AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches

Advanced Micro Devices has officially launched AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution, which promises framerate boosts and high-quality high-resolution gaming experiences thanks to the use of "cutting edge" upscaling technologies. You can find all the details on what this involves in this press release and this blog post. Here's word on what this supports to start with, and plans to expand the program in the future:
Today, AMD launched FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), its cutting-edge, open-source spatial upscaling technology, designed to boost framerates and deliver a high-quality, high-resolution gaming experience.

More than 40 developers plan to support and integrate FSR into top titles and game engines. And beginning today, FSR is available in seven exciting titles: Anno 1800, Evil Genius 2, Godfall, Kingshunt, 22 Racing Series, Terminator: Resistance and The Riftbreaker, with additional games expected to provide support by the end of 2021.

FSR is supported on more than 100 AMD GPUs and processors, as well as on competitive graphics solutions, to benefit all gamers. Providing up to 2.4X higher performance at 4K across select titles compared to native resolution, FSR was designed for easy integration into new and existing titles across a wide range of platforms.

FSR is expected to be broadly available to game developers in mid-July 2021 as a free download for the AMD GPUOpen community.
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches
Jun 22, 2021, 19:27
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 19:27
Jun 22, 2021, 19:27

Actually just checked and I've seen a few cards for sale at stores like Canada Computers...all 100%+ over MSRP. $1700 for a 6800XT? Give me a fucking break!
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Jun 22, 2021, 17:24
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 17:24
Jun 22, 2021, 17:24

Huzsar wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 17:12:
I also have no idea what the you are talking about calling DF Nvidia fanboys, they have praised AMD CPUs.

You must've missed the last 8 months and lived under a rock since RTX got released...

Hint: Look up Zen3 review in DF's youtube channel.

Their excuse? Too busy with consoles when consoles released 1 week AFTER Zen3. I mean it's only been 8 months, maybe they haven't gotten around to reviewing on their Youtube channel the best CPUs AMD released in the last 10 years? *shrugs*

Sorry but GN as well as HUB and various other outlets too also clearly stated it was better than pre 2.0 DLSS by a considerable margin ( so not only 1.0, but subsequent releases upto 2.0 ). The only one that shit on FSR/AMD in general and continues to shit on it is DF. Heck, just watch their FSR E3 preview video from I think last week. Just look at their faces and reactions, they look disgusted and pissed they have to talk about it during the whole thing then go into full fanboy mode for Doom RTX just after, especially Alex, their main guy for this tech. It's night and day.

If you haven't noticed the trend with DF the last few years, you haven't been paying attention. As far as I know, it's the only outlet that went so far into the pale as to completely ignore AMD's greatest achievement on their Youtube channel in the last 10 years. Pretty much all the others have been quite fair and balanced in their coverage even Jayz2cents, which is quite telling.

P.S.: I know they got reviews on the website, but if you want to give exposure, YT is where it's at. Very few still read website reviews instead of just watching the vids.

Jun 22, 2021, 17:21
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 17:21
Jun 22, 2021, 17:21

Huzsar wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 17:12:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 16:16:

Well considering that DLSS 1.0 made the picture look worse, that is not a hard bar to beat.

LOL'z that sounds like my brother, until he could afford an Nvidia card.

Jun 22, 2021, 17:12
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 17:12
Jun 22, 2021, 17:12

Simon Says wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 16:16:
According to GN and HUB's graphical quality analysis, it's already better than DLSS 1.0 @ 4K Q and UQ and 1440p UQ. On the other hand, DF is acting like their typical Nvidia fanboy again and has all but shit on it, predictable. Their info also states AMD will refine it further along the road.

My own hands on testing tends to go more the GN and HUB's way than DF.

As far as I'm concerned, it's already totally worth it on my GTX1060, that 40% perf boost is a godsend, in blind tests, as GN has shown, the differences are minimal and I must concur, UQ is almost indistinguishable from Native @ 1440p and 4K, unless you go pixel hunting, zoom in, etc. Not to mention it also works on 900 and 700 series Nvidia GPUs from some people's early testing. Also works with Vega and preliminary tests show it should also work on R300s and R200s.

Well considering that DLSS 1.0 made the picture look worse, that is not a hard bar to beat. I also have no idea what the you are talking about calling DF Nvidia fanboys, they have praised AMD CPUs, and were clear that GPUs were good as long as you do not use Raytracing or want DLSS.

GN and DF came to the same conclusion anyway that FSR is better then regular upscaling, but worse the DLSS or native resolution. Also GNs blind test was really crappy due to the game they picked and Youtube compression, the video artifacts made that comparison pretty much useless, with exception of few shots what when paused I could more clearly see the difference in texture work.

