Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content

A post on the Back 4 Blood Website discusses multiplayer support in Turtle Rock's upcoming spiritual successor to the Left 4 Dead series. In a move designed to keep the community together and keep PvP from being pay-to-win, players will have access to any additional content owned by the party leader. Brace yourself, there's some shouting involved:
IN PVE, IF YOUR PARTY LEADER OWNS A PAID CONTENT DROP, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THAT CONTENT WITH THEM — INCLUDING MAPS, GAMEPLAY AND CAMPAIGN.
No separation. No exclusion. No split.

Now, you might be thinking, “It’s cool you aren’t splitting the community, Turtle Rock, but if you’re selling content drops, how will PvP not be pay-to-win?”
IN PVP, EVERYONE WHO BOUGHT BACK 4 BLOOD CAN GET ACCESS TO ALL ADDITIONAL PVP CONTENT, EVEN WITHOUT PURCHASING CONTENT DROPS. PLAYERS WHO DON’T BUY THE CONTENT DROPS CAN EARN NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS AND RIDDEN IN PVP, FOR FREE, THROUGH PROGRESSION. ADDITIONALLY, ALL PVP PLAYERS HAVE ACCESS TO THE SAME CARDS AT THE START OF EACH MATCH, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THOSE PLAYERS HAVE PURCHASED CONTENT DROPS OR NOT.
View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content
Jun 15, 2021, 10:52
Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 15, 2021, 10:52
Jun 15, 2021, 10:52

This game is back on my radar because of Gamepass, otherwise I recall complaining about the high retail cost of this product.

Jun 15, 2021, 03:05
Rilcon

Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 15, 2021, 03:05
Jun 15, 2021, 03:05
 Rilcon

LOUD SCREAMING

Anyway, I only care about coop/PvE for these sort of games, so shrug I guess.

Jun 15, 2021, 00:06
Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 15, 2021, 00:06
Jun 15, 2021, 00:06

Hrm, that sounds like they stole borrowed a mechanic from Hand of Fate. Although, it is a good mechanic for some games...

Jun 14, 2021, 23:43
Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 14, 2021, 23:43
Jun 14, 2021, 23:43

Looks like Turtle Rock didn't learn from their Evolve mistakes.

Jun 14, 2021, 23:28
Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 14, 2021, 23:28
Jun 14, 2021, 23:28

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 22:18:
Uh, cards? Does that mean they copied the dumbest part of Battlefront 2?

Also, FUCK YOU, IT'S STILL PAY-TO-WIN IF YOU SELL GAMEPLAY-AFFECTING THINGS REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY'RE ABLE TO BE EARNED FOR FREE. You know the first thing the scummiest pay-to-win games started doing when people complained about exclusive paid advantages? They made those advantages available "for free," IF you're willing to spend dozens of hours grinding one out (all the while competing unfairly with those who paid to get it instantly). That doesn't make it not P2W, it's just a little less P2W because eventually some "free-loaders" (who in this case still had to pay $60 for the game) will catch up. Letting you break out the credit card to skip an unreasonable grind is exactly what people lambasted EA for doing...

So either pay up front to unlock everything, or grind forever to get it. Meanwhile, hope whatever youre going for is not currently OP and/or not something altered by the time you grind for it.
I'd be high pissed if there were a gun or armor in the game that is better than what I have, but I could unlock it by grinding.. meanwhile - Prince Saudi Moneybags just buys everything and has every advantage from the word go.

They are stuck- either every unlockable item is a side grade and equal, and thus not something people might pay for, or the unlockable stuff is OP and this creates a gap.

Jun 14, 2021, 22:43
Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 14, 2021, 22:43
Jun 14, 2021, 22:43

Thanks for the info, that's a little better than collecting and upgrading character cards, I guess. Really not liking how some of these final details are shaking out, but I'm willing to wait and see because I still want to believe the 'Left 4 Dead 3' dream. Actually more than willing, 'cause there are plenty of other games I'm looking forward to around the time this is coming out...

Jun 14, 2021, 22:30
Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 14, 2021, 22:30
Jun 14, 2021, 22:30

Cards - How the cards work is you build a loadout, which is a selection of cards from your deck, before each game. As each stage of the game begins, a card from your loadout is randomly played, and it affects the game going forward (and played cards persist the entire rest of the game, so over time their effects stack up). The card may be "your party has 10% bonus max health" or "Your character now self-heals by doing melee damage" and so on and so forth. It is supposed to add replayability by making each run through the same map have a random, different element. But by my experience in the closed beta, I didn't actually much care for it.

But yeah. I feel you on the pay 2 win. This sucks. Guess this game is a no-buy for me.

Jun 14, 2021, 22:18
Re: Back 4 Blood Players Will Share Party Leader's Content Jun 14, 2021, 22:18
Jun 14, 2021, 22:18

Uh, cards? Does that mean they copied the dumbest part of Battlefront 2?

Also, FUCK YOU, IT'S STILL PAY-TO-WIN IF YOU SELL GAMEPLAY-AFFECTING THINGS REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY'RE ABLE TO BE EARNED FOR FREE. You know the first thing the scummiest pay-to-win games started doing when people complained about exclusive paid advantages? They made those advantages available "for free," IF you're willing to spend dozens of hours grinding one out (all the while competing unfairly with those who paid to get it instantly). That doesn't make it not P2W, it's just a little less P2W because eventually some "free-loaders" (who in this case still had to pay $60 for the game) will catch up. Letting you break out the credit card to skip an unreasonable grind is exactly what people lambasted EA for doing...

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2021, 22:39.
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older