Out of the Blue

Happy 4/20, one of just 366 days this year for stoners to celebrate their pastime. This is the first time that this occasion can be observed openly in New York, as the state recently legalized recreational marijuana. This made it immediately legal to possess weed, and to smoke it wherever smoking cigarettes is allowed. What's funny is it will be some time before legal dispensaries are opened here, so acquisition could still be a problem. This reminds me of Vince Vega explaining to Jules how the laws work in Amsterdam.

Obituary: Walter Mondale, Influential Vice President and Candidate, Dies.
Obituary: R.I.P. Anthony Powell.
Obituary: Idriss Deby, Chad's President, killed in frontline clashes with rebels, state TV reports.

Ground-up Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

View : : :
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 28, 2021, 21:11
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2021, 21:11
Apr 28, 2021, 21:11

You didn't already know Rogan was an idiot? I thought that was established LONG ago. Hell, I knew it and I have never listened to a single minute of his podcast.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 28, 2021, 20:48
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2021, 20:48
Apr 28, 2021, 20:48

Beamer wrote on Apr 21, 2021, 15:28:
There's nothing comparable for Joe Rogan's descent into madness.
I don't listen to any of the bobble heads. I had no idea he went wacko.

Rogan said:
“People say, do you think it’s safe to get vaccinated? I’ve said, yeah, I think for the most part it’s safe to get vaccinated. I do. I do … But if you’re like 21 years old, and you say to me, should I get vaccinated? I’ll go no. Are you healthy? Are you a healthy person? … If you’re a healthy person, and you’re exercising all the time, and you’re young, and you’re eating well … like, I don’t think you need to worry about this.”
Which we all know is WRONG.
Young, Healthy People Are Not Immune to COVID-19
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rogan-dont-need-to-worry-vaccine/

- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Apr 24, 2021, 08:17
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2021, 08:17
Apr 24, 2021, 08:17

It’s beginning to look like Chauvins racism knew no bounds.
DOJ is looking into charging him for a 2017 incident involving a Black teen where he held down the boy with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, ignoring complaints from the boy couldn't breathe.
That was of course after striking the teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches.

Apr 23, 2021, 09:43
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2021, 09:43
Apr 23, 2021, 09:43

NPR THROUGHLINE
The Real Black Panthers
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/12/986561396/the-real-black-panthers

Apr 23, 2021, 03:27
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2021, 03:27
Apr 23, 2021, 03:27

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 20:22:
It's obvious that Chauvin is a racist piece of shit. From pepper spraying partiers in a club to murdering a human being in broad daylight. The world is a safer place with him behind bars.

Yup, probably. Doesn't mean shit coming from you, though. After all, you immediately believe the cop that shot the knife-wielding Ma’Khia Bryant is racist too.

Apr 22, 2021, 20:22
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 20:22
Apr 22, 2021, 20:22

It's obvious that Chauvin is a racist piece of shit. From pepper spraying partiers in a club to murdering a human being in broad daylight. The world is a safer place with him behind bars.

Apr 22, 2021, 16:53
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 16:53
Apr 22, 2021, 16:53

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 16:25:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 13:53:
I'll try to find time for the podcast, but I have to admit if the presentation is as slow and monotone as Beamer suggests, I agree it will be difficult to get through.

Edit: *ugh* Two hours? I'll try, but I have a hard time listening to even commentators I agree with for that long...
Well, fortunately there was a link on the podcast to a transcript. Which not only had links to some of the things he mentions/discusses, but also contained corrections (from him) to some of the things he'd said. On top of all that, reading is significantly faster than listening so it cut the required time. Plus I'm a pretty fast reader -- at least that's my impression from comparing notes with friends on read times of books. Anyway...

I'm not quite sure what you intended for me to get out of it. He seems to be saying that while there are racial elements, it is less about race relations than many people think/believe. I was intrigued by his belief that a vast portion of the populace doesn't understand resisting arrest is a bad idea. If that is true, it is certainly problematic. I'm certainly with him on the need for more training for cops.

You answered your own question about what I wanted you to get out of this. The answer from me would've been "anything new", really. I don't believe ignorance is bliss and the more we understand about the problem, the lesser we jump to wrong conclusions and propel toward wrong actions. New, and from what I've seen somewhat reliable findings are that the police protests led to a significant uptick in crime, so so far we don't seem to fix anything. And yeah, Sam is really adamant about more training for cops. He makes quite a clear case why "defund the police" is one of the dumbest things a society should want (phrased in my own words there). What we should want is a "fund the police" campaign, so they get more training. From what I understand, officers only get 4 hours of hand-to-hand training a year. This lack of training could be the cause of many unnecessary fatalities.

