ELEX II Announced

Piranha Bytes announces their next project will be ELEX II, a sequel to ELEX, the action/RPG set in space, where no one can hear you ask what LX stands for. This is coming to Windows, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One, but it does not yet have a release date. What it does have is a Steam Listing where you can wishlist the PC edition and an Official Website where you can keep up with development. The Announcement Trailer does not feature gameplay, but does suggest this will be an action-packed affair. It also features an original song that suits the clip's violent mood, and ends saying the game is "coming soon." Here's more:
ELEX II is the sequel to ELEX, the vintage open-world role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic and Risen series, Piranha Bytes. ELEX II returns to the post-apocalyptic Science Fantasy world of Magalan, with massive environments that can be explored with unrivaled freedom via jetpack – you will be able to move through the epic story any way you want!

Several years after Jax defeated the Hybrid, a new threat arrives from the sky, unleashing the dangerous powers of dark Elex and endangering all life on the planet. In order to defend the peace on Magalan and the safety of his own family, Jax embarks on a mission to convince the factions to unite against the invaders, as well as a personal quest to find his son, Dex, who got separated from him …

Dive into a huge, hand-crafted, completely unique world with multiple factions and diverse environments set in a post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe.

The game allows you to:

• explore the planet of Magalan with unprecedented freedom, using your trusted jetpack to traverse the map and even fly!
  • interact with a lived-in world, full of unique NPCs, who...
  • ...will remember what you’ve done and react accordingly
  • ...will join or leave your group depending on how you behave
  • ...are able to be killed, which will have an effect on the story
  • engage in fluid close and ranged combat with a massively improved control system
  • experience a story where your actions have consequences, immersing you in a world of moral decisions

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: ELEX II Announced
Jun 18, 2021, 01:58
Jivaro

Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 18, 2021, 01:58
Jun 18, 2021, 01:58
 Jivaro

The first game came to me for free somehow and I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will finish it in time to get this one for free somehow too.

Jun 16, 2021, 10:53
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 16, 2021, 10:53
Jun 16, 2021, 10:53

RogueSix wrote on Jun 16, 2021, 07:07:
You have pretty low standards if it is good enough for you that the game can be finished. Piranha Bytes' (PB) post-release support for their last few games has been pathetic. They won't release a single patch more than they are contractually obligated to (usually about two patches), no matter how easy or simple a fix may be. They have emphasized since the Gothic 3 bug desaster that patches need to be paid for by the publisher and that they won't even left a finger unless paid. They are sticking to their principles like true Germans!

So a game that is finished, has a lot of content, is stable, has a proper ending etc. is not good enough? What post-release support, other than fixing bugs does there actually need to be? I'm not aware of anything major that is wrong with Elex as of the last patch. I'll concede that there are surely minor bugs such as the misleading tooltips.

Gothic 3 is was a long time ago and under a different publisher. Stuff about how Piranha Bytes demands that the publisher fund patches is hearsay, unless you actually have first-hand experience - sources for that? And their publisher at the time, JoWood, wasn't exactly known for caring about quality.

ELEX definitely still has some issues and a major one that would have been so easy to fix in one of the very few patches that were released is the stat descriptions which are still flat out wrong and very misleading for new players. Stats in ELEX, contrary to PB's previous games, do absolutely nothing except allowing you to put on certain gear or acquire certain perks. They do not influence damage output or anything else. It is inexplicable why PB never fixed that since it would be super-easy to just edit that text, right?
Or if we look at Risen 2 they never fixed the issue that quite a lot of achievements simply won't unlock.

That's just the trademark PB game template. It's weird, yes, and not being able to use a particular item at all until some stat exceeds some arbitrary threshold makes little sense, to take an example. But that's the vision of the game designer - there's nothing to fix there. The ruleset of the game is the developer's perogative - take it or leave it, in much the same way that a movie, while competently made, will not appeal to everyone.

Look, just like you, I actually like the fact that PB are not making live service games or games like Larian/CD Projekt who release an alpha and then improve upon it over the coming years until it culminates in some sort of finally finished "Definitive Edition". I like that they release a mostly content/feature complete game but why can't there be more of a middle ground between the extremes of years of patching and a reasonable amount of post-release support? I really think they should do more in that regard. At least fix all the low hanging fruit and if it's not in the contract then post-negotiate to make it happen. Their outright stubbornness to not lift a finger after a certain point is kind of lame.

What is the low-hanging fruit you refer to? I ask because I genuinely can't remember any major problems in the game, and it was a long time ago that I played it. Can you point out some major problem in Elex that needs fixing, that is actually a bug and not developer perogative?

