16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Never call it autopilot when it's not autopilot
May 13, 2021, 08:05
Never call it autopilot when it's not autopilot May 13, 2021, 08:05
May 13, 2021, 08:05

authorities got multiple 911 calls Monday evening that a person was in the back of the Tesla Model 3 while the vehicle traveled on Interstate 80 across the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge

In an interview with The Associated Press Wednesday, Sharma said he did nothing wrong, and he'll keep riding in the back seat with no one behind the steering wheel.

Musk wants him to keep doing this, he said. "It was actually designed to be ridden in the back seat," Sharma said. "I feel safer in the back seat than I do in the driver's seat, and I feel safer with my car on Autopilot, I trust my car Autopilot more than I trust everyone on the road."

He believes his Model 3 can drive itself, and doesn't understand why he had to spend a night in jail.
Can Elon make a tik tok for the guy where he reads the part in the manual that says for both driver-assist systems, drivers must be ready to intervene at any time.

"The NHTSA could declare Autopilot defective and require it to be recalled.'
What do you expect when you call something autopilot.
https://www.npr.org/2021/05/13/996429067/crash-arrest-draw-more-scrutiny-of-tesla-autopilot-system

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Re: Morning Mobilization
May 8, 2021, 01:10
Re: Morning Mobilization May 8, 2021, 01:10
May 8, 2021, 01:10

Oh no! Wasn't Elon Musk totaly honest....?!? I'm shocked!

May 7, 2021, 20:23
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 20:23
May 7, 2021, 20:23

I can’t stop laughing at those who believe in blatant hype. Keep it coming. Hey, flying cars are next, bro.

May 7, 2021, 17:26
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 17:26
May 7, 2021, 17:26

Seeing as I just got a new hybrid in 2018 I won't be parting with it anytime soon - unless I win the lottery - but I'll never go back to a standard combustion engine. Next vehicle will either be a plug-in hybrid or full EV - depending if the infrastructure is in place for it with rapid charging stations, etc. The sooner we get loud, polluting vehicles off the road the better. Never forget, driving is a privilege, not a right.

Anyone with half a brain new self-driving was BS. How many billions have been pissed away on this? Billions that should have been taxes going into trains and mass-transit everywhere.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 7, 2021, 17:10
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 17:10
May 7, 2021, 17:10
 Verno

bigspender wrote on May 7, 2021, 16:49:
Never ever take a Tesla for a test drive!

You will never like your combustion engine car ever again lol. I have a VW GOLF R which no slouch and after driving even just the base model 3, I hate my Golf R. It feels so slow to respond. Turbo lag, the gear changes, the revving, bleh. I feel bad for any who bought a Mercedes or BMW for a similar price to a Tesla.

It's like going from 144hz to 60hz yuk. Or playing a console at 30fps.

Also this whole Tesla hate click bait is a joke and pathetic. The Self driving beta is an optional extra. Don't get it if you dont want it. But to buy an inferior car because you don't like celebrity musk would be a mistake. Especially now, nobody will buy combustion engine cars in 5 years second hand because a $20k electric car will be better in every way.

The model 3 really is the gen 1 iPhone of cars imo.

It definitely feels like stepping a bit forward in time, you can see other companies already taking design cues from them. The infotainment is fantastic as well, though I wish they would add Carplay at some point.

Speaking of Tesla alternatives, the Ioniq 5 from fucking Hyundai of all companies really interests me. It's got an aesthetic that appeals to my inner nerd, lots of great features and respectable range. I can't wait to test drive one, we need a replacement family vehicle as the missus' Mazda is really getting up there in age. My only dislike with the Ioniq 5 is the overuse of displays, I'm not keen on displays for side mirrors but thankfully those are optional.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village
Watching: The Banishing, Bad Banks, Ted Lasso

May 7, 2021, 17:05
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 17:05
May 7, 2021, 17:05

The deal about talking about the old, is are you old or do you invite progress and fresh things? This is one of my main internal alerts that I try to catch myself on and I am pro progress, it's the only way forward.