Also, I'm very sorry I forgot about the transcript! Good to see that you found it yourself.

Unfortunately the stats kept by police are so sloppy and secretive it is difficult to know how many of these incidents have really happened. How many of these known incidents were completely covered up as "nothing to see here" until video of the event surfaced? In nearly every case we know of, police initial statements of what happened in an incident had to be "corrected" after it was discovered there was video of the event proving their statements to be false. Kind of tough to turn around and take them at their word after all of these repeated incidents of lying.

So let's make sure they can't lie or cover up: they should all wear bodycams for starters. Let's also make sure that without evidence of the contrary, we don't make something up and call it racism. There's a void there that should be filled with intellectual honesty, critical thinking and factual data.

Beamer wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 14:25:
And, again, he's not from the US, has probably only been to Times Square, and likes to inject himself into intricate discussions of race relations here.

Another lie. I have family in Connecticut, Pensylvania and Oregon whom I visit often. Done two major roadtrips and seen many places in the US and met many different people in those places spread across the country. I bet I've seen more of the US than countless of US citizens And let not your hypocricy go unnoticed here: It's not like you don't share your opinion about European goings-on.

Apr 22, 2021, 16:47
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 16:47
Apr 22, 2021, 16:47

Edit: *ugh* Two hours? I'll try, but I have a hard time listening to even commentors I agree with for that long...
You don't have to listen to all of it to get the gist. I like to listen to podcasts while washing dishes or doing laundry. Alternatively, there's a transcript, but it's a long read.

AGAIN, while Chauvin's conviction was not based on race, that does not mean his actions weren't. We don't know. In absence of that knowledge assumptions are made based on a whole series of incidents. Is that fair? Maybe not, but its kind of hard to worry about what is fair concerning the assessment of a cop's actions based on repeated similar actions by cops in so many of these incidents.
We can never know for certain what's going through someone's mind when they do something. Often the people committing acts aren't responding consciously, so they might not even be aware of why they are doing something. However, there are clues:
A white Minneapolis police officer and the black man he’s charged with killing both worked as security guards at the same Latin nightclub as recently as last year, but its former owner says she’s not sure if they knew each other.
What she is certain of is how aggressive Officer Derek Chauvin became when the club hosted events that drew a mainly black clientele, responding to fights by taking out his mace and spraying the crowd, a tactic she told him was unjustified “overkill.”
She said Chauvin got along well with the club’s Latino regulars, but his tactics toward unruly customers on what she referred to as “African American” nights led her to speak to him about it.
“I told him I thought this is unnecessary to be pepper-sprayed. The knee-jerk reaction of being afraid, it seemed overkill,” Santamaria said. “It was a concern and I did voice my opinion, but police officers have a way of justifying what they do.”
Perhaps these nights were simply more rowdy and required a stronger response, although the club owner suggests that wasn't the case.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Apr 22, 2021, 16:25
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 16:25
Apr 22, 2021, 16:25

I'll try to find time for the podcast, but I have to admit if the presentation is as slow and monotone as Beamer suggests, I agree it will be difficult to get through.

Edit: *ugh* Two hours? I'll try, but I have a hard time listening to even commentators I agree with for that long...
Well, fortunately there was a link on the podcast to a transcript. Which not only had links to some of the things he mentions/discusses, but also contained corrections (from him) to some of the things he'd said. On top of all that, reading is significantly faster than listening so it cut the required time. Plus I'm a pretty fast reader -- at least that's my impression from comparing notes with friends on read times of books. Anyway...

I'm not quite sure what you intended for me to get out of it. He seems to be saying that while there are racial elements, it is less about race relations than many people think/believe. I was intrigued by his belief that a vast portion of the populace doesn't understand resisting arrest is a bad idea. If that is true, it is certainly problematic. I'm certainly with him on the need for more training for cops.

Apr 22, 2021, 16:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 16:24
Apr 22, 2021, 16:24

Beamer wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 14:25:

So, this guy calls me dishonest, but characterizes this discussion as me claiming the host speaks too slowly and monotone. Where do I say anything to that point? I said his focus was wrong, not his presentation.

