Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission

Speaking of 30% game store commissions, GamesIndustry.biz says Microsoft is lowering its take of revenue from games sold on its store. Like Steam, Microsoft's commission has been 30%, but it will now drop to 12%, matching Epic's rake from the Epic Games Store:
Beginning August 1, Microsoft will reduce its take of net revenues on its PC gaming storefront from 30% to 12%.

"Game developers are at the heart of bringing great games to our players, and we want them to find success on our platforms," Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty said, adding, "A clear, no-strings-attached revenue share means developers can bring more games to more players and find greater commercial success from doing so."
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission
Apr 30, 2021, 21:45
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 30, 2021, 21:45
Apr 30, 2021, 21:45

fakespyder wrote on Apr 29, 2021, 23:15:
Yeah, he's a swell fellow. Puke

Come on man. He's late to the party, wants in too and figures he has the money to force his way through freebies, exclusives, breaking contracts and litigation.

The guy's another spoilt rich douche.
Geniuses are often misunderstood in their time.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Apr 30, 2021, 16:20
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 30, 2021, 16:20
Apr 30, 2021, 16:20

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 29, 2021, 23:04:
What a huge win for developers all because the evil Sweeney dared buck tradition.

More likely MS desperate to get devs to sell their wares on the MS store/xbone apps.

People have not forgotton about GFWL. I only lost ultimately 3 hours on a game save because bye bye steam cloud saves when the servers shut down but no thanks. I'll buy their published games on deep sales via Steam or disc copies for the xbone.

Apr 30, 2021, 16:04
Verno

Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 30, 2021, 16:04
Apr 30, 2021, 16:04
 Verno

thestryker wrote on Apr 30, 2021, 14:21:
I'm assuming most of the people slamming the MS Storefront have never used the Xbox App on Win10. While my brief experience with the MS Store is every bit the cancer everyone here has complained about the Xbox App is a significant improvement in virtually every way. It still wouldn't be my first place to go, but if the price was right I wouldn't think twice about it either.

Also gives another potential destination for consumers to give independent developers more money without spending more. While I don't particularly like EGS I did purposely buy Hades there because the developers were getting more money than if I bought it on Steam.

The Xbox beta app uses the exact same delivery tech as the store. It's literally the same API, ports and same issues, its just a different UI. The UI is better, yes. It's still not good though, its just that the Store has set the bar very low.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Apr 30, 2021, 14:21
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 30, 2021, 14:21
Apr 30, 2021, 14:21

I'm assuming most of the people slamming the MS Storefront have never used the Xbox App on Win10. While my brief experience with the MS Store is every bit the cancer everyone here has complained about the Xbox App is a significant improvement in virtually every way. It still wouldn't be my first place to go, but if the price was right I wouldn't think twice about it either.

Also gives another potential destination for consumers to give independent developers more money without spending more. While I don't particularly like EGS I did purposely buy Hades there because the developers were getting more money than if I bought it on Steam.

Apr 30, 2021, 11:09
Verno

Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 30, 2021, 11:09
Apr 30, 2021, 11:09
 Verno

PHJF wrote on Apr 29, 2021, 18:33:
What boggles my mind is how fucking slow downloads from Microsoft's servers are. I get probably a third of the speeds I see from Steam servers.

This from the most ubiquitous software company in the world.

Not to mention the one that promotes Azure at every opportunity.

Just going to echo others that this is a non-story without a major store re-design and a serious commitment to curation. The Microsoft Store is a fucking wasteland of illegal app/game clones and malware.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Apr 30, 2021, 07:08
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 30, 2021, 07:08
Apr 30, 2021, 07:08

fakespyder wrote on Apr 29, 2021, 23:15:

Come on man. He's late to the party, wants in too and figures he has the money to force his way through freebies, exclusives, breaking contracts and litigation.

Late to what party? The only one in town, you mean? He flicked his finger to that party and started his own. Guests were few at first, and many idiots didn't even bother to give the party a visit. They were, after all, convinced that the first party in town is the best ever and all other parties are evil. But this second party turns out to be pretty good.

