Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit

Game writer Chris Avellone has filed a libel lawsuit over sexual misconduct allegations that surfaced against him one year ago (thanks D.M. Schmeyer via Gamasutra). Just yesterday we mentioned a few posts by Chris addressing the situation, and clearly these were related to the lawsuit. The defendants are listed as Karissa Barrows, Kelly Bristol, and 100 Jane Does, and the complaint includes a demand for jury trial. Part of it alleges conspiratorial behavior:
Avellone is informed and believes, and based thereon alleges, that at all times herein mentioned, each unnamed Defendant was the agent of the other named Defendant(s) herein, and at all times were and are acting within the purpose and scope of such agency, and with the permission and consent of his/her/its named co-Defendant(s) with knowledge, authorization, permission, consent, and/or subsequent ratification and approval of each co-Defendant. Avellone is further informed and believes, and based thereon alleges, that each named and unnamed Defendant knowingly and willfully conspired and agreed among themselves to deprive Avellone of his rights and to cause the damages described herein.
View : : :
144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit
Jun 29, 2021, 18:02
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 18:02
Jun 29, 2021, 18:02

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 16:05:
Slashman wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 13:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 07:30:
SJW-ified geek girls back-doored their way into the hobby / coerced (read: brainwashed) / hating white males / conspiring to cancel them / You can laugh if you want / good people in this industry
DRINK❕

Dude...this much drinking is NOT good for your health!
He can't respond right now. He's passed out. Hungover
Hiccup, burp.
Wha, he rubs his eyes and reaches for a pack of smokes while simultaneously eyeing the brown bottles scattered about in search of one last swig.
Swearing under his breath to never play the game again, but secretly he knows he will.
the end
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 29, 2021, 17:12
Kxmode

Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 17:12
Jun 29, 2021, 17:12
 Kxmode

Popcorn
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 29, 2021, 16:41
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 16:41
Jun 29, 2021, 16:41

Orogogus, where were you on January 6.
I remember I was watching it live physically ill.

45 was a piece of shit before he lost the popular vote the first time. Real Americans will do everything they legally can to prevent him from ever setting in office again.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 29, 2021, 16:30
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 16:30
Jun 29, 2021, 16:30

Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 13:14:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 11:25:

Palmer Luckey was let go from Facebook/Oculus basically for being a Republican. At the time, people were throwing a fit about anti-immigrant tweets his girlfriend had liked, or a photograph of him with a rightwing Internet guy, and $10,000 he gave to a Trump PAC that made one fairly bland anti-Hillary billboard. Customers were demanding that Facebook get rid of him, developers were refusing to work with Oculus unless that happened. Your argument at the time, IIRC, is that he made people (i.e., liberals) uncomfortable and therefore Facebook had no choice but to let him go, and I think it's pretty shit. He never assaulted anyone or committed any crimes, but he gave money to help the guy who won the election so people demanded that Facebook screw with his employment.

You're missing a few important things here:
1) He was making donations that would reduce the rights of a certain group of people, specifically. That group of people is one that is heavily employed by Facebook, and a large part of their money. Palmer was a key executive. When key executives use some of their salary to deny rights they have to significant parts of your employee base, vendor base, and user base, well, that won't go over well.

2) He hid that he was doing this, which, again, is not something companies generally like from key executives

3) He received a NINE FIGURE golden parachute

4) He then received significant VC funding to start a new company

5) That company has significant government contracts at the moment

So he was "canceled" into being the nine-figure-net-worth founder of a major defense contractor? Sign me up for that.

And this isn't new. If you don't think companies were having to let go of executives because of things they said or did that pissed off partners and consumers 100 years ago... I know you don't think this. What you think is that he was just "making a donation." You'll always see Trump as just a political opinion. You likely saw gay marriage as a political decision. You likely think that what happened at the Capitol was just normal tourism.
What I think is that this kind of attitude is going to lose the next presidential election and a bunch of smaller ones, because you and a lot of other liberals are out to punish anyone who voted for the guy who won in 2016. I think Trump would have walked the 2020 election if it wasn't for COVID-19. Treating him like a fringe candidate, and people who support him like terrorists and sex offenders, does nothing but shrink the tent and feed the "Orange man bad" memes. Palmer walked away fine, but a lot of the right-wing base of white, non-college educated men is looking at poorer and poorer job prospects every generation, and what they see is left-wing elitists, the flyover country lol crowd, shoving people out of their jobs for voting Republican. It doesn't win elections or win over anyone's mind, it just demonstrates a vindictive refusal to work with the other 47% of the populace.