It's fun when someone calls you dishonest in a dishonest way. I mean, he literally proves himself as the unreliable and/or dishonest person. And, again, he's not from the US, has probably only been to Times Square, and likes to inject himself into intricate discussions of race relations here.

I thought you were the one mentioning the monotone thing. Turns out that was Redeye. My apologies. Your online identities I sometimes seem to mix up, as you may understand. You didn't finish the podcast though. Semantics.

Apr 22, 2021, 14:25
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 14:25
Apr 22, 2021, 14:25

So, this guy calls me dishonest, but characterizes this discussion as me claiming the host speaks too slowly and monotone. Where do I say anything to that point? I said his focus was wrong, not his presentation.

It's fun when someone calls you dishonest in a dishonest way. I mean, he literally proves himself as the unreliable and/or dishonest person. And, again, he's not from the US, has probably only been to Times Square, and likes to inject himself into intricate discussions of race relations here.

Apr 22, 2021, 13:53
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 13:53
Apr 22, 2021, 13:53

Quinn wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 03:49:
I suggest not to make everything about race, and somehow form some single voice against race-baiting media and politicians, and have honest conversations about it with eachother. I'm suggesting that when a verdict is given of charges that have nothing to do with racism, politicians and the media shouldn't somehow use Chauvin as the sacrificial lamb against "systemic racism". This won't help anything except for malevolent movements.

Unfortunately, if you make an objective review of politics in the US since the Civil War (and even before) a very large portion of it is about race. Yeah, not everything is about race. But a helleva lot more is about race than most whites are willing to admit to. AGAIN, while Chauvin's conviction was not based on race, that does not mean his actions weren't. We don't know. In absence of that knowledge assumptions are made based on a whole series of incidents. Is that fair? Maybe not, but its kind of hard to worry about what is fair concerning the assessment of a cop's actions based on repeated similar actions by cops in so many of these incidents.

Police make 10 million arrests a year. About 1k people are killed by cops a year. The vast majority of those people are armed. Of the 2 dozen or so who are unarmed lady year, 14 were black. 14 out of 10.000.000 arrests. And "unarmed" btw, is a term that's used very loosely according to the data that tracks all of this. So fuck this narrative everyone is fooled into. There are literally people questioned about black people getting shot by police. There are people that think blacks are getting shot by police by the thousands a year. Thank your media and your sheep for that narrative. That's not Fox' doing, and you know it.

Unfortunately the stats kept by police are so sloppy and secretive it is difficult to know how many of these incidents have really happened. How many of these known incidents were completely covered up as "nothing to see here" until video of the event surfaced? In nearly every case we know of, police initial statements of what happened in an incident had to be "corrected" after it was discovered there was video of the event proving their statements to be false. Kind of tough to turn around and take them at their word after all of these repeated incidents of lying.

Lastly, take people like Beamer's intellectual honesty with a grain of salt for fucks' sake. After all, even when jdryer told him my signature Sam Harris podcast was actually pretty interesting and a good addition to the discussion about systemic racism, the guy said he tried the podcast but couldn't continue listening NOT because of its substance, but because Sam talks too slow/monotonous. That's cognitive dissonance at a level that should concern anyone.

Edit: *ugh* Two hours? I'll try, but I have a hard time listening to even commentors I agree with for that long...

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2021, 14:26.

Apr 22, 2021, 13:45
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 13:45
Apr 22, 2021, 13:45

Jesus fucking Christ you silly mook, you telegraphed that one from two continents away.
I set you up thinking that you set me up, instead of me getting got you got got.

Even your trolling is lame.

Apr 22, 2021, 12:33
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 12:33
Apr 22, 2021, 12:33

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 22, 2021, 12:24:
Did y'all hear the one about the cop that had been on the job for less than 2 years.
He pulls up on the scene of a mentally ill person brandishing a knife and in less than 14 seconds empties half a clip in her when he could have used less lethal means like a taser.
I'll give you three guesses what color her skin was.
Cool huh

Nice. You fell for my obvious trap. You've played your hand too, again, by going for that ridiculous narrative.