"Late to the party", wtf does that even mean? XD

Apr 30, 2021, 06:52
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 30, 2021, 06:52
Apr 30, 2021, 06:52

The Windows store is so mind-numbingly awful, I am willing to bet that if your games title is not Minecraft, that it has sold less than 10 copies there.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Apr 29, 2021, 23:15
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 23:15
Apr 29, 2021, 23:15

Apr 29, 2021, 23:04
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 23:04
Apr 29, 2021, 23:04

What a huge win for developers all because the evil Sweeney dared buck tradition.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Apr 29, 2021, 20:10
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 20:10
Apr 29, 2021, 20:10

I don't think I have even ever been in/on the Microsoft store...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 29, 2021, 20:05
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 20:05
Apr 29, 2021, 20:05

I don't see this as a win for developers at all, well maybe some of it will 'trickle down' (pun) from the publishers. Slap

m$ just sucks at almost every level, and this is a phony PR gamble to win some sympathy.
They are clearly trying to lock everyone into their online xbox service, which was almost the whole point of free win 10.
Unless your like me (as if any one can be as big pita as me! ) prevented the install of their store, AI, updates and online services.
They are planning to offset this with as much forced monthly fees as possible for their game service.
Think how much money epic is trying to spend to give away free shinnies, then multiply it by 10x.
Remember in 2000 when m$ sold out the PC gaming industry for shitbox and a whole new terminology called 'shovelware' was coined?
Originally planning to lose 9 billion, but ended up being at least double.
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Apr 29, 2021, 18:55
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 18:55
Apr 29, 2021, 18:55

I'm glad MS has been so incompetent when it has come to their Store. The last thing we need is to pay subscriptions just to play multiplayer.
Remember they pulled that with GFWL many years ago. I think it was for the gold pass.
I guess they assumed we'd be grateful like the console players.

PC gamers have options so they reversed course on that idea in record time. I have no doubt they would pull the same shit again (and worse) if their store was in a dominant position.

No, MS you keep tripping over yourself and all's well.

Apr 29, 2021, 18:33
PHJF

Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 18:33
Apr 29, 2021, 18:33
 PHJF

What boggles my mind is how fucking slow downloads from Microsoft's servers are. I get probably a third of the speeds I see from Steam servers.

This from the most ubiquitous software company in the world.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2021, 18:53.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Apr 29, 2021, 17:58
Kxmode

Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 17:58
Apr 29, 2021, 17:58
 Kxmode

Microsoft could drop their cut to 1% and I would still not buy anything there. I'm not going anywhere near their store. IMHO it's worse than Epic's. But I appreciate the point. Valve needs to rethink their position on cuts.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 29, 2021, 17:39
Tom
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 17:39
Apr 29, 2021, 17:39
Tom

Bingo. The Microsoft Store is so incredibly awful, it just boggles the mind. Even if Microsoft took no cut and paid devs and customers alike to use their store, I'd rather pay for stuff on Steam.

Apr 29, 2021, 16:38
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 16:38
Apr 29, 2021, 16:38

Don't care, still not buying games from the Windows Store.

Apr 29, 2021, 16:34
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 16:34
Apr 29, 2021, 16:34

WaltC wrote on Apr 29, 2021, 13:55:
Alright! Epic is already having some positive effects! The one redeeming factor that makes the EGS a nice place for consumers is the customer discounts I've availed myself of a couple of times--on AAA games, no less, at release! Heck if the online stores all charge 12% and the publishers discount their games 10% on release--they are still 8% ahead of where they'd be with Steam. I think Steam will come around after a lot of arm twisting--Newell is one stubborn cuss...;) The gaming market today is giganormus--huge--there is no sense at all in charging $49.95-$59.95 every time a game is released! I buy very few games these days on release--and I never, ever pre-order (which goes without saying.) Kept telling these guys for years if they'd get off of their high MSRPs they'd be amazed at how many more copies they would sell. Glad to see competition once again making noise in the online sales distribution markets.
A rare time when Walt and I agree. Even if prices don't drop, a larger part will go to the devs, which can only result in more and better games.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Apr 29, 2021, 15:14
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 15:14
Apr 29, 2021, 15:14

This applying to just their PC store makes me wonder if the console side has a scaling rate, or if they're just preserving the console profit margins. I know in the past Microsoft has had some stuff which limited costs to indie devs, but not familiar enough to know if cut of sales was part of that.

I also wonder if this will have an impact on their store sales. In the past it seems like the vast majority of games which go on sale are either Microsoft games or published by them.

Apr 29, 2021, 13:55
Re: Microsoft Lowering Its Store Commission Apr 29, 2021, 13:55
Apr 29, 2021, 13:55

Alright! Epic is already having some positive effects! The one redeeming factor that makes the EGS a nice place for consumers is the customer discounts I've availed myself of a couple of times--on AAA games, no less, at release! Heck if the online stores all charge 12% and the publishers discount their games 10% on release--they are still 8% ahead of where they'd be with Steam. I think Steam will come around after a lot of arm twisting--Newell is one stubborn cuss...;) The gaming market today is giganormus--huge--there is no sense at all in charging $49.95-$59.95 every time a game is released! I buy very few games these days on release--and I never, ever pre-order (which goes without saying.) Kept telling these guys for years if they'd get off of their high MSRPs they'd be amazed at how many more copies they would sell. Glad to see competition once again making noise in the online sales distribution markets.
It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older