Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring

In a statement on the Scott Games Website, Five Nights at Freddy's creator Scott Cawthon announces he's retiring from game development. This comes on the seventh anniversary of the release of the first trailer for the first FNAF game. Scott says the jump-scare series will continue under the watch of a successor he will choose. He talks of being able to spend more time with his kids, and being able to make games just for fun. He also thanks members of the LGBTQ community for their support. This is because Scott has been dealing with the blowback from the revelation on OpenSecrets of his political donations. This shows contributions to the campaigns of prominent Republicans, including Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, Devin Nunes, Kevin McCarthy, and John Cornyn. This angered many progressive fans, and it seems logical to connect this retirement announcement with the online skirmish the donation news provoked. Here's Scott's statement:
Before I say anything else, check out this awesome piece of fanart. Pretty amazing stuff, right? I have boxes and boxes of art work like this from fans that I've saved over the years. I've tried to answer as many letters as I could, and I apologize to anyone that I missed somehow. Someday when I have a bigger living room maybe I'll make a giant collage of all the fan of the collected. Stuff like this has made it all worthwhile to me over the last seven years.

I've had a blast, fulfilling, and rich career. I've been shown great kindness and I've tried to show great kindness in return. I've tried to make some good games (let the debate ensue), and I've witnessed the creation of possibly the most creative and talented fan base on the planet.

But here on the seventh anniversary of the first games trailer, as I realize that I was in my mid-30's when I created the series and now I'm approaching my mid-40's, I realize that I miss a lot of things that I got to focus on before FNAF became such a success. I miss making gains for my kids, I miss doing it just for fun, and I miss making RPG is even though I stink at it. All of this to say that I'm retiring. I have been shown tremendous love and support over the last week, a lot of which has come from the LGBTQ community.The kindness shown to me has been surreal.

Is this the end of FNAF? Nope. This just means that someone else will eventually be running the show; someone of my choosing, and someone that I trust. We will have this wait and see how it all plays out, but an announcement will be made at some point.

I have SIX kids now (although one of them is currently the size of a blueberry.) I love them dearly; they're my whole world and my whole universe. I want to focus my attention on them, focus on protecting them, and spend my time making things for them. I only ask that my fan base respect my decision. I will still be around, just not in the capacity that I used to be. What a blessed career I've had; what wonderful people I've met; and what a tremendous blessing to have been able to know all of you. Thank you so much.

See you on the flip side.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring
Jun 21, 2021, 22:51
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 21, 2021, 22:51
Jun 21, 2021, 22:51

Jivaro wrote on Jun 21, 2021, 17:55:
well...I am drawing the line at harassment. I feel like that's reasonable. I am not almost saying anything.
Here's some doxing/harassment that was justifiable and quite delicious.
Far-right extremists are finding themselves doxed and out of work

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jun 21, 2021, 17:55
Jivaro

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 21, 2021, 17:55
Jun 21, 2021, 17:55
 Jivaro

well...I am drawing the line at harassment. I feel like that's reasonable. I am not almost saying anything.

Jun 19, 2021, 06:45
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 19, 2021, 06:45
Jun 19, 2021, 06:45

Jivaro wrote on Jun 18, 2021, 13:04:
I think a private citizen should be able to donate their money to whomever they want without fear for their personal or economic safety. Yeah, even when they are Trump supporters. That's how freedom works, it's a two way street. If harassment for his political ideals is what is causing his retirement, I think that is a shame. I don't like the games and I don't like Trump politics....but I can't help but feel that it all is more destructive than constructive.
You almost make it sound like you feel the LGBT+ community should keep supporting him financially by continuing to purchase his games, despite his personal support of politicians who are actively aggressive against LGBT+ people.

Jun 19, 2021, 06:17
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 19, 2021, 06:17
Jun 19, 2021, 06:17

I think a private citizen should be able to donate their money to whomever they want without fear for their personal or economic safety. Yeah, even when they are Trump supporters. That's how freedom works, it's a two way street.
I think we can all agree that no-one should be forced into poverty for their political beliefs. But that's just another reason to support Universal Basic Income and to introduce a wealth tax to fund it.

