Star Control II Sequel Plans

A post to the Dogar And Kazon Blog reveals that the team that created the original Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters is at work on a sequel to the classic space combat game (thanks Brian). After part of the IP was sold to Stardock, the development team also known as Toys for Bob ended up embroiled in a legal battle over the Star Control rights. The lawsuits in this case were settled a couple of years ago, so hopefully there's a clear path ahead for this project without further litigation. His word on the plan:
After last week's short, cryptic announcement, several of you asked, "Where's the beef?!" Actually, none of you asked that (sadly, beef-related metaphors have been on the decline), so I will put this in simple, vegan terms: Fred and I have been working on UQM2 full time since Fall of last year. So far it's just the two of us, with Fred working loooong hours developing a cool new designer-friendly scripting system for gameplay, and me reading old sci-fi, drinking Mai Tais and trying to make something coherent out of almost 30 years of story notes and design sketches.

Our goal is to create a genuine sequel to the game we last worked-on in early 90’s -- something that feels like a seamless continuation of your best UQM memories. Selfishly perhaps, we also want to make the game our own way without any bosses, driven only by our own imaginations and that of the UQM community. To that end, we will soon be opening up a forum where the core UQM2 team, volunteers and fans can discuss, debate and collaborate on the new game.

We are making real progress, but we still have a long way to go. We sincerely hope that all of you are up for the journey -- it's going to be a blast!
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans
Jun 19, 2021, 08:37
Dev
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 19, 2021, 08:37
Jun 19, 2021, 08:37
Dev

I'll definitely give it a try whatever they make, because I love SC2. And I also have the original box too.
Plus these guys released the original as open source. Plus the remake of all the music from original artists OMG.

That being said I'm not holding my breath. If you watch some of the things behind the making of SC2, you can tell at least one is a bit of a perfectionist spending time on things to make the star types more realistic that no one would ever have noticed unless they watched the videos. That kinda thing works well under deadlines and management to limit it. But on it's own it makes things stretch out WAY WAY beyond a reasonable timeframe. So yeah, something like valve time is what I'm thinking for any sorta sequel.

I am glad they worked it out though. Ironically the settlement was from a phone call, just like Brad had said he wanted. I'm sure there was fault on both sides though. I think part of the settlement was them contributing some ideas for stardocks star control for a DLC. I wonder if they ever delivered on that.

Jun 18, 2021, 18:28
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 18:28
Jun 18, 2021, 18:28

Rigs wrote on Jun 18, 2021, 16:22:
Oh, I dunno, I thought what they put out was pretty good. Certainly wasn't a disaster, it had a nice gameplay loop and humorous (if not sometimes cringey, depending on your taste) dialog.

I thought it was exceptionally cringey. It's like that friend everyone has who tries way too hard to be "funny" and just never, ever lands the joke. I especially hated the planet hopping. The spherical map rotation just didn't work for me. To me, it just felt like a "We have the name of Star Control so we're just going to make a semi-clone of SCII with different assets since we don't own the OG Star Control universe" effort. It'd be like Dice working on a new Wing Commander...but not having any rights to access and use to the story, characters, races, lore, or assets of the Wing Commander universe.

I have seen the three titles you mentioned and they did not pique my interest in any meaningful way. I can get the same experience, for free, from Endless Skies plus infinite moddability if that were to be my thing. So if I am jonesing for a top down spacecraft based RPG, I just play that.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Jun 18, 2021, 18:12
Jaysen

Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 18:12
Jun 18, 2021, 18:12
 Jaysen

I'm happy they're interested in returning to Star Control II after that much time and probably $$$. In 2002 they released the code and that allowed The Ur-Quan Masters. http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Having created both Star Control and Skylanders that is some pretty good pedigree. I'll give what they make a try.

Jun 18, 2021, 16:22
Rigs

Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 16:22
Jun 18, 2021, 16:22
 Rigs

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 18, 2021, 12:46:
Even before the legal battle, Toys for Bob said they were "working" on an SC2 sequel. At this point, I will believe it when I see it.

Stardock's attempt at a Star Control game was mediocre.

Oh, I dunno, I thought what they put out was pretty good. Certainly wasn't a disaster, it had a nice gameplay loop and humorous (if not sometimes cringey, depending on your taste) dialog. I've found some similar games lately more on the 'indie' side of spectrum like Starcom Nexus, Silent Sector and Star Valor, to name a few. Starcom Nexus is especially similar to Star Control: Origins with a decent if slow-burn story and good production values. I've only gotten thru like maybe half of it but it's been very enjoyable. I don't know if Stardock has any more plans for the Star Control IP. It would be nice to see them polish it up some and expanded it out. My confidence in the original devs coming out with anything approaching Stardock's efforts (or even the indie copycats) is about nil. I mean, are they just unaware of their own reputation?
"...you're always 'Winner!' with BIG ****** RIGS!"-James Rolfe, 'AVGN'
"...for that, we salute you, you big glorious ****** RIGS!"-Matt McMuscles, 'Wha Happun?!'

Jun 18, 2021, 15:56
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 15:56
Jun 18, 2021, 15:56

OMG OMG OMG OMG So hyped! I still have my boxed copy. Best game of my childhood. Or one of, at least.

Jun 18, 2021, 15:39
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 15:39
Jun 18, 2021, 15:39

Agreed. And this snippet proves that they barely cared until Stardock showed up.

"To that end, we will soon be opening up a forum where the core UQM2 team, volunteers and fans can discuss, debate and collaborate on the new game."

Seriously? If you gave a crap you'd have spent the last 3 decades coming up with a concept, artwork, etc. Nope. You've done nothing and now you want everyone else to give you free ideas.

Jun 18, 2021, 14:21
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 14:21
Jun 18, 2021, 14:21

This whole thing still makes me depressed when I try to grasp it. I loved the original Star Control II, but that was what, 25 years ago? I struggle to find sympathy for the original creators who have done absolutely nothing with the series until basically after Stardock expressed interest in making their own game using IP they legally bought.

I strongly doubt Ford and Reiche will be able to put together anything resembling a game in the next 5 years.

Jun 18, 2021, 13:08
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 13:08
Jun 18, 2021, 13:08

I hope this game comes to fruition and is awesome but like others have said, I'll believe it when I see it. But I also don't think they would have started that battle with Stardock over something they didn't intend to see through.

Star Control: Origins was no Star Control II but I thought Stardock did a fine job with it.
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Jun 18, 2021, 12:57
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 12:57
Jun 18, 2021, 12:57

Was this discussed over the beer they had with Brad Wardell?

Jun 18, 2021, 12:46
Re: Star Control II Sequel Plans Jun 18, 2021, 12:46
Jun 18, 2021, 12:46

Even before the legal battle, Toys for Bob said they were "working" on an SC2 sequel. At this point, I will believe it when I see it.

Stardock's attempt at a Star Control game was mediocre.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older