Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive

A bunch of screenshots on Twitter are apparently leaks from Starfield, showing off this upcoming sci-fi RPG from Bethesda Softworks. The ensuing discussion of the leaks prompted a revelation on Twitter from Jeff Grubb of GamesBeat. According to Jeff, his sources confirm that Starfield will be exclusive to PC and Xbox. This makes sense in light of Microsoft's recent acquisition of Bethesda parent ZeniMax. Here's the tweet:
Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC. Period. This is me confirming that.
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive
May 18, 2021, 09:21
Verno

Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 18, 2021, 09:21
May 18, 2021, 09:21
 Verno

Sony has a lot of creative roots whereas Microsoft is traditionally a business software developer. I feel like a lot of that comes through in what they produce and back financially. Microsoft also seems to think you can just buy quality which is true to some extent but then they proceed to micro manage their talent to death and ruin the entire effort. It's pretty absurd that they spent billions of dollars and couldn't even manage to launch a single exclusive for their next gen console. Phil Spencer has made a lot of good moves since taking over but their first party shit is still a disaster. Like it's actually a damned shame because the Series X is a nice piece of kit with nothing but Gamepass back catalog shit to show it off. Hopefully with Bethesda they just send money and do not fuck with the process. If Sony managed to just fart around sequels this generation they would probably still be fine because they are coasting on the immense momentum of the PS4. Hopefully this time Microsoft comes through because jesus christ they spent a ridiculous amount of money and no excuse will be good enough if they fail again. Anyways 20 years in the gaming industry, time to start nailing it again Microsoft.

Just speaking for myself, Nintendo and Sony are generally where I spend my time in the console space. I won a Series X courtesy of Taco Bell last year but it mostly collects dust, no fucking first party shit which is the reason I own consoles at all. People laud Gamepass as some magical savior but it's mostly back catalog stuff I've already played or shit I can get on sale cheaply elsewhere. We'll see what consumers think when Microsoft decides Gamepass has to make money and the $1 a month promotions are over.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village
Watching: The Banishing, Bad Banks, Ted Lasso

May 17, 2021, 12:35
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 17, 2021, 12:35
May 17, 2021, 12:35

RogueSix wrote on May 16, 2021, 12:59:
HorrorScope wrote on May 16, 2021, 12:24:
PS5 will outsell the Xbox, but both will carry very healthy numbers.

It will be extremely embarrassing for Microsoft if Sony really wins this current console gen again. Microsoft has spent dozens of billions of dollars on acquisitions (Zenimax including Bethesda, id, Arkane, Machine Games etc., Double Fine, Obsidian, inXile, Playground Games, Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory...) as well as on building up existing teams as well as on marketing (e.g. Xbox Game Pass) to basically not just defeat but in order to outright annihilate Sony this time around. Microsoft's market cap is almost $2 TRILLION while Sony is a dwarf in comparison at only around $115 billion. It would be a miracle of biblical proportions if Sony came out on top this time.

Well it's going to happen and I think they know it. They needed to stop the bleeding, that's why the money went out.

May 17, 2021, 09:48
Prez

Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 17, 2021, 09:48
May 17, 2021, 09:48
 Prez

Beamer wrote on May 16, 2021, 00:23:
The PS5 selling more, and people saying it has better exclusives, is why this isn't coming to the PS5

Sony couldn't afford the 7+ billion dollar asking price. At least that's what I heard.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 16, 2021, 23:22
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 23:22
May 16, 2021, 23:22

Steele Johnson wrote on May 16, 2021, 10:38:
Does anyone have any confidence that Bethesda can make a good pc game? Not me

They make games? I thought they made Glitch Simulators.

But seriously, no one should be surprised by this news.

May 16, 2021, 15:33
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 15:33
May 16, 2021, 15:33

El Pit wrote on May 16, 2021, 15:04:
PC master race and stuff, you know.

Yes. Exactly .

And I don't care who "wins" the console market, but as an interested bystander I can say that my personal opinion is that Microsoft is moving into an interesting direction. They will be going full software/games only, I guess.

Maybe... but obviously not this generation... and there's been many rumors that Sony will be doing the same. That is, if Sony lives to see that day. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony will have to shut down their entertainment division in a few years because of Microsoft's dominance.
Microsoft has dicked around so far but now they are getting serious and no one except maybe Google or Amazon is going to stand a chance against a serious Microsoft. Sony is dead if Microsoft really wants it and apparently this console gen they do. Microsoft lost Xbone vs. PS4 by a landslide. Microsoft are mad, angry and in a mood to kill for revenge. Their exclusives will take care of squashing Sony like a shitty little fly.

