10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Into the Black
Jun 14, 2021, 15:05
Re: Into the Black Jun 14, 2021, 15:05
Jun 14, 2021, 15:05

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 10:41:
I can relate somewhat. The closest thing I got to The Talk was a brief question from my mother if I knew how to avoid getting a girl pregnant when I was a junior in HS -- which was annoying because first, I thought it was an insulting question and second because as a nerd (in the 70s) my need for such knowledge approached zero at the time. My father certainly never raised those supposedly typical type of child/adult conversations. However, my parents did curtail the media I was exposed to until probably my junior year of HS. Although I do remember going to see a Dirty Harry film with a friend's mother, but it wasn't the original so I was probably 12 or 13 by then.

I grew up with HBO, meaning that I basically was taught all you need to know about sex from Dream On, Real Sex, Tales from the Crypt, and any number of late Saturday night movies. My parents also had no issue letting me rent virtually anything I wanted, and what I wanted was typically horror movies, which had no shortage of sex.

That said, my Dad did decide he had to give me some kind of talk when he and my mom came up for parents' weekend at college. I had my girlfriend come out to meet them for the first time, and she went to a different school. My parents dropped us back off at my dorm for the night, and she ran into the dorm. My dad, knowing that she must be spending the night, decided to quickly say to me "you know, there are other places to orgasm than the vagina."

I had no words. My brain was broken. They were constantly terrified of some girl intentionally getting pregnant with me. Listen mom, dad, I was 19. I wasn't really a catch for a college girl. I was just some college schmuck, like a few million identical college schmucks.

Jun 14, 2021, 11:36
Re: Into the Black Jun 14, 2021, 11:36
Jun 14, 2021, 11:36

I begged and pleaded to go see Jaws. My much older brother saw "this movie" and i could not understand why i was denied.
Mom relented, i wish she hadn't. I hate scary movies and to this day I'll sink into a theater chair and physically jump at all the right places.
Now once I've seen the flick I don't mind watching it again.

I was a late bloomer and sex ed did not receive as much discussion as it should have. Sitting in the gym with coach jokingly showing a b&w film that barely covered the basics.
But he did add "when in doubt, pull it out." sigh

However i was taught how to safely change a tire, drive a stick, charge/jump start/add water/replace a car battery and other basic vehicle maintenance necessities.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2021, 11:47.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Jun 14, 2021, 11:05
Re: Into the Black Jun 14, 2021, 11:05
Jun 14, 2021, 11:05

Solid actor. Was in a ton of good stuff in the 70s and the 80s to a lesser degree.
"You’re still learning English? That’s the language you speak. How dumb are you?" - Rick Sanchez

Jun 14, 2021, 10:41
Re: Into the Black Jun 14, 2021, 10:41
Jun 14, 2021, 10:41

I can relate somewhat. The closest thing I got to The Talk was a brief question from my mother if I knew how to avoid getting a girl pregnant when I was a junior in HS -- which was annoying because first, I thought it was an insulting question and second because as a nerd (in the 70s) my need for such knowledge approached zero at the time. My father certainly never raised those supposedly typical type of child/adult conversations. However, my parents did curtail the media I was exposed to until probably my junior year of HS. Although I do remember going to see a Dirty Harry film with a friend's mother, but it wasn't the original so I was probably 12 or 13 by then.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 14, 2021, 08:48
Re: Into the Black Jun 14, 2021, 08:48
Jun 14, 2021, 08:48

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 14, 2021, 07:47:
Yeah, neither of those movies are suitable for minors. Did your parents just simply treat you like an adult your entire childhood?
Honestly it was my brother and me, back in the early 70's. My parents we're kind of poor back then and I think it was just cheaper to take us to the movies and I don't think they honestly gave a shit what we saw with them. We never had The Talk with our parents as kids. Sex, God, and jerking off was never mentioned in our household ever (I was born and raised in the South). I think in their own way, it was sort of their way of educating us as to the way the world really was... I mean, they dragged us to Saturday Night Fever and I realized that lowly, paint salesman can be a Disco Queen... and When I saw Dog Day Afternoon with them, I realized at the end of the movie...I was maybe rooting for the wrong person *LOL* Sal, I told you to keep your guard UP!
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Jun 14, 2021, 07:47
Re: Into the Black Jun 14, 2021, 07:47
Jun 14, 2021, 07:47

Yeah, neither of those movies are suitable for minors. Did your parents just simply treat you like an adult your entire childhood?

Jun 14, 2021, 05:11
Re: Into the Black Jun 14, 2021, 05:11
Jun 14, 2021, 05:11

I know that Ned was an incredibly good actor but as a kid, for some reason, my parents dragged me to see the movie Deliverance when I was like 5 years old. I will always remember Ned as the guy squealing like a pig... I know that is a terrible way to think of the guy but apparently my parents gave 0 fucks about dragging me to these R rated movies when I was a kid. They also dragged me to see The Deer Hunter and I think that fucked me up too. Anyway...

Happy Next Week everyone!!!😉
With a damaged Panzer still hunting 'The Haunted Tank' and Gus out of ammo, Jeb knew there was only one option, "Slim, RAM!"

Jun 13, 2021, 22:52
Re: Into the Black Jun 13, 2021, 22:52
Jun 13, 2021, 22:52

It is amazing how applicable the storyline in "Network" still is. I'm not sure what the right word for it is... prophetic, troubling, unsurprising ...

Just saw this headline, "4 mass shootings in 6 hours leave 39 wounded, 5 dead across US". Yep, no problems with guns in the US, there are plenty to go around.

Jun 13, 2021, 21:58
Kxmode

Re: Into the Black Jun 13, 2021, 21:58
Jun 13, 2021, 21:58
 Kxmode

Otisburg?
Miss Teschmacher, she's got her own place.
Otisburg?
It's a little bitty place!
OTISBURG?
"What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate."

Jun 13, 2021, 20:41
Re: Into the Black Jun 13, 2021, 20:41
Jun 13, 2021, 20:41

If you have never seen Beatty's speech in Network, It is worth a watch.

It is timeless and still as 'mind blowing' today as it was back in the 70's

search "ned beatty network monologue" on YouTube
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older