Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Is now available for PC and consoles. You can pick up the Windows edition on Steam without even needing to roll a D20. Here is the Official Launch Cinematic Trailer (accept no substitutes). The first reviews for the D&D action/RPG started rolling out yesterday, and you can find a roundup of those in this thread. Here's word on the game:
Featuring real-time combat and dynamic co-op gameplay, Dark Alliance pits Drizzt Do’Urden and his legendary companions – Catti-brie, Bruenor, and Wulfgar – against some of the most iconic monsters from the Forgotten Realms of Dungeons & Dragons. Frost Giants, Beholders, and White Dragons roam the frozen tundra of Icewind Dale in search of the Crystal Shard— and it’s up to the companions to muster the strength to stop them from claiming and using it to destroy their home.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released
Jun 26, 2021, 05:35
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 26, 2021, 05:35
Jun 26, 2021, 05:35

You have an inventory. Just tap M when on Kelvin's Cairn. There's also a fuckload of combat moves you have to find out yourself, like old times.

Here's a review with a different take on the game. One that I myself, Dark and my gaming buddy share.

PC Gamer Review

Jun 22, 2021, 19:48
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 19:48
Jun 22, 2021, 19:48

This game has the worst combat I've ever played in an action game hands down. I wasn't expecting much when I installed it, but I figured I'd give it a go since I have game pass. I chose to play on a higher difficulty, despite the game not explaining anything about the differences, because I wanted to see how it was as a struggle. The gaping holes in the mechanics become very clear when you don't kill everything instantly.

In the end I just closed the game and uninstalled it without bothering to lower the difficulty, because at best it's an extremely poor early access style release. Honestly the game struck me more as something which had been mobile first and shifted to console/pc later.

Here's a handful of observations:

-There's a built in auto aim of sorts which can shift your attacking target mid combat (it will still be a target near you, but it might be to the side of where you're aiming now)

-enemy attacks will randomly shift mid animation to you, even if you're evading

-some enemy attacks have a much larger radius than the animation, and in the case of the heavy damage ones these can effectively 1 shot you

-if you lock on to a target it zooms in and flattens the camera to the floor

-jump attacks are completely impossible to control (worst for me was trying to jump into a pack to slam and somehow instead landing on the mobs, unable to do anything and just dying)

-you cannot knock enemies off of cliffs etc, but you can fall off of them (I'd read the pcg review so I was prepared for this and didn't go off myself, but definitely saw the mobs hitting the invisible wall multiple times)

-playing with kb/m I had to practically max horizontal movement in the settings to even come close to decent camera movement

-I may have missed it, but there doesn't appear to be a player inventory per se, but rather an npc in town who gives access to it.

Jun 22, 2021, 19:36
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 19:36
Jun 22, 2021, 19:36

I thought this review was great...;) He pulls no punches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEOF-Aa1Rk
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Jun 22, 2021, 19:34
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 19:34
Jun 22, 2021, 19:34

Watching streams, yeah this game is a stinker. They must of had financial issue and MS should even take some responsibility letting this release on their platform.

It would be at least 6 months and a total dedication to fixing this. So far ZERO from the company who released this.

There are just things happening here that should not happen in a release or in the indiest of indy games and 80% of what I play is coop like Darks, but come on...

I've seen things today, I cannot unsee.

Jun 22, 2021, 19:26
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 19:26
Jun 22, 2021, 19:26

CrushBug wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 16:00:
Darks wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 15:43:
Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 15:31:
BTW Darks, are you making a new NWN module or something? I keep seeing you going in and out of it on Steam all the time.
LOL, no, but there is something good coming and a reason why I have been going through my mods these past several weeks.
/waves at Darks

Haha! Ok, something's cooking here!
👩‍🍳
"When you're a Jet you're the swinginest thing. Little boy, you're a man, little man, you're a king!"

Jun 22, 2021, 18:48
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 18:48
Jun 22, 2021, 18:48

FloodAnxiety wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 16:57:
But I'm glad that someone who has played only the very first level thinks it is a good game.

I WANT this game to be good, but I'm going to have to hold out until I get more data from folks who have played the entire game. Too many games put all of their polish into the first few levels and then by the end of the game it is just not polished.

If all of this game's polish is in the beginning then the later levels must be hellish.

The game deserves every bit of hate that it has gotten. If you're not playing it for free on Gamepass, don't play it...and even then, I don't think it's worth your time. The animations are stiff and awkward, the AI basically doesn't function at all, the voice acting is awful, the controls aren't responsive, the stamina system is just stupid, and more. If you play as Catti-Brie you can literally stand at max range and kill anything without it attacking you because the AI doesn't engage until you get closer. They'll even still stand there talking to each other and having a conversation while you shoot them.

If you're determined to try it, don't buy the game and just get a month of gamepass instead. That way you still have a month to play something worth playing after you quit and uninstall it.

Jun 22, 2021, 16:59
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 16:59
Jun 22, 2021, 16:59

CrushBug wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 16:00:
BTW Darks, are you making a new NWN module or something? I keep seeing you going in and out of it on Steam all the time.

Hi CrushBug!

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2021, 18:15.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Jun 22, 2021, 16:57
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 16:57
Jun 22, 2021, 16:57

The reviews were not positive. The gameplay looks a little janky from videos. Gwen is a @#!@#!@ ghost cat... Wolfgar shoots hammers out of his hammer... this is not exactly a great representation of these heroes we know and love.

The art style is... somehow in the uncanny valley... despite it clearly being cartoon like. Something is just... awkward about it. I can't put my thumb on it.