Still AMD making it available for everyone is great, even if its not as advanced as DLSS.

Jun 22, 2021, 16:16
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 16:16
Jun 22, 2021, 16:16

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 15:49:
Yep, it's a software solution, not hardware... That blog says it supports AMD cards as far back as the RX 400 and NVIDIA cards from GTX 1000 (both about 5 years old). While that means more people will benefit (I believe they're also looking to support this on the new consoles), it also means it will never be as good as DLSS.

According to GN and HUB's graphical quality analysis, it's already better than DLSS 1.0 @ 4K Q and UQ and 1440p UQ. On the other hand, DF is acting like their typical Nvidia fanboy again and has all but shit on it, predictable. Their info also states AMD will refine it further along the road.

My own hands on testing tends to go more the GN and HUB's way than DF.

As far as I'm concerned, it's already totally worth it on my GTX1060, that 40% perf boost is a godsend, in blind tests, as GN has shown, the differences are minimal and I must concur, UQ is almost indistinguishable from Native @ 1440p and 4K, unless you go pixel hunting, zoom in, etc. Not to mention it also works on 900 and 700 series Nvidia GPUs from some people's early testing. Also works with Vega and preliminary tests show it should also work on R300s and R200s.

Jun 22, 2021, 16:03
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 16:03
Jun 22, 2021, 16:03

Well for me I can finally play Anno 1800 on ultra high (2xAA though, since it flickers above that for some reason)

Jun 22, 2021, 15:49
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 15:49
Jun 22, 2021, 15:49

Yep, it's a software solution, not hardware... That blog says it supports AMD cards as far back as the RX 400 and NVIDIA cards from GTX 1000 (both about 5 years old). While that means more people will benefit (I believe they're also looking to support this on the new consoles), it also means it will never be as good as DLSS.

Jun 22, 2021, 15:35
Verno

Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 15:35
Jun 22, 2021, 15:35
 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2021, 15:15:
Well I'm sure this'll be super if and when their video cards ever materialize.

Actually you can use this on a lot of current and older cards from AMD and Nvidia right now, it's relatively hardware agnostic. That's sort of its big pro, that and its ease of implementation. It is fundamentally a little different from DLSS though and I do think existing solutions from UE5 will ultimately see stronger adoption. I think they intended this more as a stop-gap to sideline DLSS while ray-tracing adoption is in it's infancy. Time will tell how serious is AMD is about this, they really need to iterate on it quickly and their resources on the graphics side are not exactly the same level as Nvidia. I do think its inherently going to limit image quality results just by its nature of being a simple spatial scaler and that is a bit troubling.
Playing: Wildermyth, Mass Effect Legendary, Returnal
Watching: Deadwood, Dune, Evil

Jun 22, 2021, 15:15
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 15:15
Jun 22, 2021, 15:15

Well I'm sure this'll be super if and when their video cards ever materialize.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Jun 22, 2021, 15:03
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 15:03
Jun 22, 2021, 15:03

If you want to try it now for free, head over to Steam and download "The Riftbreaker" demo OR get your hands the Kingshunt open beta.

Warning, the games blurry even on Native with the always on TXAA, but setting my Pixio monitor's "super resolution" setting to low which applies a sharpening filter fixes it both at UQ and Native @1440p.

Looks pretty good to me. But down to Quality @1440p loses the magic. As HUB and GN said, 4K Quality and UQ makes for a very hard to discern blind test, same for 1440p UQ. But at 1080p, forget it even at UQ unless you don't mind a bit of blur.

Anything below those settings at the respective resolutions starts to look a bit like DLSS 1.0, and then much worse as the FSR settings and resolutions drop.

Have fun.

Jun 22, 2021, 14:29
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 14:29
Jun 22, 2021, 14:29

Sounds promising, getting a nice performance bump. We'll see...

Jun 22, 2021, 14:15
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 14:15
Jun 22, 2021, 14:15

Definately better potential then DLSS in the long term if the rumor mill is true on how little work is needed to implement it. The list of games is amusing though. The Riftbreaker isn't even out yet except for its demo. I'd say give it 6-12 months to see the true effect on its adoption by devs.

Jun 22, 2021, 13:18
Re: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Launches Jun 22, 2021, 13:18
Jun 22, 2021, 13:18

Kudos to AMD, whatever they did all games I had that are supported updated today to support it. So now I am off to test it with an Nvidia GPU of course
Evil Genius 2 - 500mb update and Anno 1800 1.6gb update ,)
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older