And I think with all the stuff I don't like but will happen anyway in the future (it might take another decade or so) like streaming only, games as a service, and so on, they are more future proof than Sony with exclusives and hardware.

Even though it's not been very successful, Sony has actually been a pioneer in streaming with the Gaikai acquisition. I'm not sure why you claim to be neutral and then try to paint a picture of a totally backwards Sony. Sony did streaming first. And, as I said, there have been many rumors that Sony was about to ditch hardware this gen already. I'm actually pretty sure that this isn't really the sole decision of either MS or Sony anyway. They will do, or even have to do, what the big publishers demand. MS and Sony may be competitors but there has got to be a certain basic level of cooperation between all parties involved for a viable multi billion dollar console market. The "market" (gamers/publishers) still made a case for discs so they got it.

But we will see this in 10 years or so. Nevertheless, this "my console sells more than yours" is so... Whatever. I am old. And will be playing on my pc for as long as I can which hopefully will be another decade or two maybe.

Same here. PCMR 4ever . However, especially as a PC gamer, I am wary of too much Microsoft dominance. They own Windows and DirectX but all they care about obviously is singing the high praises of the Xbox. Xbox this, Xbox that. They are playing nice now because they want to sell games, MTX and subs. Their Xbox subscription service is obviously bait. They are trying to lure as many people as possible into the Xbox eco system. It won't stay that cheap and knowing Microsoft it won't necessarily stay fair in the long term. Sorry, but as an old gamer who knows Microsoft's history I just don't trust them one bit.

May 16, 2021, 15:04
El Pit

Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 15:04
May 16, 2021, 15:04
 El Pit

RogueSix wrote on May 16, 2021, 14:19:
El Pit wrote on May 16, 2021, 13:53:
R6, I really don't care about consoles, but the shortage of ALL consoles might have to do something with a pandemic and chip shortage? MAYBE? Just a guess?

That's why I put the " Wink " similie there because I was (apparently miserably) trying a joke about your "on its way out of the console hardware market" .

Nobody will take your PS5 away from you.

Nice try playing the fanboi card when you are sounding like a diehard MS defender yourself but I'm 100% PCMR . I generally dislike consoles but I will admit that Microsoft Xbox is an extra sore spot because of all the massive damage Microsoft has done to PC gaming over the last two decades. They are currently seemingly redeeming themselves a little bit but they can not be trusted. I'm sure they would still love to enforce a Windows Store exclusive UWP app walled garden if they could. They are obviously not even acknowledging PC gaming anymore. Everything that has anything to do with gaming is called "Xbox", even in Windows.

It also remains a fact that Microsoft has poured billions upon billions of dollars into buying their victory this gen. Sony is the complete underdog this time. Microsoft has almost 20x the market cap of Sony. It's not even a competition. If Manchester United (that's a soccer team for ya yanks ) would be buying an all star team with billions upon billions of pounds then it would be embarrassing as fuck if they would not win the premier league. Due to the insane investments, Microsoft MUST win this console gen by default. Anything else would be a devastating embarrassment for them.

However, as I said, it would also be a miracle so all I can say to the resident MS fanbois is: Relax. The victory won't be decided in the first couple of years anyway. Remember PS3 vs. X360? Sony was late to market with more expensive hardware and MS pulled ahead for several years before Sony finally managed to catch up by the end of the gen. Sony PS5 may be in the lead now but give it some time until the chip shortages resolve. It will only take a few exclusive blockbusters like Starfield, TES VI, the next Dooms and Wolfensteins and so on and you will see the XSX take the lead by several million units.
I didn't want to write it but what you have written before made you sound like a hardcore Sony shill to me, sooo... Again. Believe it or not. I don't care about consoles, my last one was an Atari 2600 and I won't buy another one. PC master race and stuff, you know. And I don't care who "wins" the console market, but as an interested bystander I can say that my personal opinion is that Microsoft is moving into an interesting direction. They will be going full software/games only, I guess. And I think with all the stuff I don't like but will happen anyway in the future (it might take another decade or so) like streaming only, games as a service, and so on, they are more future proof than Sony with exclusives and hardware. But we will see this in 10 years or so. Nevertheless, this "my console sells more than yours" is so... Whatever. I am old. And will be playing on my pc for as long as I can which hopefully will be another decade or two maybe.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

May 16, 2021, 14:19
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 14:19
May 16, 2021, 14:19

El Pit wrote on May 16, 2021, 13:53:
R6, I really don't care about consoles, but the shortage of ALL consoles might have to do something with a pandemic and chip shortage? MAYBE? Just a guess?

