Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI

View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI
May 16, 2021, 03:20
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI May 16, 2021, 03:20
May 16, 2021, 03:20

What? Did goons think that they would lower their game prices because it was cheaper for them to host it? Hahaha.

May 15, 2021, 16:05
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI May 15, 2021, 16:05
May 15, 2021, 16:05

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2021, 14:33:
I don't think this is inconsistent, right?

Personally, I never expected games to be cheaper. They've never been cheaper than right now, accounting for inflation.
I'd expect them to be better polished, and I'd expect developers to be able to handle lower sales without shuttering. I'd expect lower sales numbers needed for sequels.

But no one is lowering prices. These games take hundreds of people years to make.
People who say that Valve's most favored nation clause, which stipulates that game prices on other stores can't be lower than on Steam, is unfair and anti-consumer are arguing that prices would be cheaper. There's an ongoing lawsuit on this basis, I think by some random gamers, and Sweeney has complained about it.

But the required assumption is that customers (gamers) would be unwilling to pay higher prices if they knew the developers were getting more money per sale, pushing the optimal price point on the Epic Store lower than it would be on the Steam store. Or that companies don't want to make too much money. There's not really any other reason that a developer would want to sell a game for $60 on Steam but $52 on the Epic Games Store. In actuality I'm pretty sure the big game companies have already decided that $60 is their optimal point, and the size of the developer's cut is irrelevant. Whether they get 1% or 99% off of each sale, they'll make the most money at $60 on every store.

May 15, 2021, 14:33
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI May 15, 2021, 14:33
May 15, 2021, 14:33

Jonjonz wrote on May 15, 2021, 06:23:
Funny how all the Steam haters shut up when facts like this come to light, blowing away one their cherished ranting points.

I don't think this is inconsistent, right?

Personally, I never expected games to be cheaper. They've never been cheaper than right now, accounting for inflation.
I'd expect them to be better polished, and I'd expect developers to be able to handle lower sales without shuttering. I'd expect lower sales numbers needed for sequels.

But no one is lowering prices. These games take hundreds of people years to make.

May 15, 2021, 14:04
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI May 15, 2021, 14:04
May 15, 2021, 14:04

Yeah, you'd think this thread would have a ton of comments by now, but *crickets*...

May 15, 2021, 13:27
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI May 15, 2021, 13:27
May 15, 2021, 13:27

This has been my big problem with EGS, and other game storefronts more generally, since the beginning.

People are always like "Steam having competition is good!" Yeah, it is, if you're a game publisher looking to improve your bottom line. But they aren't competing on the consumer side. None of those savings get passed on. You'd expect games over on EGS to be routinely ~$5 cheaper, with the remainder of the savings going into the publisher's pocket. But that isn't what happens. They keep the whole thing.

That's great for the publisher, but unless you're a believer in some kind of advanced trickle down gaming economics, the publisher making more money doesn't translate into 15% better games. It translates into better cars for executives.
Reticulating Splines

May 15, 2021, 06:23
Re: Epic v. Apple Exhibits - Part XVI May 15, 2021, 06:23
May 15, 2021, 06:23

Funny how all the Steam haters shut up when facts like this come to light, blowing away one their cherished ranting points.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older