The good news is instead of fear. Gas cars will be around for decades minimum, worst case is you can take them to tracks or something to get that thrill whenever they are banned on streets. Hey I don't like how congested roads are, how uptight people are now, when I was a lot younger I could go out and be a little demon on the road semi safely, but times change, population changes, good memories, just as long there is logic in what is being asked now, I can be sold. Yeah I can't have the thrill I used to on the road with a car like I did, but I get why. Next.

May 7, 2021, 16:49
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 16:49
May 7, 2021, 16:49

Never ever take a Tesla for a test drive!

You will never like your combustion engine car ever again lol. I have a VW GOLF R which no slouch and after driving even just the base model 3, I hate my Golf R. It feels so slow to respond. Turbo lag, the gear changes, the revving, bleh. I feel bad for any who bought a Mercedes or BMW for a similar price to a Tesla.

It's like going from 144hz to 60hz yuk. Or playing a console at 30fps.

Also this whole Tesla hate click bait is a joke and pathetic. The Self driving beta is an optional extra. Don't get it if you dont want it. But to buy an inferior car because you don't like celebrity musk would be a mistake. Especially now, nobody will buy combustion engine cars in 5 years second hand because a $20k electric car will be better in every way.

The model 3 really is the gen 1 iPhone of cars imo.

May 7, 2021, 16:18
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 16:18
May 7, 2021, 16:18

Musk is a lunatic and largely a bad person, but he's helped sculpt some very interesting companies. The Tesla product isn't a reflection of Musk's behavior.

They're great cars. But the traditional companies are finally catching up, and doing so rapidly.

May 7, 2021, 16:09
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 16:09
May 7, 2021, 16:09
 Verno

Jivaro wrote on May 7, 2021, 15:38:
I like the quiet and the lack of dealing with gasoline. Sorry if that makes me some sort of casual...as a driver of like 30 something years...but that matters to me these days. I have driven 3 models of Tesla now and they are smooth, quiet, and comfortable machines that make getting from point A to point B easier than most other cars. My wife, who has fibromyalgia, appreciates many of the driver assist features. The next time we actually buy a car, I think it will be a Tesla...but I know for sure it will electric.All of that said, Musk and PT Barnum have a lot in common. IMO.

Agreed. I have a Model 3 Long Range dual motor and it's a very nice, quiet ride. I pay a pittance to drive it and the maintenance is practically non-existent. Tesla is a young company by automotive standards and has a long way to go with fit/finish on things like noise proofing but they get the fundamentals right. The missus loves driving my car and it is fantastic to road trip, lots of storage and Autopilot makes highway driving a much more relaxing experience. The nice thing about the Model 3 is that its a fun, sporty version of a glorified grocery getter that punches above its weight. You can still drag with it and hell you can even take it onto the track and have a little fun in track mode.

I had a great time a few weeks ago with a Taycan though so I'm constantly farting around with the configurator and then talk myself out of it. But I might pull the trigger on a weak day, we'll see.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village

May 7, 2021, 15:38
Jivaro

Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 15:38
May 7, 2021, 15:38
 Jivaro

I like the quiet and the lack of dealing with gasoline. Sorry if that makes me some sort of casual...as a driver of like 30 something years...but that matters to me these days. I have driven 3 models of Tesla now and they are smooth, quiet, and comfortable machines that make getting from point A to point B easier than most other cars. My wife, who has fibromyalgia, appreciates many of the driver assist features. The next time we actually buy a car, I think it will be a Tesla...but I know for sure it will electric.

All of that said, Musk and PT Barnum have a lot in common. IMO.

May 7, 2021, 14:55
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 14:55
May 7, 2021, 14:55
 Verno

Xero wrote on May 7, 2021, 14:01:
Sure, the company has some really fast cars full of technology, but that only really favors the casuals. They don't care about the enjoyment of the driving experience. They just want to turn their car into their iphone and ideally not even have to drive it.

I don't know, the driving experience is different things to everyone. To some people its tedious and just a means of transportation. To others its driving stick, fixing everything with the car yourself and making a shitload of noise. No one is wrong, it's a personal choice.