But I'm glad that someone who has played only the very first level thinks it is a good game.

I WANT this game to be good, but I'm going to have to hold out until I get more data from folks who have played the entire game. Too many games put all of their polish into the first few levels and then by the end of the game it is just not polished.

Jun 22, 2021, 16:00
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 16:00
Jun 22, 2021, 16:00

LOL, no, but there is something good coming and a reason why I have been going through my mods these past several weeks.
/waves at Darks

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2021, 18:28.
Derek French
Live Ops Producer
Beamdog

Jun 22, 2021, 15:45
Verno

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:45
Jun 22, 2021, 15:45
 Verno

Checking it out later tonight but what concerned me based on reviews/streamers who all logged a lot of time in it:

- Whifflebat syndrome. Lack of feedback on many hits, weird lack of reaction animations to many over the top attacks
- Sound design seemed very amateurish
- Music sounded generic and forgettable
- Area aesthetics very good but actual level layout and design very limited and generic
- Most commented on technical issues and lack of polish
- PC port apparently quite barebones/afterthought

Anyways I'll post my own impressions later on.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jun 22, 2021, 15:43
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:43
Jun 22, 2021, 15:43

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2021, 18:10.

Jun 22, 2021, 15:31
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:31
Jun 22, 2021, 15:31

"When you're a Jet you're the swinginest thing. Little boy, you're a man, little man, you're a king!"

Jun 22, 2021, 15:20
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:20

Thanks RedEye, already tried that. the key bindings are non existent in the config file. Not sure where they are keeping them. also looked the the steam folder, nothing there but one file that has nothing to do with the bindings.

Been using AutoHotKey until they hopefully fix this.

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:20

I just started playing Solasta: Crown of hte magister last night and boom a D&D game comes out.. always happens like this.

Jun 22, 2021, 15:13
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:13
Jun 22, 2021, 15:13

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 15:04:
Darks, you're the *second* person I've run across with overall positive commentary. All other people/streamers/letsplay/reviews were uniformly 'meh'. All said the same thing (which held up while watching the gameplay footage), that it is buggy and the pacing/responsiveness doesn't lend to an exciting playthrough.

The jury is still out for me. It still *looks* fun....and I know I've loved a number of the same games as Darks. Still have concerns for 10+ hours of enjoyment. Who am I kidding? I'll probably break down and buy it this weekend. LOL

I'm not hard to please with my games. and as I said, when it comes to DnD, I'm always on board. I can tolerate a lot of things in a game being buggy, but as long as its not game breaking. Like I said, we played the first mission, I have not had a chance to play anymore since I'm at work. Ill get more time in tonight. but our experience so far was good. No issues found!

As for the pacing, well that ones the party and the pace you decide to go at, we ran into all kinds of encounters, yes there are some places that are not enemy filled, but why would you fill the entire map with non stop encounters? There are hidden areas that are worth looking for and exploring, that's a big part of what DnD is all about too. We ran into several types of traps that you had to try and navigate through to get to a chest, to me that was also fun.

Anyway, I'm of the thought that a lot of gamers these days have gotten to spoiled, and don't appreciate games like they did when they started playing games.

Not me, I always in the mood for a good Dungeon romp.

Jun 22, 2021, 15:09
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:09
Jun 22, 2021, 15:09

As an FYI it's available on XGP.

Jun 22, 2021, 15:04
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:04
Jun 22, 2021, 15:04

Darks, you're the *second* person I've run across with overall positive commentary. All other people/streamers/letsplay/reviews were uniformly 'meh'. All said the same thing (which held up while watching the gameplay footage), that it is buggy and the pacing/responsiveness doesn't lend to an exciting playthrough.

The jury is still out for me. It still *looks* fun....and I know I've loved a number of the same games as Darks. Still have concerns for 10+ hours of enjoyment. Who am I kidding? I'll probably break down and buy it this weekend. LOL

Jun 22, 2021, 15:02
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 15:02
Jun 22, 2021, 15:02

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Dark_Alliance
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jun 22, 2021, 14:54
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 14:54
Jun 22, 2021, 14:54

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 14:27:
To Darks,

It's been repeated by many now.

It seems the game can be fun, but it needs patches and we'll see what kind of support it gets, the feeling to me is it was rushed out the door, probably for financial reasons, but there is something there worth honing.

A lot of gamers will still try it with gamepass, it won't take long before a proper consensus is made.

That's very true, I can get on board with someone who has at least sat down and gave the game a good try. But not someone who played the game for 0.3 hours and then goes and review bombs the game. I have little respect for anyone like that.

I know from my personal experience, that I have had a fun with the game Coop. Soloing is where some are not caring for the ride, but again, the devs were very clear that this game was designed for Coop.

My only biggest real grip with the game is the lack of key bindings. you can not rebind the movement keys. That is a moral sin in any pc game to not allow those keys to be rebind. I'm left handed, so I use the Arrow keys, yeah I'm weird like that. But some people don't use WASD, they use the EDSF keys. my other friend uses those. So this they have got to fix.

No idea where they are storing the config for this either, Its not in the config they have on the AppData folder.

Jun 22, 2021, 14:27
Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Released Jun 22, 2021, 14:27
Jun 22, 2021, 14:27

To Darks,

It's been repeated by many now.

It seems the game can be fun, but it needs patches and we'll see what kind of support it gets, the feeling to me is it was rushed out the door, probably for financial reasons, but there is something there worth honing.

A lot of gamers will still try it with gamepass, it won't take long before a proper consensus is made.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older