While I agree with you that there can be a middle ground in terms of post-release support, it is the developer's perogative what to do post-release. If they don't want to make DLC or silly things like weapon/skin freebies and instead want to take a long holiday (hopefully) before getting started on the next game, that's their decision. Going by PB's last few releases, it seems they don't like to do DLC or expansions. That's fine by me, because it means we get Elex II sooner than if they had messed about doing post-release stuff.

Jun 16, 2021, 09:06
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 16, 2021, 09:06
Jun 16, 2021, 09:06

GinRummy wrote on Jun 16, 2021, 08:52:
I played (and finished) Elex back when it came out, had fun, but like most of the developer's previous games it starts hard and slow, and you are VERY squishy until you learn to master the fighting and upgrade your weapons and armor. You can easily run into monsters that can stomp you flat, and it gets frustrating trying to avoid everything but the bits you CAN do until you grow your stats. Once you do that though, with some patience and persistence, it is a fun game with some depth and story and lots of options on how to choose who to align with, which changes your play options quite a bit. I'll almost certainly give the sequel a shot when it comes out.

You describe your first part as if that's a bad thing, but that's exactly the USP of PB's games. When Gothic first came out, the fact that a chicken-like creature could one-shot you until you at least trained a bit of fighting and go back to that first area to teach said chicken-like creature a lesson... that was revolutionary. What was even better was that NPCs could beat you (not kill you) and gloat... and you could beat them (not kill them) and gloat right back at them once you got strong enough. The sense of character progression was a 10 out of 10, and something only PB to this day gets right.

Jun 16, 2021, 08:52
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 16, 2021, 08:52
Jun 16, 2021, 08:52

I played (and finished) Elex back when it came out, had fun, but like most of the developer's previous games it starts hard and slow, and you are VERY squishy until you learn to master the fighting and upgrade your weapons and armor. You can easily run into monsters that can stomp you flat, and it gets frustrating trying to avoid everything but the bits you CAN do until you grow your stats. Once you do that though, with some patience and persistence, it is a fun game with some depth and story and lots of options on how to choose who to align with, which changes your play options quite a bit. I'll almost certainly give the sequel a shot when it comes out.

Jun 16, 2021, 07:07
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 16, 2021, 07:07
Jun 16, 2021, 07:07

twobit wrote on Jun 16, 2021, 05:54:
In the modern era of gaming, defined by the greed of the major publishers, when a company like Piranha Bytes effectively says "OK, game is finished, we've issued a few patches and it's in pretty good shape now. See you in a few years!", this is a sign of integrity, not of abandonment.

I bought Elex a couple of days after release, and it was not broken in any major way. There were some quest bugs, but it was possible to finish the game. I believe the current state of the game is that all major known bugs are gone. So the game is finished, the ending foreshadowed the events depicted in the trailer of Elex II, and nothing else needs to be added to it.

You have pretty low standards if it is good enough for you that the game can be finished. Piranha Bytes' (PB) post-release support for their last few games has been pathetic. They won't release a single patch more than they are contractually obligated to (usually about two patches), no matter how easy or simple a fix may be. They have emphasized since the Gothic 3 bug desaster that patches need to be paid for by the publisher and that they won't even left a finger unless paid. They are sticking to their principles like true Germans!

ELEX definitely still has some issues and a major one that would have been so easy to fix in one of the very few patches that were released is the stat descriptions which are still flat out wrong and very misleading for new players. Stats in ELEX, contrary to PB's previous games, do absolutely nothing except allowing you to put on certain gear or acquire certain perks. They do not influence damage output or anything else. It is inexplicable why PB never fixed that since it would be super-easy to just edit that text, right?
Or if we look at Risen 2 they never fixed the issue that quite a lot of achievements simply won't unlock.

Look, just like you, I actually like the fact that PB are not making live service games or games like Larian/CD Projekt who release an alpha and then improve upon it over the coming years until it culminates in some sort of finally finished "Definitive Edition". I like that they release a mostly content/feature complete game but why can't there be more of a middle ground between the extremes of years of patching and a reasonable amount of post-release support? I really think they should do more in that regard. At least fix all the low hanging fruit and if it's not in the contract then post-negotiate to make it happen. Their outright stubbornness to not lift a finger after a certain point is kind of lame.

Jun 16, 2021, 05:54
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 16, 2021, 05:54
Jun 16, 2021, 05:54

WaltSee wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 13:53:
I bought Elex when it originally shipped...it was really interesting in a lot of ways and has a very nice (huge) open world feel with tons of detail. Graphics were very nice--a competent job I thought as then I was locked into a 2560x1440P monitor... But the pieces never seemed to fit very well and lots of things seemed half finished--rough around the edges. But I think the main thing that disappointed me was how little effort Piranha Bytes put into the game after it shipped! I kept waiting for patches and texture/visual improvements that never came. No DLC that I recall--no expansion--and worse--absolutely no feedback from PB about Elex and any plans they might have had for the game. Nothing--at least it seemed that way to me. You know, it kind of ticked me off, actually, as there's just so much in the game I really like. PB put some support behind the game for a couple of months after it shipped--got some patches that were required to actually play the game through--but...basically the game just sort of got left hanging in the wind and it was abandoned by PB fairly early on, I thought. Game had great potential--but no follow through from PB. Or, at least, no follow-through of a type that would have made me a much happier customer. No DLC, no texture packs, no new areas, no expansions...nothing.

