Out of the Blue

Happy Star Wars Day! The occasion inspired some curiosity, so I looked up the movie series on Metacritic. I wasn't that surprised to see only four of the films rate 80 or higher. And I certainly wasn't surprised to see that Episode IV: A New Hope has the highest ranking of all with a 90 score. What I didn't expect is that half of that top-rated bunch was from the third trilogy. And the biggest shock is that Episode VIII - The Last Jedi is second, with a score of 84. This puts that turdburger ahead of Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (82). But it's even more shocking to contrast that with scores of some classic films. The Last Jedi has a higher Metacritic score than Network, An American in Paris, The Graduate, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Being There, The Sting, Glengarry Glen Ross, and Diner. I don't know if this means they don't make movies like they used to, or if they don't make critics like they used to. I do know this means if you're judging the movies in episodic order, may the fourth be with you.

Force-Powered Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 5, 2021, 13:45
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2021, 13:45
May 5, 2021, 13:45
 Prez

RedEye9 wrote on May 5, 2021, 09:22:
WOOT Tongue Party2
Fecesbook’s Oversight Board upheld the social network’s decision to ban trump

If you really are that happy over something so small, inconsequential, and stupid then it is definitely time for you to take a step back and re-evaluate your life.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 5, 2021, 12:32
Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2021, 12:32
May 5, 2021, 12:32

OmegaFoRCe wrote on May 5, 2021, 12:30:
My interpretation is that there is a difference between permanent ban versus an indefinite suspension. One gives the user closure, the other leaves the user hanging indefinitely. If they permanently ban his account then I think the Board would approve that path.
Hmm, interesting take -- could be. Ball is back in your court FB...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 5, 2021, 12:30
Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2021, 12:30
May 5, 2021, 12:30

Mr. Tact wrote on May 5, 2021, 09:46:
Your celebration is premature.
So, six months from now he may be back. Which would be just about perfect timing for the mid-term elections. Not sure why they would think indefinite suspensions were not appropriate. Surely all of them could think of things which would qualify for an indefinite suspension, even if they thought (for reasons I don't understand), those levels had not been reached in this case. Maybe they meant just not without defined "criteria".
My interpretation is that there is a difference between permanent ban versus an indefinite suspension. One gives the user closure, the other leaves the user hanging indefinitely. If they permanently ban his account then I think the Board would approve that path.

May 5, 2021, 09:58
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2021, 09:58
May 5, 2021, 09:58
 El Pit

Simon Says wrote on May 4, 2021, 19:33:

Those are "pro" critics ratings and thus mostly irrelevant.

Nowadays what you want to look at are the user scores.

If we rank them according to user scores we get from highest ranked to lowest:

-Ep. 5 ( 9.1 )
-Ep. 4 ( 8.8 )
-Ep. 6 ( 8.3 )
-Ep. 3 ( 7.8 )
-Rogue 1 ( 7.6 )
-Ep. 7 ( 6.7 )
-Ep. 1 ** Ep. 2 ** Solo ( tied at 6.1 )
-Clone Wars ( 5.7 )
-Ep. 9 ( 4.6 )
-Ep. 8 ( 4.1 )

Makes a lot more sense to me...

Pretty much spot on in my opinion but I personally rate Rogue One higher than episode III. And I think episodes 1 and 8 should tie for the worst episodes with 9 being a close contender for the title of the worst episode.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

May 5, 2021, 09:46
Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2021, 09:46
May 5, 2021, 09:46

Your celebration is premature.

... “The Board has upheld Facebook’s decision on January 7, 2021, to restrict then-President Donald Trump’s access to posting content on his Facebook page and Instagram account,” the board wrote. “However, it was not appropriate for Facebook to impose an ‘indefinite’ suspension. It is not permissible for Facebook to keep a user off the platform for an undefined period, with no criteria for when or whether the account will be restored.”

The board ruled that Facebook has six months to reconsider its decision..

So, six months from now he may be back. Which would be just about perfect timing for the mid-term elections. Not sure why they would think indefinite suspensions were not appropriate. Surely all of them could think of things which would qualify for an indefinite suspension, even if they thought (for reasons I don't understand), those levels had not been reached in this case. Maybe they meant just not without defined "criteria".

May 5, 2021, 09:22
Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2021, 09:22
May 5, 2021, 09:22

WOOT Tongue Party2
Fecesbook’s Oversight Board upheld the social network’s decision to ban trump
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

May 4, 2021, 19:56
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 19:56
May 4, 2021, 19:56

The last season (seven) of Clone Wars - the last 4 episodes were incredible to me. Pretty much its own Star Wars movie. I would rank it 8.0, which would put it ahead of Rogue One and Revenge of the Sith, on Simon's list.

May 4, 2021, 19:33
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 19:33
May 4, 2021, 19:33

Those are "pro" critics ratings and thus mostly irrelevant.

Nowadays what you want to look at are the user scores.

If we rank them according to user scores we get from highest ranked to lowest:

-Ep. 5 ( 9.1 )
-Ep. 4 ( 8.8 )
-Ep. 6 ( 8.3 )
-Ep. 3 ( 7.8 )
-Rogue 1 ( 7.6 )
-Ep. 7 ( 6.7 )
-Ep. 1 ** Ep. 2 ** Solo ( tied at 6.1 )
-Clone Wars ( 5.7 )
-Ep. 9 ( 4.6 )
-Ep. 8 ( 4.1 )

Makes a lot more sense to me...

May 4, 2021, 17:56
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 17:56
May 4, 2021, 17:56

I'm very much in line with BoP. E4 was good. E5 was great. E6 pretty much killed it for me. E1 extinguished it completely. Didn't see E2, E3, E7, E8 or E9 in the theater.

