24th DICE Awards Winners

The champagne has been drunk and the confetti has dropped on the 24th DICE Awards. IGN lists the winners, unsurprisingly topped by Hades, as Supergiant's roguelike has had a hell of a run:

• Game of the Year: Hades.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: Hades.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: Hades.
  • Action Game of the Year: Hades
  • Adventure Game of the Year: Ghost of Tsushima.
  • Family Game of the Year: Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
  • Fighting Game of the Year: Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.
  • Racing Game of the Year: Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit.
  • Role-Playing Game of the Year: Final Fantasy VII Remake.
  • Sports Game of the Year: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2.
  • Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year: Microsoft Flight Simulator.
  • Immersive Reality Game of the Year: Half-Life: Alyx.
  • Mobile Game of the Year: Legends of Runeterra.
  • Online Game of the Year: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Animation: The Last of Us Part II.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Ghost of Tsushima.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Character: Miles, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Ghost of Tsushima.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design: Ghost of Tsushima.
  • Outstanding Achievement in Story: The Last of Us Part II.
  • Outstanding Technical Achievement: Dreams.
  • Immersive Reality Technical Achievement: Half-Life: Alyx.
  • Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game: Hades.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: 24th DICE Awards Winners
Apr 23, 2021, 12:45
Re: 24th DICE Awards Winners Apr 23, 2021, 12:45
Apr 23, 2021, 12:45

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 23, 2021, 10:23:
I'm not sure TLoU2 deserves those awards.....unless Achievement in Animation is meant to encompass acting, in which case I would agree. I realize it was a industry darling, but to me it was just a weak sequel. They took all of the poor design decisions from the first game and doubled down on them....but didn't have anywhere *near* the engaging story from the first.

HL:Alyx was absolutely amazing and set the 2020 bar for VR.

Probably need to pick up Hades on sale....all I hear is good buzz, but the Let's Play I watched at release didn't grab me.

Yea Hades is awesome, one of the best games this year. It's absolute snub at other award shows just goes to show how corrupt those others are.

As to TLoU2, I assume you are correct about Achievement in Animation, because all of TLoU2 is motion captured. Personally I think Cyberpunk 2077 deserves that award for it's pretty revolutionary automated facial animation technology. Sure it isn't as 'detailed' as TLoU2' because it isn't mocaped. And yet somehow the NPCs in that game are far more lifelike in their animations, personality and emotions than in TLoU2.

Apr 23, 2021, 11:59
Re: 24th DICE Awards Winners Apr 23, 2021, 11:59
Apr 23, 2021, 11:59

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 23, 2021, 10:23:
Probably need to pick up Hades on sale....all I hear is good buzz, but the Let's Play I watched at release didn't grab me.
Hades' main point is the core gameplay loop of running into a room and doing your best to kill everything while not getting hit.

The game is good because the controls are good. I can't recall a single time I felt the game got in my way with poor controls, every misstep felt like either I made a mistake (running into an attack or not dodging an attack) or I didn't yet understand/know something (like a boss pattern).

The writing is solid and while it draws heavily upon Ancient Greek Mythology, it does so in a way that lets them put their own spin on characters while staying true to the myths and culture.

Apr 23, 2021, 11:51
Re: 24th DICE Awards Winners Apr 23, 2021, 11:51
Apr 23, 2021, 11:51

I'm playing Alyx currently wirelessly and even with one hand I can still play the game really well and it is fucking INCREDIBLE to boot! Hell, I'll just walk around a room picking shit up and throwing it through a window because ... well... because ya CAN!

Apr 23, 2021, 10:23
Re: 24th DICE Awards Winners Apr 23, 2021, 10:23
Apr 23, 2021, 10:23

I'm not sure TLoU2 deserves those awards.....unless Achievement in Animation is meant to encompass acting, in which case I would agree. I realize it was a industry darling, but to me it was just a weak sequel. They took all of the poor design decisions from the first game and doubled down on them....but didn't have anywhere *near* the engaging story from the first.

HL:Alyx was absolutely amazing and set the 2020 bar for VR.

Apr 23, 2021, 02:47
Re: 24th DICE Awards Winners Apr 23, 2021, 02:47
Apr 23, 2021, 02:47

Slick wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 22:51:
WTF is Hades

Great little game. You'll probably hate it.

I wonder if DCS World was even in the running for the simulation reward. Probably not.

Apr 22, 2021, 22:51
Slick

Re: 24th DICE Awards Winners Apr 22, 2021, 22:51
Apr 22, 2021, 22:51
 Slick

WTF is Hades
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older