Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free

Robot Entertainment announces Orcs Must Die! 3 will come to PC and consoles on July 23rd, following a little over a year of Google Stadia exclusivity. A new Announce Trailer accompanies the news. The Windows edition is coming to Steam, and to celebrate the news, you play Orcs Must Die! 2 for free on Steam over the coming week. Here's a refresher on Orcs Must Die! 3:
The award-winning Orcs Must Die! series is back and better than ever with Orcs Must Die! 3, featuring all new War Scenarios and War Machines which add massive scale to battlefields that deliver on an epic orc-slaying power fantasy. Either solo or via online co-op with a friend, players must defend their rift using a variety of weapons and traps against hundreds of orcs simultaneously. Players can also test their resolve with the brand new and ever-evolving Scramble Mode that pits players against orcs in a series of five escalating challenges where both sides receive random modifiers after each battle. Plenty of new and returning fan favorite heroes, weapons and traps await players seeking to unleash orc-devastating mayhem.
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free
Jun 15, 2021, 21:52
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 15, 2021, 21:52
Jun 15, 2021, 21:52

WaltSee wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 15:37:
El Pit wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 12:06:
Just please make the levels better for single-player experience instead of the mirrored levels in OMD2 which were obviously built for co-op. Thanks.

I would only be interested in single-player, as well, but this particular game has never "tripped my trigger," as they say...the Orcs look about as 'scary' and 'authentic' as poo-bear ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SwWL5xCzhM ) from my dimly remembered childhood, Saturday-morning cartoon days...;) I cannot figure out if this is a "Recommended: kindergarten to 4th grade age group" game or whether there is something here that isn't obvious that makes the game more interesting in single-player mode--and more fun for us post-pubescent graybeards!...;)

For those who play and enjoy it, what are the standout features for you that make it a worthwhile addition to your library?
(I mean, if you feel like a sentence/paragraph or two...;) If not, that's fine, too...;) )

They're just fun tower defense games with a spattering of action thrown in, what else is there to say? Everything doesn't need to have hyper-realistic graphics to be worth playing.

Jun 15, 2021, 02:58
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 15, 2021, 02:58
Jun 15, 2021, 02:58

I'm a huge Tower Defense guy with at least 1000 hours in games like Defense Grid, Plants v Zombies, They Are Billions, Creeper World, Gem Craft, Defenders Quest, Immortal Defense, and others. However, for some reason OMD did not grab me. Perhaps it's the need to run around the map doing things instead of just having to think about pathing and tower placement. I own both of these, but only have about an hour of total gameplay.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Jun 15, 2021, 02:50
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 15, 2021, 02:50
Jun 15, 2021, 02:50

bigspender wrote on Jun 15, 2021, 00:23:
If you can find the first game on sale I'd highly recommend it.

OMD 1 is $2 on Steam.
OMD 2 is free.
Doesn't get much cheaper than that.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Jun 15, 2021, 00:23
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 15, 2021, 00:23
Jun 15, 2021, 00:23

Just please make the levels better for single-player experience instead of the mirrored levels in OMD2 which were obviously built for co-op. Thanks.

I would only be interested in single-player, as well, but this particular game has never "tripped my trigger," as they say...the Orcs look about as 'scary' and 'authentic' as poo-bear ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SwWL5xCzhM ) from my dimly remembered childhood, Saturday-morning cartoon days...;) I cannot figure out if this is a "Recommended: kindergarten to 4th grade age group" game or whether there is something here that isn't obvious that makes the game more interesting in single-player mode--and more fun for us post-pubescent graybeards!...;)

For those who play and enjoy it, what are the standout features for you that make it a worthwhile addition to your library?
(I mean, if you feel like a sentence/paragraph or two...;) If not, that's fine, too...;) )

It's a tower defense game at its heart, and that's where the fun of it is for me - setting up the perfect orc killing machine by experimenting with trap placements and combos. The 3rd person shooter portion just allows you make up for any mistakes or shortcomings in your trap layouts, by killing the orcs yourself.