AA/A game development today requires a good deal of effort post the initial ship date, for at least a year, imo. I think that PB did its own game a disservice.

In the modern era of gaming, defined by the greed of the major publishers, when a company like Piranha Bytes effectively says "OK, game is finished, we've issued a few patches and it's in pretty good shape now. See you in a few years!", this is a sign of integrity, not of abandonment.

I bought Elex a couple of days after release, and it was not broken in any major way. There were some quest bugs, but it was possible to finish the game. I believe the current state of the game is that all major known bugs are gone. So the game is finished, the ending foreshadowed the events depicted in the trailer of Elex II, and nothing else needs to be added to it.

In this era of gaming, publishers are obsessed with engagement because that is what drives microtransactions. So they're always coming up with DLC (read: cut content), "seasons", "double exp weekends", time-limited giveaways & events and all of that bullshit in order to try to keep their game fresh in gamer's minds and to keep them playing and buying shit through fear of missing out.

Piranha Bytes, on the other hand, are distinctly old school - you play their game, you finish it, and there is none of the bullshit that comes from the big publishers. And for that reason, and because I generally enjoy their games, I will support them. Having said that, I believe PB have now been acquired by THQ Nordic, so it remains to be seen whether they manage to retain their integrity.

Jun 16, 2021, 04:43
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 16, 2021, 04:43
Jun 16, 2021, 04:43

The description of the video says it's an original song made for the game by Johnathan Davis (lead singer of Korn).

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 20:23:
"We're a sci-fi RPG, but don't worry! We still have bladed weapons and fireballs!"

Congrats, you managed to grasp the core theme of the series, which I suppose means their marketing is on point. They call it science fantasy.

Jun 16, 2021, 02:14
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 16, 2021, 02:14
Jun 16, 2021, 02:14

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 13:48:
Piranha Bytes did the abomination that is Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5. I have no love for them.

Wrong developer.

However, I did like the music in the trailer.

Sounds a bit like that Corn copycat band that wears masks. What the fuck are they called again? Well whatever, nu-metal music is kind of meh, I guess that's the crusty jaded old man opinion, but it's what I got.

Jun 15, 2021, 22:00
Nucas

Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 22:00
Jun 15, 2021, 22:00
 Nucas

saluk wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 13:12:
What a terrible trailer. I heard good things about Elex - after a slow start. But I dunno my piranha bytes love never made it past Risen 2.

feels like the studio's just been coasting on "middling to mediocre" since then. spiders software has long since seized that plucky "check out what we can do with 25 people" crown.

still, super appropriate that this once-great developer of yesteryear puts out a trailer with a song by the lead singer of Korn, something about that just seems poetic.

Jun 15, 2021, 20:23
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 20:23
Jun 15, 2021, 20:23

"We're a sci-fi RPG, but don't worry! We still have bladed weapons and fireballs!"
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Jun 15, 2021, 19:42
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 19:42
Jun 15, 2021, 19:42

Darks wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 18:51:
Perfect way to ruin your trailer is to put in some stupid ass music that just ruins the feel and setting. SMH!!!

Yeah for some reason heavy metal doesn't work most of the time with trailers. That said, I can easily look past that. If this game looks like that and has all those moves, that is a major major step up from what they had which was more typical RPG combat. The production values less the music look pretty strong... if real gameplay.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2021, 10:10.

Jun 15, 2021, 18:51
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 18:51
Jun 15, 2021, 18:51

Perfect way to ruin your trailer is to put in some stupid ass music that just ruins the feel and setting. SMH!!!
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Jun 15, 2021, 18:48
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 18:48
Jun 15, 2021, 18:48

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 12:34:
Anyone here play the original ELEX? I had it on my wishlist but never got to it.

It's pretty good, one thing they added was all kinds of difficulty sliders. It was known as a pretty hard game (perhaps what some are talking about as a slow start), but it has a lot of sliders for anyone to balance the game to their liking. This was a pretty big addition to the game, wish more games would let us make our own difficulties, happy customers should be a goal.

Jun 15, 2021, 16:09
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 16:09
Jun 15, 2021, 16:09

Quinn wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 15:53:
What a terrible trailer. I heard good things about Elex - after a slow start. But I dunno my piranha bytes love never made it past Risen 2.

