Out of the Blue

Happy Mother's Day. If you are a mother, here's hoping you are being properly honored today. For the rest of us, let's make sure we take the proper time to thank all appropriate honorees, including moms, grandmoms, mothers and grandmothers of your children and grandchildren, adoptive moms, step-moms, pet-moms, and baby mamas.

Obituary: Bo the dog: Obamas announce the death of the former first family's dog.

Maternal Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Link

Science
Thanks Max.

Media
Thanks The Flying Penguin.

Follow-ups
Thanks RedEye9.

View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 10, 2021, 12:17
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2021, 12:17
May 10, 2021, 12:17

Prez wrote on May 10, 2021, 11:33:
It was the best that could be done THEN. We can do better now.
Our lowest bidders are better now?
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Re: How Gravity Is a Double Copy of Other Forces.
May 10, 2021, 12:10
Re: How Gravity Is a Double Copy of Other Forces. May 10, 2021, 12:10
May 10, 2021, 12:10

Interesting stuff. I didn't know, "Most theorists assume that gravity actually pushes us around through particles, called gravitons,..." it seems counter intuitive given the interactions we see between stars and planets. Light can't escape a black hole because the black hole is emitting particles which push light into it? I am in no way saying they are wrong, just saying the concept is difficult to visualize for this lowly non-physicist.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 10, 2021, 11:35
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2021, 11:35
May 10, 2021, 11:35

The Flying Penguin wrote on May 10, 2021, 10:50:
Make sure those of you interested in such things, check out that link to "America's first nuclear meltdown'.
When you see stuff like this you have to think we are more than just a bit lucky we have manged to avoid an incident which would make Chernobyl look like a minor event.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 10, 2021, 11:33
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2021, 11:33
May 10, 2021, 11:33
 Prez

Armengar wrote on May 10, 2021, 10:40:
Prez wrote on May 9, 2021, 21:17:
‘It’s like the embers in a barbecue pit.’ Nuclear reactions are smoldering again at Chernobyl

I mean, it was an event on a biblical level that was never properly handled. Putting a giant sarcophagus over it and pretending everything is okay isn't going to work. These forces are practically unimaginable in their power.

Problem is, noone knows how to fix it. Noone knows how to disassemble it or store the remains. It cant even be buried since it will contaminate everything. Short of technological breakthroughs, getting rid of "normal" nuclear waste is bad enough, never mind accidental waste spread over a huge site. Putting a cover over it to stop dust getting out (and being able to spray inhibitors) is about the best that can happen.
It was the best that could be done THEN. We can do better now.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 10, 2021, 10:50
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2021, 10:50
May 10, 2021, 10:50

Make sure those of you interested in such things, check out that link to "America's first nuclear meltdown'. It's not Three Mile Island. It's about an incident I've never heard of, and I read up on these things a lot, involving a small experimental reactor run by the Army in the early 60s - a prototype for use as an independent power source for military bases.

It was a gruesome accident. Safety tip: If you have to raise the fuel rods BY HAND and they tend to get stuck, you might want to look for another job.
- "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

May 10, 2021, 10:40
Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2021, 10:40
May 10, 2021, 10:40

‘It’s like the embers in a barbecue pit.’ Nuclear reactions are smoldering again at Chernobyl

I mean, it was an event on a biblical level that was never properly handled. Putting a giant sarcophagus over it and pretending everything is okay isn't going to work. These forces are practically unimaginable in their power.

Problem is, noone knows how to fix it. Noone knows how to disassemble it or store the remains. It cant even be buried since it will contaminate everything. Short of technological breakthroughs, getting rid of "normal" nuclear waste is bad enough, never mind accidental waste spread over a huge site. Putting a cover over it to stop dust getting out (and being able to spray inhibitors) is about the best that can happen.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

May 9, 2021, 22:06
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 22:06
May 9, 2021, 22:06

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet, or even a whole system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 9, 2021, 22:05
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 22:05
May 9, 2021, 22:05

I'll never forget that line in Fallout where the guy standing up for ghoul rights says 'And pooping will no longer be referred to as dropping a ghoul at the pool.'
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 9, 2021, 21:17
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 21:17
May 9, 2021, 21:17
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 9, 2021, 19:13
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 19:13
May 9, 2021, 19:13

I'm not a fan of bill gates, and the fact the real Humanitarian in the family is fleeing him in a divorce because of 'the epstien situation'
is bad, bad news for everyone. The FBI and Justice Dept must be close to charging people now that drumpf/barr are out of the way.
It never ends well when, men with wealth use it's power to control and hurt women.

Here's hoping in the future, mothers are never forced to live with memories of men who used the power of wealth to abuse them.
Whether it's someone like epstien who used wealth to turn young girls into prostitutes. Or someone like bryant who used his wealth to publicly torture
a young girl, to coverup his confession to police. In all these cases they chose to hurt and use others, instead of helping them.

It sounds like preventing men from having overt wealth, would make the world a better and safer place for mothers, everyday. Lighter
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

May 9, 2021, 17:48
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 17:48
May 9, 2021, 17:48

My bad.
I went by YouTube‘s one year ago label which goes all the way to May 22, 2019 (???), I thought one year ago would’ve meant one year ago.
Anyway this is the second to last video in the Submarine series and in a way it’s a little more How To Live and catch all than the others. Showering, sleeping, toilet operations, medical, yeoman, cribbage and more.
The last video will involve breaking through the ice and surfacing.
Can’t wait.

May 9, 2021, 17:28
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 17:28
May 9, 2021, 17:28

RedEye9 wrote on May 9, 2021, 16:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 9, 2021, 16:12:
I legit don't click on Smarter Every Day links anymore, feels like 90% of the content has to do with US military nowadays, probably way off with that percentage, but it just feels like it.
https://www.youtube.com/c/smartereveryday/videos
In the last year he’s done approximately 40 videos of which 10-12 could be considered military, with half of those related to the Submarine series. Majority of those being “How to live/survive” and ”How it works” videos about submarine tech and life which I find extremely interesting.
Nothing really glorifying the military.

I count 12 of 21 in 1 year .. ~58% as in, this year* back 11 months and 30 days

To clarify, I have sorted subs, and science channels pushing military content get removed from em.... so I noticed this when nearly every 2nd video was about something or another militaristic in the last year. Which, to be fair, was a year where I paid more attention than usual to my sub feed (pun intended)

This comment was edited on May 9, 2021, 17:39.

May 9, 2021, 16:59
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 16:59
May 9, 2021, 16:59

eRe4s3r wrote on May 9, 2021, 16:12:
I legit don't click on Smarter Every Day links anymore, feels like 90% of the content has to do with US military nowadays, probably way off with that percentage, but it just feels like it.
https://www.youtube.com/c/smartereveryday/videos
In the last year he’s done approximately 40 videos of which 10-12 could be considered military, with half of those related to the Submarine series. Majority of those being “How to live/survive” and ”How it works” videos about submarine tech and life which I find extremely interesting.
Nothing really glorifying the military.

May 9, 2021, 16:12
Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2021, 16:12
May 9, 2021, 16:12

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older