I don't like the games and I don't like Trump politics....but I can't help but feel that it all is more destructive than constructive.
People have every right to act with their wallets and apply pressure on those who seek to restrict the rights of others. The politicians this guy was donating to are some of the most toxic people on the planet, and have been acting openly to undermine and compromise democracy to the detriment of all.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jun 19, 2021, 03:23
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 19, 2021, 03:23
Jun 19, 2021, 03:23

I think a private citizen should be able to donate their money to whomever they want without fear for their personal or economic safety. Yeah, even when they are Trump supporters. That's how freedom works, it's a two way street. If harassment for his political ideals is what is causing his retirement, I think that is a shame. I don't like the games and I don't like Trump politics....but I can't help but feel that it all is more destructive than constructive.

I know that there is a flip side here, and I get it. I just don't believe the country can be anything other than at each other's throats if "harass until you go away" is going to be the modus operandi. Stop spending money on his games, okay. Harassment? People are just psycho.

I mean, I don't think literally anyone outright cares to whom he donated his money to, however, there's the little part where said person claims to embrace and cherish a disenfranchised group of people while simultaneously financially supporting the people that are actively doing the disenfranchising.

If the guy wants to throw his money away supporting something, that's his choice, it's when he funds the means to disenfranchise groups while simultaneously saying that he wouldn't be where he was without the support of those same groups. It's like saying you are advocating for a cleaner environment while simultaneously driving a 1970 Lincoln Continental.

Jun 18, 2021, 13:04
Jivaro

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 18, 2021, 13:04
Jun 18, 2021, 13:04
 Jivaro

I know that there is a flip side here, and I get it. I just don't believe the country can be anything other than at each other's throats if "harass until you go away" is going to be the modus operandi. Stop spending money on his games, okay. Harassment? People are just psycho.

Jun 18, 2021, 12:51
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 18, 2021, 12:51
Jun 18, 2021, 12:51

MrBone wrote on Jun 18, 2021, 07:23:
Sad that weirdos online can harass a person and his family like that and get cheered on. Pathetic but that is the progressive-way to handle adversity.
Harass a person and his family like what? I believe there was harassment, but it's not mentioned in the statement, in Blue's post, or in anyone's comments. What post or posts are you referring to?

Jun 18, 2021, 12:05
NKD
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 18, 2021, 12:05
Jun 18, 2021, 12:05
NKD

Sad that weirdos online can harass a person and his family like that and get cheered on. Pathetic but that is the progressive-way to handle adversity.

Correct. Conservatives have never been caught harrassing anyone. Especially not families of children killed in a mass shooting. Oh, wait a second, they DID do that!

Jun 18, 2021, 08:13
Rilcon

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 18, 2021, 08:13
Jun 18, 2021, 08:13
 Rilcon

What happened to the conservative values of "actions have consequences", "owning up to your actions", or "sticks and stones my break my bones but words can never hurt me"?

Seems pretty ~pathetic~ to cave in so fast just because people called out his financial support to renown racists and homophobes.

Jun 18, 2021, 07:23
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 18, 2021, 07:23
Jun 18, 2021, 07:23

Jun 17, 2021, 23:32
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 17, 2021, 23:32
Jun 17, 2021, 23:32

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 22:30:
Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 21:21:
Just look at the mess at the US southern border currently.

Hey RedEye and Aclesius, as fellow Texans, have you guys seen an absolute brown wave of immigrants just jam packed in your streets? I know I haven't.

Now we could talk about the refugee prison/concentration camps that are the direct result of decades of piss-poor immigration policy. That is on both the Democrats and the Republicans. No one side is worse than the other in that particular topic. Xenophobia helps no one.

From my own experience with both US immigration and Canadian immigration the differences are night and day. Even with the roadblocks and extra hurdles the pandemic has thrown in, the immigration process to Canada has been far, far easier than what Mrs. Burrito had to go through to become a US citizen.

I live 100 miles from the border, nothing much has changed here.
But you live near a sanctuary city, I bet it's hard finding anybody that speaks English /sarcasm

The fear and fud that's being forcefully ejaculated out of far right media (Fox, NYPost, Epoch Times) exceeds even their normal propagandized effluent.