Personally I don't think the sum of the driving experience is just rumbling engine noises and shifting gears. I grew up driving manual but it's not something I enjoy, it doesn't help me "feel the road" or imbue some magical attachment to the car. The driving dynamics are what I'm more interested in. I think anyone who says electric cars aren't fun to drive simply hasn't driven a good one, there are some pretty awesome performance electrics already and many more to come. Go take a Taycan for a spin and tell me that thing is not a blast to drive. To me driving is a mood thing too, I don't always want to drive manual or automatic. Some cars are more fun in the summer and some are great for offroading. There's way too many awesome cars and not enough money and time for them all, electric and ICE.

May 7, 2021, 14:31
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 14:31
May 7, 2021, 14:31

mellis wrote on May 7, 2021, 13:42:
Elon Musk is a lying charlatan who will say anything to gain the constant validation he so evidently craves and was obviously denied in childhood. He sells fairytales and, thanks in no small part to his own belief in said fiction, is able to convince others of these false narratives.

But the wheel turns and even now the faithful are starting to feel the gnawing doubts about the utopian dreams that Musk keeps shitting out.

For those interested; take a look at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgKWj1pn3_7hRSFIypunYog/videos

Snowden has a thing or two to say about this:

"The greatest conspiracies are open and notorious. They are not theories, but practices.... Conspirators (more often than not) they announce their intentions. They're reported, all over the place, in our newspapers, bannered on the cover of magazines, we get updates on their progress bulletin on the bottom of chirons on news feeds with so much regularity that we become inured to it. This leaves us unable to relate the banality of the methods of their conspiracy to the rapacity of their ambitions."

May 7, 2021, 14:01
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 14:01
May 7, 2021, 14:01

As a car enthusiast, Musk is the devil, lol.

Sure, the company has some really fast cars full of technology, but that only really favors the casuals. They don't care about the enjoyment of the driving experience. They just want to turn their car into their iphone and ideally not even have to drive it.

Me, I'm still catering manual cars over the faster shifting dual clutch paddle shifters just because I feel like that even takes away the driver experience. Nothing beats the full control of manual no matter how hard the faster auto drivers will tell you how great they are.

With that in mind, with Musk trying to remove all driver from the wheel, "F" that and "F" him. I want to be in control, thanks.

May 7, 2021, 13:42
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 13:42
May 7, 2021, 13:42

Elon Musk is a lying charlatan who will say anything to gain the constant validation he so evidently craves and was obviously denied in childhood. He sells fairytales and, thanks in no small part to his own belief in said fiction, is able to convince others of these false narratives.

But the wheel turns and even now the faithful are starting to feel the gnawing doubts about the utopian dreams that Musk keeps shitting out.

For those interested; take a look at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgKWj1pn3_7hRSFIypunYog/videos

May 7, 2021, 13:31
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 13:31
May 7, 2021, 13:31
 Verno

Level 5 is years away for sure and frankly might never arrive without vehicle to vehicle networking awareness, at least in cities. Even with use of cameras and lidar, you have a lot of potential issues due to weather, elevation and unforeseen factors. Edge cases are what kills Level 5 self driving. I am totally fine with level 2 assisted driving, takes the stress out of highway driving and automates some of the stress in city driving like bumper to bumper traffic. I've used most adaptive driving suites now and Tesla's is definitely the best in terms of performance and compromises, though I they really need to enable the IR camera in the car for eye monitoring to avoid negative press related to crashes.

SpaceX is doing some amazing things for sure despite some stumbles and is definitely pushing the entire industry forward where Blue Origin, NASA and other ventures have faltered. Although in NASAs case they are often up against hostile Republicans who don't want it funded, not really their fault.

May 7, 2021, 13:21
Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2021, 13:21
May 7, 2021, 13:21

Just hoping Musk isn't also exaggerating about capabilities as part of the joint NASA/SpaceX Artemis project for the moon base, space base, Mars capabilities, and other space exploration.

His reusable Starship craft keep exploding after they land. They just had the first one that didn't explode but it still had a small fire.

I hope the space stuff works. SpaceX is actually working on some pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, yeah, self driving cars have been an over-hyped, delusional cluster-frak for a while now. They couldn't dodge reality forever and their bs is starting to catch up to them.
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older