EVE Online Getting EVE Academy

CCP Games announces the launch of EVE Academy, a new website to ease the new player experience in EVE Online, the ruthless sci-fi RPG. The game can be hard on new players, so here's hoping this toughens them for battle, rather than tenderizes them for the grinder. Here's a Welcome to EVE Academy Trailer and more:
Created with input from EVE players with expertise in the game’s different professions and specializations, EVE Academy contains vital information about the game’s varied mechanics and intricate systems all in one easy-to-navigate location, making the galaxy-spanning MMO more accessible to new players. After deciding on a career path in EVE Academy, Capsuleers should be well-equipped with everything they need to confidently explore the vast universe of New Eden.

EVE Academy helps players:

• Get Started: With information on character creation, the onboard AI “Aura”, and the available career paths.
  • Find a Path: EVE Academy outlines four distinct career paths, each offering a different experience for Capsuleers.
  • Jump into Activities: Whether pilots are looking to get involved in the massive player-vs-player battles, explore New Eden’s 8,000 solar systems, build an industrial corporation, or join one of the NPC empires, EVE Academy gives Capsuleers a place to start their journey across the stars.
  • Set Goals and Aspirations: EVE Academy offers a variety of achievable goals to those who are looking for guidance. With EVE Academy, players of all skill levels can explore new paths and quickly master the game’s intricate systems.

Each of these career paths will be updated with more content over time that will benefit new and returning players.

View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy
Jun 17, 2021, 14:39
Kxmode

Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 17, 2021, 14:39
Jun 17, 2021, 14:39
 Kxmode

Simon Says wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 23:20:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 18:25:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 01:24:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 13, 2021, 22:15:
Because no other MMO has an "academy" to learn how to play the game. That pretty much sums up EVE Online.
Deepest wildest sandbox game indeed.

Not sarcasm.

People won't stay with the game as long as it has a steep learning curve. The academy isn't going to fix what is fundamentally a niche game. And as others noted, bringing a new player into an environment with established veterans isn't going to do well for the game's population. The game isn't friendly to new people in so many ways. The only solution is to do a server reset and make everyone level.

I played this game for 20 years, so gonna chime in on this.

I think it wouldn't make everyone level. Character skills, isk and assets is only 1 part, probably the smallest in terms of power influence in this game.

Experience cannot be reset, knowledge of the game mechanics, contacts and resources, organization, etc.

When I think back about the new player to Eve I was during the beta and now, it's night and day.

Think of it like someone who can speedrun a game like Dark Souls at lvl1 20 times over in the time it takes for a new player to slog through the whole thing.

If anything, I think it would consolidate power even more in the hands of fewer corporations and players who know how to game the system, have a deep contact network in place and know the game in and out. Those would still get a pretty big headstart compared to new players who know nothing. I know I would, not as big as some other much better players, but I definitely would.

I agree with you. Resetting the game doesn't wipe out experience, but it does create a level playing field for new players, effectively starting everyone at the beginning.

I'm not too keen on corporation consolidation. That's creating a monopoly, which is on the cusp of becoming a dictatorship or tyranny. Either of those would be significantly worse for the game's environment and economy.
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jun 14, 2021, 23:20
Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 23:20
Jun 14, 2021, 23:20

Kxmode wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 18:25:
Because no other MMO has an "academy" to learn how to play the game. That pretty much sums up EVE Online.

Not sarcasm.

People won't stay with the game as long as it has a steep learning curve. The academy isn't going to fix what is fundamentally a niche game. And as others noted, bringing a new player into an environment with established veterans isn't going to do well for the game's population. The game isn't friendly to new people in so many ways. The only solution is to do a server reset and make everyone level.

I played this game for 20 years, so gonna chime in on this.

I think it wouldn't make everyone level. Character skills, isk and assets is only 1 part, probably the smallest in terms of power influence in this game.

Experience cannot be reset, knowledge of the game mechanics, contacts and resources, organization, etc.

When I think back about the new player to Eve I was during the beta and now, it's night and day.

Think of it like someone who can speedrun a game like Dark Souls at lvl1 20 times over in the time it takes for a new player to slog through the whole thing.

If anything, I think it would consolidate power even more in the hands of fewer corporations and players who know how to game the system, have a deep contact network in place and know the game in and out. Those would still get a pretty big headstart compared to new players who know nothing. I know I would, not as big as some other much better players, but I definitely would.

Jun 14, 2021, 18:25
Kxmode

Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 18:25
Jun 14, 2021, 18:25
 Kxmode

Not sarcasm.

"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jun 14, 2021, 08:52
NKD
Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 08:52
Jun 14, 2021, 08:52
NKD

Hmm just about every major faction has a feeder corporation (or several) that recruit, teach, and gear up newbros to handle the roles that don't require 12 months of training to be effective. EVE University also exists (or I assume it does, I haven't played in years.) It's always going to have a bit of a learning curve but I think the game is friendlier to newbies than people give it credit for.

Burrito of Peace wrote:
tell them their DMCA doesn't mean shit and to go eat a bowl of dicks.

Jun 14, 2021, 07:57
Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 07:57
Jun 14, 2021, 07:57

Jonjonz wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 06:34:
I doubt a hold your hand web site is going to make any difference to new players entering a game where almost all the good real estate, trade, shipping etc. is already cornered by long time veterans and organizations that have vast resources who have little if any need or use for new players.

I'm willing to bet that the more advanced parts of the Academy will be player run. Not only that but it will probably be some kind of "recruitment" tool, for player run corps. You graduate from the Academy, into your corporation of choice. .

Jun 14, 2021, 07:33
Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 07:33
Jun 14, 2021, 07:33

t21….never forget. The game is also pay-to-play which ruins the whole idea.

Jun 14, 2021, 06:34
Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 06:34
Jun 14, 2021, 06:34

I doubt a hold your hand web site is going to make any difference to new players entering a game where almost all the good real estate, trade, shipping etc. is already cornered by long time veterans and organizations that have vast resources who have little if any need or use for new players.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Jun 14, 2021, 02:38
Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 02:38
Jun 14, 2021, 02:38

If EVE ever had a wipe, I'd consider maybe coming back to check it out. The worst thing about eve is that it's so persistent. Can't believe I said that's a bad thing? Well, it's all about the skills your character acquires, a new player will never be on the same equal playing field as a veteran player. All other things being equal, a new player will always lose a fight against a veteran player.

Jun 14, 2021, 01:24
Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 14, 2021, 01:24
Jun 14, 2021, 01:24

Not sarcasm.

Jun 13, 2021, 22:15
Kxmode

Re: EVE Online Getting EVE Academy Jun 13, 2021, 22:15
Jun 13, 2021, 22:15
 Kxmode

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older