Why do you think Obama said what he did? Because he hates gay marriage and supports the Capitol rioters?

Jun 29, 2021, 16:24
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 16:24
Jun 29, 2021, 16:24

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 15:57:
Primalchrome wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 09:23:
First, there was no court case until he made one.
Second, if he lost work due to unsubstantiated rumors, then he should bring a wrongful termination suit against those corporations. Instead he's choosing to use the courts against those with the least resources to defend themselves, the women in this story.
Third, not only is he choosing a type of lawsuit that is hard to win, his tactics in executing the suit are making it even harder (presenting a poorly prepared complaint, pushing to be considered a public person, filing in CA, pushing to move venue to the defendant-friendly LA courts, etc.).
What all of this points to is that he seems less concerned about truly winning the case, and more concerned with the optics ("I'm fighting to clear my name!") and punishing the women who called him out.
But maybe he has some smoking gun that will completely prove that these multiple complaints against him was all a conspiracy. I guess we'll find out.

I don't like the way you've worded your second point, he is bringing the case against those who started this issue for him, period. If he chose to file suit against the companies for termination it would be one person against multiple companies and their respective buckets of money to fight against - and the root cause of the termination would not be addressed. How he chooses to pursue his case is his business, and stands or falls on the choices that have been made. Of the choices he could make, this is the one he pursued because that has the most value to him, which from his account, is about lies.

The only intent I can see is he wants a confession, under oath - about what was said and actions that were taken as they relate to this event.

Jun 29, 2021, 16:14
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 16:14
Jun 29, 2021, 16:14

Quinn wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 12:03:
Most others define being canceled as getting fired for particular reasons, or getting an insane amount of pressure to resign, or having your reputation utterly destroyed for something utterly ridiculous -- often causing you to have a hard time finding a new job.

Oh, you don't mean cancelling, you mean "accountability." You mean being held accountable for the things you say and do.

Yeah, that's not cancelling, kiddo. That's grown up life.

Employers are under no obligation to retain you, and California is an at-will employment state. And guess what? Consumers are under no obligation to support companies that employ people who do and say horrific things. So when companies feel like someone is more trouble than they're worth, those people are held accountable for their actions and are let go.

It's also very telling that in your argument about cancel culture, you don't mention Colin Kapernick, and aren't demanding the NFL put him on a team immediately.

Jun 29, 2021, 16:11
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 16:11
Jun 29, 2021, 16:11

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 15:38:
someone in the know want to sum this up?

did he beat the complaints and found a leg to stand on against them? I'm not even sure (since I cant' click the old tweets) what happened.
He was accused of somewhat predatory behavior by a couple of women (plying them with drinks then trying to take advantage of them). When that came to light, the companies he was working with terminated their relationship with him, since most employment in the US is "at will" and most contracts have a termination clause for stuff like this. So he didn't beat the complaints, which is why he's filing suit that the women libeled him causing him harm (the work termination). I guess we'll find out in court a year from now whether he has a leg to stand on or not. Stay tuned.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 29, 2021, 16:05
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 16:05
Jun 29, 2021, 16:05

Slashman wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 13:14:
SJW-ified geek girls back-doored their way into the hobby / coerced (read: brainwashed) / hating white males / conspiring to cancel them / You can laugh if you want / good people in this industry
DRINK❕

He can't respond right now. He's passed out. Hungover
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 29, 2021, 15:57
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 15:57
Jun 29, 2021, 15:57

Mmm....an awful lot of grandstanding on both sides of the aisle on this one. Sadly, I think, just for attention rather than addressing the issues. Sexual predation (particularly for men in power) is a dark truth some blindly deny and throw tantrums defending human garbage they have no knowledge of. Cancel culture and rampant knee-jerk redaction is childish mob rule. I'm not sure why most rational adults don't condemn both as cancers on society.

