19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews
May 14, 2021, 18:33
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 18:33
May 14, 2021, 18:33

Verno wrote on May 14, 2021, 15:05:
Dash wrote on May 14, 2021, 14:24:
I was fine with the first one, right up until 'Oh Warpers and Blood Kelp.' Also would have liked more effective Leviathan deterrents. Might have to poke at it again now that I got a Rift... though debating on a better headset to get.

The VR stuff for Subnautica is disastrous, I would not recommend it at all.
I've played some pretty janky stuff in VR, especially in VR ports. No Man's Sky has single digit frame rates at lowest settings on a 6600K/1070. Borderlands 2 VR doesn't control well at all. I hear Fallout 4 and DOOM VR are no great shakes, either. But Subnautica's the only game I've played where game text runs off the view -- all the tutorial and other popup text is right at the edge of the screen, and it follows your head as you turn. And the developers have stated it's working as intended, so welp. I think there's a VR mod that ameliorates this and other issues, but man.

There are people who swear by the game in VR, though, since there's nothing else really like it. A VR-only game can't afford to create a huge map and populate it with lots of points of interest, so if you're looking for a good exploration game you usually have to put up with some jank from VR ports. But Subnautica wasn't made with Bethesda or Take Two money, so they just couldn't put much effort into it.

May 14, 2021, 16:28
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 16:28
May 14, 2021, 16:28

Quinn wrote on May 14, 2021, 16:17:
I was fine with the first one, right up until 'Oh Warpers and Blood Kelp.' Also would have liked more effective Leviathan deterrents. Might have to poke at it again now that I got a Rift... though debating on a better headset to get.

Ouch, Dash, the Rift is already AOL. Facebook/Oculus is dropping it. Unlike the Quest 2, which they support greatly. I switched from a Rift to the Quest 2 and it's a world of difference playing my PC games wireless. The Quest 2 now officially supports wireless PC gaming with Air Link, but the Virtual Desktop workaround is still better.

You need a dedicated 5ghz SSID only to be used by your Quest 2 or it will be a stutter fest. But if you fix yourself a dedicated SSID like that, in the same room where you play, and your PC is connected to your router with a LAN cable... then it's party time. Zero issues. I am relatively speaking one of only a handful of VR players who experienced Alyx on a wireless VR set, and it's the best. Somehow ppl pay 1k+ for other, wired headsets. Not smart.

Eh. I got it from a friend for like 150 [with extra sensors], and I'm planning on either the new Reverb, or something else. Not sure I want to get a Quest2 or anything else tied to facebook. [Yes, I got a rift, but for some weird reason, I apparently had an Occulus account, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ] Cabling doesn't bother me all that much, as I have a hanging hook setup with retractable cords to use. Not sure if my router has 5ghz to split for that, if I went that route, but its somethin to look into. As for the cost, yeah. 1k$ for a wired headset is freaking ridiculous. The Index should have dropped sub-800$ at this point, though I'm curious on their next one thats supposedly wireless, and balanced MUCH better on the head.
I use the Rift so I can at least get my brain calibrated for VR use. Got all pukey trying VR Chat the first few times, and even now it makes me feel wibbly, but Alyx I'm fine with. So not sure if its a refresh rate or somethin...

I'm also kind of curious if one of the VR hardware makers decides to do like a wireless box, straight through usb3, rather than having to go through the router.

May 14, 2021, 16:17
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 16:17
May 14, 2021, 16:17

Ouch, Dash, the Rift is already EOL. Facebook/Oculus is dropping it. Unlike the Quest 2, which they support greatly. I switched from a Rift to the Quest 2 and it's a world of difference playing my PC games wireless. The Quest 2 now officially supports wireless PC gaming with Air Link, but the Virtual Desktop workaround is still better.

You need a dedicated 5ghz SSID only to be used by your Quest 2 or it will be a stutter fest. But if you fix yourself a dedicated SSID like that, in the same room where you play, and your PC is connected to your router with a LAN cable... then it's party time. Zero issues. I am relatively speaking one of only a handful of VR players who experienced Alyx on a wireless VR set, and it's the best. Somehow ppl pay 1k+ for other, wired headsets. Not smart.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2021, 02:23.

May 14, 2021, 15:06
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 15:06
May 14, 2021, 15:06

Verno wrote on May 14, 2021, 11:39:
TheBigVlad wrote on May 14, 2021, 00:55:
I played about 75% through this late last year and it was pretty good. Underwater exploration is still as awesome as it was in the previous game. On foot exploration is a bit underwhelming, and that's pretty much a universal sentiment I think. It's not terrible, but it can be easy to get lost and you have to keep warm by finding cover or hot spots, which can be annoying. Story and voice acting are pretty standard, but those aspects of the game weren't finished when I played so I can't say too much about that. I'd say if you enjoyed Subnautica, then you'll probably enjoy this as well, even though the additions to Below Zero turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag in my opinion. I'm looking forward to reinstalling and completing it.