That's why I put the " Wink " similie there because I was (apparently miserably) trying a joke about your "on its way out of the console hardware market" .

Nobody will take your PS5 away from you.

Nice try playing the fanboi card when you are sounding like a diehard MS defender yourself but I'm 100% PCMR . I generally dislike consoles but I will admit that Microsoft Xbox is an extra sore spot because of all the massive damage Microsoft has done to PC gaming over the last two decades. They are currently seemingly redeeming themselves a little bit but they can not be trusted. I'm sure they would still love to enforce a Windows Store exclusive UWP app walled garden if they could. They are obviously not even acknowledging PC gaming anymore. Everything that has anything to do with gaming is called "Xbox", even in Windows.

It also remains a fact that Microsoft has poured billions upon billions of dollars into buying their victory this gen. Sony is the complete underdog this time. Microsoft has almost 20x the market cap of Sony. It's not even a competition. If Manchester United (that's a soccer team for ya yanks ) would be buying an all star team with billions upon billions of pounds then it would be embarrassing as fuck if they would not win the premier league. Due to the insane investments, Microsoft MUST win this console gen by default. Anything else would be a devastating embarrassment for them.

However, as I said, it would also be a miracle so all I can say to the resident MS fanbois is: Relax. The victory won't be decided in the first couple of years anyway. Remember PS3 vs. X360? Sony was late to market with more expensive hardware and MS pulled ahead for several years before Sony finally managed to catch up by the end of the gen. Sony PS5 may be in the lead now but give it some time until the chip shortages resolve. It will only take a few exclusive blockbusters like Starfield, TES VI, the next Dooms and Wolfensteins and so on and you will see the XSX take the lead by several million units.

May 16, 2021, 13:53
El Pit

Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 13:53
May 16, 2021, 13:53
 El Pit

RogueSix wrote on May 16, 2021, 13:45:
El Pit wrote on May 16, 2021, 13:09:
I doubt it would be embarrassing because M$ is obviously on its way out of the console hardware market.

That would explain the XSX shortages but given the fact that there are actual XSXs in the wild, we can hardly say that Microsoft is "on its way out of the console hardware market" THIS currently ongoing generation Wink . And this currently ongoing generation they have poured many, many, many billion dollars to buy their way to victory. It would be massively embarrassing if all that investment went *poof* and if Sony would come out on top yet again. Massively. Embarrassing.

R6, I really don't care about consoles, but the shortage of ALL consoles might have to do something with a pandemic and chip shortage? MAYBE? Just a guess? So chill, bro. Nobody will take your PS5 away from you. But you might be playing Microsoft's games on the PS 6 or 7 in about 5 to 10 years. As I said: Microsoft's idea seems to be "leave the expensive hardware development and sales stuff to the others and take over as much of the profitable games market on ALL consoles and the pc ASAP". And this is exactly what M$ is doing right now while Sony is still caring about "exclusives".

EDIT: And the best selling consoles are made by... NINTENDO.

May 16, 2021, 13:45
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 13:45
May 16, 2021, 13:45

El Pit wrote on May 16, 2021, 13:09:
I doubt it would be embarrassing because M$ is obviously on its way out of the console hardware market.

That would explain the XSX shortages but given the fact that there are actual XSXs in the wild, we can hardly say that Microsoft is "on its way out of the console hardware market" THIS currently ongoing generation Wink . And this currently ongoing generation they have poured many, many, many billion dollars to buy their way to victory. It would be massively embarrassing if all that investment went *poof* and if Sony would come out on top yet again. Massively. Embarrassing.

