Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit

Game writer Chris Avellone has filed a libel lawsuit over sexual misconduct allegations that surfaced against him one year ago (thanks D.M. Schmeyer via Gamasutra). Just yesterday we mentioned a few posts by Chris addressing the situation, and clearly these were related to the lawsuit. The defendants are listed as Karissa Barrows, Kelly Bristol, and 100 Jane Does, and the complaint includes a demand for jury trial. Part of it alleges conspiratorial behavior:
Avellone is informed and believes, and based thereon alleges, that at all times herein mentioned, each unnamed Defendant was the agent of the other named Defendant(s) herein, and at all times were and are acting within the purpose and scope of such agency, and with the permission and consent of his/her/its named co-Defendant(s) with knowledge, authorization, permission, consent, and/or subsequent ratification and approval of each co-Defendant. Avellone is further informed and believes, and based thereon alleges, that each named and unnamed Defendant knowingly and willfully conspired and agreed among themselves to deprive Avellone of his rights and to cause the damages described herein.
View : : :
144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit
Jun 29, 2021, 10:49
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 10:49
Jun 29, 2021, 10:49

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 09:23:
Cancel culture and rampant knee-jerk redaction is childish mob rule. I'm not sure why most rational adults don't condemn both as cancers on society.

Because... it doesn't really exist? It's a nice, scary label to put onto something that's normal and has always happened?

How many people can you name that have been "cancelled?" Milo, for one. Maybe a handful of people that said something dumb in the past on Twitter that hurt their company. But how many have actually been canceled?

Trump said things like "grab her by the pussy." He became President.
Trump also tried his best to cancel the NFL and Nike. Both are thriving.

For as long as people have paid other people to do things, they've withheld the right to not pay those people if they think those people are dicks. That is all that happens today. But, give it a scary term and it's terrifying. Joe Rogan, a man that is getting paid $100M to do a podcast in which he routinely whines about how COVID doesn't exist (essentially), thinks cancel culture is an issue. But he's getting paid $100M to talk to people like Alex Jones about how he doesn't believe in cancel culture and how gay frogs are.

So yeah, I'm not really sure it's a thing. The majority of people "canceled" either were sex offenders that can no longer be insured to work anywhere, or weren't actually canceled and are actually making even more money now than before.

Jun 29, 2021, 10:14
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 10:14
Jun 29, 2021, 10:14

Actually this is a civil case which means no one is guilty, they defendants are either liable or not liable to some extent. In a civil case the only form of restitution is just money damages. Also libel cases are almost impossible to prove in the USA.

Jun 29, 2021, 10:00
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 10:00
Jun 29, 2021, 10:00

Squirmer wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 01:03:

Totally understand this perspective. At the same time, deleting old tweets doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you had a small army of gamers throwing your old tweets at you as she presumably did, you might be inclined to delete them just to shut people up. Happy photos don't prove absence of abuse, etc. Basically it seems impossible for any of us to know the truth right now.

>deleting old tweets doesn't necessarily mean anything

No but the timing I find suspect. And if his statement is accurate she just didn't delete a few but thousands including those of them together and her posting positive things about him after the alleged incident, anything that would counteract her narrative. Again I find that suspect and done with intent to obscure some truths she finds damaging to her claims. If you were confient in your claims there wouldn't be anything worth to hide.

>Happy photos don't prove absence of abuse

No. But those of your alleged abuser raises questions. If I was sexually assaulted I wouldn't be hanging out, posting pics with said attacker drinking with them after they attacked me, in the SAME POSITION I claim got be attacked in the first place (out drinking with them). Either her claims are false on some level or she isn't that bright and willfully puts herself in harms way which opens many other questions about her. So which is it?

I also find it interesting you totally ignored the fact of her social media reactions of those that let chris go. I get it, does not play well into her narrative, those actions makes her come off as a bitter, vindictive lady more so then a victim.