Avellone seems like a self promoting ass....who at the very least seems to treat women poorly. But just like the Aziz Ansari situation...that doesn't automatically qualify you as a 'sexual predator'. Give the man his day in court. If he's the victim of a hit piece, hopefully he has enough evidence to put paid to the situation. If he's just looking to skirt the repercussions of his actions, hopefully he falls further into the flames.
So few thoughts here.
First, there was no court case until he made one.
Second, if he lost work due to unsubstantiated rumors, then he should bring a wrongful termination suit against those corporations. Instead he's choosing to use the courts against those with the least resources to defend themselves, the women in this story.
Third, not only is he choosing a type of lawsuit that is hard to win, his tactics in executing the suit are making it even harder (presenting a poorly prepared complaint, pushing to be considered a public person, filing in CA, pushing to move venue to the defendant-friendly LA courts, etc.).
What all of this points to is that he seems less concerned about truly winning the case, and more concerned with the optics ("I'm fighting to clear my name!") and punishing the women who called him out.
But maybe he has some smoking gun that will completely prove that these multiple complaints against him was all a conspiracy. I guess we'll find out.

Jun 29, 2021, 15:38
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 15:38
Jun 29, 2021, 15:38

someone in the know want to sum this up?

did he beat the complaints and found a leg to stand on against them? I'm not even sure (since I cant' click the old tweets) what happened.

Jun 29, 2021, 15:23
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 15:23
Jun 29, 2021, 15:23

Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 06:57:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 28, 2021, 21:23:
Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2021, 21:17:
Innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law.

That's so 90s. Now it's the other way around because we have things like Twitter and the court of public opinion where even if you're innocent you're still guilty of something. Gossip

Oh, so in the 90s I'm sure you stood up for OJ. Even now. The criminal court said innocent
LOL, when I first read Cutter's comments, the OJ case immediately came to mind.

Jun 29, 2021, 14:26
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 14:26
Jun 29, 2021, 14:26

"cancel culture", any accountability I don't like.

Just saying.

Jun 29, 2021, 13:14
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 13:14

DRINK❕

Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 13:14

Orogogus wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 11:25:

Palmer Luckey was let go from Facebook/Oculus basically for being a Republican. At the time, people were throwing a fit about anti-immigrant tweets his girlfriend had liked, or a photograph of him with a rightwing Internet guy, and $10,000 he gave to a Trump PAC that made one fairly bland anti-Hillary billboard. Customers were demanding that Facebook get rid of him, developers were refusing to work with Oculus unless that happened. Your argument at the time, IIRC, is that he made people (i.e., liberals) uncomfortable and therefore Facebook had no choice but to let him go, and I think it's pretty shit. He never assaulted anyone or committed any crimes, but he gave money to help the guy who won the election so people demanded that Facebook screw with his employment.

You're missing a few important things here:
1) He was making donations that would reduce the rights of a certain group of people, specifically. That group of people is one that is heavily employed by Facebook, and a large part of their money. Palmer was a key executive. When key executives use some of their salary to deny rights they have to significant parts of your employee base, vendor base, and user base, well, that won't go over well.

2) He hid that he was doing this, which, again, is not something companies generally like from key executives

3) He received a NINE FIGURE golden parachute

4) He then received significant VC funding to start a new company

5) That company has significant government contracts at the moment

So he was "canceled" into being the nine-figure-net-worth founder of a major defense contractor? Sign me up for that.

And this isn't new. If you don't think companies were having to let go of executives because of things they said or did that pissed off partners and consumers 100 years ago... I know you don't think this. What you think is that he was just "making a donation." You'll always see Trump as just a political opinion. You likely saw gay marriage as a political decision. You likely think that what happened at the Capitol was just normal tourism.

Jun 29, 2021, 12:30
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 12:30
Jun 29, 2021, 12:30

Overon wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 12:20:
I predict this is going to be the most popular thread on Bluesnews.
pfft
It'll never reach 50 posts.

Jun 29, 2021, 12:20
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 12:20
Jun 29, 2021, 12:20

I predict this is going to be the most popular thread on Bluesnews.

Jun 29, 2021, 12:03
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 12:03
Jun 29, 2021, 12:03

Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 10:49:
Cancel culture and rampant knee-jerk redaction is childish mob rule. I'm not sure why most rational adults don't condemn both as cancers on society.

Because... it doesn't really exist? It's a nice, scary label to put onto something that's normal and has always happened?