Argh such a shame! Risen 2 was bad, although I did manage to force myself to love it. They had the pirate vibe right, but the pace and story were so very off. The shame though is that Risen 3 was very, very solid stuff. One of their best games, imo. The thing with PB is that after every so many games, they fall hard and get up stronger. Same with Gothic 3.

Anyway if you have the time, maybe give Risen 3 a shot.

My replays the coming months: A Plague Tale Innocence and now that I talked about it, Risen 3.

This !
Yes, Risen 2 was their more modest offering.
Risen 3, Gothic 3 with all fan mods is what it should have been on its own, both *so* fine !
Have replayed them a couple times, and will again, Elex too, Fates allowing.

Jun 15, 2021, 15:53
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 15:53
Jun 15, 2021, 15:53

Argh such a shame! Risen 2 was bad, although I did manage to force myself to love it. They had the pirate vibe right, but the pace and story were so very off. The shame though is that Risen 3 was very, very solid stuff. One of their best games, imo. The thing with PB is that after every so many games, they fall hard and get up stronger. Same with Gothic 3.

Anyway if you have the time, maybe give Risen 3 a shot.

My replays the coming months: A Plague Tale Innocence and now that I talked about it, Risen 3.

Jun 15, 2021, 15:22
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 15:22
Jun 15, 2021, 15:22

Love to death any and all of Piranha Games. With a passion.
Gothic, Risen, Elex, just what I dream of : huge/complex lore/convoluted/action filled worlds to explore and adventure in.
Though factor that I mod & hack any game, enjoying them way more.

( Example : I'm well into 2009 Demon's Souls with infinite health, magic, stamina, souls & items.
Cheat Engine, a couple searches finds any value, 4 bytes big endian, Mem_Mapped ticked in Scan Settings, change inventory slot for new value to show.
Manual saving anywhere, so if I die, overwrite with my last, alive & not losing all progress and souls.
Nexus Mods: no DOF, warp from anywhere to Archstones in your actual zone or any other, change World Tendency, etc.)

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2021, 15:51.

Jun 15, 2021, 14:01
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 14:01
Jun 15, 2021, 14:01

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 13:48:
Piranha Bytes did the abomination that is Mechwarrior Mercenaries 5. I have no love for them.

Wrong. Piranha Bytes is a German developer responsible for the Gothic, Risen and now ELEX franchises. Piranha Games are the guys who developed MW5 and MWO.

Jun 15, 2021, 13:59
Jim
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 13:59
Jun 15, 2021, 13:59
Jim

Original ELEX is okay-ish. Personally I'd have preferred a new gothic instead. The whole sci-fi genre is getting old. IMO PB does open world game systems the best, because all levels of enemies can coexist, you avoid those you cannot kill until you can. The way they do it is through a damage absorption mechanism, where enemies have similar levels of health, but weapons are ineffective until they can exceed the threshold. That being said, the combat systems are less than ideal, same eurojank that plagues all euro games it seems like. It is serviceable but not great.

Jun 15, 2021, 13:53
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 13:53
Jun 15, 2021, 13:53

I bought Elex when it originally shipped...it was really interesting in a lot of ways and has a very nice (huge) open world feel with tons of detail. Graphics were very nice--a competent job I thought as then I was locked into a 2560x1440P monitor... But the pieces never seemed to fit very well and lots of things seemed half finished--rough around the edges. But I think the main thing that disappointed me was how little effort Piranha Bytes put into the game after it shipped! I kept waiting for patches and texture/visual improvements that never came. No DLC that I recall--no expansion--and worse--absolutely no feedback from PB about Elex and any plans they might have had for the game. Nothing--at least it seemed that way to me. You know, it kind of ticked me off, actually, as there's just so much in the game I really like. PB put some support behind the game for a couple of months after it shipped--got some patches that were required to actually play the game through--but...basically the game just sort of got left hanging in the wind and it was abandoned by PB fairly early on, I thought. Game had great potential--but no follow through from PB. Or, at least, no follow-through of a type that would have made me a much happier customer. No DLC, no texture packs, no new areas, no expansions...nothing.

AA/A game development today requires a good deal of effort post the initial ship date, for at least a year, imo. I think that PB did its own game a disservice.

Notes here on "Elex 2" read almost exactly like Elex 1...;) Jet Pak--flying? Did a lot of that in Elex 1, myself. I would pick E2 up if they put some effort into it--but not holding my breath on this one.

Edit: Yes, that trailer was horrible, I agree.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Jun 15, 2021, 13:48
Re: ELEX II Announced Jun 15, 2021, 13:48
Jun 15, 2021, 13:48

Wrong developer.

However, I did like the music in the trailer.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2021, 14:49.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older