5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
May 3, 2021, 18:22
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2021, 18:22
May 3, 2021, 18:22

Verno wrote on May 3, 2021, 16:29:
From reddit:

The ethereum mining craze should end soon. In ~2 months, ethereum gets an upgrade that removes all of the transaction fees that miners get in addition to the normal block rewards and uses them for burning eth instead, making it deflationary. This effectively cuts eth mining profit in half, so the market is likely to flood with GPUs after that.

Nice thought anyway, hope it's true. It's totally insane what 30xx cards are selling for on eBay and I'm referring to successful auctions, not just listing prices.

Just buy premade. You get it at a small markup, but you get it, which is a better outcome than today.

May 3, 2021, 17:34
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2021, 17:34
May 3, 2021, 17:34

Verno wrote on May 3, 2021, 16:29:
From reddit:

The ethereum mining craze should end soon. In ~2 months, ethereum gets an upgrade that removes all of the transaction fees that miners get in addition to the normal block rewards and uses them for burning eth instead, making it deflationary. This effectively cuts eth mining profit in half, so the market is likely to flood with GPUs after that.

Nice thought anyway, hope it's true. It's totally insane what 30xx cards are selling for on eBay and I'm referring to successful auctions, not just listing prices.

I'm not buying *any* GPU until I can get what I want at MSRP! This is the worst highway robbery I've ever seen--first time I haven't been able to buy a GPU on the first official day of availability--on 7/7/19, a Sunday, I had no trouble buying an AMD 50th Ann Edition 5700XT from the US AMD store on the first day of official global availability. Received it three days later. Just bought a new monitor (a DisplayHDR 1000-certified 43" 4k I'm nut-crazy about...;)) and I'm more than content to keep using my 5700XT for as long as I have to!...;) Talk about an anti-climax, AMD's first official day of availability for all its "released" RX-6k products has been a huge anti-climax for about six months now. You know--AMD and nVidia spend all of that money in GPU hype, do all of that work, and then it's a huge fizzle-out. Both companies knew they could not begin to meet any sort of realistic demand for their GPUs at the time they set dates for global availability--months later, same story. Definitely it's a first in the industry. The manufacturing shortages will be over when the last scalper goes offline--and they are scalping on Amazon and NewEgg, as well, atm!

It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.

May 3, 2021, 17:13
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2021, 17:13
May 3, 2021, 17:13

Sorry Ethereum, but gamers couldn't care less about you...;)
It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.

May 3, 2021, 16:49
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2021, 16:49
May 3, 2021, 16:49

Wow $10 billion for freedom fries!? Wry

That should be global dependence on said supply chain. I suspect most other places have it even worse than the US. There's only one new AMD card for sale in this country...one....and it's $530 over MSRP. The ones from 3rd party scalpers on Amazon are all $1000+ over MSRP at a minimum plus shipping from whatever country they're in. There are virtually zero video cards for sale at all - new, even last gen - in this country.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 3, 2021, 16:29
Verno

Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2021, 16:29
May 3, 2021, 16:29
 Verno

From reddit:

Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older