Yes definitely in the cartoonish side, but it's plenty violent (comically so), the crazy music, the body parts flying about, when your traps are working well, it's like watching a spaghetti western bar fight scene with that fast piano music haha.

If you can find the first game on sale I'd highly recommend it.

Jun 14, 2021, 22:41
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 22:41
Jun 14, 2021, 22:41

OMD 1 was crazy fun, and OMD 2 was a really good co-op game. OMD:Unchained didn't really do it for me, but I'm hoping this is a return to form.

Jun 14, 2021, 16:54
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 16:54
Jun 14, 2021, 16:54

Well, this is probably not going to be the game or series that impresses or scares you with fearsome looking Orcs/Trolls/Ogres etc. but I always loved the OMD graphical style. Clean lined, cartoonish graphics usually age better also over time. That aside, the gameplay itself is very enjoyable (for me at least), Tower/Trap defense for hordes of limited AI enemies (they will go for the gate, but attack you if you get in the way or start harassing) with Rube Goldberg style traps and mechanics, in addition to some third player shooting/melee by your Warmage, with a decent selection of weapons and spells. The second game greatly expands on the first, but yes, it has a definite coop oriented design, that is beatable solo, but it's definitely more difficult than the first game.

It USUALLY hits that sweet spot between having a great trap setup and not having to do ANYTHING, and not so far in the other direction where traps are complete shit and your character has to kill everything. Depends on the map, but most maps are very well done. You can progress through the whole game without much difficulty with some well placed setups and good character control, but the greater challenge usually comes from trying to get a 'Perfect' run on each map; no enemies let through, and some other qualifiers, like not using certain traps, etc.

I have around 30 hours in OMD1, and 70 hours in OMD2. I think I 5-skulled (zero enemies let through, all added challenges complete) most of the maps in each game, but definitely got closer to 100% in OMD2, for whatever reason I enjoyed the second one more, even though I played it solo.

Jun 14, 2021, 15:37
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 15:37
Jun 14, 2021, 15:37

It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Jun 14, 2021, 13:29
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 13:29
Jun 14, 2021, 13:29

Saboth wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 12:41:
Loved OMD 1, didn't care for 2. It was obviously designed with 2 player in mind, and it was too much work, too tedious to defend the levels solo. While it *could* be done, it just wasn't as fun as OMD 1.

Obviously it's all opinion, but I'd say give it a shot. I felt exactly as you did, until things really clicked.
My initial impression was being annoyed that I couldn't close off one path to funnel them my way. But once I got past that, it did become effort in ensuring both sides were running correctly, and a few levels were really won by a hair, but it felt better than the original.

Jun 14, 2021, 13:26
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 13:26
Jun 14, 2021, 13:26

Cool, I had forgotten OMD3 even existed, because of the Stadia bullshit. I'll definitely check it out on Steam.

Jun 14, 2021, 12:41
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 12:41
Jun 14, 2021, 12:41

Loved OMD 1, didn't care for 2. It was obviously designed with 2 player in mind, and it was too much work, too tedious to defend the levels solo. While it *could* be done, it just wasn't as fun as OMD 1.

Jun 14, 2021, 12:32
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 12:32
Jun 14, 2021, 12:32

SO glad this is finally coming to Steam. Had so much fun with my buddies in all the OMD's

Jun 14, 2021, 12:11
Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 12:11
Jun 14, 2021, 12:11

I hated those, until I didn't. 5 Skulled every level solo.

What I want is the ability to jump deeper into horde mode, assuming it comes back. In 2, horde mode was essentially 10 minutes of boring followed by 3 minutes of "holy crap" then repeat. Most of your time was spent in rounds that just took time, not skill.

Jun 14, 2021, 12:06
El Pit

Re: Orcs Must Die! 3 on Steam Next Month; Play Orcs Must Die! 2 for Free Jun 14, 2021, 12:06
Jun 14, 2021, 12:06
 El Pit

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older