Apr 22, 2021, 12:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 12:24
Apr 22, 2021, 12:24

Did y'all hear the one about the cop that had been on the job for less than 2 years.
He pulls up on the scene of a mentally ill person brandishing a knife and in less than 14 seconds empties half a clip in her when he could have used less lethal means like a taser.
I'll give you three guesses what color her skin was.
Cool huh

Apr 22, 2021, 11:55
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 11:55
Apr 22, 2021, 11:55

I think it's safe to say that some of the race-baiting lunatics played their hand when they attacked the cop for shooting the black girl wielding a knife. Hopefully, things will now settle down, now that the veil is lifted.

Apr 22, 2021, 07:54
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 07:54
Apr 22, 2021, 07:54

When the smokers are coughing their lungs up, I wonder if they will reflect on the stupidity of putting smoke in their lungs. Oh well, at least they died horribly doing what they love to do.

Apr 22, 2021, 06:10
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 06:10
Apr 22, 2021, 06:10

“Two officers arrived and located the suspect, .... He was ordered to step from his car. ... Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance

where he died a short time later.

The first police reporting to the public.
It didn't change until the video was released that was filmed by an innocent bystander.

Apr 22, 2021, 05:19
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 05:19
Apr 22, 2021, 05:19

It has been known for centuries that black men are more likely to die in police custody than men of other races.

Why is that?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/i-cant-breathe-asthma-black-men-and-the-police/

3 cries of 'I can't breathe.' 3 black men dead after interactions with police

Three Words. 70 Cases. The Tragic History of ‘I Can’t Breathe.’
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/28/us/i-cant-breathe-police-arrest.html

cheers

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2021, 05:29.

Apr 22, 2021, 03:49
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2021, 03:49
Apr 22, 2021, 03:49

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 21, 2021, 21:03:
Quinn wrote on Apr 21, 2021, 20:42:
Yes Mr. Tact and for all we know he is the asshole he seems to be in that video. Not questioning that. It's the fact he's used as proof for systemic racism that I have a problem with. It is all such a fucking circus. And the dumb fuckers just eat it up. I have no crystal ball but I guarantee one thing: this all will fix nothing and will only worsen race relations. 100%. And if you're not all coming together, left and right, to speak out against the riots and the looting and "systemic racism" rhetoric coming from one side of the aisle, and stop the mainstream media from tearing your country in two, heads will roll. It will get worse and worse and worse. Mark my words.
Was this a case of racism? We simply don't know. The reason people see it as systematic racism is the rash of deaths of minorities at the hands of police. It is difficult to criticize their conclusion.

You say you're sure this will worsen race relations. Are you saying an acquittal would have made things better? If not that, then what are you suggesting should have happened to make things better? Just reduced media coverage? That seems like a pointless hope, that ship left the dock a long time ago...

I suggest not to make everything about race, and somehow form some single voice against race-baiting media and politicians, and have honest conversations about it with eachother. I'm suggesting that when a verdict is given of charges that have nothing to do with racism, politicians and the media shouldn't somehow use Chauvin as the sacrificial lamb against "systemic racism". This won't help anything except for malevolent movements. After the verdict, a mob in New York targeted white restaurant owners telling them to get the fuck out and protests immediately erupt when a knife wielding teen gets shot while she attempts to stab another teen, just because she's black. That's the stage you guys are in due to all the race-baiting. See with your own eyes the deterioration of your society.

I suggest removing a good dose of blind emotion out of the equation and take a good hard look what's really the problem with policing in America. Hint: it's not "racism period". I suggest to sit back, relax, listen to Sam Harris' podcast linked in my signature and his latest incredibly interesting podcast Police Training & Police Misconduct: A Conversation with Rener Gracie. For starters.

Police make 10 million arrests a year. About 1k people are killed by cops a year. The vast majority of those people are armed. Of the 2 dozen or so who are unarmed lady year, 14 were black. 14 out of 10.000.000 arrests. And "unarmed" btw, is a term that's used very loosely according to the data that tracks all of this. So fuck this narrative everyone is fooled into. There are literally people questioned about black people getting shot by police. There are people that think blacks are getting shot by police by the thousands a year. Thank your media and your sheep for that narrative. That's not Fox' doing, and you know it.

Lastly, take people like Beamer's intellectual honesty with a grain of salt for fucks' sake. After all, even when jdryer told him my signature Sam Harris podcast was actually pretty interesting and a good addition to the discussion about systemic racism, the guy said he tried the podcast but couldn't continue listening NOT because of its substance, but because Sam talks too slow/monotonous. That's cognitive dissonance at a level that should concern anyone.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2021, 04:35.
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older