I loved the first game, warts and all. I've never really played anything with such a great sense of wonder and awe, you can get hopelessly lost in the best ways. So many interesting discovers and things to see. It has that feel of being procedurally generated but they hand curated the map and it shows. I loved the staggered progression in the form of schematics, felt very natural and I was constantly just about at my limit of exploration when I would finish one and then start the process over again. The survival mechanics were just enough to keep the player feeling a sense of danger but stopped short of being annoying. Very compelling gameplay loop, just enough story to keep things interesting and man that sense of awe. I remember taking the cyclops to the Lava Lakes and holy crap, that was crazy. By the end I had 2-3 huge bases setup at various depths, I had geeked out building in a way that I hadn't since Minecraft.

I've heard mixed feedback about this one but I'm going to give it a shot because I probably still owe them quite a bit considering all of the hours I put into the first game.
I tried this in VR and bounced off. Maybe I should try it again flat screen. I really enjoy similar games like MC, Valheim, NMS, etc.

EDIT: I just read what you wrote about VR, makes sense.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

May 14, 2021, 15:05
Verno

Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 15:05
May 14, 2021, 15:05
 Verno

The VR stuff for Subnautica is disastrous, I would not recommend it at all.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village
Watching: The Banishing, Bad Banks, Ted Lasso

May 14, 2021, 14:43
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 14:43
May 14, 2021, 14:43

Beamer wrote on May 14, 2021, 09:54:
I loved the first one, until I didn't.

Essentially, until I got the good gear. Then, suddenly, it stopped being fun. Too much risk. It took me hours to collect the stuff to build that. If it gets lost or trashed, it would take longer because all the resources near my base were depleted to build it. So taking it somewhere that it may get destroyed, or end up without power in a place impossible to bring more power to, sounded stressful instead of fun.

I think I probably needed a mod that would allow me to rebuild stuff for a minor penalty. I didn't find the amount of fun/value needed to continue through the plot worth the risk of having to rebuild stuff that took a LOT to build. But I'm also not really much of a survival game type. Minecraft playthroughs, which I do every few years, usually end after I lose something that took me a long time to get and simply don't have the interest in getting again (or, more accurately, I think they always end after I finally find a really cool mine with lots of stuff, build a system to get through it, somehow die, end up back where I started, and can never find that mine again.)
Can you save scum?
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

May 14, 2021, 14:24
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 14:24
May 14, 2021, 14:24

May 14, 2021, 11:48
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 11:48
May 14, 2021, 11:48

It was the opposite for me, the risk involved with making those deep expeditions is what made them so fun and interesting. It's like planning a trip to space, making sure you have enough supplies to last X amount of time, and then keeping an eye on your fuel reserves so you don't go too far and run out before you make it back. But you soon discover the reality, that there are MANY locations down there more than suitable for additional bases, including some pre-fab buildings stocked with goodies... Now THAT is where the experience started to deflate, lol, it became too safe.

May 14, 2021, 11:39
Verno

Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 11:39
May 14, 2021, 11:39
 Verno

I played about 75% through this late last year and it was pretty good. Underwater exploration is still as awesome as it was in the previous game. On foot exploration is a bit underwhelming, and that's pretty much a universal sentiment I think. It's not terrible, but it can be easy to get lost and you have to keep warm by finding cover or hot spots, which can be annoying. Story and voice acting are pretty standard, but those aspects of the game weren't finished when I played so I can't say too much about that. I'd say if you enjoyed Subnautica, then you'll probably enjoy this as well, even though the additions to Below Zero turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag in my opinion. I'm looking forward to reinstalling and completing it.

I loved the first game, warts and all. I've never really played anything with such a great sense of wonder and awe, you can get hopelessly lost in the best ways. So many interesting discovers and things to see. It has that feel of being procedurally generated but they hand curated the map and it shows. I loved the staggered progression in the form of schematics, felt very natural and I was constantly just about at my limit of exploration when I would finish one and then start the process over again. The survival mechanics were just enough to keep the player feeling a sense of danger but stopped short of being annoying. Very compelling gameplay loop, just enough story to keep things interesting and man that sense of awe. I remember taking the cyclops to the Lava Lakes and holy crap, that was crazy. By the end I had 2-3 huge bases setup at various depths, I had geeked out building in a way that I hadn't since Minecraft.

I've heard mixed feedback about this one but I'm going to give it a shot because I probably still owe them quite a bit considering all of the hours I put into the first game.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village
Watching: The Banishing, Bad Banks, Ted Lasso

May 14, 2021, 10:53
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 10:53
May 14, 2021, 10:53

WannaLogAlready wrote on May 14, 2021, 10:38:
Essentially, until I got the good gear. Then, suddenly, it stopped being fun. Too much risk. It took me hours to collect the stuff to build that. If it gets lost or trashed, it would take longer because all the resources near my base were depleted to build it. ...