Next time you're looking for something to wrap fish guts in just reach for an Epoch Times. These two tidbits were on the front page on separate days
https://imgur.com/jYmG1Wp
https://imgur.com/zc9rQX6
(a local under-oxygenated octogenarian dropped them off at the coffee shop, the barista could not throw them in the recycle bin fast enough)
Of course Governor Babbitt think she's going to put more wall up when Texans didn't want to do it before on privately owned land that has been wall-less since before Spain controlled it.
Not even 45 with the might and power of the federal government could win any of the imminent domain cases (kind of reminiscent how he couldn't win any of his stop the squeal cases either)

Jun 17, 2021, 22:30
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 17, 2021, 22:30
Jun 17, 2021, 22:30

Just look at the mess at the US southern border currently.

Hey RedEye and Aclesius, as fellow Texans, have you guys seen an absolute brown wave of immigrants just jam packed in your streets? I know I haven't.

Now we could talk about the refugee prison/concentration camps that are the direct result of decades of piss-poor immigration policy. That is on both the Democrats and the Republicans. No one side is worse than the other in that particular topic. Xenophobia helps no one.

From my own experience with both US immigration and Canadian immigration the differences are night and day. Even with the roadblocks and extra hurdles the pandemic has thrown in, the immigration process to Canada has been far, far easier than what Mrs. Burrito had to go through to become a US citizen.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Re: removed
Jun 17, 2021, 22:10
Re: removed Jun 17, 2021, 22:10
Jun 17, 2021, 22:10

Kxmode wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 18:28:
NKD wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 17:40:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 14:46:
And you guys complain about me posting off-topic posts in Out-of-the-Blue. This is not off-topic, this is a bus breaking through the guard rail and down a 300 foot cliff into a body of water with sharks.
We're talking directly about the topic Blue posted, genius. And no one cares about your off-topic posts, they only tire of your constant fairy tales.

Believing your human government will ever solve any issues is a fairy tale.

He says as governments around the world vaccinate their populations successfully.

What were we to do ? Hop on a boat with 2 of every animal ?
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Jun 17, 2021, 21:37
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 17, 2021, 21:37
Jun 17, 2021, 21:37

They are, but not voting Democrat doesn't mean you're a racist and a bigot either. There are plenty of good reasons to vote against liberalism run amok. These are the same clowns that believe participation medals are a good thing. Just look at the mess at the US southern border currently. Woke/cancel culture/CRT, etc. it's all an Orwellian nightmare unfolding in real time.

"Wokeness" is GQP culture-war bull****. Wokeness is a term used by the black community to refer to the blatant and obvious race issues in America that has been coopted to buy into your FOX news talking points. I've been a lifelong liberal, born and raised in America and I've never seen "liberalism run amok". Despite what you've been spoon fed participation medals aren't handed to everyone, we still have winners and losers, both the right and left participate in "cancel culture". You believe in some grade A weapons grade hyperbole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUbbGx6dCOQ

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jun 17, 2021, 21:21
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 17, 2021, 21:21
Jun 17, 2021, 21:21

Greentiger wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 20:44:
Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 15:18:
So he donates to the GOP, so what? It doesn't mean he's pro-conservative, just anti-liberal. And there's still plenty of good reasons for that these days. I'm guessing, however, that 'thank you' to the gay community is completely tongue and cheek.

Weren't you on about about how Trump and McConnell were bad for the US before the election? Now it's just "oh cool, whatever"?

They are, but not voting Democrat doesn't mean you're a racist and a bigot either. There are plenty of good reasons to vote against liberalism run amok. These are the same clowns that believe participation medals are a good thing. Just look at the mess at the US southern border currently. Woke/cancel culture/CRT, etc. it's all an Orwellian nightmare unfolding in real time.
"When you're a Jet you're the swinginest thing. Little boy, you're a man, little man, you're a king!"