May 16, 2021, 13:09
El Pit

Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 13:09
May 16, 2021, 13:09
 El Pit

RogueSix wrote on May 16, 2021, 12:59:

It will be extremely embarrassing for Microsoft if Sony really wins this current console gen again. Microsoft has spent dozens of billions of dollars on acquisitions (Zenimax including Bethesda, id, Arkane, Machine Games etc., Double Fine, Obsidian, inXile, Playground Games, Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory...) as well as on building up existing teams as well as on marketing (e.g. Xbox Game Pass) to basically not just defeat but in order to outright annihilate Sony this time around. Microsoft's market cap is almost $2 TRILLION while Sony is a dwarf in comparison at only around $115 billion. It would be a miracle of biblical proportions if Sony came out on top this time.

I doubt it would be embarrassing because M$ is obviously on its way out of the console hardware market. They will be offering a huge catalogue of games on EVERY console - remember that console hardware is sold by Sony and Microsoft at a loss. So let Sony and others do the hardware and then sell the games/software on it which (as M$ hopes) will make them a lot of money.

May 16, 2021, 12:59
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 12:59
May 16, 2021, 12:59

May 16, 2021, 12:24
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 12:24
May 16, 2021, 12:24

bigspender wrote on May 16, 2021, 00:57:
SirKnight wrote on May 16, 2021, 00:39:
bigspender wrote on May 15, 2021, 17:12:
Too bad nobody bought an Xbox. PS5 wins this generation's console wars

I bought a Series X. I love it. I have no interest in a PS5. Calling a winner now is just stupid.

Whether you like your xbox or not makes no difference to sales numbers which clear show PS5 as the console winner. PS5 is the best selling console of all time.

PS5 is not the best selling console of all time.
Perhaps it is the fastest selling console of all time up to this point.
And with MS locking in important exclusives and they say more can be forthcoming, that means to get nearly all the games you have to own both consoles again, where last gen you could lock into a PS4 safely and be satisfied.
I've been calling console evolution fairly accurate for a number of years. To me it seems everyone would benefit if they joined alliances and offer one console or 100% compatible consoles. Pride is a tough sin to overcome though. But it would save each money they now spend in research, mfg and marketing, they could make the alliance where they both get equal windfall, new company equally owned.

Consoles to me could be more uniting yet and the most important thing for a console player is the ease of use. While we know PC's aren't hard once you get it all, the learning curve is getting it all, to be fair consoles now have some learning curve to with all their features. So there will always be a place where there are millions that want to have it on a silver platter and that is what consoles bring. I have a friend that recently went PC, the great news is their new job required them to have one, but this person is wired to be a console player, at least up to this point in their lives.

May 16, 2021, 10:38
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 10:38
May 16, 2021, 10:38

Does anyone have any confidence that Bethesda can make a good pc game? Not me

May 16, 2021, 07:22
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 07:22
May 16, 2021, 07:22

I bought a Series X. I love it. I have no interest in a PS5. Calling a winner now is just stupid.

Whether you like your xbox or not makes no difference to sales numbers which clear show PS5 as the console winner. PS5 is the best selling console of all time.

The only reason Sony is winning is because they made more consoles initially and there are no chips to lmake more atm. MS has been too conservative in their initial launch volume, if they made 10 million consoles initially they would have all sold and they would be in the lead, maybe only due to people wanting to buy one and not beeing able to find a PS5 but they messed up bigtime imo.

May 16, 2021, 06:01
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 06:01
May 16, 2021, 06:01

It’s interesting really, the only thing the ps5 has over the xbX is the exclusives. Hardware is worse(least in terms of compute), service wrapper is worse, backwards compt is worse, save comparability is worse.

Will be funny to see if Microsoft’s more eco system and consumer friendly approach works out for them. Let’s face it, can’t be worse than the xbox one launch

This comment was edited on May 16, 2021, 06:57.
Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

May 16, 2021, 04:11
El Pit

Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 04:11
May 16, 2021, 04:11
 El Pit

Don't care about consoles as long as this gets a pc release and the game and its controls are great for keyboard and mouse.

May 16, 2021, 02:03
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 02:03
May 16, 2021, 02:03

If it's like Skyrim and Fallout 4, then it will be best experienced on a PC anyway.
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

May 16, 2021, 00:57
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 00:57
May 16, 2021, 00:57

May 16, 2021, 00:39
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 00:39
May 16, 2021, 00:39

May 16, 2021, 00:23
Re: Starfield a PC and Xbox Exclusive May 16, 2021, 00:23
May 16, 2021, 00:23

The PS5 selling more, and people saying it has better exclusives, is why this isn't coming to the PS5
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older