Xero wrote on May 14, 2021, 10:13:
I was looking forward to this game until I really understood what a survival type game truly is. Then I realized, it feels like I'm playing a job. Like, get this to craft that to make this so you can craft that to make this and craft that and AAAAAAH F********K IIIITTTTT!!! ...

Guys, why suffer or bear games when you can enjoy them ?

Make the game your game, modify what you dislike.
Lost something, re-load before it happened, get what you need, like right now.
Is it too slow or too fast, mod that tempo.

--- Nexus mods.
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/categories

"Autosave", automatic, after a time you set.
"Subnautica Save Backup - Revamped".
"QModManager 4", "QMod SAM", "VersionChecker", etc, mod managers.
Etc.

https://twinfinite.net/2021/04/best-subnautica-mods/

At some point, there are other games. Rather than completely change a game, I'll find one that I enjoy more.
Not that I don't mod, I mod the hell out of the XCOM games and FTL, to the point that they're almost different games, but the core gameplay is the same.

May 14, 2021, 10:38
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 10:38
May 14, 2021, 10:38

Essentially, until I got the good gear. Then, suddenly, it stopped being fun. Too much risk. It took me hours to collect the stuff to build that. If it gets lost or trashed, it would take longer because all the resources near my base were depleted to build it. ...

Xero wrote on May 14, 2021, 10:13:
I was looking forward to this game until I really understood what a survival type game truly is. Then I realized, it feels like I'm playing a job. Like, get this to craft that to make this so you can craft that to make this and craft that and AAAAAAH F********K IIIITTTTT!!! ...

Guys, why suffer or bear games when you can enjoy them ?

Make the game your game, modify what you dislike.
Lost something, re-load before it happened, get what you need, like right now.
Is it too slow or too fast, mod that tempo.

--- Nexus mods.
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/categories

"Autosave", automatic, after a time you set.
"Subnautica Save Backup - Revamped".
"QModManager 4", "QMod SAM", "VersionChecker", etc, mod managers.
Etc.

https://twinfinite.net/2021/04/best-subnautica-mods/

May 14, 2021, 10:13
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 10:13
May 14, 2021, 10:13

I was looking forward to this game until I really understood what a survival type game truly is. Then I realized, it feels like I'm playing a job. Like, get this to craft that to make this so you can craft that to make this and craft that and AAAAAAH F********K IIIITTTTT!!!

No but really, this and No Man's Sky were huge disappointments for me. They showed a lot of potential until the stress of needing to get resources constantly felt like a timer over your head. Now I'm at the point where I don't understand how anyone can like these games but if you do, cool, power to you. I just can't anymore.

May 14, 2021, 09:55
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 09:55
May 14, 2021, 09:55

aka_STEVE wrote on May 14, 2021, 09:32:
First game was so good. Relaxing - then scary.
I look forward to this new one.
The last time I tried it was over a year & a half ago and it didn't even have the gun you needed to build stuff yet. There was not much to do but wander around , check it out. You could 'hack' into the console commands to get a build gun to at least goof around some more.

Don't you feel you wasted that first impression awe of the full game you're now never going to get, by goofing around a pre-alpha build? I truly don't get it why people rob themselves of that with al that pre-alpha "early access" stuff.

May 14, 2021, 09:54
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 09:54
May 14, 2021, 09:54

Essentially, until I got the good gear. Then, suddenly, it stopped being fun. Too much risk. It took me hours to collect the stuff to build that. If it gets lost or trashed, it would take longer because all the resources near my base were depleted to build it. So taking it somewhere that it may get destroyed, or end up without power in a place impossible to bring more power to, sounded stressful instead of fun.

I think I probably needed a mod that would allow me to rebuild stuff for a minor penalty. I didn't find the amount of fun/value needed to continue through the plot worth the risk of having to rebuild stuff that took a LOT to build. But I'm also not really much of a survival game type. Minecraft playthroughs, which I do every few years, usually end after I lose something that took me a long time to get and simply don't have the interest in getting again (or, more accurately, I think they always end after I finally find a really cool mine with lots of stuff, build a system to get through it, somehow die, end up back where I started, and can never find that mine again.)

May 14, 2021, 09:32
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 09:32
May 14, 2021, 09:32

First game was so good. Relaxing - then scary.
I look forward to this new one.
The last time I tried it was over a year & a half ago and it didn't even have the gun you needed to build stuff yet. There was not much to do but wander around , check it out. You could 'hack' into the console commands to get a build gun to at least goof around some more.

May 14, 2021, 02:44
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 02:44
May 14, 2021, 02:44

jdreyer wrote on May 14, 2021, 01:50:
Did you play flat screen or VR?

Flat screen only. I have no experience with VR at all.

May 14, 2021, 01:50
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 01:50

Good to hear. I'll definitely be getting down on this at some point. I dabbled with Subnautica for ages before finally finishing it. Really loved it . How you could have places that are just so relaxing...and others scaring the crap out of you.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 01:50

Did you play flat screen or VR?

May 14, 2021, 00:55
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Reviews May 14, 2021, 00:55
May 14, 2021, 00:55

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older