Jun 17, 2021, 21:05
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 17, 2021, 21:05
Jun 17, 2021, 21:05

Greentiger wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 20:44:
I'm not surprised Scott's a Trumpublican (Trumplican?)
tRumplicant? (apologies Blade Runner)

Saboth wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 14:29:
No doubt. If US democracy crumbles, it's directly through the actions of Mitch, Trump, and Republicans who value power over democracy. This guy is a piece of work if he thanks LGBTQ people in one breath while donating to Mitch, Nunes, and other garbage.
Greentiger wrote:
US democracy is already crumbling. The Economist (I believe it was them) changed their rating from "Democracy" to "Flawed Democracy" as a direct result of the January Insurrection and the Republican cover up. It's pretty clear from the rigging of election laws and their flat out refusal to follow democratic norms (not confirming judges etc) to fit their party and not the country pretty much confirms they're willing to scrap democracy just so they can stay on top.
Yep, flawed. We're right up there with Mexico.😬
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/02/02/global-democracy-has-a-very-bad-year

Jun 17, 2021, 20:44
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 17, 2021, 20:44
Jun 17, 2021, 20:44

I'm not surprised Scott's a Trumpublican (Trumplican?), his life pre-FNAF was him trying to make "Christian games". He only switched to FNAF because his characters generated nightmare fuel in his customers. Not surprising that he would stay "Christian" in his private life. Though I was surprised about how many LGBTQ people identified with FNAF or whatever. He's of course free to donate as he sees fit, but people are also free to boycott as they see fit.

Saboth wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 14:29:
No doubt. If US democracy crumbles, it's directly through the actions of Mitch, Trump, and Republicans who value power over democracy. This guy is a piece of work if he thanks LGBTQ people in one breath while donating to Mitch, Nunes, and other garbage.

US democracy is already crumbling. The Economist (I believe it was them) changed their rating from "Democracy" to "Flawed Democracy" as a direct result of the January Insurrection and the Republican cover up. It's pretty clear from the rigging of election laws and their flat out refusal to follow democratic norms (not confirming judges etc) to fit their party and not the country pretty much confirms they're willing to scrap democracy just so they can stay on top.

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 15:18:
So he donates to the GOP, so what? It doesn't mean he's pro-conservative, just anti-liberal. And there's still plenty of good reasons for that these days. I'm guessing, however, that 'thank you' to the gay community is completely tongue and cheek.

Weren't you on about about how Trump and McConnell were bad for the US before the election? Now it's just "oh cool, whatever"?
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." ― Arthur C. Clarke

Jun 17, 2021, 18:33
Kxmode

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Creator Retiring Jun 17, 2021, 18:33
Jun 17, 2021, 18:33
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 15:11:
And you guys complain about me posting off-topic posts in Out-of-the-Blue. This is not off-topic, this is a bus breaking through the guard rail and down a 300 foot cliff into a body of water with sharks.
KXMODE: HOW DARE YOU GUYS DISCUSS POLITICS? I DO NOT CARE ABOUT POLITICS! GOD LAUGHS AT EARTHLING POLITICS! THE ONLY LIFE AND DEATH SITUATION IS EPIC GAMES EXCLUSIVES!

If you want to go with that because your mind can only process simple thoughts, I won't stop you.

Also, caps-lock is cruise control for cool.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jun 17, 2021, 18:28
Kxmode

Re: removed Jun 17, 2021, 18:28
Jun 17, 2021, 18:28
 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Jun 17, 2021, 17:40:
We're talking directly about the topic Blue posted, genius. And no one cares about your off-topic posts, they only tire of your constant fairy tales.

Believing your human government will ever solve any issues is a fairy tale.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jun 17, 2021, 17:40
NKD
Re: removed Jun 17, 2021, 17:40
Jun 17, 2021, 17:40
NKD

"Thanks for showing me kindness LGBTQ community! Now excuse me while I go donate more to opponents of gay marriage, gay couples being able to adopt, and transgender people being able to take a shit in a public restroom."

And mind you this isn't a few bucks. Its tens of thousands of dollars to anti-LGBTQ politicians. Tens of thousands of dollars that came out of the pocket of the folks who bought his garbage games.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older