Again before the predictable replies, I am certainly not saying chris isn't drinking his own koolaid or some of the other points others have made about him in this thread. He has his faults, he certainly wasn't a fan of me when I ran nwn2news, most all the big devs working on nwn2 liked talking to me but he gave me the cold shoulder all the time. So I am certainly not a fanboy of his by any stretch lol, but simply looking at the facts that we have. And being a egomaniac jerk does not make a sexual predator by default is my only point. And the facts that we have thus far I find more then a few issues with as noted above.

Jun 29, 2021, 09:23
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 09:23
Jun 29, 2021, 09:23

Mmm....an awful lot of grandstanding on both sides of the aisle on this one. Sadly, I think, just for attention rather than addressing the issues. Sexual predation (particularly for men in power) is a dark truth some blindly deny and throw tantrums defending human garbage they have no knowledge of. Cancel culture and rampant knee-jerk redaction is childish mob rule. I'm not sure why most rational adults don't condemn both as cancers on society.

Avellone seems like a self promoting ass....who at the very least seems to treat women poorly. But just like the Aziz Ansari situation...that doesn't automatically qualify you as a 'sexual predator'. Give the man his day in court. If he's the victim of a hit piece, hopefully he has enough evidence to put paid to the situation. If he's just looking to skirt the repercussions of his actions, hopefully he falls further into the flames.

Jun 29, 2021, 09:05
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 09:05
Jun 29, 2021, 09:05

roguebanshee wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 08:58:
Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2021, 21:17:
Innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law.
Indeed, those women are innocent until a court of law proves them guilty.
beautiful
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 29, 2021, 08:58
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 08:58
Jun 29, 2021, 08:58

Indeed, those women are innocent until a court of law proves them guilty.

Jun 29, 2021, 07:54
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 07:54
Jun 29, 2021, 07:54

The sad thing is, he used to be a damn good writer. But instead of continuing to hone his craft, he just started to believe his own PR and his output went to shit. People noticed, and stopped giving him props for it, so rather than take that as a sign he should re-assess, his ego latched on to the nearest echo chamber to make himself feel better. At that point, the only places that would touch him were places who were too inexperienced to do a proper background check, or too stupid to care. And eventually he became so toxic, that even those places couldn't keep him on the payroll. So yes, he was a victim -- of his own hubris. And instead of checking that, he's doubling down, which will end well for nobody. Least of all, him.

Jun 29, 2021, 07:30
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 07:30
Jun 29, 2021, 07:30

SJW-ified geek girls back-doored their way into the hobby / coerced (read: brainwashed) / hating white males / conspiring to cancel them / You can laugh if you want / good people in this industry
DRINK❕
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 29, 2021, 07:11
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 07:11
Jun 29, 2021, 07:11

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 03:09:
What the fuck? New Zealand is dying?
Yes, sadly there are only 4.9 million left !
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Jun 29, 2021, 07:00
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 07:00
Jun 29, 2021, 07:00

Icewind wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 03:42:
You can laugh if you want, but it's the truth and there have been talks for years amongst the good people in this industry on who will have the guts and the money to fight back at them.

Buddy, no one posting something so dripping with misogyny should think he can identify who "good people" are

"But it wasn't misogynist!" will cry the man that just posted about how much he hates women in gaming

Jun 29, 2021, 06:57
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 06:57
Jun 29, 2021, 06:57

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 28, 2021, 21:23:

That's so 90s. Now it's the other way around because we have things like Twitter and the court of public opinion where even if you're innocent you're still guilty of something. Gossip

Oh, so in the 90s I'm sure you stood up for OJ. Even now. The criminal court said innocent

Jun 29, 2021, 06:33
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 06:33
Jun 29, 2021, 06:33

By the written record this guy is a lifetime drama queen. He is now jockeying for Qanon follower marterdom with vague hopes of eventually landing a writing gig with one of those deluded outlets like Faux News.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Jun 29, 2021, 05:30
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 05:30
Jun 29, 2021, 05:30