One of my major disappointments was I had expected to find out Vader was 600 years old like Yoda, sustaining himself with the Dark Side. Was truly bummed when that didn't turn out to be the case.

May 4, 2021, 17:39
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 17:39
May 4, 2021, 17:39

I don't know if this means they don't make movies like they used to, or if they don't make critics like they used to.

I suspect that recent scores have been influenced by a combination studio interference (c'mon, you know they buy good press to some extent) and the desire to avoid alienating a famously rabid fan base for an established franchise.

And wow just look at the difference between the critics and the users! 82 vs. 9.1 for Empire Strikes Back, and 84 vs 4.1 for Last Jedi.

May 4, 2021, 17:30
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 17:30
May 4, 2021, 17:30

TLJ is pretty flawed, but it's still the best of the new trilogy. TFA is derivative schlock. TRoS is pure schlock. At least TLJ has some interesting moments like Force Skype and the battle with Snoke and his minions. Also, I know a lot of people don't like Grumpy Luke, but I enjoyed that take and thought they gave a good motivation for the transformation of that character.

I agree with Verno that they lacked an over-arching vision, and that definitely hurt the trilogy overall. This was a huge missed opportunity. JJ's last good movie (only good movie?) was his 2009 Star Trek, and was a poor choice for these films. He's good with the spectacle, but poor at creating characters we care about and cohesive plots. Rian Johnson is a pretty good director and story teller (go watch Looper and Knives Out), but not only did he have to clean up after Abrams, but he also dropped the ball I feel in many important ways. And then to bring Abrams back just totally wrecked any continuity or cohesion. I was looking forward to Rian's standalone trilogy, but I'm not sure that's happening any longer.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

May 4, 2021, 16:23
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 16:23
May 4, 2021, 16:23

Prez wrote on May 4, 2021, 15:28:
Without hyperbole I can say that the Empire Strikes Back was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Also without hyperbole I can say that the Last Jedi was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
I agree totally. I saw empire at the cinema the first time around and it was awesome. The original 3 havent aged as bad as some films and are still watchable.

the recent trilogy were dirge. the force is some crap gimmick dohickey now. bad guys are petulant children. even new/old palpatine was shit. so many plot holes, there was a wealth of backstory regarding byilding he deathstars, all the materials needed, even star wars computer games with death star related stuff (xwing alliance was great). but all of a sudden a gazillion star destroyers can be built on a planet noone can get to with no resources, labor or food stuff? the fuck? utter shit.
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

May 4, 2021, 15:50
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 15:50
May 4, 2021, 15:50

Prez wrote on May 4, 2021, 15:28:
Without hyperbole I can say that the Empire Strikes Back was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Also without hyperbole I can say that the Last Jedi was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I agree with you. ESB is the best Star Wars film of all of them, easily. A New Hope is probably number 2. Space Teddy Bear Boogaloo was the beginning of the decline of the Star Wars franchise and that decline was a nose dive.

What makes Star Wars worse is, of course, the fans. May the Fourth, Revenge of the Fifth, "Baby Yoda" and spamming "This is the Way" on every fucking platform possible. Whatever coolness may have existed wasn't just driven in to the ground, it was fucking piledriven in to the ground so far that you could see the Earth's molten core.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

May 4, 2021, 15:28
Prez

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 15:28
May 4, 2021, 15:28
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 4, 2021, 15:15
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 15:15
May 4, 2021, 15:15

Welp, got my C19 vac appt today for next Chewsday. Fingers crossed. Signed up also for the short notice for extra vaccines. Even got a text for one today - you have to arrive within 20 mins - but I was busy and couldn't go. Mayhaps I'll get one before then - so long as it isn't AZ I'll take it. Still, second shots are - currently - 4 months away. Hopefully as the demand in the US is slowing and they're shipping vaccines out of the US to here finally that will be cut down to a much more reasonable amount of time.

Thanks America! Makes me want to play The Boss' Born in the USA and have a much finer appreciation for shotguns and big titties, beer and airshows.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 4, 2021, 15:07
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 15:07
May 4, 2021, 15:07
 PHJF

They don't make critics like they used to. Seemingly everything ends up with a 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes, which ten years ago was a very good indicator that a movie was actually, you know, good, and not merely inoffensive. I dropped a whopping $2 to watch Love and Monsters last weekend (93%). Not funny, painfully derivative and laughably predictable.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 4, 2021, 14:38
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 14:38
May 4, 2021, 14:38

That was a very long setup of a pretty good joke, Blue!

May 4, 2021, 12:49
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 12:49
May 4, 2021, 12:49
 El Pit

Critics in the 1980s: That movie was great/bad because of very good acting/screenplay/directing!
Critics in the 2020s: The depiction of culture/society/religion/politics in this movie was/was not like I would have wanted it. The movie is therefore great/bad!

This comment was edited on May 4, 2021, 15:03.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

May 4, 2021, 12:38
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 12:38
May 4, 2021, 12:38

I wouldn't rate any Star Wars movie higher than 4/10 after having seen the recent ones. Yes, you can apparently retroactively destroy nostalgia. Also the 3 original movies did not age well

Ps.: I wouldn't rate any of the movies Blues listed higher than 3/10, but I am not a fan of that entire genre....

May 4, 2021, 12:31
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2021, 12:31
May 4, 2021, 12:31
 Verno

The entire new trilogy was a fucking disaster that needed someone, somewhere to engage with an actual story board and plan. Instead it was a disparate mess, the movies barely stringing along any semblance of continuity and character development. Even the Kylo Ren arc was largely a duplication from the first movies. I would not in good conscious rate any of them over a 5/10, I'm shocked that they somehow managed an aggregate score that high.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village
Watching: The Banishing, Bad Banks, Ted Lasso
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older