How many people can you name that have been "cancelled?" Milo, for one. Maybe a handful of people that said something dumb in the past on Twitter that hurt their company. But how many have actually been canceled?

Trump said things like "grab her by the pussy." He became President.
Trump also tried his best to cancel the NFL and Nike. Both are thriving.

For as long as people have paid other people to do things, they've withheld the right to not pay those people if they think those people are dicks. That is all that happens today. But, give it a scary term and it's terrifying. Joe Rogan, a man that is getting paid $100M to do a podcast in which he routinely whines about how COVID doesn't exist (essentially), thinks cancel culture is an issue. But he's getting paid $100M to talk to people like Alex Jones about how he doesn't believe in cancel culture and how gay frogs are.

So yeah, I'm not really sure it's a thing. The majority of people "canceled" either were sex offenders that can no longer be insured to work anywhere, or weren't actually canceled and are actually making even more money now than before.

There's this guy again, with his head jn the sand of a particular hill he still wants to die on. The "cancel culture doesn't exist" hill. Gimme a break. I think you define being canceled as being canceled from reality. Sure, Beamer, you're right: nobody got canceled from existence.
Most others define being canceled as getting fired for particular reasons, or getting an insane amount of pressure to resign, or having your reputation utterly destroyed for something utterly ridiculous -- often causing you to have a hard time finding a new job.

Gina Carano comes to mind. Bret Weinstein comes to mind. Mimi Groves, ever heard of her? She exclaimed she got her drivers license in a video, and sadly finished said exclamation with the N-word. Also, she was 15 years old (in a world where every rap-song contains said word averagely twenty-six times). Got kicked out of school 4 years later when that video surfaced.

The list goes on forever, and if I had an hour to waste to lecture you, I would go on.

The fact that most victims of cancel culture don't poof out of existence and manage to make something of their life or even got out the other end better, doesn't mean cancel culture doesn't exist. Hell, even our hero Obama acknowledges its existence. And not only that! He warns about its danger.

So yeah, get off that hill. But first, maybe -- just maybe! -- you could try to get that head out of the sand.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2021, 12:32.

Jun 29, 2021, 11:48
NKD
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 11:48
Jun 29, 2021, 11:48
NKD

I'm not sure why most rational adults don't condemn both as cancers on society.

I guess because it's essentially "old man yells at cloud" levels of pointless?

"Cancel culture" is the combination of two things. The first being people not wanting to associate with certain other people, for various reasons. This has always existed in humanity and probably before we were identifiable as humans too. Different religious beliefs, a bad reputation, or simply financial liability. The second thing is social media. Social media allows much higher volume and frequency of communication between and about people so it's really just an amplifying effect of everything else we were already doing.

You can't force someone to like someone else, or extend the benefit of the doubt to everyone. Likewise you can't ban people from communicating with each other about other people.

So what's the proposed solution here? A public awareness campaign about how people who have a grievance with another person or persons should just shut up and keep it to themselves?
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Jun 29, 2021, 11:25
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 11:25
Jun 29, 2021, 11:25

Cancel culture and rampant knee-jerk redaction is childish mob rule. I'm not sure why most rational adults don't condemn both as cancers on society.

Because... it doesn't really exist? It's a nice, scary label to put onto something that's normal and has always happened?

How many people can you name that have been "cancelled?" Milo, for one. Maybe a handful of people that said something dumb in the past on Twitter that hurt their company. But how many have actually been canceled?

For as long as people have paid other people to do things, they've withheld the right to not pay those people if they think those people are dicks. That is all that happens today. But, give it a scary term and it's terrifying. Joe Rogan, a man that is getting paid $100M to do a podcast in which he routinely whines about how COVID doesn't exist (essentially), thinks cancel culture is an issue. But he's getting paid $100M to talk to people like Alex Jones about how he doesn't believe in cancel culture and how gay frogs are.

So yeah, I'm not really sure it's a thing. The majority of people "canceled" either were sex offenders that can no longer be insured to work anywhere, or weren't actually canceled and are actually making even more money now than before.

Is Obama a rightwing kook? He seems to think cancel culture and wokeness is a problem.

Jun 29, 2021, 10:55
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 10:55
Jun 29, 2021, 10:55

The above was well written, that takes time, thanks for taking that time.
144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older