A couple of lawyers comment in the Kotaku story:
The first:
A few things (I’m an attorney that dabbles in some defamation cases in the greater LA area). The complaint itself is pretty terribly written and seems to be written for the purposes of media consumption...Finally, he is trying to position himself as a public figure being taken down by vile women, but of course that elevates his burden to succeed in a defamation action.
The second:
The major problem is that he has basically, in the suit and his activity since filing, rather effectively made the argument that he is a public figure. That means he has a much, much, MUCH higher hurdle to leap then otherwise. Another, related problem is that he has basically agreed that, broadly, some of the events did occur. For example, he did buy the defendant drinks, he did hit on her, he did engage in physical activity with her (kissing and heavy petting), and he did take her to a hotel room. That she believes the encounter to be predatory isn’t something he can easily disprove. He basically would have to prove that she believes something different. I don’t think that’s possible especially because he basically says the events occurred but he feels differently about the encounter. He’d have to prove he never bought her a drink (which he admitted he did) or that he wasn’t there (he stated he was there).
If I were one of these defendants and I say Avellone take my drunk friend up to a hotel room then come back and hit on different women in the bar, I could easily form the opinion that he is a predatory scumbag. If I then go on social media and say “Chris Avellone is a predatory scum bag. He took my drunk friend up to her hotel room and made out with her and when she didn’t put out, he came back down and tried the same thing with other women.” That’s an opinion, and it’s likely not going to meet the actual malice standard. On the other hand, if he’s got some texts saying “I’m making this shit about Chris up to fuck him over. LOL”, that’d be pretty handy but I’d wonder why he didn’t try to use that to not get fired and have his rep ruined.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 29, 2021, 05:12
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 05:12
Jun 29, 2021, 05:12

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 04:03:
mildew wrote on Jun 28, 2021, 23:13:
In '89 i was falsely accused of rape, then days later was beaten by vigilante's until i had multiple severe head injuries. The system ( cops, judges, community, family ) in NZ called them the heroes and me the monster. I was an adolescent male so did not give up on life, but within 5 years the brain damage and trauma had broken me. The closest thing i ever will have to justice is seeing the country that did this to me starting to die. And its happening - at long last!

It's being bought up by rich Americans as a place to escape to when the zombie apocalypse hits.

Someone should tell them it's now apparently a very bad investment, we have it on good authority from a random person on the internet.

Jun 29, 2021, 04:03
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 04:03
Jun 29, 2021, 04:03

In '89 i was falsely accused of rape, then days later was beaten by vigilante's until i had multiple severe head injuries. The system ( cops, judges, community, family ) in NZ called them the heroes and me the monster. I was an adolescent male so did not give up on life, but within 5 years the brain damage and trauma had broken me. The closest thing i ever will have to justice is seeing the country that did this to me starting to die. And its happening - at long last!

It's being bought up by rich Americans as a place to escape to when the zombie apocalypse hits.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 29, 2021, 03:56
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 03:56
Jun 29, 2021, 03:56

Icewind wrote on Jun 29, 2021, 03:42:
I hope this scares these SJW-ified geek girls that back-doored their way into the hobby and were coerced (read: brainwashed) into hating white males and conspiring to cancel them out of the industry. You can laugh if you want, but it's the truth and there have been talks for years amongst the good people in this industry on who will have the guts and the money to fight back at them.

You're right - most of the people in this industry want to laugh at you, except it's just so pathetic, we only feel sorry for you instead.

Jun 29, 2021, 03:42
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 03:42
Jun 29, 2021, 03:42

I hope this scares these SJW-ified geek girls that back-doored their way into the hobby and were coerced (read: brainwashed) into hating white males and conspiring to cancel them out of the industry. You can laugh if you want, but it's the truth and there have been talks for years amongst the good people in this industry on who will have the guts and the money to fight back at them.

Looks like Avellone is that one. Good luck to him.

Jun 29, 2021, 03:40
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 03:40
Jun 29, 2021, 03:40

Yeh, last I looked it seemed pretty alive. All things considered with the world.

Jun 29, 2021, 03:09
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 03:09
Jun 29, 2021, 03:09

Jun 29, 2021, 02:19
Re: Chris Avellone Files Libel Suit Jun 29, 2021, 02:19
Jun 29, 2021, 02:19

Thanks for your quick answer. I was writing a better post meanwhile.

Not at all, and congrats !
My wondering was based on your nuanced and sensitive posts, rather unusual :
You see some proverbial raging bulls in china shops here

144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older