.
"Unhappy the land where heroes are needed."

Galileo, in Brecht's Life of Galileo (1943)

Jul 19, 2021, 19:52
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 19:52
Jul 19, 2021, 19:52

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 19, 2021, 19:26:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 19, 2021, 19:01:
Since june 1st, I've bought 219 games on Steam.
Not counting DLCs, chosen selectively, never buy OSTs or cosmetic junk, only stories.
Damn, that's impressive. I doubt I've bought 219 games in my lifetime. However, I do tend to play the ones I buy just a bit. Off the top of my head I just thought of five games I know I have spent at least two thousand hours in, there are probably a few others and I'm guessing I could come up with a few dozen I spent at least a couple of hundred hours in. If I include board games, the numbers go up a bit...
Play many hours/day (retired) and rarely leave a game unfinished, but Cheat Engine helps me to steamroll the ornery ones.
Have some 2000 PC games overall, but multiples of that stored over the years.
Plus most anything on other systems old an new that isn't on PC (no sports though Shame ).

Jul 19, 2021, 19:32
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 19:32
Jul 19, 2021, 19:32

This +1 !
It's easy to learn to dismiss the paid for reviews.
I've found the rest mostly very useful and informative, with info not available in web sites :
Know about quirks, bugs, pros and cons, fixes.
Find if a multiplayer capable game has an interesting offline solo campaign.
Go to the hub for hints, maps, tips, walkthroughs, etc.

And if not in the 1st world, get regularly much better prices than in *any* other shops (even if they are on sales), sometimes dirt cheap for us sh!tworlders.

Jul 19, 2021, 19:26
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 19:26
Jul 19, 2021, 19:26

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 19, 2021, 19:01:
Not counting DLCs, chosen selectively, never buy OSTs or cosmetic junk, only stories.
Damn, that's impressive. I doubt I've bought 219 games in my lifetime. However, I do tend to play the ones I buy just a bit. Off the top of my head I just thought of five games I know I have spent at least two thousand hours in, there are probably a few others and I'm guessing I could come up with a few dozen I spent at least a couple of hundred hours in. If I include board games, the numbers go up a bit...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 19, 2021, 19:18
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 19:18
Jul 19, 2021, 19:18

Jul 19, 2021, 19:01
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 19:01
Jul 19, 2021, 19:01

I find revealing seeing other people play, "hey I didn't know you could do that".

Well, the cart is crucial for me :
1 Select your games, if the total price is to high for your budget, remove some.

2 Finding about further discounts available when pairing some games/DLCs in a bundle *sometimes not offered openly as such* in your cart.
Got great deals and better decisions so.

3 Go back to a game page and finally see what obscure Bundles, Complete, Deluxe, Compilation, Pack, really contain.
(once in the cart, the included/excluded items light up in green (or don't).

4 Decide at the last moment if I really want that game. And with middle button on the cart, you can rapidly review the game pages.

Should I take notes ? Please don't take away my cart ! Rifle

Jul 19, 2021, 17:51
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 17:51
 Kxmode

Golfclap
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 17:51

The Workshop, what was once a pretty nice feature, has now turned in to a dumping ground.
Man, I gotta call this one out. There is a lot of chaff in the Workshop, but it's fairly easy to filter out if you research the mods elsewhere. Here is what modding looks like once you take off the rose colored glasses :

Kenshi - Steam Workshop - 15 minutes and free
- 10 minutes looking over a couple of Reddit threads with recommended mods
- 5 minutes in Steam Workshop to find, download, and enable them in game.
Fallout 4 VR - old school modding - more hours than I would care to admit + paying for NexusMods
- hours looking over threads and spreadsheets regarding compatibility
- paying for NexusMods
- time trying to find out why certain mods aren't on NexusMods and have to be sourced elsewhere
- an hour getting MO2 and watching vids on how the interface works
- manually editing INI's
- More hours adjusting load orders, individual mod settings, copying files, etc...

Jul 19, 2021, 17:45
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 17:45
Jul 19, 2021, 17:45

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 19, 2021, 16:59:
My Dad once talked me about of buying a 1974 Javelin AMX with a 401 and the "Go Package". The guy wanted 2500 for it. It was in beautiful shape albeit the paint was a little faded.

I have never forgiven him nor let him live it down since.
yessir
I fully understand why you still might carry a bee in your bonnet over that boo boo
the “Go Package” was either the optional 360 V8 or the bigger 401 CI engine, “Rally-Pac” dash instruments and limited-slip differential and this is on top of the fiber-glass, cowl induction hood found standard on the AMX version of the Javelin.
drool
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jul 19, 2021, 17:28
Re: Epic Games Store Adding Achievements and More Jul 19, 2021, 17:28
Jul 19, 2021, 17:28

Well the cart wouldn't be useful for just DLCs. Unless it's a title I'm dying for I buy them on sale, and will often pick up 2-4 titles depending on the sale. Buying individually is definitely a "first world problem" still, it would be nice to group them all together and just buy them all the same time. I have yet to buy anything for "real" on EGS, most of the stuff I've wanted they've actually given away--but I like the fact that there's actually less stuff on EGS, the Steam store has become a nightmare for finding anything new and valuable--I mean, not all games are winners, but it's flooded with memeware and it's super annoying. I wish Steam would have separated curated store, and a "free for all" store.
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older